• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
my city is relatively small and hasn't had a recorded case but I went to buy groceries for 3-4 weeks and Jesus all the meats were gone. Frozen meals were fine and while some specific brands of stuff that I like were gone I was still able to get other similar stuff. I can't imagine what it'll be like the second there's a recorded case in the area.
Same here, all clear and no reason to panic necessarily in my area but it's the same. I've never seen any stores as 'ravaged' as I have in my area.

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
1mry.gif

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Amazon Fresh won't deliver until at least April 14 (NYC area) - I'm not expecting todays delivery to arrive either, so I'll need to start rationing.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Do our shopping at Marianos around the northwest suburbs here in Illinois and when I went yesterday for the first time in weeks it wasn't bad at all. Granted they did have every single line open. But I was able to walk right up and get out within an hour easy.

TP/Paper towel definitely cleaned out though. And the Pasta section was destroyed. Everything else was in stock though. Also made sure to thank both people helping me check out.

Thank these people! They are busting their asses for sure and interacting with people constantly all day. Be nice no matter what
I went to the Mariano's in my neighborhood in the city and it wasn't that bad Friday morning. They had everything we needed but TP/cleaning supplies were cleaned out. We were actually able to walk right up to a self checkout and leave. I really wish these companies would give their workers extra pay because I can't even imagine how exhausted this past week has been.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Grocery store worker here. Lucked out right now because on vacation for kids spring break. But my buddy has kept me up on sales and doing almost double than projected. I go back Wed. I'm not looking forward to it.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
HEB isn't 24 hours. There was already lines before they changed the hours, instead of 4am for the 6am opening people are there at 6am for 8am openings now.

Yeah but closing it at 8pm yesterday and telling people they would open at 8am wasn't going to end pretty. I have enough food for two weeks, so I'm not going to bother there. Maybe at the mom and pop shops if necessary

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Giant eagle got rid of 24 hours.

The chain I work corporate for never did 24 hours so we're doing ok.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully over the next few weeks people will realize that the US, of all countries, is in no danger of running out of food.

I do wonder what this will do to food supply for other countries that we export to if the food industry can sell at higher margins here for a little while?

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
So glad we already had a bunch off toilet rolls in the house before this kicked off. Even if I had to buy a 4 pack now I haven't seen them anywhere (NW UK).

Feel for anyone working retail, even more so than usual.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
We ordered 10,000 pieces for last night and it never showed up, so people came into an empty store. Tonight is gonna be crazy when it shows up.

Borgnine

Oct 25, 2017
At the store now, honestly hasn't really effected my weekly shopping trip due to the poor nutritional choices of most Americans. The Rice-a-roni is sold out but there's plenty of fresh strawberries. No wonderbread but piles of fresh baked bread from the bakery. Y'all are so fucking gross I swear.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
My Winco is closing from Midnight to 5 am now, they have a 4 item limit on Toilet Paper/Hand sanitzer/Medicine/etc. I didn't check the toilet paper because i'm not a fucking idiot, the flu medicine looked pretty decimated (thankfully i always keep some in stock at my house), the winco branded oats and winco branded canned tuna were out, but there were name brands available.

I didn't check the chicken/meat because i already had some. It wasn't nearly as bad as i was fearing. I live in Oklahoma so there's a huge chunk of the population that thinks this is a hoax and aren't changing their behavior.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I've been as nice as possible to everyone in any retail position the last week. Has not stopped people getting screamed at for being out of beans and TP.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I use to work at MDI which is a food distributor for grocery stores mainly in the Southeast. I always hated the job because it was a back breaking fast paced job with long shitty hours. They preach shit like good lifting techniques but none of that shit matters when you're on a timer and have ridiculously large orders where you're supposed to stack two 7ft tall pallets of "stuff".

I quit that job 3 years ago and took a job making much less money(at first) and have no regrets. I can only imagine now how bad it is for any of my old co workers that are still there right now. The thing is that we didn't get to leave until we fulfilled all the orders. It didn't matter what our "schedule" was. No one leaves until work is finished and if it takes 15 hours then so be it.

Last edited:

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
Outside of the obvious, ~95% of the stuff in my area are still available.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda the same thing happened to us.

We got a fraction of it, but are expecting a stupid amount tonight because the rest was MIA.

It's gonna be a clusterfuck.

A fraction is better than none. You closed a full 8 to stock?

The follow up order was around 8,000, but we didn't get any of the first order. Everyone is hoping they cancel the follow up and only the previous shows up. Even with things flying off the shelf we don't have room for all of it to show up at once.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
A fraction is better than none. You closed a full 8 to stock?

The follow up order was around 8,000, but we didn't get any of the first order. Everyone is hoping they cancel the follow up and only the previous shows up. Even with things flying off the shelf we don't have room for all of it to show up at once.

Yep, 8 hrs closed.

They were expecting the rest of it to show up sometime today (where it will no doubt wait till the night), and on top of that made it sound like someone had already placed another order, so while I don't actually know the specifics, I know it's gonna be bad.

I'm not actually in charge of any of that shit anymore, but I do know we don't even have the people to do it, so a bunch of it is surely just going to remain in the back after my shift tonight and hopefully slowly worked during the day as well.

I knew something like this would happen, and am not really sweating it, but management seem to be panicking as much as the shoppers coming through the store. It's wild.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, our store's distro had problems so we didn't get dry goods in yesterday to put up at night, so it came this morning just in time for that department to stay overtime to stock .. toilet paper! yay!!!

Our meat and frozen sections are empty disaster zones despite receiving their deliveries. I was in dairy and made the most of what I had delivered and in overstock so my section looked sparse but ok. I would have helped grocery stock by staying overtime too, but I need to recuperate. My elbow is feeling sore and I worry about repetitive stress injuries a lot.

I'm coming in all 7 days and likely staying overtime at least an hour or four each day.

Also since I am in Canada and in a union and am full-time, the pay is not bad. It's "acceptable".

I worry most about the cashiers having to interact with so many customers and sanitizing their hands constantly because of it. I think I am relatively safe because I'm all overnights except a couple of store open hours.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Used to work in a grocery store, we were always understaffed but I imagine it's a warzone right now. Wonder how they're doing.

I can only imagine there were dozens of palettes of toilet paper in the yard.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use to work at MDI which is a food distributor for grocery stores mainly in the Southeast. I always hated the job because it was a back breaking fast paced job with long shitty hours. They preach shit like good lifting techniques but none of that shit matters when you're on a timer and have ridiculously large orders where you're supposed to stack two 7ft tall pallets of "stuff".

I quit that job 3 years and took a job making much less money(at first) and have no regrets. I can only imagine now how bad it is for any of my old co workers that are still there right now. The thing is that we didn't get to leave until we fulfilled all the orders. It didn't matter what our "schedule" was. No one leaves until work is finished and if it takes 15 hours then so be it.
Man... Reading stuff like this, it reminds me of how lucky I am I've been able to just leave shitty jobs and jumped into something less shitty.

3 whole years? Damn. I've never been able to commit more then a year to any job outside a work study position. I can't imagine being in such a bad job that's back breaking for three years.

I don't understand how people can commit to these jobs for so long.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, 8 hrs closed.

They were expecting the rest of it to show up sometime today (where it will no doubt wait till the night), and on top of that made it sound like someone had already placed another order, so while I don't actually know the specifics, I know it's gonna be bad.

I'm not actually in charge of any of that shit anymore, but I do know we don't even have the people to do it, so a bunch of it is surely just going to remain in the back after my shift tonight and hopefully slowly worked during the day as well.

I knew something like this would happen, and am not really sweating it, but management seem to be panicking as much as the shoppers coming through the store. It's wild.
We were open 24/7, but with the loads being so big we closed down for 5 hours one night. I have no clue why they thought 5 hours for loads that big with like 8-10 people would be enough. Now they're trying 7 hours. I couldn't even unload the frozen trucks because lines were so long they blocked the back doors.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They need to limit both the amount of product someone can buy along with limiting the number of customers inside a store for a certain amount of time.

Yesterday I saw one person buying an entire shelf of soup cans was and it was one of the most ridiculous things I'll ever see.

StillEdge

Oct 29, 2017
I agree the workers should be paid more in general, but if you start paying them more to work during this time I would think that encourages sick people to work and spread it more.

Oct 27, 2017
When I was at Fred Meyer this morning I overheard two cashiers talking in the self-checkout area and they said management was hiring people on the spot.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
3 whole years? Damn. I've never been able to commit more then a year to any job outside a work study position. I can't imagine being in such a bad job that's back breaking for three years.

I don't understand how people can commit to these jobs for so long.

I made a mistake, I meant to say "3 years ago". I actually worked the job for 6 and half years. And why did I and so many people work there and why do so many of us stay there? Simply put it's the pay. It's not a somewhat small town with not many options. You can go there and quickly make almost 20 an hour or go somewhere else and start at 10-12 and slowly move up maybe 50 cents or so a year.

For some the pain is worth it. For me I got to use to it. I wanted out but couldn't bring myself to possibly be making only half of what I did before considering I'm just a HS graduate with no college degree to fall back on.

Nov 11, 2017
Am I wrong in thinking the amount of 'panic buying' is being overblown?

I see a lot of 'I just want 2-3 weeks of food and the shelves are empty! People are ridiculous'. But people that go to the grocery story multiple times in a week for just a few items are now buying for 2-3 weeks. That means empty shelves and people working full time to restock them.

Is buying 2-3 weeks of food 'panicking'? We are supposed to minimize going out.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I need Tide pods to have for dinner tonight. But I dont want to go if people are dumb enough to hoard detergent too. Maybe I'll go later tonight when they've all creeped back to their homes with their 20 cases of milk and toilet paper.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I wrong in thinking the amount of 'panic buying' is being overblown?

I see a lot of 'I just want 2-3 weeks of food and the shelves are empty! People are ridiculous'. But people that go to the grocery story multiple times in a week for just a few items are now buying for 2-3 weeks. That means empty shelves and people working full time to restock them.

Is buying 2-3 weeks of food 'panicking'? We are supposed to minimize going out.

It has to die down eventually. I'd expect it to shift into a pattern where people show up infrequently and buy a few weeks' worth of stuff.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I need Tide pods to have for dinner tonight. But I dont want to go if people are dumb enough to hoard detergent too. Maybe I'll go later tonight when they've all creeped back to their homes with their 20 cases of milk and toilet paper.
Friday there were ONLY pods. Ridiculous, but I settled on pods this time. Just been handwashing after each meal anyway.