• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
I feel like I already know this will be a trigger question for some people, but what the hell, this thread has already almost ran its course: I watched 3 minutes of the 2012 clip that was posted with the Tomb Raider actress. The objectionable bit is where he told people to go Google a nude photo of the actress taken from when she was nude while filming Californication -- is that right? Or does it continue into cringe-worthy territory and I just didn't let it play long enough?

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I feel like I already know this will be a trigger question for some people, but what the hell, this thread has already almost ran its course: I watched 3 minutes of the 2012 clip that was posted with the Tomb Raider actress. The objectionable bit is where he told people to go Google a nude photo of the actress taken from when she was nude while filming Californication -- is that right? Or does it continue into cringe-worthy territory and I just didn't let it play long enough?
It was all I had to see atleast. The video was timestamped on that part too, so I'd assume it was it. If there's even more, that I'm not aware of.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yeah, it's a juvenile, dick move...no question. I still fail to see how it relates to video posted in the OP, but what the hell do I know.
Well, it's definitely different kind of problematic than what's in the OP. But I also agree it's not really necessary or hugely relevant to bring up in the thread.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
Well, it's definitely different kind of problematic than what's in the OP. But I also think it's not really necessary or hugely relevant to bring up in the thread.

Agreed. Welp, thank you for the mature and level-headed interaction....seems odd to thank others for that, but this is the internet, after all. Guess with that I'll take my leave of the thread since it seems like we've truly reached the end of interesting conversation on this bit.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at Greg's past of like 7 years ago and using that to act as if he's still that bad just because he wasn't as hard as he should have been on his podcast seems a bit silly. I thought with the James Gunn situation, Era as a whole showed that they knew that people can change, even if they were adults at the time they were doing that terrible stuff. If you can bring up more recent past then I feel that's relevant but bringing stuff from 7 years ago just seems petty.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
From memory, Easy Allies were at least condemning of PDP and THQ Nordic following their controversies.

In particular, Ben Moore came down on PDP after the N-word thing and Huber was really harsh about THQ Nordic.

I actually have never checked out EZA, despite meaning to! I know people tend to hold them in high regard, and it's good to hear they're on the right side of stuff. Might have to give them a look-see.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually have never checked out EZA, despite meaning to! I know people tend to hold them in high regard, and it's good to hear they're on the right side of stuff. Might have to give them a look-see.

A good number of them hang out on era a lot and many of them post in the community thread. They're not perfect, but they all seem like pretty good dudes for the most part.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at Greg's past of like 7 years ago and using that to act as if he's still that bad just because he wasn't as hard as he should have been on his podcast seems a bit silly. I thought with the James Gunn situation, Era as a whole showed that they knew that people can change, even if they were adults at the time they were doing that terrible stuff. If you can bring up more recent past then I feel that's relevant but bringing stuff from 7 years ago just seems petty.

James Gunn apologized for that stuff multiple times. I think in this and other situations a sincere (not a sorry if you were offended) apology goes a long way to show change. I do agree the clip isn't very relevant to these events though.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread went from legitimate criticism, to a race to see how badly 2 people could get torn apart for not being "perfect" hosts at any point in their career. This is how some of y'all act when there is even a whiff that someone in the industry might be cancelled:

Take time to realize that these are 3 dimensional people just like you, who won't say or do the right thing every time, live on air. Criticize away, but digging up 7 year old dirt is simply unhealthy

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My humble opinion is that Youtube is a destructive platform in the first-place. The problems with it are systematic, whereby young, inexperienced, completely ignorant folks get a platform to say and do what they want. That process will involve some learning and growing, as was the case with probably most of you young people on this email-thread. The only difference is that they do it publically, while you do it privately or within your community. That's the systematic problem. You get to make your stupid mistakes in a way that doesn't destroy you. Maybe that's their fault for stepping into that world, but I assure you, they step into that public role fully ignorant of what the consequences of their actions are.

Crudpie is a 30 year old man.

Stop. Babying. Bigots.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
[
lol you seem to. Bob hasn't harassed anyone but Colin and his fans sure have.
You're either ignorant to Bob or straight up lying. What Bob's done for the past several years is textbook harassment. Just because he's doing it to someone we don't like doesn't mean it's okay.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This thread went from legitimate criticism, to a race to see how badly 2 people could get torn apart for not being "perfect" hosts at any point in their career. This is how some of y'all act when there is even a whiff that someone in the industry might be cancelled:

Take time to realize that these are 3 dimensional people just like you, who won't say or do the right thing every time, live on air. Criticize away, but digging up 7 year old dirt is simply unhealthy

I am judging Greg on his actions yesterday. Cool?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

If you're uncomfortable with discussions about what public figures say and do in the course of their public roles, you're going to take issue with the thread. The basis for this happened yesterday.

I'm not reading character assasination; I'm seeing people coming to terms with patterns of bad behavior. Seven years is a very short period of time for adults. Bringing up previous behaviors as context for the most recent event couldn't be any more valid. "People are three-dimentional" is a poor deflection when people are talking about specific personal failings, and their mistreatment of others (and effective defenses of bad behavior in others). It doesn't particularly matter if someone also tells funny jokes or is nice to some people when they "spend" their exposure defending things like this.

Oct 25, 2017
One of the things that kind of says 'white privilege' to me is when white people (I'm a white person) think they should have the benefit of the doubt on something because they've made their position clear in the past. Thinking they have the benefit of the doubt on such issues, is a bit of a trap I see generally good people walk into. Obviously if you're familiar with previous statements by the person you'll not question their motive, but audiences are constantly in flux, and it's something we all need to be constantly aware of.

There isn't an amount of good I can do to give me the benefit of the doubt from everyone indefinitely. We shouldn't be annoyed because minorities that don't know us question whether or not we're an ally after comments like these. That stuff has to be earned and maintained.

How someone can talk about this issue, and think they don't need to make it clear *upfront* their opinion on the very comments that have seen Notch not get an invite to the event is beyond me, but I see it happen enough that I recognize that this is a blind spot for many.

It is "okay to be white" but white people do not deserve the benefit of the doubt. We do not get the default presumption from a minority that we're an ally. Nor should we.
Excellent post.

Nobody has to assume you are "a good person" and against bigotry. You should prove that every time.

This is LITERALLY how his apology starts
"I'm sorry you thought I didn't do X" is not literally the same as "I'm sorry for not doing X".

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're either ignorant to Bob or straight up lying. What Bob's done for the past several years is textbook harassment. Just because he's doing it to someone we don't like doesn't mean it's okay.
No it isn't. And in total he probably replied to less than 100 tweets from collin, the majority of his responses were in arguing with people on twitter over them. Its social media, if you aren't allowed to engage people on the content THEY make public for others to comment on, what is it there for?

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Lololollololololol

Making jokes about a public figures comments is not harassment. Full stop. Especially when said public figure only knows about them because he seeks them out.

Please stop this. You are diminishing people who actually are harassed.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heh Greg Miller is kinda the wrong person to focus on here. His milquetoast agreeability is worthy of criticism of course, but Andrea Rene comes out much worse out of this. She was actually openly defending those bigots in the most lazy and disingenuous way. Miller comes off as weak willed, Rene comes off as someone who agrees with the bigots.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
The James Gunn thing was what happened when disingenuous people dig up old stuff that he already apologized for, moved on, and grew as a person since those days that Disney had known about when they hired him manage to fool a ton of people, including Disney, into a moral rage that led to him being fired. It was one of the biggest corporations falling for a load of far right BS and they deserved looking like fools when they brought him back on board to resume work on Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3. I don't think it's that relevant to this because Greg's not really going to get any sort of punishment out of this and the issues with the discussion being brought up are legit criticism. It's a temporary black eye for him that I'd hope leads to Greg being more upfront with what he said in his apology whenever these topics are brought up on his shows instead of saying them rarely enough while hoping that's enough for anybody viewing his content. He has to say it every time to make it clear what he's talking about. He shouldn't rest on his laurels of saying it once and thinking that's enough for a while. I'd recommend reading Kyle Korver's piece on white privilege and why people with a platform can't just do the bare minimum and think it's going to do much.

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see this thread. KF offered a nuanced yet critical take on the mistakes of famous youtubers, acknowledging their flaws and terrible errors, denounced them, and showed appreciation for their (his?) apology and attempt to fix their mistakes.... and we call that handwaiving?
You either don't know the meaning of those words or are dogwhistling pretty damn hard.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bob hasn't harassed anyone and that's not a lie, the only thing Bob has done is comment on Colin and his idiot followers who have actually harassed people they don't agree with constantly.

Edit:Just saw the mod post.

abacheese

Banned
Mar 21, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Excusing Racism; Account in Junior Phase
you are over reacting on something so small and simple, pdp for an example is not as bad as you describe him to be and i am so stunned to find many members or reseteara subscribed to this notion, i think you guys are blowing it up way out of proportion it just a one in lifetime mistake and everyone moved one honestly.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

comparing gunn's comments to these shows a very poor understanding of the problem

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017

No one is asking them to be perfect. We are asking them to not support racism, bigotry, and transphobia. I don't think its that's hard to do but apparently I was wrong and we should be nicer because we can't have people being mean to them for a day.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None of your heroes are above criticism. If they're being problematic, especially if their handwaving the alt-right, they need to be called out.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one is asking them to be perfect. We are asking them to not support racism, bigotry, and transphobia. I don't think its that's hard to do but apparently I was wrong and we should be nicer because we can't have people being mean to them for a day.

Where do they support racism, bigotry, and transphobia? What in the fucking hell are you talking about?

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Andrea specifically comes off super dismissive here. Greg doesn't take a hard stance, but he at least seems like he's trying to engage with the topic.

Andrea acts like it's all gossip or something. It's pretty infuriating.

Status
Not open for further replies.