• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone quickly explain this game? Is this a remaster? A remake? A re-imagine? Looking at some screenshots and videos it appears to be same GRID that I remember from 2008 but with improved visuals?

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone quickly explain this game? Is this a remaster? A remake? A re-imagine? Looking at some screenshots and videos it appears to be same GRID that I remember from 2008 but with improved visuals?
It's a new entry in the GRID series, so not any of those. I guess "re-imagining" would be closest, but it's a totally new game that includes some of the old tracks.

TheAdmiester

Mar 1, 2018
An entirely new game, with quite a few more cars than the original, most of the tracks from the original, and a completely new career structure.

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
Interested to hear impressions. Will likely get it eventually as it has Sydney Motorsport Park so I can practice in the sim before driving for real.

TheAdmiester

Mar 1, 2018
Interested to hear impressions. Will likely get it eventually as it has Sydney Motorsport Park so I can practice in the sim before driving for real.
Just bear in mind, I wouldn't call it a sim, more simcade but more on the arcade side of things. It's a great game, I just don't want someone expecting a proper sim and being disappointed :P

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
how does this compare to Autosport that I just got on Switch?
What is career mode like?
Do you buy cars in this version?
That sort of thing...

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Disappointed with the career structure. Codemasters makes the best career modes in racing; last few F1 games have been phenomenal in this regard. Grid 1 also had a fantastic career with the team building and managing. And let's not forget Dirt 2. But going back further, Toca Race Drivers also had very cool career modes that weren't just dry menus and races one after the other with no context.

Grid 2019's career mode is basically the same as Autosport's, just an event list. Whatever.

Also on PC, I'm having some strange stuttering every now and then despite the high framerates, which is annoying. Visuals are okay. I think Dirt 4 and Rally 2.0 looks considerably better, but it's not an ugly game by any stretch. It's just.... average.

The game itself plays well. The driving model also feels very close to Autosport's. Which means it's more sim than Grid 1 & 2 but overall still more arcadey than something like Forza Motorsport or Gran Turismo.

Addition of weather is VERY welcome and I'm glad that we have properly detailed dash cam again. Also, you can adjust the FoV of it, which is good. I hope they add some adjustment options for the chase cams too because they feel a little too low down.

Overall, bit more mixed first impression than I thought but still, I'm enjoying it. I do have a lingering feel that codemasters may not have the budget that they used to have anymore. Which would make sense given that racing games just don't really sell as well as they used to. Which is sad. Hopefully Grid 2019 will be a success story but given how little marketing I've seen for it, I'm really worried..

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Does it still do that thing where you put in your name and your name is spoken in-game?

Micknick

Nov 1, 2017
So having just played a little over an hour I feel like they've really got the difficulties wrong. Not sure why they can't implement a difficulty slider like in the F1 games, but on Hard (the second hardest difficulty) I can qualify P1 by a good 3 or 4 seconds on a 50 second lap but on Very Hard (the hardest) I end up last place a good 2 seconds or so from the front. I'd rather not have to play on Hard and skip qualifying just to get a decent challenge but similarly the gap between Hard and Very Hard just seems too big.
I also echo other comments that the career structure does seem a bit disappointing. I don't know why they couldn't just copy the first game's idea of you having your own team, I think it would work better, especially as it seems like when you level up you unlock new teammates? Although if that is what it is I have no idea how to change them

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks about the career mode being just an event list. Career mode across all racing games are lackluster now a days.

I just want to emulate Lewis Hamilton's life, from go karting as a kid to formula 1. Is that so hard?

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine this thread will get busier once the standard edition comes out in another 3 days. This already will be a relatively niche title, and the people getting the Ultimate Edition will be an even tinier minority.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
So far so good on One X.

Definitely feels like a cross between Autosport and GRID 1 and feels nice to play with a Gamepad.

The Mustang was an oversteer laden beast and Touring Cars feel just about ok on the understeer side but not quite the level of Project Cars in terms of feel there.

Definitely a solid racer for sure and looks decent enough on One X.

Is HDR supported on X?

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is very very very very much arcade :) Not sim. Just a word of warning.
So having just played a little over an hour I feel like they've really got the difficulties wrong. Not sure why they can't implement a difficulty slider like in the F1 games, but on Hard (the second hardest difficulty) I can qualify P1 by a good 3 or 4 seconds on a 50 second lap but on Very Hard (the hardest) I end up last place a good 2 seconds or so from the front. I'd rather not have to play on Hard and skip qualifying just to get a decent challenge but similarly the gap between Hard and Very Hard just seems too big.
I also echo other comments that the career structure does seem a bit disappointing. I don't know why they couldn't just copy the first game's idea of you having your own team, I think it would work better, especially as it seems like when you level up you unlock new teammates? Although if that is what it is I have no idea how to change them
Ya the lack of any real career especially with the nemesis stuff, or at least their attempt, is a buzzkill.

Apr 11, 2018
Australia
It is very very very very much arcade :) Not sim. Just a word of warning.

Sim or not I've never found any racing game familiar to driving a real car no matter how good they get the physics or the wheel feel when using a steering wheel so they're all arcade to me. There's just something about the feel of the weight of a car that games can't replicate (or at least haven't yet).

That doesn't mean that playing driving games can't help real-life driving. Most especially learning a track, the layout and corners especially are helpful in games. Knowing a track off by heart can make a huge difference in the real world.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sim or not I've never found any racing game familiar to driving a real car no matter how good they get the physics or the wheel feel when using a steering wheel so they're all arcade to me. There's just something about the feel of the weight of a car that games can't replicate (or at least haven't yet).

That doesn't mean that playing driving games can't help real-life driving. Most especially learning a track, the layout and corners especially are helpful in games. Knowing a track off by heart can make a huge difference in the real world.
I get to race locally and I feel like many are actually very close. If you take into account physical effects not being possible unless someone throws a bucket of water at your face and your pissing into a diaper.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe

Whether a game is a sim or not is usually just sad dick waving. There's a whole spectrum of simulation, but online it's a binary argument that's no more nuanced than I prefer this game over the one the other guy likes.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
The first game was one of my favourite racing games ever...

I'm pretty sure the answer is no but does this game have anything in its multiplayer to meaningfully encourage good behaviour/discourage smashing into eachother?

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most reviews are saying the core is good, very good, but it's let down by a low track roster, and a poor career mode.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
The urban circuits seem to have a Project Gotham Racing kinda feeling. Generally enjoy urban racing, but see quite a lot of "regular" circuits, so still a bit on the fence.

CaVaYeRo

Oct 31, 2017
Hearing handling and physics are really not there :/ Looking forward to trying it out myself with a racing wheel on PC.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
This is easily the worst career mode in a codemasters game since forever. It's so damn sterile.

Ironic how the game's tagline is "like no other" given that the one thing that truly sets apart codies racing games for me from the rest is the immersive and diverse career mode.

Grid 1's team building, managing, seeing your car in the menus, music changing depending on the career progression. The incredible le mans races at the end of each season. Dirt 2 having a fully animated menu, with dozens of upbeat songs. Grid 2 having a proper narrative with small cutscenes and doing an excellent job at portraying zero to hero by acquiring bigger crowds, more sponsors as you go.

And that's not even mentioning older games like Toca Race Drivers or the current F1 games which have IMO the best career mode of any racing game.

In Grid 2019, they even got rid of the announcer speaking your name! There's basically one single song that plays every time you finish the race. The event variety is much weaker, there isn't even drifting in the game. I mean come on, drift events were absolute highlights of the previous games - drift arenas and mountain road drifting alike.

Purists will probably go "so what?" - and I get that, it's all just fluff in the end. But I like that fluff. And it really added to the immersion of the game.

The core gameplay, the racing and driving is very good, so I'm sitll having fun playing the game. But I am definitely a little disappointed.

Apr 11, 2018
Australia
This is easily the worst career mode in a codemasters game since forever. It's so damn sterile.

Ironic how the game's tagline is "like no other" given that the one thing that truly sets apart codies racing games for me from the rest is the immersive and diverse career mode.

Grid 1's team building, managing, seeing your car in the menus, music changing depending on the career progression. The incredible le mans races at the end of each season. Dirt 2 having a fully animated menu, with dozens of upbeat songs. Grid 2 having a proper narrative with small cutscenes and doing an excellent job at portraying zero to hero by acquiring bigger crowds, more sponsors as you go.

And that's not even mentioning older games like Toca Race Drivers or the current F1 games which have IMO the best career mode of any racing game.

In Grid 2019, they even got rid of the announcer speaking your name! There's basically one single song that plays every time you finish the race. The event variety is much weaker, there isn't even drifting in the game. I mean come on, drift events were absolute highlights of the previous games - drift arenas and mountain road drifting alike.

Purists will probably go "so what?" - and I get that, it's all just fluff in the end. But I like that fluff. And it really added to the immersion of the game.

The core gameplay, the racing and driving is very good, so I'm sitll having fun playing the game. But I am definitely a little disappointed.

no drifting.... omg heartbroken the drift mechanics in the first game were the best of any game at least from what I've experienced. Without that I'm pretty much certain I won't be buying. Do sad.

is there any game that is like MSR for PS4 or will I need to buy an Xbox and for to find that these days?

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017

Drift events can die In a fire for all I care, but for those awful people who like doing such things I can see why the omission would hurt.

And yes, it's all fluff but if done well like the original GRID is good fluff. Still, the racing is king and it works well. Toca Race Driver 2 and 3 especially had great career modes too.

Is there any way to check if the VIP/Ultimate content is actually active, as I haven't noticed in game as yet!

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Had a couple of quick races last night, the on track action feels pretty good, the handling is very much on the arcade side of things but with assists off you can still spin easily enough, sounds are good and it runs well.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
Read quite a few reviews: Thing that I see coming back.

1. Very lacking careermode.
2. Low car count
3. low track count, but great tracks that are available.
4. Handling is praised.
5. 30 FPS on base consoles
6. 60 FPS on PS4 pro. (Framedrops are mentioned) https://www.gamereactor.eu/grid-review/
7. 60 FPS on Xbox one X, no performance impressions yet. One person names it silky smooth but if PS4 pro has framedrops I assume XBOX will have them 2.
8. Limited MP options. Private race and quickrace.
9. The racing is Fun
10. Nemesis feature is only during the race so has no real meaning during the rest of the career.
11. Visually a mixed bag, some tracks look great, some more like PS3 Era.

Last edited:

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Read quite a few reviews: Thing that I see coming back.

1. Very lacking careermode.
2. Low car count
3. low track count, but great tracks that are available.
4. Handling is praised.
5. 30 FPS on base consoles
6. 60 FPS on PS4 pro. (Framedrops are mentioned)
7. 60 FPS on Xbox one X, no performance impressions yet. One person names it silky smooth but if PS4 pro has framedrops I assume XBOX will have them 2.
8. Limited MP options. Private race and quickrace.
9. The racing is Fun
10. Nemesis feature is only during the race so has no real meaning during the rest of the career.
11. Visually a mixed bag, some tracks look great, some more like PS3 Era.
Low car count? Aren't there like 70? That sounds like plenty for a game like this. It's not trying to be a Forza or Gran Turismo.

The frame drops on PS4 Pro are a bit odd considering Digital Foundry already looked at the game and only highlighted a single instance of the frame rate momentarily dropping.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Look man, I don't know if you're ever coming back to this thread, but let me tell you one thing - that Twitter account is absolutely trolling or they're blind. I kid you not, GRID is actually one of the most beautiful racers I've ever played, and I've played a lot of them, from GT Sport, to Horizon 4, to you name it. Yes, there are a few issues with shadows draw distance and perhaps the SSR issue is indeed true, but none of it matters. The overall presentation is absolutely spectacular and it runs absurdly well. Here's some 21:9 screenshots at max settings on PC - hopefully they'll make you reconsider your opinion:

grid_2019_10_08_19_20abjyc.png

grid_2019_10_08_19_2702kc6.png

grid_2019_10_08_19_28upkjo.png

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
The frame drops on PS4 Pro are a bit odd considering Digital Foundry already looked at the game and only highlighted a single instance of the frame rate momentarily dropping.
I only mention what I have read. DF also tested a previewversion with not all the tracks.

I can imagine that a few scenario's may be more taxing on the hardware of course. Things like more cars on screen and rain etc.

source:

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I only mention what I have read. DF also tested a previewversion with not all the tracks.

I can imagine that a few scenario's may be more taxing on the hardware of course. Things like more cars on screen and rain etc.
The preview version they played seemed to have a lot of tracks, but I don't think they showed any rain, so that's a good point.

Can you point me towards a review that mentiims the frame rate?

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Played some more this morning, in PC version in 4K HDR on my TV. Looks really nice. Not modern. But still looks nice.

It's a good fun game. And the AI makes for some great racing.

But the low track count really hurts it.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
Look man, I don't know if you're ever coming back to this thread, but let me tell you one thing - that Twitter account is absolutely trolling or they're blind. I kid you not, GRID is actually one of the most beautiful racers I've ever played, and I've played a lot of them, from GT Sport, to Horizon 4, to you name it. Yes, there are a few issues with shadows draw distance and perhaps the SSR issue is indeed true, but none of it matters. The overall presentation is absolutely spectacular and it runs absurdly well. Here's some 21:9 screenshots at max settings on PC - hopefully they'll make you reconsider your opinion:

grid_2019_10_08_19_20abjyc.png

grid_2019_10_08_19_2702kc6.png

grid_2019_10_08_19_28upkjo.png

What's your AA or sharpening solution if there is any? I maxed out the settings at 1440p but the game looks blurry.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why gamereactor has these as negatives:

"Not a sim racer by any means, Driving physics don't relate to reality"

Only simulators allowed?