• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you rather Grezzo made next?

• A Link To The Last

Votes: 151 12.4%
  • Oracle of Ages/Seasons

Votes: 732 60.2%
  • Original Top-down Zelda

Votes: 332 27.3%

• Total voters

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Now that we have SNES on Switch I don't think we need LTtP at all since it has aged rather well. The oracle games need updates more, but I would always prefer an original game to a remake.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I'd rather a Link Between Worlds port first, prolly would take a lot less time to get out.
Would definitely buy that, but the game felt a bit too formulaic to me. Like, the dungeons didn't feel like actual places that belong to the game world, but more like separate puzzle games, more than in other Zeldas. And the "merge into walls" ability also felt too gamey and not really coherent to what I personally expect from Zelda games. Could be just me but that were my thoughts after finishing ALBW.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Frog For Whom The Bell Tolls is the secret best answer, but I want them to do the Oracle games too. I wonder if Grezzo could manage to release all three within the Switch's lifespan...

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I mean it's technically not a direct one in the story but it may as well be. Alttp's world doesn't need to be revisited again.

It's technically a direct sequel because the Japanese name for it is Triforce of the Gods 2. The original ALTTP of course being Triforce of the Gods.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
I never finished the oracle games, and my cart battery is dead, so give me those first.

After that, I think it's time for some original 2D Zeldas

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
The Frog For Whom The Bell Tolls
This would actually be great, but at the same time, I'd love if it actually doubled down as a sequel, Fire Emblem 3 style. I remember that game being much simpler than LA.

I do not want an Alttp remake unless they take more liberties than LA, because this title at least had more charming characters. Oracles would be good, honestly, but I'd rather see them remake some japanese exclusive game like TFTWTBT or Marvelous: Mōhitotsu no Takarajima so that they don't get stuck in limbo forever.

They should remake all 2D Zeldas to look like LA.
Minish Cap was beautiful and it'd be sad to loose that spritework...
From the QOL side of things I'd agree that there's some stuff to improve, mainly on the kingstone system and the seashell store.

Last edited:

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Oracle games were my first time playing a Zelda game in my life. The concept to play one game then continue the adventure in the other (via password) was impressive at that time. They deserve the remake treatment like LA and even retake their original concept of 3 games (Farore deserves their spotlight in the story).

Oct 27, 2017
I would love to see a remake of the regular Zelda, that when Ganon is destroyed, another part of the map opens, revealing the rest of hyrule, replaying the events of Zelda 2 in a top down fashion, and changing it so the two worlds interact with one another (I.e. revisiting Death Mountain/Ganons lair for the hammer)

Call it "The Hyrule Fantasy - The Legend of Zelda" in honor of the original FDS release.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I would love the Oracle games to get remade because they were great and sort of are lost to time and deserve more people to discover them.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Oracle games.
A link to the past has aged so well and it's so good that there is no need to remake it.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be fine with either of those as long as they choose a different artstyle. I'm not a fan of the one they chose for link's awakening.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
First off: They really need to fix/optimize their engine first.

Second: As much as I was both ALTTP and/or the Oracle games remade, part of me wishes they could just pull another ALBW and make a new top-down entry.

Widdowmaker

Oct 31, 2017
Great Britain
I would like to see the Oracle games remade, as they are excellent entries in the series and amongst the best portable games I've played. Plus, a lot of people I know personally never played them. That being said, I have to vote for an entirely new game.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Minish Cap doesn't need a remake, it's already the best looking Zelda game and isn't plagued with the same inconveniences as the Game Boy titles.
The controls and inventory issues need fixed. I always found the gameboy and GBA games to be almost unplayable due to the constant time swapping.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I sort of did a thread about this once because I had a bunch of thoughts about it after it Link's Awakening remake was announced.

Here are the games:

2D:
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Four Swords
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes

3D:
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Weird Side Scroller Thing:
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Link's Awakening, Original Legend of Zelda, and the two Oracle games work eazily in the new engine without making many changes to the art style.
Link Between Worlds was about 5 years ago, and I don't know if it's engine is necessary to port. I think it, LTTP, and Minish cap port with an art refresh from the LA.
The Four Swords games similarly can probably use the same engine, but will be much better with online.
Phantom Hourglass and Spirit tracks could use a touch-free mode and work in the same engine again.
I haven't played Tri-Force Heroes, so I can't really comment.

All of the 3D games could be rebuilt in the Breath of the Wild engine, but since all but Skyward Sword have a recent remake, they probably could just be ported again with minimal rework. Skyward Sword would probably be a similar HD port, but would need work on the control side.

Zelda II should absolutely be remade and packed with original LOZ. I think both of these are ripe for re-imagining. I think the QOL improvements of SNES+ generation Zelda games would be super welcome here.

Just my thoughts.

POSTSCRIPT: I strongly believe that the Switch is a system with a 10-20 year life that will receive multiple hardware upgrades over the years each with full backwards compatibility. I think the only thing that will retire the backwards compatibility will be a break-up with NVidia or a need to Switch from ARM to something like RISC-V.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
i am hoping a mix of the two answers we get a oracle remake but they also make the Mystical seed of courage as a third oracle game and release them say 40 bucks each or a complete set for 100

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Thank you OP for including the third poll entry. Unsure why it isn't a landslide win though. Really want to see what Grezzo can do with an original title

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
I would die for this la remake style on a Chrono trigger remake.
Dream aside a link between words or lttp remakes please

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I feel like the Oracle games are unlikely just because of the Capcom involvement? Just seems like it'd be weird rights-wise though I guess they were re-released on 3DS and even had some Smash Ultimate spirits so maybe it's less complicated than I think.

Also yeah, a new game would be my ideal scenario I think. What was the last 2D Zelda that wasn't a remake or sequel? Minish Cap? I feel like PH and ST on DS were kind of doing their own thing with the touch controls, and LBW traded a lot on LTTP nostalgia even if it was a very good game in its own right.

Apo

Oct 28, 2017
If it's a remake then the Oracle games. Otherwise I would prefer an original game. ALttP doesn't need remake like LA because thanks to 16bit graphics it still looks good.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'd love Minish Cap over everything else.

I know it's one of the most forgotten Zelda games but I legit loved it. It had a lot of personality.

Unlike Link's Awakening, though, I think I'd like to see it get moe tweaks and maybe even full additional content, beyond stuff like the dungeon maker thing.

Out of the proposed options, though, Oracles would be first choice. Don't even need to change the art stole from LA! I only played one of them, too, so I'd get more out of it.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HD collection for Switch (with Majora's Mask fixed by removing the stupid shit from the 3DS version).

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
The Oracle games; I've never played them myself, and it's unlikely I will if I have to play them on a Gameboy Color.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Not to be a dick...but they should focus on fixing Links Awakening first before even thinking of moving onto something else. Love the game but the technical issues, the aggressive DOF is souring the experience.
I'm trying to remember the last time this many people complained about a Nintendo first party release. Surely this should not have passed their QA. Unless they were desperate to get it out alongside Switch mini.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wishlist in a perfect world:
- Oracle games, expanded. This needs to happen.
- A Link's Awakening sequel in the LA engine.
- Port the 3DS games to Switch. I want to buy them again lol.

Sp1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
ALttP looks and plays perfectly fine and doesn't need a dumb interpretation in which it looks like plastic toys. And what needs to be fucked up even less is Minish Cap and its great spritework.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
The Oracles games are among my favorites, and probably the most underrated games in the entire franchise. I never hear anyone talk about them, and yet they feature some of the most innovative ideas that have never been duplicated before. I'd be thrilled if they got remade, and with regard to the original game idea, perhaps Grezzo could make the originally-announced third game of the series, Oracle of Secrets.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to remember the last time this many people complained about a Nintendo first party release. Surely this should not have passed their QA. Unless they were desperate to get it out alongside Switch mini.

Agree. The game does not have that same feel as other 1st party games in regards to polish. BoTW had some slowdown as well, but is was no where as jarring as this game. The worst part about is that the game is so damn good that the jumps from 60 to 30 just really take you out of the game. I know some folks are plowing through it and just accepting it because the game is great, but I have a hard time playing it when it is this jarring. I really hope they give a 1080p/30locked option.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I sort of did a thread about this once because I had a bunch of thoughts about it after it Link's Awakening remake was announced.

Here are the games:

2D:
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Four Swords
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes

3D:
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Weird Side Scroller Thing:
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Link's Awakening, Original Legend of Zelda, and the two Oracle games work eazily in the new engine without making many changes to the art style.
Link Between Worlds was about 5 years ago, and I don't know if it's engine is necessary to port. I think it, LTTP, and Minish cap port with an art refresh from the LA.
The Four Swords games similarly can probably use the same engine, but will be much better with online.
Phantom Hourglass and Spirit tracks could use a touch-free mode and work in the same engine again.
I haven't played Tri-Force Heroes, so I can't really comment.

All of the 3D games could be rebuilt in the Breath of the Wild engine, but since all but Skyward Sword have a recent remake, they probably could just be ported again with minimal rework. Skyward Sword would probably be a similar HD port, but would need work on the control side.

Zelda II should absolutely be remade and packed with original LOZ. I think both of these are ripe for re-imagining. I think the QOL improvements of SNES+ generation Zelda games would be super welcome here.

Just my thoughts.

POSTSCRIPT: I strongly believe that the Switch is a system with a 10-20 year life that will receive multiple hardware upgrades over the years each with full backwards compatibility. I think the only thing that will retire the backwards compatibility will be a break-up with NVidia or a need to Switch from ARM to something like RISC-V.

It certainly would be something to be able to play every single Zelda ever made on a single console, be it the Switch 2 or 3 or whatever it may be by the time we get there, and assuming that all future Switch's will have full backwards compatibility with the past Switchs' libraries. They just gotta work on porting over the remasters/remakes we already got, and remaking the 2D ones or having them brought over via Nintendo Online Classic.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's called Triforce of the Gods 2 in Japan, with "Triforce of the Gods" being A Link to the Past's Japanese name.
Damn, that's such a better name than "A Link to the Past". Why did they change it? "Triforce of the Gods" is cool and very marketable, in my opinion.