• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
MAG on PS3 hat 256 players at the same time. Cell was a beast!

If Stadia can prop up those sorts of experiences, I think they can grab a niche of social players from the broader market, and pull in some fresh faces too.

As someone who played MAG, there were clearly smaller sub-groups of players in more narrow "zones," but they tried some neat stuff while the game was still up. The 256 number was being "cute" about counting how many players could actually interact with each other, though. What they managed was more about servers than anything in the local hardware, hence why it was shut down so (relatively) quickly.

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
It's always been possible. Especially with PC. The bigger issue is this isn't real life, with professional drivers. Devs never dedicated resources to a mode like this because it would be a gimmick nobody played. 40 human racers in an online game? It's going to be one big destruction derby with toxic raging about what an asshole everyone else is for ramming their front end in.

Perhaps this example is just a gimmick but I'm still hoping that clever game designers come up with unique ways of making use of cloud computing.

OP
OP
Kleegamefan

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
My interpretation of what the developer is saying is they cannot do a 40 player race of GRID specifically on other platforms.

Not that 40 player racing games don't exist.

I believe he is saying the platform affords them enough headroom to do up to a 40 player mode and they cannot do that mode on other versions of GRID.

Seems pretty straightforward.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Grid 2019 cannot have 40 drivers on the current platforms because there aren't 40 people online.
giphy.gif

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Is that a realistic racing game at that point?

Didn't Trackmania used to get that high in the past? But that's kind of the point. Trackmania also made everyone transparent. Which is kind of the only way a public racing game can be functional with a high player count. There was something kind of thrilling about finishing in the top 3 when there were a zillion people competing.

Jsee80

Nov 18, 2017
I remember playing a Trackmania game along time ago that had tons of people racing at once.

Saw this post from a quick google search:
"After TMF first came out there where some huge servers. I have played in one that had 243 players at once. I am fairly sure the player limit in the dedicated is 250 players, but it would be pointless to run one that large now since only the top 32 or so players can earn points. "

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
My interpretation of what the developer is saying is they cannot do a 40 player race of GRID specifically on other platforms.

I believe he is saying the platform affords them enough headroom to do up to a 40 player mode and they cannot do that mode on other versions of GRID.

The "why" behind it is what would be interesting to note.

I want details, because this is the stuff that interests me.

I'm not going to call this stuff bullshit, but w/o details I will at least be skeptical of the "not possible" claim.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
This has something to do with online play not the specs of a hardware
Hardware drives the calculations, the hardware is spec. It does not depend on the streaming, as that handles the prediction and transmission of controls and other data. This is completely hardware driven.

That said, I'd be more inclined to below that this is only capable on Stadia, IF Google was forthcoming with any info on the service. However, they haven't been transparent regarding Stadia at all. All we've seen is controlled environment demos and nothing more. We nothing on the servers that handle the heavy lifting, nothing regarding the datacenters and geo-location/load balancing, not a damned thing.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The "why" behind it is what would be interesting to note.

I want details, because this is the stuff that interests me.

I'm not going to call this stuff bullshit, but w/o details I will at least be skeptical of the "not possible" claim.
If a 40 car mode worked on other platforms then they would do it no reason not to

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Why do people come out with such transparent bullshit?

Tell me you can't sync up 500 clients without the awesome power of the cloud and I'll probably believe you. Tell me 100 and I'll give you some side-eye, because there are a few very, very popular games out right now that happen to have a 100 player limit.

But 40? There are hundreds, if not thousands, of multiplayer games more than capable of handling that many clients, already out there, already playable. Acting like this is only possible thanks to Stadia magic and wouldn't be possible otherwise is just obviously false.

It comes down to how efficient you code your game and how much additional AI or other coding checks (like pathfinding or damage done) you put into your game.
I don't know much about GRID, but more AI checks in Crusader Kings 2, Rimworld, Dwarf Fortress, X3/4, Aurora4X (where disabling the pathing of the asteroids significantly speeds up your game), etc. could be great showcases on making a smoother gaming experience and have better AI's.

But no, they won't showcase something like that, because promising is easier than delivering. And this only works multiplatform if only the turn-times are faster/smoother, anything else (like better AI handling or more stuff on-screen) and you would have to either develop 2 different SKU'S or you would make the game Stadia exclusive.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I remember playing a Trackmania game along time ago that had tons of people racing at once.

Saw this post from a quick google search:
"After TMF first came out there where some huge servers. I have played in one that had 243 players at once. I am fairly sure the player limit in the dedicated is 250 players, but it would be pointless to run one that large now since only the top 32 or so players can earn points. "
Eh, Trackmania is a little different considering there's no contact between cars.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hardware drives the calculations, the hardware is spec. It does not depend on the streaming, as that handles the prediction and transmission of controls and other data. This is completely hardware driven.

That said, I'd be more inclined to below that this is only capable on Stadia, IF Google was forthcoming with any info on the service. However, they haven't been transparent regarding Stadia at all. All we've seen is controlled environment demos and nothing more. We nothing on the servers that handle the heavy lifting, nothing regarding the datacenters and geo-location/load balancing, not a damned thing.
The only reason we have seen controlled environment demos is because it's not out yet lol, just wait 1 more week

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Well no shit, 2013 consoles can't do things a 10TF system can.
2013 consoles can already do 64 players in a very busy and big maps while targeting 60fps, even locked on 4TF 2016 console with a jaguar CPU. As usual it's up to the developers. This 40 players on a linear driver like GRID is just marketing talk.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
The only reason we have seen controlled environment demos is because it's not out yet lol, just wait 1 more week
You know how silly that sounds? When games are released ahead of schedule, we get reviews on it? Hardware is also released weeks, if not months ahead of time to review/test. As are services. We have a damned Project xCloud public trial right now and there are tons of impressions.

We have nothing on Stadia. And don't you dare say Project Stream, Stadia evolved from it and has changed considerably.

You mean to say that no one has access to this? That no one has been able to test this in a real-world setting? Tell me that doesn't sound worrisome to you? That they can say it works, with no issues. But hasn't been tested as such?

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Good luck filling a race of 40 players on Stadia's version of GRID in the first place. This feature will likely be wasted.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
If a 40 car mode worked on other platforms then they would do it no reason not to
That's not true at all; it could be something that would work if Codemasters were willing to host the servers for it, or something that could work on Xbox if MS let them offload cloud compute to Azure, etc.

Hell it might not even be anything really that special; it could just be that Stadia instances are powerful enough to do it and this gen consoles aren't.

And the reason not to put it on other platforms? Because Google is likely asking devs to enhance their games for Stadia and might be providing resources to do so (money, developers, promise of free marketing if they enhance their games, etc.)

OR.. it's something that requires extra cloud compute residing in the same datacenter to work effectively.. that's really the only thing that Stadia brings that is impossible on no streaming platforms.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You know how silly that sounds? When games are released ahead of schedule, we get reviews on it? Hardware is also released weeks, if not months ahead of time to review/test. As are services. We have a damned Project xCloud public trial right now and there are tons of impressions.

We have nothing on Stadia. And don't you dare say Project Stream, Stadia evolved from it and has changed considerably.
They did project stream last year, that was their xcloud preview equivalent

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Note that Grid 2 only allowed 12 players online. So I would guess that they are talking about in their specific game, 40 players just wasn't doable without some aspect of Stadia. Maybe it's syncing up vehicle damage for those online players that's too intensive, maybe it's something to do with their vehicle physics, could be a few things limiting it.

Sure, overall other games have done more - Assetto Corsa for one limited the online player count to 32, but through mods people have played 50 player online games. But we don't know the reasons for Grid's limitations.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's not true at all; it could be something that would work if Codemasters were willing to host the servers for it, or something that could work on Xbox if MS let them offload cloud compute to Azure, etc.

Hell it might not even be anything really that special; it could just be that Stadia instances are powerful enough to do it and this gen consoles aren't.

And the reason not to put it on other platforms? Because Google is likely asking devs to enhance their games for Stadia and might be providing resources to do so (money, developers, promise of free marketing if they enhance their games, etc.)

OR.. it's something that requires extra cloud compute residing in the same datacenter to work effectively.. that's really the only thing that Stadia brings that is impossible on no streaming platforms.
Guess you will never know unless you go to the developers office and see for yourself then

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Guess you will never know unless you go to the developers office and see for yourself then
Or they'll tell us at some point.

Google wants to highlight these advanced features and are (clearly) going to be met with skepticism; so it's in their best interest to explain them. It's also just what Google does, Stadia is run by engineers... they want to tell people about the cool shit they've accomplished.

Supposedly Football Manager is enhanced for Stadia, and now Grid.. possibly Gylt.. I'm expecting at some point for Google to detail all of these things, it would be great marketing.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Sony and MS can make a game exclusive or has exclusive features on PSNOW and Xcloud right? Exclusive cloud based game.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Sony and MS can make a game exclusive or has exclusive features on PSNOW and Xcloud right? Exclusive cloud based game.
They can theoretically enhance games that are running on your console with cloud compute as well.

See: Crackdown 3

However everything being in the same datacenter has some advantages; it's why I want to see details of these techs.. is this something that could only be pulled off with client/servers all in the same datacenter or not? In general that shouldn't be the case, because for multiplayer games w/ dedicated servers... the server + extra compute are in the same datacenter anyways. It's only the actual client that isn't.

That's the big cloud gaming sales pitch I think google needs.

OP
OP
Kleegamefan

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017

Not Microsoft. Until they change their policy, all their games are Xbox /Scarlett/PC/xCloud.

That's not to say Stadia games aren't also multiplatform (except for Gylt) but there is no policy to prevent a cloud exclusive first party game on Stadia.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
They can theoretically enhance games that are running on your console with cloud compute as well.

See: Crackdown 3

However everything being in the same datacenter has some advantages; it's why I want to see details of these techs.. is this something that could only be pulled off with client/servers all in the same datacenter or not?

That's the big cloud gaming sales pitch I think google needs.

MS has the same features in their data center if they wanted to make such a game right?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Not Microsoft. Until they change their policy, all their games are Xbox /Scarlett/PC/xCloud.
They can do whatever they want; there certainly would be nothing stopping them from having a cloud-only feature even with their current policy.

The real question is, why would they want to?

They want people buying Xbox's, xCloud is a way to enhance those purchases.. they aren't going after the same market as Google.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
" just not possible on other hardware"

"...because we didn't enable it on any other build .. so it's not a lie"

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
even on next gen systems?
They aren't out yet so I doubt the

Is this just console specific or are they saying PCs can't even do it?

Also, obviously they're talking about consoles that are on the market now. I doubt they're talking about next gen stuff?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They can do whatever they want; there certainly would be nothing stopping them from having a cloud-only feature even with their current policy.

The real question is, why would they want to?

They want people buying Xbox's, xCloud is a way to enhance those purchases.. they aren't going after the same market as Google.
Microsoft won't do that because that would make the game streaming only, and that's not their focus like google is