• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
r8TZLDP.gif

Haha! Great job man. I appreciate your directional talent here :)

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Just finished this up. The visual and audio direction in this game is incredible, and it's one of the most beautiful games I've played. The game does a great job at fleshing itself out simply by expanding upon its art and music, and it turns itself into something really remarkable by the game's end.

That being said, I do think the actual themes of the game can be lost to being overly vague, I think. I'll spoiler my thoughts:

As you play through, it's clear that the character is sad, but there's not really an arc to how she handles her sadness until the end of the game when it reaches its conclusion. You don't really get a grip on how she's handling her sadness unless you do some really random achievements which tells you what the game is actually about, which is grief and loss. The five achievements you get are the 5 stages of grief, but she doesn't do a good job of expressing any of them to the player, so you have only a vague idea of how she's dealing with her loss. Her only body language is keeping her head down and the points where she buries her head in her hands when she is in the presence of the sad lady statues, so I had no idea what it was she was actually going through until I got the last stage of grief achievement (which is the first one I got). It felt unfulfilling to figure out what she was going through by simply unlocking a rando achievement, which is something that should have been shown by the character instead.

I also think the gameplay is overly simplistic, which at times makes it both too easy and frustrating to understand. There are some weird one-off puzzles that I didn't think could be solved in particular ways because it's not exactly clear what you can and can't do with the environment (e.g. there's a puzzle that involves getting to the top of a metal structure so you can ground pound a switch, but I didn't even know I could get onto it until I looked up the solution).

Overall, Gris feels like a game that could have been truly great if some things were handled differently, but I think anyone who really enjoys fantastic visual and audio design should really play it.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a good video game. Probably going to be on my top 10 list for the year by the time I'm done.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
I had an audio glitch (sound started crackling) during the final cutscene on Switch. Anyone else encountered it?

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
This is one of a handful of new games I'm actually glad I bought this year, but oddly enough I can't say I'm really feeling it. I'm glad this exists, that I'm playing it, and stoked that Devolver published it, but I don't like how eager the game is to yank control away constantly. While it might be physically pointless for me to jump or wiggle during some cinematic sections I don't see a good reason for the game to take away control during a lot of those moments, and I believe games should strive to let the player... play as much as possible. Even in narrative or visually-driven experiences like this.

This certainly is a new soundtrack that's going to be on regularly for me though.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Sí, 100% barcelonins. Barri de Gràcia. De fet l'estudi és al carrer Verdi.
Yes, 100% from Barcelona. Their studio is located at the quite popular Verdi street in the Gràcia neighbourhood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRYJ9AwberM
Oh, and hi fellow catalan Tibarn
Encantat de conèixer més catalans per aquí ( de fet en som uns quants!).

I'm glad to see more European studios being successful, our culture is quite different and the artists/developers here can surely offer some fresh new ideas.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
This game was amazing ! the ost, the design, everything was so good !!!! really glad to bought it on switch, it was nice to play in handheld x)

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
I got to the
eel chase
sequence last night and without a doubt it was the most thrilling thing I've played in a game all year. The music contributes so much to it as well. When I realized it was another sequence like the one in the red level, I immediately turned up my headphones. Soo, so good. The game also totally got me near the end of that but where things pick up again.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I watched my girlfriend play about 3 minutes last night and asked if she wouldn't mind stopping--completely sold me on the game and I want to go in without seeing much of anything I'm going to experience.

mendo

Nomada Studio
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Hola everyone! I'm one of the founders of Nomada and developer of GRIS
My "old forum" account dates to 2006, needless to say it's very special to see an OT of our game in here :)

I'll be around trying to not be such a lurker, but what I really wanted to say is thanks to everyone for playing the game and for the nice words!
HSuplsy.jpg

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Just finished this up. The visual and audio direction in this game is incredible, and it's one of the most beautiful games I've played. The game does a great job at fleshing itself out simply by expanding upon its art and music, and it turns itself into something really remarkable by the game's end.

That being said, I do think the actual themes of the game can be lost to being overly vague, I think. I'll spoiler my thoughts:

As you play through, it's clear that the character is sad, but there's not really an arc to how she handles her sadness until the end of the game when it reaches its conclusion. You don't really get a grip on how she's handling her sadness unless you do some really random achievements which tells you what the game is actually about, which is grief and loss. The five achievements you get are the 5 stages of grief, but she doesn't do a good job of expressing any of them to the player, so you have only a vague idea of how she's dealing with her loss. Her only body language is keeping her head down and the points where she buries her head in her hands when she is in the presence of the sad lady statues, so I had no idea what it was she was actually going through until I got the last stage of grief achievement (which is the first one I got). It felt unfulfilling to figure out what she was going through by simply unlocking a rando achievement, which is something that should have been shown by the character .

actually i disagree.
Maybe i am wrong in my theories,but i think it's well done:

The DENIAL stage is the prologue,where she fell on the floor,don't want to move and then suddenly began to run and jump as if nothing happened.
The underwater segment is The Depression stage
The red level where she can have the ability to DESTROY things,is the ANGER stage.
The green level where she gave apples to the little buddy and receive some help from him,and where she use a powerfull entity (the bird) to her advantage is the BARGAINING stage.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished it up, was great.

I was surprised by some of the reception calling it things like interactive fiction or whatever, as it certainly has more puzzle platformy elements than a lot of the games it gets compared to. I for instance, can't see my niece ever finishing this game at the age she was when she finished Journey.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
My "old forum" account dates to 2006, needless to say it's very special to see an OT of our game in here :)

I'll be around trying to not be such a lurker, but what I really wanted to say is thanks to everyone for playing the game and for the nice words!
HSuplsy.jpg
I'm nearing the end of my playthrough right now, and I just wanted to say that you have some very talented artists on your team.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

Hola! It's nice to know you also lurk around this lovely place :)

Please accept my thanks for taking part in the creation of this wonderful game. But since you're here, I would like to pick your brain on a certain mini-controversy that's going on the Steam forums right now...

Apparently, a certain bit of the art was changed, and I am pretty certain it was done for no other reason than obtaining that much sought after E for Everyone rating: https://steamcommunity.com/app/683320/discussions/0/3561682880016508597/

The reason why I'm making that assumption is that, being Portuguese myself (from Portugal in this case), I know that my Spanish brothers, much like us, have no issues recognizing the fact that women have nipples.

But since our American cousins have a very different view on this topic, I can't help but thinking that this change was probably forced at the last minute in order not to ruffle any feathers.

Are you free to provide any comments on that? Would be interesting to listen an insider's perspective when it comes to removing content of that sort, especially in such an artistically driven game like GRIS.

My take is that it is a bit of a shame to remove it if (and that IF is what matters the most here) it happened against the developers wishes, taking into account that it looks very tastefully done. There's definitely no fan-servicey stuff going on here.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Just got the second ability. I'm going to be taking my sweet time with this one. What a beautiful, beautiful game... mendo, I just hope you know that you and your team knocked it out of the park.

Deleted member 29354

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Beautifully boring. If anyone is still on the fence about the experience, wait for a sale to drop it down to $10. The art is breathtaking, and the soundtrack even more so. I found myself standing still just to breath it all in, but the feeling is fleeting the more you play. I expected a bit more platforming challenge but the optional side challenges will fit that bit with exploration. Like a fine dessert in a restaurant, it is presented beautifully, is sweet going down, and but makes you wish you had something meatier as an earlier course. It's still dessert though.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

HSuplsy.jpg
YOU MADE MY GIRLFRIEND CRY YOU MONSTERS

Thank for making one of my favorite games of 2018. Muchísimas gracias!

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm curious about something. I think I'm almost done with the game, but I feel like I've inadvertently skipped some sections.

Maybe I just accidentally missed some of the optional pick-ups, but are there segments of the game that you can do in a different order? Or is there a fully-prescribed order in which you encounter every level and sequence?

I can't tell if the game is open-ended at all or if I just accidentally skipped some stuff.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this utterly beautiful game in one go today. Wow, this was just soooo beautiful and lovely. Gave me goosebumps at multiple sections playing with decent headphones & volume cranked up. Absolutely adored every single minute of this beautiful journey.

Just buy it and play it, because it is well worth your time. <3

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
I'm curious about something. I think I'm almost done with the game, but I feel like I've inadvertently skipped some sections.

Maybe I just accidentally missed some of the optional pick-ups, but are there segments of the game that you can do in a different order? Or is there a fully-prescribed order in which you encounter every level and sequence?

I can't tell if the game is open-ended at all or if I just accidentally skipped some stuff.

you just skipped some collectibles.

collecting all of the collectibles will give you access to a secret room with a special cutscene.

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Finished the game today. Great experience.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017

HSuplsy.jpg
Thanks for the best three hours I spent with my friend all year. We loved it! <3

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Well done, Nomada. Just finished and loved how the entire journey was put into context at the end. I was worried that the entire premise of the metaphor would be left completely up to interpretation by the end, so I was glad to see it clearly communicated without relying on exposition of any kind.

Beautiful stuff. I didn't cry, but I definitely got goosebumps on a number of occasions. Can't wait to see what these devs do next.

Nov 28, 2017
I got to the
eel chase
sequence last night and without a doubt it was the most thrilling thing I've played in a game all year. The music contributes so much to it as well. When I realized it was another sequence like the one in the red level, I immediately turned up my headphones. Soo, so good. The game also totally got me near the end of that but where things pick up again.
lost its impact with me when i realized
you don't actually have to control the character at all. i thought i was still in a cutscene, so i wasn't even touching the controller, and she outran it all the way to the end lol.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
you don't actually have to control the character at all. i thought i was still in a cutscene, so i wasn't even touching the controller, and she outran it all the way to the end lol.
Yeah, I thought that was a strange choice too. Maybe their design goal was to never have a fail state in the game.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
mendo
Congrats on the beautiful game, i'm really glad it's performing so well :)
Looking forward to what's next from you guys!

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018

i am pretty sure you have some control on the character,that's how you can get an achievement i think?i've got one here.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

HSuplsy.jpg
Be proud of your work, because GRIS is fantastic!

Oct 25, 2017

HSuplsy.jpg

What a fantastic experience, congrats to you and the whole team involved (and the Berlinist orchestra) for realising it so well.

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
Damn, I was not even aware that this game existed.

Thanks for creating this thread, I will definitely pick this up this holiday.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Beautifully boring. If anyone is still on the fence about the experience, wait for a sale to drop it down to $10. The art is breathtaking, and the soundtrack even more so. I found myself standing still just to breath it all in, but the feeling is fleeting the more you play. I expected a bit more platforming challenge but the optional side challenges will fit that bit with exploration. Like a fine dessert in a restaurant, it is presented beautifully, is sweet going down, and but makes you wish you had something meatier as an earlier course. It's still dessert though.

Thanks for the opinion. I've been really on the fence with this one but I cannot justify buying it full price if there's not much gameplay in it. I can wait for a sale.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Finished this last night. I'll probably have more to say when I register my GOTY ballot, but my main takeaway is that this is quite possibly the most aesthetically striking game ever made.

The puzzles do a great job of varying the pace without grinding progress to a halt. The emotional arc of the story didn't do anything for me, though, and I'm a real sucker for that kind of thing.