• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
with Ever Oasis releasing earlier this year, I jsut cant see Grezzo releasing a new Zelda so soon afterwards. not unless Grezzo is much larger than I'm anticipating.

As of 2015 (which is the last time Grezzo updated their corporate page), the company had 57 employees. There's no indication of how many people they're looking to take on, though.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Eiji Aonuma (Producer) has stated he would like to create a multiplayer Zelda game using learnings from Breath of the Wild.

I will be surprised if BotW's follow-up doesn't have multiplayer elements. Much as I enjoy the Four Swords games, BotW strikes me as friendlier to co-op play than your average Zelda. Letting a second player control Link's wolf, companion, for example, would be a natural way to help friends play together without necessarily upending the basic game design. Or player 2 could be a second humanoid character and collect tools, cook food, and mark points of interest for player one.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As of 2015 (which is the last time Grezzo updated their corporate page), the company had 57 employees. There's no indication of how many people they're looking to take on, though.
With that kind of studio count, they're definitely assisting something then. Or their game is really small. Using tools like Unreal would mean that Grezzo or someone else is doing development. With that, I'll probably lower my expectations as to what it is

TZchassis

Oct 27, 2017
I would be very happy with either of these
- OOT & MM in HD.
- A remake of Zelda II
- A new multiplayer Zelda spin-off

We need more Zelda games more often.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
We've already had remakes of every 3D Zelda game... except Skyward Sword. It's time. Remove the stupid repeating text every time you got an item and make link move 20% faster and the game will already be hugely improved.

Mumford

Oct 25, 2017
We've already had remakes of every 3D Zelda game... except Skyward Sword. It's time. Remove the stupid repeating text every time you got an item and make link move 20% faster and the game will already be hugely improved.
Sorry but please no. They'd have to remove so much padding in my eyes for it to be worth it that it'd be honestly a completely different game, and at that point they could do something much more interesting. As others have pointed out, a Zelda 2 remake or OoT/MM HD double pack would be great too, or even something different from them could be potentially cool as well.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but please no. They'd have to remove so much padding in my eyes for it to be worth it that it'd be honestly a completely different game, and at that point they could do something much more interesting. As others have pointed out, a Zelda 2 remake or OoT/MM HD double pack would be great too, or even something different from them could be potentially cool as well.

We literally just had these games re-released. You consider that a better use of resources? And as much as I love Zelda 2, as long as Miyamoto is around I wouldn't hold my breath on a remake or sequel in it's likeness.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017

I'll take an optional quest or two to upgrade the stamina bar (in fact I'm surprised the original game never had one), but the only thing they need to change is the constant prompts and general loquaciousness of Fi. Otherwise, the game is fine as it is.

Switch's inability to accurately replicate the Wiimote Plus will be the biggest hurdle for the game, but I'd welcome workarounds.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, Since Ever Oasis literally just came out this year, I'm not expecting anything soon.

My Switch mind is focused on 2018 and slightly 2019 at the moment heh
Hope something cool comes though.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take an optional quest or two to upgrade the stamina bar (in fact I'm surprised the original game never had one), but the only thing they need to change is the constant prompts and general loquaciousness of Fi. Otherwise, the game is fine as it is.

Switch's inability to accurately replicate the Wiimote Plus will be the biggest hurdle for the game, but I'd welcome workarounds.
Was this ever confirmed? I imagine the gyros in the joycon are probably easily on par.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
This almost certainly isn't what this is, but I'd be so in for OoT and Majora's Mask on the switch.

Mumford

Oct 25, 2017
We literally just had these games re-released. You consider that a better use of resources? And as much as I love Zelda 2, as long as Miyamoto is around I wouldn't hold my breath on a remake or sequel in it's likeness.
Personally speaking, I'd rather finally have an HD version of both OoT and MM and having them both together in this format finally would be more valuable to me than an HD upres of Skyward Sword. Also, a Metro is 2 remake already has happened; I think anything is possible. I'm sure whatever they put out will be great, I'm excited for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Ever Oasis was such a fun game, look forward to whatever these guys do next. I'd be excited for a sequel or new IP, as I would be for them to work on one of Nintendo's properties again. Very cool team.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword remastered please. With optional motion controls, skippable dialogue and Fi toned down

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And Ever Oasis, don't forget that! My (unrealistic based on how Ever Oasis did) dream would be that they get to have another chance at another new IP on Switch in UE4. But it makes more sense from Nintendo's perspective to just have them do another Zelda remake :(
It seems moer like nintendo would give them another chance either at ever oasis or a new IP seeing as nintendo had to know that EO wasent gonna do well when the 3DS is on its way out.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That person is welcome to apply, but man, they have no idea regarding why art direction is important. Those UE4 demos are soulless.
Yeah, people to this day still don't understand the importance of art direction in comparison to technical prowess. Anything like that, lacking any cohesive and unique art style is getting old very quickly, while a game with a pretty art style is timeless despite its technical shortcomings. See Wind Waker, Okami, Jet Set Radio, even stuff like Metroud Prime holds up incredibly well.

I really hope they're reimagining Zelda II or are co-developing a new top-down Zelda.

Seiniyta

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's a HD version of the Metroid Prime games to UE4 for the switch since those games ran on a version on (I think) custom version of Unreal Engine.

Oct 28, 2017
Koichi Ishii has too much talent. I don't want to see all that wasted by having his team turned into Zelda code monkeys. Let them do a sequel to Ever Oasis, or a new IP.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I think it would be great if they were to make a OoT / MM style 3D Zelda for Switch. They have shown they can be trusted with Zelda.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
It's the sequel to StreetPass Garden/Flower Town that everyone wants.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
A post on the Grezzo development blog may give us some idea of what they're looking at Unity for.

Programmer Hiroki Sakurai (who is listed in the credits for both Majora's Mask 3D and Ever Oasis) wrote a blog post on September 8th, outlining the idea of using Unity 5 (along with C# script) as just a level editor without actually using Unity as the main development engine.

Given that Grezzo are looking for Unreal Engine experience—and how scaleable Unreal is—I'm not certain why they would require the use of Unity as a level editing tool in the future. Perhaps they've already used this technique for past projects in some capacity.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

LOL because it's a game that isn't remembered with favour by most (despite a slightly warmer recent reassessment by the otaku) and because what the hell would a 'remake' of Zelda 2 look like? Are we talking the same game but with HD three dimensional models instead of sprites? Does that sound like something Nintendo would do? Is that even something people want? Or are we talking a 'from the ground up' 'remimagining', which would essentially be brand new Zelda game - and you expect Grezzo to be doing this? It's not happening and I will eat a hat if this project is a Zelda 2 remake for Switch.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Unreal Engine 4 is a modern engine With fp16 support, so experience could probably be useful even if they are developing in an internal engine.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
LOL because it's a game that isn't remembered with favour by most (despite a slightly warmer recent reassessment by the otaku) and because what the hell would a 'remake' of Zelda 2 look like? Are we talking the same game but with HD three dimensional models instead of sprites? Does that sound like something Nintendo would do? Is that even something people want? Or are we talking a 'from the ground up' 'remimagining', which would essentially be brand new Zelda game - and you expect Grezzo to be doing this? It's not happening and I will eat a hat if this project is a Zelda 2 remake for Switch.

1. It is better remembered that other recent entries in the franchise.

2. It would be an HD game but not necessarily with 3D models (and even then it could be pulled off decently).

3. Are we forgetting about Samus Returns? The game that was fairly well-received and comes from an even more obscure and often cosidered worse entry than Zelda 2?

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Also Unity, but I imagine they're the new Zelda support team or the B team (previously the ones that made the handheld games)

Don't think that looking for experience in those engines means much. Probably easier than asking for something more specific.

I'd like to see Grezzo grow. While they're not Zelda quality yet, it would be nice to have a second team that makes Zelda likes since the main team takes forever.
They were pretty impressive on 3DS as well.

Would like to see how the 3DS only devs adapt to Switch. Grezzo should manage, but I'd like to see the M&L team make huge strides.

Great post, and I have similar hopes. Do we have a solid indication from Nintendo that the previous handheld team worked on BOTW and/or has been assimilated into the main team? I know Grezzo co-developed TFH but I figured the second team was both assisting with BOTW and working on their own project.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it's remembered at all it's with distaste by the vast majority. It was considered a famous mis-step until very recently. And Samus Returns worked because they used it the original game to frame an entirely new 2D classic Metroid side-scroller, using classic metroid tropes and gameplay. How does that work with Zelda 2? Are they going to remake it using the 'classic' top down style of Zelda games, in which case why use Zelda 2 as the inspiration when you're stripping away the only thing that made it unique or are they going to work with the same weird side-on format of the original, which is kinda hard to even imagine how that would work in 2018. I just don't see it. I get that you do but I think you're going to be disappointed.

How do you see this game working?

jal

Oct 30, 2017
I will be surprised if BotW's follow-up doesn't have multiplayer elements. Much as I enjoy the Four Swords games, BotW strikes me as friendlier to co-op play than your average Zelda. Letting a second player control Link's wolf, companion, for example, would be a natural way to help friends play together without necessarily upending the basic game design. Or player 2 could be a second humanoid character and collect tools, cook food, and mark points of interest for player one.

I'd love if they did additional DLC for BOTW that incorporated co-op play.

As much as we sh*t on it, the GaaS model can lead to continual content development for our favorite games. More Zelda and Mario would be welcome by most if not all

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Probably porting the seiken densetsu 2 remake to switch.

Very unlikely if you ask me. Square Enix can handle this alone, it shouldn't be so hard for them to create a Switch Port after they released the Remake for the now announced systems.

This here is pretty likely related to Zelda. I also think Nintendo won't give Ishii another chance of a new IP after Ever Oasis was a bomb (still a great game).

A Zelda II Remake would be a safe bet, but, since this is the gaming industry, we will most likely see something very different. A complete new topdown Zelda would be a blast since A Link Between Worlds was awesome. But following recent trends and hints, this will most likely become a Remake of either Zelda I or Zelda II. Wouldn't mind if they remake both games.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
With that kind of studio count, they're definitely assisting something then. Or their game is really small. Using tools like Unreal would mean that Grezzo or someone else is doing development. With that, I'll probably lower my expectations as to what it is
57 people is more then enough enough for a mid size dev team.

Next Level games who did luigi's mansion: dark moon and federation force has 77. Intelligent Systems, which is seen as a "larger" studio with two dev teams managing several IP's (fire emblem, wario ware, pushmo, paper mario, codename steam) has 150 employees for example.

Most of nintendo's hub/2nd party/whatever studios are rather small. Do know that nintendo recently often uses Monolith Kyoto as a support studio for art assets and 3D models.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Geoff, you know the Oracle games started life as remakes of Zelda 1 and 2. It's not an unprecedented idea.