• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Revelead in a new job listing. The game released in February 2016 on PC.

"We're looking for a self-motivated senior or lead engineer to help bring our next games to life. Crate is a independent studio best known for the ARPG "Grim Dawn," which has sold over 2.5m copies on PC, over 5m including DLC."
jobs.gamasutra.com

Jobs | Game Developer Jobs

9 jobs available on Game Developer Jobs. Apply or sign up for job alerts to get new jobs by email.

Past milestones:

1m copies; 200.000 DLC in May 2017
3m copies + DLC in in July 2018

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I think I'm gonna go back to it - any point of buying expansions if I haven't beaten the main campaing yet? Do they add something to the whole game gameplay-wise?

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I love the smoothness of the gameplay, the loot and the build possibilities... but I just couldn't enjoy the atmosphere and the art design. Guess I miss the striking, crisp visuals of Tital Quest (made with the same engine.)

If you like the grimy Cthuhloid apocalypse feel, it's absolutely worth checking out.

ExInferus

Nov 14, 2017
so they chose unreal engine if I read this right? GD2 in UE4 would be amazing.

Wondering what engine they are using for the city building game

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing, it's a great game. When I need a break from PoE I usually play this one.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Where is my xbox port!!! lol, jk. I'm pretty sure they have a small team and only one person is really working on it. Looking forward to when it releases.

I'm sure Girm Dawn 2 will be a banger when that comes out or whatever their next product is.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
I think I'm gonna go back to it - any point of buying expansions if I haven't beaten the main campaing yet? Do they add something to the whole game gameplay-wise?

New class masteries and Constellations, check out if there's any you'd like to make your build with. Also more "minor" stuff like more stash space and optional Monster Totem challenges across the world for extra challenges.

MotherFan

Oct 27, 2017
Grim dawn is alot of fun. Good build diversity, fun loot and the world is quite interesting. The main story left something to be desired, but the world building through the notes was well done imo.

Captain America build is fun :)

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Same here, lol.

I think they said on their official forums "It's coming" or something like that years ago and every year since then I'd predict we'd see it on Xbox's E3 stage (when there was an E3, lol).

I wonder what happened with that.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I'm aware of the greatness of PoE, I'll never consider it as a true Diablo-like due to the F2P Online nature of it.
It always felt like the Diablo 3 we never got to me with some liberties in Skill- and Loot-design. I mean Diablo 4 will probably draw a lot from Path of Exile with it's shared world.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This is the game I play whenever the Path of Exile league sucks. Deserved success, highly recommended to people who want a diablo-like

MegaApple

Jun 20, 2020
India
Great to hear; they have rightly earned their goodwill to by listening to community.

ARPGs are absolutely not my genre but I quite liked it during a Free Weekend and bought it.

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018
That's really disappointing. Was expecting their next game to be in the same genre.
I'm looking forward to seeing what they do by expanding to another genre. Grim Dawn is like Diablo 2 in that it has so much replayability that it doesn't need to be replaced just yet. If they show the same care for this as they did Grim Dawn, it should be a great one.

Ovaltine

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've read about Grim Dawn is that it will scratch that D2 itch after D3 was a departure for the series (more meaningful skill trees, loot that matters, etc.) - can anyone confirm this?

I want an ARPG that has a good ramp up and D2 is feeling old to me right now.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
From what I've read about Grim Dawn is that it will scratch that D2 itch after D3 was a departure for the series (more meaningful skill trees, loot that matters, etc.) - can anyone confirm this?

That is still path of exile

Grim dawn is a fun evolution over titan quest instead

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017

It's great. You cross-class to create new class, so you can pick like Inquisitor (traps and guns) and Soldier (shields and defense) to be like a tanky trap master. You don't even have to cross-class, you can just choose Shaman (2handers and lightning) and just focus on one class. It's a great system, carried over from their game Titan Quest.

Loot is good too, builds are fun. The DLC adds a shield class that has a ricochet throw, so you can Captain America your way through everything.

Also try Chronicon, it's a single dev game that is real ambitious and has smartly designed systems, although it's not the prettiest game (it's made in Game Maker Studio). It's a real passion project by the dev

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Grim Dawn is like Diablo 2 in that it has so much replayability that it doesn't need to be replaced just yet.

I feel like Path of Exile is already better than Grim Dawn. However, Grim Dawn does a few things better so I was really hoping they'd do an improved follow-up or sequel that would be better than both.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Still waiting for the grim dawn console ports btw what happened with those? They were announced eons ago. Game already work like a charm with a controller on pc too

Zom

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't play it for that long but is was really good, I'm happy for them ✨

Ovaltine

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like I need to give POE a try - skeptical that a F2P game can scratch the D2 itch (hovering around Torchlight 2 and Grim Dawn atm) but I'll give it a shot!

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is this game impossible for a casual to get into like poe?

No, it's pretty straightforward for the genre. You pick 1 or 2 classes and every LV-Up, you get 3 points that you can use to invest in skills or invest in the class itself (which gives increased stats & unlocks more skills). There's also a secondary leveling system that you get points for by finding shrines around the world.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Is this game impossible for a casual to get into like poe?
Ignoring that poe isn't impossible to a casual to get, yes grim dawn is far faster and simpler. most of the complexity start with dual class synergies and the constellation system, but by that point you will have a good grasp on the basics

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
You heard exaggerations of people that think that only minmaxing with a premade build to get to top tier maps counts as playing

It's a more complex and slower burn than Grim Dawn though

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
Eagerly awaiting the Xbox port. From what they've shared, Microsoft is not making the certification process an easy one for them. Fingers crossed they can get it over the finish line, I'd purchase it instantly.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
I want to like the game, but it is just too easy. I don't see the appeal of sleepwalking through levels.