• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017

Development on any new hardware is always equal parts exciting and interesting. Perhaps the area with the biggest difference was the streaming, but also the ability of Stadia to talk to other Stadia so quickly transforms some ideas around multiplayer – for example developing a whole new mode for GRID Stadia which has 40 cars on track at the same time, something that just isn't possible with other hardware.

Last edited:

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
Daytona USA and Daytona USA CE had 40 cars on the Saturn. Nice to see the latest tech at last catch up with the incredible SEGA Saturn.

Peckmore

Oct 31, 2017
Sounds like Codemasters might be using more than one Stadia instance for GRID
Reading it I got the impression it meant more that they could have higher player counts in multiplayer because the latency between Stadia instances (for each player) was lower/guaranteed to be low, rather than using multiple Stadia instances for a single player?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
See, this is the kind of stuff they should market Stadia with. This is cool.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, that's neat...

I'd like to see it first, when it's ready. In mid 2020 rather than next week...

OP
OP
Kleegamefan

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Reading it I got the impression it meant more that they could have higher player counts in multiplayer because the latency between Stadia instances (for each player) was lower/guaranteed to be low, rather than using multiple Stadia instances for a single player?

Yeah you are probably right

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
If they make a 1000 player battle royal game, I won't sub but I'll try a month just to see how it is.

They can make great things with this, It's ashame It's Google who're holding the reins and not Sony/Microsoft.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Daytona USA and Daytona USA CE had 40 cars on the Saturn. Nice to see the latest tech at last catch up with the incredible SEGA Saturn.
Okay come on those are wildly different examples, and also would require a lot less processing power as there's not nearly as much graphics, physics to calculate on those games.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
So if it only works on one platform is the game really going to be designed for that? Is a 40 car race on a track meant for 12 going to be fun? It's neat tech I guess.... but this specific instance does not have me excited for stadia or grid

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
40 cars on the track has been done before. It's absolutely possible on other platforms.

But, maybe the extra time they spent working on this feature is why Stadia isn't launching with GRID.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
Okay come on those are wildly different examples, and also would require a lot less processing power as there's not nearly as much graphics, physics to calculate on those games.

I WAS being Sarcastic... Mind you it was impressive to see 40 cars on track with Daytona CE on the Saturn

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I call bullshit to the maximum. You mean to tell me that even the most beast of PCs can't do this? That we'll have 40 cars, streaming the game, online? I'll believe when I see it.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
As someone who has put a dozen hours into the new GRID I can confidently say there are times where I find myself annoyed there are 20 cars on the track at the same time. Most of the tracks feel too congested with that many cars on them.

40 sounds like a mess that no one would ever ask for, but cool sales pitch I guess.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Given the numbers in games like Battlefield, is 40 cars really impossible on consoles? Am I missing something?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
40 cars on the track has been done before. It's absolutely possible on other platforms.

But, maybe the extra time they spent working on this feature is why Stadia isn't launching with GRID.

It's coming within a month of launch. There's a bunch of other games coming before 2020.

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
I really hope we start seeing games / experiences that literally aren't possible with just local hardware. If not, just to show what's possible with new approaches that not necessarily need to replace all existing solutions, but to complement.

OP
OP
Kleegamefan

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
They can make great things with this, It's ashame It's Google who're holding the reins and not Sony/Microsoft.

Sony and Microsoft make games that also have to run on legacy hardware(which is why I doubt xCloud will be able to do everything Stadia can) Or at least that's their current policy is.

Google is exclusively cloud based hardware so they won't have that policy, for better or worse.

I dunno, maybe Amazon could do something similar, but I don't think they have the investment in video codecs (VPx)like Google has either...

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
If this kind of thing manifests more broadly, I think this can be a cool benefit of Stadia versions, re: providing scale experiences that other platforms can't offer as easily. The specific 40 number doesn't sound particularly impressive, but that idea is worth pushing.

I have my doubts about this being "real" in its current state. In the sense of the game engine needs to plow through all the data if they're truly expanding the scope, and a lot of racing titles out there are already a stone's throw from this on previous-gen, local-only hardware. For just plain engineering/feasibility, racing titles simplify the simulation outside of the player's immediate vehicle and surroundings, so it's easy to imagine this being a more superficial gimmick. But it's still neat, and one of the more feasible/fascinating pitches I've seen for Stadia as a platform.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has put a dozen hours into the new GRID I can confidently say there are times where I find myself annoyed there are 20 cars on the track at the same time. Most of the tracks feel too congested with that many cars on them.

40 sounds like a mess that no one would ever ask for, but cool sales pitch I guess.
There will never be 40 people in the same race in Stadia Grid online on any case.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
I think starwars Battlefront was a 40 players mode.
Battleroyal games start with 100 players..

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't sound that impressive tbh. I can't imagine a racing game being more demanding than something like Battlefield that has 64 players and a metric shit ton of variables and destructability.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Low latency between players = more players in MP.

Finally, I have heard an actual, legitimate USP for Stadia.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
That doesn't sound that impressive tbh. I can't imagine a racing game being more demanding than something like Battlefield that has 64 players and a metric shit ton of variables and destructability.
Yeah, Gran Turismo Sport has 20 players and it's running at twice the framerate with better graphics.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Why do people come out with such transparent bullshit?

Tell me you can't sync up 500 clients without the awesome power of the cloud and I'll probably believe you. Tell me 100 and I'll give you some side-eye, because there are a few very, very popular games out right now that happen to have a 100 player limit.

But 40? There are hundreds, if not thousands, of multiplayer games more than capable of handling that many clients, already out there, already playable. Acting like this is only possible thanks to Stadia magic and wouldn't be possible otherwise is just obviously false.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope we start seeing games / experiences that literally aren't possible with just local hardware. If not, just to show what's possible with new approaches that not necessarily need to replace all existing solutions, but to complement.

It's always been possible. Especially with PC. The bigger issue is this isn't real life, with professional drivers. Devs never dedicated resources to a mode like this because it would be a gimmick nobody played. 40 human racers in an online game? It's going to be one big destruction derby with toxic raging about what an asshole everyone else is for ramming their front end in.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Sony and Microsoft make games that also have to run on legacy hardware(which is why I doubt xCloud will be able to do everything Stadia can) Or at least that's their current policy is.

Google is exclusively cloud based hardware so they won't have that policy, for better or worse.

I dunno, maybe Amazon could do something similar, but I don't think they have the investment in video codecs (VPx)like Google has either...
Microsoft offloaded compute to the cloud for Crackdown 3. *

Being in the same datacenter has advantages, but if everyone needs a fast low-latency connection anyways you could do traditional local rendering and still offload cloud compute fairly successfully.

* Obviously the games development / release had massive issues, but they did pull off cloud based destruction in that one multiplayer mode