• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

Baby Yoda Character “Completely Stolen” From ‘Gremlins,’ Says Director Joe Dante

"Baby Yoda...is completely stolen and is just out-and-out copied" from Gizmo. "Shamelessly, I would think," said the 'Gremlins' director.

"I think the longevity of [the films] is really key to this one character [Gizmo], who is essentially like a baby," director Joe Dante recently told the San Francisco Chronicle of the star of his classic Gremlins films. "Which brings me, of course, to the subject of Baby Yoda, who is completely stolen and is just out-and-out copied. Shamelessly, I would think."

It's quite a charge, but the two cuddly creatures with extraordinary powers, big eyes and expressive ears do look a lot alike when seen side by side. However, the initial inspiration for The Mandalorian's Grugu — Baby Yoda's actual name — undoubtedly predates the first Gremlins, which came out in 1984. Yoda made his debut four years prior, as a seemingly impish little swamp creature who bugged Luke Skywalker while he was bogged down on Degobah.
I hope it was tongue and cheek or else....

confused-who-are-you-talking-to.gif

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Knowing Joe Dante's sense of humor (Gremlin's 2 in particular), tongue and cheek.

I don't think he's necessarily wrong either though.

Also Joe Dante is 75. Holy cow.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the Gremlins are in the Star Wars universe and a Gremlin hooked up with Yoda at some point.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the Germlins are in the Star Wars universe and a Germlins hooked up with Yoda at some point.
starwars.fandom.com

Asogian/Legends

Asogians were paddle-footed, large-eyed sentients indigenous to Brodo Asogi. During the last decades of the Galactic Republic, the Asogians were represented in the Galactic Senate by Senator Grebleips and a trio of aides. When the Republic became the Galactic Empire at the conclusion of the...

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
To be fair, Grogu is just Yoda x Gizmo. Dante also could just be using hyperbole jokingly here or trying to get a rise out of people. His sense of humour is weird like that.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Lay off Joe Dante

He gotta be like 80

He made the burbs and innerspace too

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit they're extremely similar. That's crazy I never noticed that.

It honestly does look like a rip-off but these designs aren't really that elaborate in the first place either. Just look at Furby.

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I mean anyone who doesn't acknowledge that Gizmo walked so Grogu could run is lying to themselves.

Grogu is essentially Gizmo but in the Star Wars universe.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
don't know how many people were around when gremlins was made but there was a gizmo frenzy just like there was for baby yoda. i had a gizmo doll when i was a kid.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what… I came into this thread ready to shit on the guy's take but after this comparison shot idk anymore

E: beaten by MasterYoshi
change the nose and baby yoda is really just a hairless gizmo. maybe yoda's species is just an offshoot of the mogwais. we never see yoda produce more evil versions of himself because yoda has never bathed before.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean they are fairly similar I guess.

baby-yoda-gizmo-gremlins.webp

Not even fairly similar, pretty blatantly: this was mentioned when Mando S1 dropped but was never dwelled on much. It is what it is, honestly, it's part of why the design works so well- it was proven to work with the Mogwai 30 years ago. He's allowed to call it out but I don't think he's being that serious about it.

Last edited: