• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How do you make your grilled cheese?

• Butter that bread!

Votes: 349 63.2%
  • Butter that pan!

Votes: 109 19.7%
  • WILDCARD - If I may, mayo yo!

Votes: 94 17.0%

• Total voters

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
On the bread. I tried Kewpie recently instead of my usual butter and while it wasn't bad, I wouldn't consider it superior to butter. Tasted and smelled a lot like shrimp chips.

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
Butter is usually cold. Even if it weren't, I'd butter the pan, get the top buttery, put it aside, put in more butter, and put in the bottom. Build the sandwich, put on a lid, and cook on a relatively low temp. Else the meat stays cold and the cheese won't melt adequately before the bread is toasty.

I tried the mayo once, and while it was sufficiently crispy, what I learned most is that I eat grilled sandwiches instead of regular sandwiches because I like butter.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
The bread. But mayo works way better.

Higher fat content so it burns better, and since it's easier to spread evenly also - just all around comes out better.

Places that do deluxe/fancy grilled cheese use Mayo all the time. That's why their stuff looks/tastes better than what you make at home.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the bread and the butter.

If I've got rock-hard butter from the fridge it's going in the pan.

If I've got fluffy, absorbent bread then I'll try to spread butter on it directly because shifting it around in the pan usually leaves the center dry.

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
In the pan, though on the bread is okay if you have soft butter. I find it easy to end up with soggy bread that way though.
I don't like mayo at all but I'm kind of intrigued now. Might try it next time I make a grilled cheese.

Argos7

Nov 20, 2020
I just turn on the toaster.

large_333b053a-19b5-4137-9ba6-feffe453aeb2.png

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
People saying Mayo are fucking disgusting. I'm about to start reporting folks no 🧢
If you haven't tried it you can't knock it. It doesn't really taste like Mayo after you've grilled it. Honestly can't say whether I prefer butter or Mayo. It's pretty dang close to the same result.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I used to butter the pan because I was refrigerating the butter. I don't think I've made one since I've learned to keep half a stick in the pantry. I've since moved to the earth balance vegan butter which I keep refrigerated. So if I were to make a grilled cheese now it would go in the pan first to melt then the bread to absorb.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
If you put it in the pan, you don't need to butter the bread and you can tell how hot the pan is based on how the butter behaves. You also get the benefit of being able to get some hot butter on the edges.

Buttering the bread is just an extra piece of unnecessary labor--especially if you keep your butter in the fridge.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Your self awareness is disarming. Live your best mayo-free life, my man. May it never accidentally bless your sandwiches.
🙏

to be honest, I don't hate Mayo in all cases. I like a slight dab of it on a burger bun on my burger or chicken sandwich. Any more than a teaspoon of it and I'll throw the entire sandwich out.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1.) Butter in the pan
2.) Toast one side of each slice, remove from pan
3.) Cheese on toasted side, form cheese sammy
4.) More butter in pan
5.) Toast other side

That way, the cheese has already begun melting as the other side is toasting. Crunchy, melty and completely worth the extra effort.