• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have arachnophobia BUT if you toggle that mode on what does it do? Does it turn the spiders into a crazy weird robot monster or something? Or does it just disable spiders? Because if it's the latter I feel like that's a huge loss as the spiders are the big prey of the game and by prey I mean they will hunt you for a large potion of the game and you'll reach a point where you can hunt them too.
It doesn't remove them. They just look less like spiders. They'll slowly have less legs and eventually just look like two orbs (one for the torso and one for the head).

Someone posted a link to an article showing what it does. Lemme see if I can find it.

edit: ah, here
www.polygon.com

Grounded caters to those with arachnophobia in a very unusual way

A slider lets you adjust how much spider shows up on screen

The mode also removes all the chittering and squeaking usually ascribed to video game spiders.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have arachnophobia BUT if you toggle that mode on what does it do? Does it turn the spiders into a crazy weird robot monster or something? Or does it just disable spiders? Because if it's the latter I feel like that's a huge loss as the spiders are the big prey of the game and by prey I mean they will hunt you for a large potion of the game and you'll reach a point where you can hunt them too.

It just makes their heads and eyes and removed the hair and legs. So they are still there..you just can't see all of the details of them.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
here i was excited to play with friends....but it sounds like our progress doesnt carry over, big downer

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
jesus fuck. i'd die if i was hunted by a spider. are they goofy at least? or kidna realistic?

I'm thinking of moving that slider to the max right now.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
It doesn't remove them. They just look less like spiders. They'll slowly have less legs and eventually just look like two orbs (one for the torso and one for the head).

Someone posted a link to an article showing what it does. Lemme see if I can find it.

edit: ah, here
www.polygon.com

Grounded caters to those with arachnophobia in a very unusual way

A slider lets you adjust how much spider shows up on screen
Oh wow so they just kind of become floating heads? That's going to look weird. I'm not sure what else they could do though. Looking at that article makes me kind of creeped out actually, I think I might be afraid of a floating body/head of a spider without the legs. I'm not acrophobic but I think I'd be more afraid of some floating disembodied things chasing me around.

Last edited:

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
jesus fuck. i'd die if i was hunted by a spider. are they goofy at least? or kidna realistic?

I'm thinking of moving that slider to the max right now.
Yeah like TheKeyPit said... they're not goofy.

3VoUWHc.gif

Sd2vpSz.gif

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Oh wow so they just kind of become floating heads? That's going to look weird. I'm not sure what else they could do though. Looking at that article makes me kind of creeped out actually, I think I might be afraid of a floating body/head of a spider without the legs. I'm not acrophobic but I think I'd be more afraid of some floating disembodied things chasing me around.
I tried the mode set to max in the beta and a floating orb moving through grass was just as terrifying :D

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Wow I'm not arachnophobic but that second gif gives me the willies.
The fact the big blades of grass move gives me the willies too... it hits on some survival horror feels for me and I'm not scared of spiders at all. But I also kind of think I wouldn't be scared of the Alien if it was an inch in size but the fact it's bigger than me and is terrifying is why I can't make it though more than 10 minutes of Alien Isolation. Spiders are the top tier enemies in this game too, like end game monsters, so you've got to go to fight them super geared up or run when you see them.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
No, but it seems like there is only one main save game and your co-op partners are basically working on your progression and your savegame.
A bit like the first Minecraft console versions without server. So your kid will be able to build his own house and everything, no problem and all map progression will be staying for you and your map of course, but I'm not sure yet how exactly the game saves co-op characters and if they keep like items and progression when they leave and rejoin later or if co-op people can only really progress in their own savegame. That's a bit unclear for now since all the dev vlogs we're talking several times about how co-op people can help you, the main person, to build blueprints and stuff, if you put them down, but how they talked about it sounded more like only you as host can do that which makes all co-op guys only being co-worker for your savegame.
In a parent kid scenario that will probably be completely fine, but for everyone wanting to have a real co-op feeling, this could be a bit disappointing.

Oh okay cool. Yeah in that scenario, I think he would probably have the main save and me end up being the co-op helper haha. But yeah you're right, looking for the real co-op feeling with a friend or something, that is kind of disappointing. Thanks for the reply and the info!

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually really looking forward to this one. Which is weird, because I generally dislike survival games, foraging games, and base building games - so perhaps not surprisingly this game was initially way off my radar. However, when they did the game preview demo thing a while back I tried it on a whim since it was free and for whatever reason, it really clicked with me.

My biggest issue was the time gate on the demo which meant I couldn't really explore at my pace, so I'm looking forward to the release later today where that won't be an issue. Could be that when I actually can play the game instead of rushing through it, I'll start to have issues with it the same way I do with other survival/foraging/base building games. I'm hopeful that with the loose quest structure Obsidian has dropped in though will be enough guidance for me to really have fun - because the environment is just a joy to walk around. Really nails that feeling of being super small in your backyard.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Buddies and I put a ton of time into Conan Exiles once upon a time. Hoping I can get the gang together for this, it really is a fun concept.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
It seems weird to cater to arachnophobia in a game that still has gigantic wasps buzzing after you right? Like... I don't think there is anything wrong with the options to make spiders less scary for people scared of spiders. But once you've done that, don't you have to have options for people scared of bees and wasps too?

Oct 27, 2017
It seems weird to cater to arachnophobia in a game that still has gigantic wasps buzzing after you right? Like... I don't think there is anything wrong with the options to make spiders less scary for people scared of spiders. But once you've done that, don't you have to have options for people scared of bees and wasps too?

I think arachnophobia is a much more common phenomenon than fear of wasps or bees.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I also have a gigantic arachnophobia, but I want this thrill in the game. Give me all the goosebumps.

Edit:

And it's online!

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Loved the demo, even if it was timed. Looking forward to jumping back Into this full version and seeing how deep it goes haha.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
As someone with aracnophobia i agree. They should allow for all insects to be changed.

That said there are so many phobias that it might be hard to help everyone. For me that sldier is a difference of wait for a bundle to see if i can tolerate the game to lets aks my GF to play for a round.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
What frame rate does the Xbox One X have? Can anyone that's played it offer their impression of this? Thanks!

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Just tried it force but and yeah this is definitely a survival game with all the usual trappings. I think I am kinda other those.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I can't see what my framerate it because for some reason it's not in the top right with every other game (nvidia overlay) but it feels pretty good at 4K with all graphics set to Epic. Anyone know how to get the framerate to appear on games from the Microsoft Store/Xbox Games Pass App on PC?

My current objective says 'Find more evidence' for the Investigate Surroundings quest. Not sure where I should go but can I just build a base now and start collecting stuff?

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't lunch the game, says "For this, the owner needs to sign in", already restarted the console and reinstalled the game.

Any tips?

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I can see a buy button on PC and a disclaimer that it comes with Game Pass, but no install button for the Game Pass version. How do you download it?

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Weird, I'm not seeing the option to download it through Game Pass on Xbox.

It only gives me the option to buy it.