• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
The mass hysteria combined with panic buying is absolutely wiping out EVERYTHING at grocery stores across the United States. I'm a department head at a major grocery retail chain in the US. We have literally maxed out anyone in the store who is willing to pull 40+ hours, throughout the ENTIRE store. These past few days feel like some sort of grocery store Black Friday frenzy. We are ordering ludicrous loads to meet the demand, and that is directly affecting the workers at the warehouses. I read that they are having to work 80+ hours to meet the increased demand and they can't keep up. It's just insanity.

I believe the latest stance from my company was that they are offering 2 weeks of PTO "if" you test positive for COVID-19. What an absolute joke.

I understand the importance of keeping grocery chains open because you can't just close off the food supply for an unknown amount of time. I get that, but honestly, we deserve hazard pay, time and a half or some other form of serious compensation for this fucking shit. I feel like I'm in a mosh pit of potential infection, with no way to protect myself.

There needs to be a national movement towards helping and keeping us safe right now.

The district manager is supposed to be in my store this week. Because having an executive walk during this pandemonium will be so very helpful.

Javaman

Oct 31, 2017
As long as consumption stays the same and supply chains don't collapse it should eventually fix itself. All the people who stocked up aren't going to be buying as much as they normally do giving things a chance to catch up. It's just like artificial gas shortages where supplies all run out because everyone buys at once and then far fewer people need to fill gas for the next 2 weeks. I'd imagine there will be some big changes in demand for home cooking items if restaurants end up shutting down.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, my dad is also a department manager at a retail store in Texas (HEB). Everyone is working holiday hours without the additional temp staff that would come with the holiday.

HEB (at least in the Houston area) straight up shortened their hours to 8-8 (normal hours are 6am-12am I believe) because there's no way they could keep up, not only with stock but also because employees were just exhausted.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Yeah, Publix shortened their hours as well. Don't blame them one bit.

Last edited:

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I just read that Wal-Mart is axing all 24 hour serivces right now and pulling them back so they can actually clean and re-stock between days.

I can't believe it's taken until now to get that done.

edit: lol beaten.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but it's not an effort to reduce the spread of infection.

I think I'm just bitter right now because I feel like I have zero protections in place to prevent me from the inevitability that I'm catching this thing.
I think it's fine for those who still aren't prepared to stay at home for a while. But I feel you.

I'm a sys Engineer at a hospital and my wife works at a grocery store. My daughter goes to daycare... I'm worried too. They won't let my wife stay home unless she has symptoms.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I can only imagine.. I work for a major label printer and the orders that have been coming in from cleaning and food companies are mind blowing. We can not keep up...

Tip anyone who is driving ot your home well.. We went out to eat yesterday and were one of 2 families there. I tipped more than I ever have as these people depend on tips. So on one hand tip those that are in a crazy time right now and tip those who have nobody there to tip.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I went to Kroger yesterday trying to get some tp (I'm out and not trying to horde) expecting the worst. The place was surprisingly pretty empty. No tp though. I wish the stupid fucks hording it realized we produce the shit domestically. China doesn't come into the equation. Now I'm wasting crazy water, much more than bidet levels of waste, just to take a numero dos.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Our local Loblaws just reduced its hours from 24hr to 6-10 just so that they can clean and restock over night. So I believe it.

Was talking to some employees (and my brother) the other day and they've seen some shit the past couple days.

Also nobody ever says it until shit hits the fan, but seriously thanks to all the people in grocery for keeping things running despite the panic-induged-madness. You definately don't get paid enough given the risk (virus, harassment and violence from customers freaking out).

The Stig

Oct 25, 2017
Last three days just pushed us to a record week at my warehouse. I expect the coming weeks to be brutal. Thanksgiving ain't got shit on Corona.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly why I've been picking up extra food for the past few weeks. I shouldn't have to go shopping for a few weeks now.

Sorry to hear that people freaking out have affected your lives for the worse. Good luck.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
cap high salaries right now, no bonus nor dividends this year and redistribute the money right away to people who are working. that's what any company should be forced to do in the next coming weeks.
it's infuriating how people who are extremely necessary in an emergency situation are treated, financially, like total shit.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went to Kroger yesterday trying to get some tp (I'm out and not trying to horde) expecting the worst. The place was surprisingly pretty empty. No tp though. I wish the stupid fucks hording it realized we produce the shit domestically. China doesn't come into the equation. Now I'm wasting crazy water, much more than bidet levels of waste, just to take a numero dos.

employers should allow employees to have swampass

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I wonder how huge the crowds will be tomorrow morning before open. Every day is black friday!

That's the thing, it doesn't seem to stop. Like I have supplies until like Wednesday, trying to extend it as much as I can. Thinking it might calm down a bit. But somehow people keep going back and keep emptying the shelves. Like how much supplies do you need? Seriously, I'm sure a lot of people are double-dipping. Like they have a full pantry now, and they're going back every day to fill another space somewhere in their house or their garage.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
If only union's were there to fight for your rights. All big box companies straight up have union busting built into their training material.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I truly hope that everyone got the panic buying out of their system this weekend. Fucks sake its just a machine that feeds itself. People over buy because they are panicked, then others see barren shelves so they over buy.....

Also a heart felt "Thank you" to every single person working in retail during all of this. If you don't hear it enough, you are appreciated.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
For real, grocery store workers should be paid more from the start because they're basically an essential service. And pay should be even bigger during times like these. Even people who don't agree with it on a philosophical level should just look at it from a rational perspective. If all grocery stores workers decide to fuck off during the outbreak, we are beyond FUCKED.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
my city is relatively small and hasn't had a recorded case but I went to buy groceries for 3-4 weeks and Jesus all the meats were gone. Frozen meals were fine and while some specific brands of stuff that I like were gone I was still able to get other similar stuff. I can't imagine what it'll be like the second there's a recorded case in the area.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
by rights all companies would open up their cash coffers and throw money at the situation, yes. in the center of capitalism USA, that will happen too slowly and sproadically, unfort.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I work at Target and things have gotten quite crazy. I went from getting 27 hours to getting close to 40. Thankfully I'll only be here another 2 weeks

Oct 28, 2017
I was just at the HEB and people were losing their minds. Milk was completely gone which was the one thing I wanted. I ended up paying 3.50 for half gallon of overpriced FairLife milk.

Cashier also said they're cutting hours too because they dont have stock to keep the store open.

I hate people so much.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Do you have unions out there for grocery workers? I used to be in one.
Jewel-Osco in the Chicagoland region is union-based. I can't speak for any other grocery chains, though, as I've only ever lived here.

I ended up paying 3.50 for half gallon of overpriced FairLife milk.
Not to make you feel guilty for buying Fair Life, but just a heads-up that they're truly evil. I live about 50 miles from where this took place and it shook the whole area.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I just got back from Publix. Produce section was wiped out.

No chicken at all in the store.

Obviously no soap, paper towels, sanitizer, toilet paper, etc.

Milk and yogurt was running low.

Bread was almost completely gone.

It's insane right now.

Oct 28, 2017
Jewel-Osco in the Chicagoland region is union-based. I can't speak for any other grocery chains, though, as I've only ever lived here.

Not to make you feel guilty for buying Fair Life, but just a heads-up that they're truly evil. I live about 50 miles from where this took place and it shook the whole area.

Yeah I didnt want to buy it but it was that or almond milk. I just wanted out of that hellhole. Jesus please forgive me

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
As long as consumption stays the same and supply chains don't collapse it should eventually fix itself. All the people who stocked up aren't going to be buying as much as they normally do giving things a chance to catch up. It's just like artificial gas shortages where supplies all run out because everyone buys at once and then far fewer people need to fill gas for the next 2 weeks. I'd imagine there will be some big changes in demand for home cooking items if restaurants end up shutting down.
I've been functioning in this scenario. I stocked a but more on pantry and frozen good, but I don't have the kitchen space to store bulk goods. I'm good for maybe 4-5 more days.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
They never tip good in my area. I need to get a different job tbh lol.
I hate people like this. I went to get a pizza on Friday and tipped them $15 just for being at work during this shit. I am being extra nice to everyone in the service industry right now. I hope people finally see why living wages are important for people in the service industry after this if they didn't before.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It is insanity. Places here in my corner of NM are sold out of bread, ramen, pasta, potato's, toilet paper etc. I went to the Lowe's grocery that's here yesterday and I saw a lady filling her cart up with frozen dinners, so I expect those to be wiped out soon.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
From what I saw on social media, there was a huge line at HEB before opening up. Closing early just caused more panic. No barbacoa for me today :(

Yeah I didnt want to buy it but it was that or almond milk. I just wanted out of that hellhole. Jesus please forgive me

I know you had no choice, but a good alternative to Fairlife is HEB's Mootopia as they have the same amount of protein, etc. Just in case you liked Fairlife.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My dad literally leaves everything to last minute, so he decides to do his weekly shopping today. Good fucking luck.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
From what I saw on social media, there was a huge line at HEB before opening up. Closing early just caused more panic. No barbacoa for me today :(

HEB isn't 24 hours. There was already lines before they changed the hours, instead of 4am for the 6am opening people are there at 6am for 8am openings now.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
Do you have unions out there for grocery workers? I used to be in one.

Yeah, our chain has a union.

There is no extra time off for the virus, just them reminding us that we should self quarantine and use up our vacation time and/or sick time to do so. Union does shit.

Part time working almost 40 hours and get 2 paid sick days every 6 months. Hoo-ray.

And yes, our store implemented new hours too. We now open an hour later and close two hours earlier. The problem is the wearhouses not keeping up with the insane demand. Last night was the second night in as many days that we didn't get our delivery we were supposed to. We were actually told the pallets were together for it, but it wasn't even on a truck going into last night, so...

Had about 50 people waiting outside yesterday before we opened at 6am like normal, had even more today waiting around an hour(didn't know the hour change) just being angry.

rycisko

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Do our shopping at Marianos around the northwest suburbs here in Illinois and when I went yesterday for the first time in weeks it wasn't bad at all. Granted they did have every single line open. But I was able to walk right up and get out within an hour easy.

TP/Paper towel definitely cleaned out though. And the Pasta section was destroyed. Everything else was in stock though. Also made sure to thank both people helping me check out.

Thank these people! They are busting their asses for sure and interacting with people constantly all day. Be nice no matter what