• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
What I mean is, she shouldn't respond to any of the criticism specifically from this thread, even on a podcast. It would be better to respond generally and (hopefully) in a more directly critical way of Notch and PDPs actions if not the people themselves.

But to respond to anything that has come out of this thread is inviting further criticism and outrage.

Well he already responded and invited people to tag him so it's kinda like crying over spilled milk

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Damn fuck him. This is true?

If the time mark doesn't work, it's 10 minutes in.

I don't know how anyone could actually see and listen to this and seriously believe that PewDiePie didn't know what he was saying or that he felt remorseful about it. At minimum, you'd have only heard about this incident secondhand.

Last edited:

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018

If the time mark doesn't work, it's 10 minutes in.

I don't know how anyone could actually see and listen to this and seriously believe that PewDiePie didn't know what he was saying or that he felt remorseful about it. At minimum, you'd have only heard about this incident secondhand.

Oh I'm privy to this situation it's the switching the B emoji afterwards that I didn't know.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I'm privy to this situation it's the switching the B emoji afterwards that I didn't know.
If you just look it up on YouTube you'll probably see a much shorter video that won't have that part. There was an undercurrent of "oh no pewdiepie said a bad word now the haters are going to be triggered" throughout the stream that lasted much longer than a minute.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought KF defending Anthem for all its problems and attacking those who questioned them was a odd hill to die on, but this easily takes the cake. Don't worry though because you can buy a "pride month" shirt with their logo slapped on it. Come the fuck on guys.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
And this is precisely why I don't listen to podcasts as heavily as I have in the past, there aren't enough that represent me and whenever anyone of these issues pops up they never denounce and outright call them what they really are; racists, bigots, or just outright terrible human filth.

Plus, not one of them except literally a couple are even halfway informed about the shit they're talking about. You COVER this shit day in and day out...for some, it's literally your job to be informed and knowledgeable.

Podcasts to me right now, in 2019, are the equivalent of Gamestop...a whole lot of glits and glamour and cackle, but no substance.

Fuck em.
There was a time where I probably had 20 on the docket every day, now I have Pod Save America and Tell em Steve Dave lol

This whole thing is dumb, why even talk about it at all if you don't have all the information or even care to learn why people don't like PDP and Notch.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I thought KF defending Anthem for all its problems and attacking those who questioned them was a odd hill to die on, but this easily takes the cake. Don't worry though because you can buy a "pride month" shirt with their logo slapped on it. Come the fuck on guys.
It's not like they made them last night as a quick counter. All of Rooster Teeth has them made for all their shows. I bought the Achievement Hunter one. KF may have had final approval on design but it almost certainly wasn't even their idea. Came from core Rooster Teeth - they already had a rainbow overall RT design - they just expanded to include channels specifically..

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not like they made them last night as a quick counter. All of Rooster Teeth has them made for all their shows. I bought the Achievement Hunter one. KF may have had final approval on design but it almost certainly wasn't even their idea. Came from core Rooster Teeth - they already had a rainbow overall RT design - they just expanded to include channels specifically..

I'm sure it's been planned just piss poor timing is all.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, if you're actually waiting in anticipation to tune into a podcast and think Andrea, let alone Greg, is going to have some 5 minute apology for Resetera lined up you're just going to disappoint yourselves.

I doubt anything will be said on the next podcasts fullstop, considering it was said to me earlier none of the KF regulars off of this forum have even picked up on this or said anything. There's nothing on the KF reddit either.

What we've got from Greg in here is probably going to be all that is going to be said and Greg will probably never post on Era again. I don't think Andrea has an account here.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guys, if you're actually waiting in anticipation to tune into a podcast and think Andrea, let alone Greg, is going to have some 5 minute apology for Resetera lined up you're just going to disappoint yourselves.

I doubt anything will be said on the next podcasts fullstop, considering it was said to me earlier none of the KF regulars off of this forum have even picked up on this or said anything. There's nothing on the KF reddit either.

What we've got from Greg in here is probably going to be all that is going to be said and Greg will probably never post on Era again. I don't think Andrea has an account here.
Andrea expressed how much she hated the old place so I imagine she holds the same disdain for this one since its largely the same community.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018

I'm inclined to agree. That post from Greg will probably be all that comes of it.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Andrea expressed how much she hated the old place so I imagine she holds the same disdain for this one since its largely the same community.

I think half the industry ended up "hating" NeoGAF to be fair. Ask CliffyB what he thought. Look what happened when NeoGAF was burning and a lot of people came out of the industry woodwork to essentially cheer.

I see the odd dev around Resetera, but most of this community is simply consumers. It's probably a PR risk to post on forums now so you don't end up becoming Dennis Dyack 2.0. Or that MS guy that PM'd someone saying "What is your contribution?". That was mad. Someone Bell I think. Geoff Bell?

It's very easy on forums to lose your cool. Justified or not justified. I am pretty certain a handful of NPD folk have quit this forum as well after online broils and arguments.

Not that anything above has much to do with this topic persay, but look at the largest industry figures even if they have forum accounts. Hardly any posts. Not that I expect them to have 10k posts on Era, but the accounts are pretty much just used for marketing/PR. It's not worth engaging in arguing on forums for most of their bottom lines. Or they simply don't want to. Greg's thread marked reply in here will likely be all we'll see.

Last edited:

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I understand and relate to this and apologize for falling into that without realizing. I got away from my initial point and it did turn into this the further it went along.

No worries, that's why we have conversation and continue on.

This is pretty much over however. Greg made his post, and I highly doubt they'll ever mention this again. But Andrea does some foolishness it will pop back up

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I think half the industry ended up "hating" NeoGAF to be fair. Ask CliffyB what he thought. Look what happened when NeoGAF was burning and a lot of people came out of the industry woodwork to essentially cheer.

I see the odd dev around Resetera, but most of this community is simply consumers. It's probably a PR risk to post on forums now so you don't end up becoming Dennis Dyack 2.0. Or that MS guy that PM'd someone saying "What is your contribution?". That was mad. Someone Bell I think. Geoff Bell?

It's very easy on forums to lose your cool. Justified or not justified.

Not that anything above has much to do with this topic persay, but look at the largest industry figures even if they have forum accounts. Hardly any posts. Not that I expect them to have 10k posts on Era, but the accounts are pretty much just used for marketing/PR.
We have plenty of big name journalists and folks from the industry here. If you haven't noticed everyone ended up hating the old place (gaf) due to the owner being a fucking rapist. I really don't see how you come to your conclusion.
Obviously official game company channels would rather use Reddit where they have big influence and control over the community, rather than using a forum where you're not even allowed to advertise your games.

Oh and caring about CliffyB's opinion should be the last thing you do... seriously.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We have plenty of big name journalists and folks from the industry here. If you haven't noticed everyone ended up hating the old place (gaf) due to the owner being a fucking rapist. I really don't see how you come to your conclusion.
Obviously official game company channels would rather use Reddit where they have big influence and control over the community, rather than using a forum where you're not even allowed to advertise your games.

Oh and caring about CliffyB's opinion should be the last thing you do... seriously.

I know there is some, not sure how active everyone is. As I said above many dev, journalist or industry Era accounts just pop up to do PR/marketing, not necessarily engage in arguments and debates. I know my fellow Scot Stinkles gets right in about arguments. Probably the most active big name dev (Halo franchise) I know in here who isn't just doing PR/marketing. Greg Miller does not use Resetera to talk to people here, his account has like 60 posts.

Look, there's not too much point us carrying this on before mods here start warning for bringing up history, but if you think there wasn't some genuine clashes/negativity and animosity from the corporate/dev side of the games industry to the consumer side active on NeoGAF, I don't really know what to tell you. CliffyB or not, he's just one instance that went viral on the forum, like Dennis Dyack did. And mentioning CliffyB doesn't mean I necessarily like CliffyB, it was just a vivid memory because of how wild the forum drama was.

Last edited:

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Ok guys and girls you'll have to tell me what's going on in this thread I haven't got time to read 39 pages what happened

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably a PR risk to post on forums now so you don't end up becoming Dennis Dyack 2.0. Or that MS guy that PM'd someone saying "What is your contribution?". That was mad. Someone Bell I think. Geoff Bell?

It's very easy on forums to lose your cool. Justified or not justified.
Yeah, there's Twitter for burning yourself on PR disasters now =P

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there's Twitter for burning yourself on PR disasters now =P

The difference with Twitter is it's far easier to just go YOLO and carry on posting your tweets and ignoring shit.

You can't really do that on a forum. Posters will follow you into other topics and your whole ability to use a forum pretty much implodes if you fuck up or make a mistake. Hence why expect Greg to just never come back to Resetera.

When it gets hot on a forum you just bail, or maybe end up banned. Hence why many in the industry will just ignore forums, or simply use them as marketing/PR.

Further response from Greg Miller

gameovergreggy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Hey, everyone--

Sorry for not making it back yesterday. This is the first time I've sat at a computer since posting Tuesday night.

Someone pointed out above that the discussion is anchored to Era, so I could probably just leave and never come back. That's not my way. All I have is my authenticity. I don't mind talking and learning.

Thank you for continuing the conversation here. There are a lot of posts here that really help me out, and I think shine a light on what went wrong Monday because, believe it or not, we agree: fuck bigots and racists.

Where we got off track Monday on the show comes down to "privilege." Many of you have echoed the same thought on here that's basically "How the fuck can Greg NOT know all this shit about PDP/Notch." The answer is pretty simple: when you say dumb shit on the Internet and you're just on the peripheral of my world (another influencer/some retired dev), I go "Well, you're dumb" and ignore you.

That's privilege.

I haven't had to fight for my rights, my identity, or my life. I identify my job as keeping Kinda Funny going, critiquing games, and keeping up with gaming news when it comes to titles/developers/etc. As such, it's easy to not click on Julia Alexander's headlines about YouTube personalities fucking up and keep looking for info on Game Pass.

That's privilege, and frankly, it's not one I've had to think about until this week.

If you watch Kinda Funny, you know that I preach "be better to each other," but beyond my one on one interactions, I'm still trying to figure out what that means. 2018 saw me acknowledge that I have a platform and that I need to be better about using it. I brought on smaller creators and tried to highlight minority voices.

To me, everything we're talking about is another aspect of that, and it's one that I need to learn. Monday saw me try to get a handle on two stories that intersected with *my* gaming world and the world I've seen headlines about but haven't focused on. That's not OK. My responsibilities are greater than that.

I gotta go record the Gamescast, but after that, I'll pop back in to respond to some more comments.
Greg

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Just catching up with this thread and what went down in KF this Monday and I gotta say I'm heartbreakingly disappointed with both Greg and Andrea.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, everyone--

Sorry for not making it back yesterday. This is the first time I've sat at a computer since posting Tuesday night.

Someone pointed out above that the discussion is anchored to Era, so I could probably just leave and never come back. That's not my way. All I have is my authenticity. I don't mind talking and learning.

Thank you for continuing the conversation here. There are a lot of posts here that really help me out, and I think shine a light on what went wrong Monday because, believe it or not, we agree: fuck bigots and racists.

Where we got off track Monday on the show comes down to "privilege." Many of you have echoed the same thought on here that's basically "How the fuck can Greg NOT know all this shit about PDP/Notch." The answer is pretty simple: when you say dumb shit on the Internet and you're just on the peripheral of my world (another influencer/some retired dev), I go "Well, you're dumb" and ignore you.

That's privilege.

I haven't had to fight for my rights, my identity, or my life. I identify my job as keeping Kinda Funny going, critiquing games, and keeping up with gaming news when it comes to titles/developers/etc. As such, it's easy to not click on Julia Alexander's headlines about YouTube personalities fucking up and keep looking for info on Game Pass.

That's privilege, and frankly, it's not one I've had to think about until this week.

If you watch Kinda Funny, you know that I preach "be better to each other," but beyond my one on one interactions, I'm still trying to figure out what that means. 2018 saw me acknowledge that I have a platform and that I need to be better about using it. I brought on smaller creators and tried to highlight minority voices.

To me, everything we're talking about is another aspect of that, and it's one that I need to learn. Monday saw me try to get a handle on two stories that intersected with *my* gaming world and the world I've seen headlines about but haven't focused on. That's not OK. My responsibilities are greater than that.

I gotta go record the Gamescast, but after that, I'll pop back in to respond to some more comments.
Greg

lol, Greg goes and responds minutes after I say he probably won't respond.

Props for responding. Only thing I can add at this point Greg is you'll probably see quite a few people are looking for Andrea's thoughts, though you obviously cannot speak for her.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Just want to say that I appreciate you following up on this and considering this situation, gameovergreggy . I'm not too familiar with your history and I haven't really been decided on this, but your responses in this thread haven't struck me as flippant or performative, at least.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Hey, everyone--

That's privilege.

Greg

Thanks for dropping by with a response.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Hey, everyone--

That's privilege.

Greg
Thank you for acknowledging the issues. You're doing a good thing letting the community know how you feel about it.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, everyone--

That's privilege.

Greg
Look man, "be better to each other" sounds an awful lot like placing the blame on "both sides". I know that's not what you mean, but just be aware how hollow that phrase rings for people who are recipients of abuse due to their gender, skin color and/or sexuality. People need the support of media personalities like you to speak up on these issues and place criticism where criticism is due. That's all anyone's asking, really. Aside from that, good on you for at least taking the time to listen and reply in good faith. I appreciate it.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, everyone--

That's privilege.

Greg

Was definitely critical earlier in the thread but this is a solid response. Thanks for continuing to engage with the community instead of just hoping it blows over.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, everyone--

That's privilege.

Greg

Well, i'm happy to be proven wrong. Glad you decided to not bail out and recognize the issue. Also glad to see you're taking it to heart and seem to be on the right track to do better. Recognizing one's privilege can lead to a lot of uncomfortable questions and difficult decisions. I have just one advice when it comes to these issues. Listen. It's all it takes to understand most times.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, everyone--

That's privilege.

Greg

My initial thoughts from your first post was that you still needed to listen and reflect on the importance of your wording of your stance on the subject and going by this, it seems you are which is encouraging to me. Thank you for updating.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, everyone--

That's privilege.

Greg
thank you

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, everyone--

That's privilege.

Greg
Nice to see a follow up response. Step in the right direction. I will say Andrea Rene is looking pretty shitty at the moment.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I sincerely hope once he is back, he makes it clear that he really thinks those two individuals are bigots... I mean specifically mentioning their names as opposed to a broad brush statement. It all started with those two.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Hey, everyone--

That's privilege.

Greg
This is a great post. Thanks for the update.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, everyone--

That's privilege.

Greg

Thank you for responding and taking it seriously. It really does feel good to hear.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, everyone--

That's privilege.

Greg
Well said.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
It's 2019 and people still haven't thought about their privilege until it affects them directly. The world is wild.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Hey, everyone--

That's privilege.

Greg
Just want to say that I really appreciate what you are doing right now and with your earlier post in the thread. As Audioboxer said few times, it would be really easy to just run away and hide from here. You don't do that and I really respect that. Hopefully you still feel welcomed to this forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.