• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Turbowaffles

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Or keep the doors locked and only let a few customers in at a time. Or better yet, all three of those options. That way you can make sure older people can get their essentials as well, since they probably wouldn't know how to order online or even through a phone.

But they might take a hit in profits so this will never happen.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like a logistical nightmare, especially when lots of people are cash-only and some don't use apps to order. It's not something for a large store to feasibly be done in a very quick time, especially when grocery trips can be huge. You would also need A LOT of workers to fulfill these orders.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Or keep the doors locked and only let a few customers in at a time. Or better yet, all three of those options. That way you can make sure older people can get their essentials as well, since they probably wouldn't know how to order online or even through a phone.

They would also have to fire or furlough alot of there staff too.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Honestly, they don't have a decent system in place for all of that. Select walmarts and grocery stores JUST started doing similar things in very limited numbers last year.

Hope this changes things

Curbside/vehicle delivery is the future and definitely allows for far more employees to be hired at these stores.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I know in my area a lot of the stores have special early mornings hour(s) for seniors and immuno-compromised people.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Pretty much every store near me has senior hours in place. I cannot imagine how it would be remotely feasible to fulfill every single grocery order if they were all curbside or delivery. That sounds like a logistical nightmare, especially with every single person inevitably having to replace an item here or there that is sold out.

Jun 6, 2019

Our local Trader Joe's is only letting in 5 people at a time. We also have senior hours mandated by our city.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
How are people supposed to buy food if they're closed? What about those who unable to access online delivery services?

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
My grocery store actually shut down the pickup service because they couldn't keep up.

Meanwhile the Whole Foods delivery option remains a hilarious fiction.

You might want to check out a local smaller market. My local market is doing curbside pickup.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I would welcome this. I have family working at Walmart. They're really afraid and want to quit but can't because they need money. Being open for seniors for an hour in the morning is ok.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, they don't have a decent system in place for all of that. Select walmarts and grocery stores JUST started doing similar things in very limited numbers last year.

Hope this changes things

Curbside/vehicle delivery is the future and definitely allows for far more employees to be hired at these stores.

At some point we'll get to "we can't afford not to do trunk delivery" either because cashiers refuse to work or customers refuse to come inside

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Our Dollar General gives preferential treatment to the elderly from 8am to 9am but we're not allowed to tell people they can't come in so it's really no different than usual.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This would hurt a lot of the people that need it most. People that tend to be cash only or without smartphones or computers, which tends to translate to either old or poor.

Most stores should absolutely be doing more though. Nobody should be coming into my store just to buy flowers and potentially exposing me and potentially many others just for that sort of shit.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
i don't think that's necessary in america because here in europe even though it's also not so good right now, it isn't necessary to close grocery stores

there's no way you would meet the demand for logistics if you had to suddenly do this. you will have big delays in food delivery.

in germany atm if you go to edeka etc, only 1 person is allowed to do actual shopping (i.e. wife and husband not allowed, 1 must wait outside), and you must use a trolley to force distance also

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Grocery stores can't close. If we did online orders it would be a logistical nightmare and only a few would actually benefit.

My store does do senior hour in the morning but I'm not sure how successful it is.

CKDexterHaven

Nov 26, 2017

This happens here in Austin already .

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I called my local Aldi and disabled people aren't included in their special hours. Bummer.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, this is an overreaction and a terrible take. They need to control the amounts of people inside at a time, as many are already doing in the Bay Area, to great effect. Most stores are also offering senior/at-risk only hours before opening. This has nothing to do with profits. People need groceries.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
A cashier I know said since she needs a paycheck and HAS to work she'd prefer if the store moved to curbside only and only employees were allowed in the store. She knows it'd be more work for her and every employee, but she feels she'd be able to better maintain proper social distancing. She's has constant anxiety from customers in her line getting too close and coughing and sneezing.

But still every single one of my local grocery stores now has an optional curbside pickup. One of the small ones that had no real online presence now basically has just has a simple online order form on it's website for curbside pickup, where you can just manually write out your grocery list and they'll try their best to get it in the store.

Every store also has early hours just for seniors.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
No, this is an overreaction and a terrible take. They need to control the amounts of people inside at a time, as many are already doing in the Bay Area, to great effect. Most stores are also offering senior/at-risk only hours before opening. This has nothing to do with profits. People need groceries.

Places in NY just end up having lines around the block because of that policy, kinda defeats the purpose

OP
OP
Turbowaffles

Turbowaffles

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I see your points about the online ordering, but as I said in my OP we can also lock the doors and let only a certain amount of people in at a time. This would greatly reduce risk, and most stores at least in my area are NOT doing this except for the senior hours, which I am aware of.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, I see your points about the online ordering, but as I said in my OP we can also lock the doors and let only a certain amount of people in at a time. This would greatly reduce risk, and most stores at least in my area are NOT doing this except for the senior hours, which I am aware of.
Grocery stores in major cities are already doing this, so I guess it's worth checking on why it's not being done locally in your area.
Places in NY just end up having lines around the block because of that policy, kinda defeats the purpose
At least in SF people are practicing good discipline and keeping > 6ft apart, even in line, which seems fine to me.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If it were logistically possible to do this, stores would already be implementing it. It's too cumbersome and labor intensive to do without effectively redesigning the entire store.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are expecting everyone to have access to the internet, set up an online account for walmart, kroger, and cvs pharmacy, and access to cars. You are expecting thousands of mom and pop shop grocery stores to have curb side pick up like in rich suburbs.

let people shop. as long as they are practicing social distancing and keep moving. target wipes every trolly or basket before they give it you. they wipe each register after its been used. thats what walmart needs to do.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Sounds like a logistical nightmare, especially when lots of people are cash-only and some don't use apps to order. It's not something for a large store to feasibly be done in a very quick time, especially when grocery trips can be huge. You would also need A LOT of workers to fulfill these orders.
My local Walmart offers curbside delivery, they're completely booked up, can't get a spot.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you thought this through, OP, especially the delivery part which just wouldn't handle everyone.

Besides, pretty much every store in London is doing "one in, one out" with a limited number. That's the best we can do.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Costco has been letting in a certain number of people while having others wait in line. The lines are long as hell, but it allows them to manage their stock better (AKA: weed out the hoarders who try buying more than what they allow), and allows some social distancing to keep people safe.

Online grocery shopping only would be a nightmare, and not worth the hassle.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017

Many places are already doing just that.

Oct 27, 2017
Curbside pickup for every customer isn't practical, stores would need a huge number of employees. Grocery stores aren't designed to function like warehouses, the layout isn't optimized for staff to process large amounts of orders like that.

Oct 27, 2017
That's not feasible and would likely result in longer lines that are more dangerous than the inside of the store.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Further restricting access to groceries in a timely fashion is a good way to cause added stress. As long as you are keeping reasonable distance from other customers/employees, you should be safe.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Making people wait on food isn't a good idea, some people don't go grocery shopping until their fridge is completely empty. If they have to wait at least 24 hours to get anything delivered that's a long time to go without food.