• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
i5TI0Zq.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Well that's bit of a spoiler.Spoiler tag maybe?

the best thing is to discover this scene in the game.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Finished this just now. Absolutely beautiful game, outstanding soundtrack. The puzzles were nice and not frustrating and it was freeing to play a platformer where you can't die/have to restart sections over and over. A very serene game to play, thanks in no small part to that soundtrack.

My only complaint is that I just wasn't sure what was really going on and what the game was about. I think it could have been a little more signposted in that respect, for me anyway.

Lovely game though, well worth a play by anyone.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Look at the achievements. ;)
Also there is a secret cutscene in a secret room (if you get all the collectibles) that can give you more hints.
Oh, man. I hadn't seen that cutscene on my playthrough and misinterpreted the game's central metaphor.

I thought that the game was about the girl accepting her own mortality as she was dying from some disease. Turns out it was about her coming to accept the death of her mother.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Look at the achievements. ;)
Also there is a secret cutscene in a secret room (if you get all the collectibles) that can give you more hints.

Maybe my personal preference, but I would have preferred the game itself to be more explicit about it rather than hidden behind achievements and collectibles/locked endings.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe my personal preference, but I would have preferred the game itself to be more explicit about it rather than hidden behind achievements and collectibles/locked endings.
On one hand it makes finding that cutscene (and the contextual clarity that comes with it) more satisfying, but on the other having it hidden means that a lot of people will never know the game's central theme. That's a damn shame because now that I've seen that cutscene my appreciation for the game's metaphor has increased considerably, but it would've had a greater impact if it had been revealed to me during my actual playthrough for sure.

mendo

Nomada Studio
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Oooh thanks everyone :_)

Hola! It's nice to know you also lurk around this lovely place :)

Please accept my thanks for taking part in the creation of this wonderful game. But since you're here, I would like to pick your brain on a certain mini-controversy that's going on the Steam forums right now...

Apparently, a certain bit of the art was changed, and I am pretty certain it was done for no other reason than obtaining that much sought after E for Everyone rating: https://steamcommunity.com/app/683320/discussions/0/3561682880016508597/

The reason why I'm making that assumption is that, being Portuguese myself (from Portugal in this case), I know that my Spanish brothers, much like us, have no issues recognizing the fact that women have nipples.

But since our American cousins have a very different view on this topic, I can't help but thinking that this change was probably forced at the last minute in order not to ruffle any feathers.

Are you free to provide any comments on that? Would be interesting to listen an insider's perspective when it comes to removing content of that sort, especially in such an artistically driven game like GRIS.

My take is that it is a bit of a shame to remove it if (and that IF is what matters the most here) it happened against the developers wishes, taking into account that it looks very tastefully done. There's definitely no fan-servicey stuff going on here.

We took the decission to change that a while ago (way before ratings). Not to appeal anyone in particular, just to not have potential issues later on with ratings in general. It was totally our call, no one forced us to do it, since it doesn't change the experience at all. We only changed 3 or 4 assets :)

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
If it was solely your decision and nothing story related was lost, I can't be upset about your decision, it makes perfect sense business-wise. It's still pretty sad to know that the human body keeps being treated like such a shameful thing by some folks, but I guess them's the breaks.

Speaking of the Steam version, we can expect some patches for bug-fixing and so on, correct? I don't expect DLC for this game, but I hope you already have some kind of plan for the future ;)

Nov 28, 2017
i am pretty sure you have some control on the character,that's how you can get an achievement i think?i've got one here.
in the beginning i didn't touch anything and she was going on her own, in the middle i flicked the analog stick and realized i had control, then went back to not doing anything just to see how it would play out if i didn't control it. perfect run lolz.
but yeah it goes mainly with the thing of there being no point in this game you can die or have to restart something. nothing big, just thought it was kinda funny the game basically plays itself in a lot of points.

mendo

Nomada Studio
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If it was solely your decision and nothing story related was lost, I can't be upset about your decision, it makes perfect sense business-wise. It's still pretty sad to know that the human body keeps being treated like such a shameful thing by some folks, but I guess them's the breaks.

Speaking of the Steam version, we can expect some patches for bug-fixing and so on, correct? I don't expect DLC for this game, but I hope you already have some kind of plan for the future ;)

Yeah one of the many cool things about working with Devolver is that they gave us 100% creative freedom and last call on every singe decission. They really are some incredible people to work with :)

We uploaded a patch that fixes some issues a couple days ago (will show up later on Switch). DLC is not somethign we have in mind right now!

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Bruhhhh

Played this game for maybe half an hour and my reaction is just: No fucking way. What an absolutely gorgeous GORGEOUS game. Audiovisually maybe the best I've ever played. Holy fuck.

Never knew I could enjoy this pure relaxation games this much. Anything else likewise available on the Switch? Just pure laid-back audiovisual stimulation with no stress kinda games. I need this shit for the holiday season.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
mendo

If you don't mind me asking, was the story/theme of GRIS inspired by anyone you or someone on the team knows in real life?

Oct 25, 2017
Game wasn't even on my radar until the past few days but I think I am going to get it on Switch sometime in the next week or two and play it.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
So i just finished it. Beautiful game.

I've read there is some sort of hidden scene. Is there a YouTube link to this?

electristan

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Wife and I just finished this game in one sitting, really lovely.

*Removed* Sorry sorry did not think it really was since it was so short, go play it people :)

Gorgeous art, beautiful music, and great atmosphere.

But play it in a quiet/cozy environment, nice an quite, and get in the mood :)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I've just finished the game. It was beautiful but too abstract. Felt like it was beautiful for the sake of being beautiful and not much else.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game. What a beautiful experience.

mendo
Thank you and the team so much for making it.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Great to see the dev team come to Era to discuss their little gem. It's ready and installed for the Christmas holiday, I'll let you know about my feelings! It's the type of game I want to play when I'm in a relaxed state :)

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Finished it earlier in one session, really strong game to go through that way imo

Perfect pacing and the art style goes in 100% with the music which is GODLIKE

THANK YOU DEVS FOR MAKING THIS AND FOR DEVOLVER FOR PUBLISHING

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Played through the game in one sitting this morning and absolutely loved it. Somehow even manages the impossible by making

the underwater section

pleasant and enjoyable.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
So I have turned around on it; I had a good time by the end. I still have some substantial quibbles aside from the the moments where I think the game shouldn't have taken control away.

My biggest issue with the game if we're to go with the five stages of grief allegory—would be the shadowy monster of acceptance. While the sections including it were some of the most beautiful in an already incredibly beautiful game, I really feel the inclusion of an overtly hostile entity was a mistake in a game without death. I think the monster is obviously necessary for the allegory to work, but that it couldn't actually hurt me defeated tension. To use a kind of kitschy example, I would've preferred Acceptance act like Slender Man aka the Operator does in Marble Hornets. In other words, I would've preferred an antagonist who oppresses simply by watching instead of actually attacking Gris.

I think it would've been awesome if Acceptance was presented through the entire game like Pyramid Head is in this famous early moment from Silent Hill 2, rather than ever presented as a danger in a game without much danger.

5ifvTWc.jpg

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
Hot freaking damn, finished the game about an hour ago and I'm still trying to collect myself.

Absolutely outstanding work, one of the best games that I've played all year, worth every penny.

As someone who already lost his mother, that ending made me cry for half hour straight.
Shit, I'm still crying lol
The ending hit me like a truck, this was the first time that I cryed this much since her death

Thank you mendo and all the team for this experience. Thank you.

Last edited:

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Hot freaking damn, finished the game about an hour ago and I'm strill trying to collect myself.

Absolutely outstanding work, one of the best games that I've played all year, worth every penny.

As someone that already lost his mother, that ending made me cry for half hour straight.
Shit, I'm still crying lol
The ending hit me like a truck, this was the first time that I cryed this much since her death

Thank you mendo and all the team for this experience. Thank you.
This is why games are good. They can touch people in this manner. I'm so glad you could get so much out of this. <3

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the game. Indescribably beautiful. The art, sound, everything is evocative for me in a way I can't really explain. It's like memories of dreams, childhood, love, all echoed and expressed in pathways that I can't fully map in my mind but are all the more touching for it.

Also, having lost one of my best friends a couple of years ago and still dealing with that grief, the game was heart-wrenching and uplifting, and empathetic in a way that is worth infinitely more than the purchase price.

GRIS is one of my all-time favorites without a doubt. Truly an amazing achievement!

MrPhiliasfrog

Oct 25, 2017
This game.

I just finished it this evening and wow. What an experience. It's short but it's one of the best experience I have had with a videogame.

Thank you Nomada studio and mendo.

Yasawas

Oct 27, 2017
Had to look up a walkthrough to be sure I'm trying the right thing here and I am - is the timing/positioning on this just absurdly tight or is it known bug that I don't "catch" the jump properly? Is there some trick to it other than repressing and holding B? Controls have been fine up until now but I've been here for 15 minutes and can't progress.
sZ7uVbc.jpg

Yasawas

Oct 27, 2017
Even weirder - it requires three presses rather than two like every other instance of that mechanic seems to. Bless you, unknown YouTube commenter.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
This game has been in my head & feels since I last beat it. It really hit home for me but I kept questioning the impact cause I wasn't expecting it out of this game out of nowhere. Today, I watched one of my bros play it from start to finish and without a single doubt in my mind now I can say that this game is also truly special. As impactful if not more than my first playthrough of the game. What it does in merging that out of this world audio-visual design and more importantly how it communicates the theme(s) to the player is easily one of the most beatiful things I've ever seen in this medium.

Pleaaaaase play this beautiful game. It is well worth your time.

Yasawas

Oct 27, 2017
Except for that one wee gripe above, this was utterly lovely. Starts out very linear but I appreciated how it seemed to become more puzzley later on and didn't outstay its welcome. So many games do but the last two I've completed recently - Hyper Light Drifter being the other - get length and pacing (particularly at the end) absolutely perfect I reckon.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
Jumped into this after seeing the cover art and glancing at some of the reviews and it was a fantastic experience. Will definitely end up in my top 5 this year, need to think on it for a bit since I just finished it. Starts out somewhat slow but I see now that that's intended and just gets better and better. Almost makes me wish there was a bit more of it because the mechanics and puzzles were quite fun. Would definitely play a sequel or whatever else this team puts out.