• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe his response in the thread is so half-assed and nothing. I mean, I should believe. I remember him doing the same thing about the Colin issue.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
"out of context"

Notic-Hetero-Tweet-600x551.jpg

D0sp51zWkAAhuN9.jpg

Dtwx_ZqUUAAUMpc.jpg

"why you gotta complicate things?"

The absolute best case scenario is Greg went "I know nothing about why Notch is labelled a racist, misogynist nutjob but I'm going to jump in anyway without doing any research!"

As Andrea follows Notch on twitter she can't claim ignorance.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, because I know this example because I read the OP, many people posted implying that this is not an isolated incident for her and I want to know what other instances they were referring to.

She embarrassed herself with the whole anthem/bioware defense force she went on for weeks, ignoring every valid criticism of the game and calling everyone crybabies who tried to show her how wrong she was. She does this shit all the time, she will stan for corps and "fellow youtubers" until she's blue in the face.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
"out of context"

Notic-Hetero-Tweet-600x551.jpg

D0sp51zWkAAhuN9.jpg

Dtwx_ZqUUAAUMpc.jpg

"why you gotta complicate things?"

The absolute best case scenario is Greg went "I know nothing about why Notch is labelled a racist, misogynist nutjob but I'm going to jump in anyway without doing any research!"

Such wacky stuff. In fairness, I personally continue to believe she could easily be unaware of these examples, but that does not excuse how she came off, and I think handwaving this, intentionally or not, is dangerous and warrants some anger and disappointment.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
To be completely fair, just because you follow someone on Twitter doesn't mean you're going to see everything they tweet. Doesn't excuse her for not doing the research before the show, and I'm not sure how she wouldn't have seen what he's said elsewhere, but my point is that her following him doesn't really mean anything. She follows over a thousand people.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
*notices Rene co-hosting Borderlands event which starts in 10 minutes*

*checks Reset*

*notices thread, clicks it*

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I understand that for a lot of you, these people don't deserve some of the scorn they are receiving in this thread, The fact is, this is Bigger then just Videogames.

You can be upset at how aggressive the rhetoric towards them is, just as much as Others can be upset about how little they care about normalizing dangerous people.

If you really are fans of their content, and fans of them as people, you owe it to yourselves and to them to Stop defending their Ambivalent behaviour, and hold them to a higher standard. People in their position set a Dangerous Precedent treating people enabling shootings like PewDiePie with kids gloves, and they should be politely and consistently held responsible until they are aware of the Responsibility they hold in their position.

Also, recognize why people get so mad they stop being polite when talking about this issue as For many people now, Especially after the things these two have said or done, this is much more then two videogame entertainers being uncritical about newsworthy individuals in their industry. Most people, Hell, ALL PEOPLE have a lot to lose letting these kinds of hateful people off the hook, and most are treating this the right way, as Unacceptable.

Please be more critical of people you enjoy watching or listening to on the internet. If you truly love and respect them as people, Be willing to Recognize when they've done wrong, and be supportive of them for trying to correct it. Playing Defense for internet celebrities isn't going to convince anybody that doesn't care about them, and it's sure as shit isn't going to help them improve and recognize their mistakes.

If they Double Down, and are unwilling to see their behaviour as unacceptable, You only owe it to yourself for providing a tiny piece of the shield that lets them think that way. If they have nothing to lose being uncritical of Massive Issues, they will Continue to be uncritical of Massive Issues, Period. Nobody should be thought to be above this kind of deflection, because for all intents and purposes, the most powerful or influential people never have to.

If you care about Kinda Funny, Please let them know responsibly how this isn't okay. And try not to get too bent out of shape when people are understandably Angry about downplaying some of the most influential people in Games being Massively Problematic.
This is an amazing post, thank you.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Greg is like the polar opposite of him. We know this.
"Polar opposite" as someone who grew up watching Greg, I can absolutely say that is bullshit. While yes, Greg wasn't as adamant about his views as Colin, he did agree with tons of dumb libertarian bullshit Colin would spew over the years.

Like always these people aren't sorry they did something wrong but rather embarrassed that people are calling them out. Greg says sorry now but two weeks from now he'll will say something equally as ignorant and give a half assed apology to forum dwellers.

Oct 27, 2017
While I understand that for a lot of you, these people don't deserve some of the scorn they are receiving in this thread, The fact is, this is Bigger then just Videogames.

You can be upset at how aggressive the rhetoric towards them is, just as much as Others can be upset about how little they care about normalizing dangerous people.

If you really are fans of their content, and fans of them as people, you owe it to yourselves and to them to Stop defending their Ambivalent behaviour, and hold them to a higher standard. People in their position set a Dangerous Precedent treating people enabling shootings like PewDiePie with kids gloves, and they should be politely and consistently held responsible until they are aware of the Responsibility they hold in their position.

Also, recognize why people get so mad they stop being polite when talking about this issue as For many people now, Especially after the things these two have said or done, this is much more then two videogame entertainers being uncritical about newsworthy individuals in their industry. Most people, Hell, ALL PEOPLE have a lot to lose letting these kinds of hateful people off the hook, and most are treating this the right way, as Unacceptable.

Please be more critical of people you enjoy watching or listening to on the internet. If you truly love and respect them as people, Be willing to Recognize when they've done wrong, and be supportive of them for trying to correct it. Playing Defense for internet celebrities isn't going to convince anybody that doesn't care about them, and it's sure as shit isn't going to help them improve and recognize their mistakes.

If they Double Down, and are unwilling to see their behaviour as unacceptable, You only owe it to yourself for providing a tiny piece of the shield that lets them think that way. If they have nothing to lose being uncritical of Massive Issues, they will Continue to be uncritical of Massive Issues, Period. Nobody should be thought to be above this kind of deflection, because for all intents and purposes, the most powerful or influential people never have to.

If you care about Kinda Funny, Please let them know responsibly how this isn't okay. And try not to get too bent out of shape when people are understandably Angry about downplaying some of the most influential people in Games being Massively Problematic.
How come you're always right? :P excellent post as always :)

Coloursheep

Oct 31, 2017
She embarrassed herself with the whole anthem/bioware defense force she went on for weeks, ignoring every valid criticism of the game and calling everyone crybabies who tried to show her how wrong she was. She does this shit all the time, she will stan for corps and "fellow youtubers" until she's blue in the face.

Thanks for the reply. Was she defending the quality of the game or was this after the report about the disaster that making the game was?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Polar opposite" as someone who grew up watching Greg, I can absolutely say that is bullshit. While yes, Greg wasn't as adamant about his views as Colin, he did agree with tons of dumb libertarian bullshit Colin would spew over the years.

Like always these people aren't sorry they did something wrong but rather embarrassed that people are calling them out. Greg says sorry now but two weeks from now he'll will say something equally as ignorant and give a half assed apology to forum dwellers.
Exactly. Greg kept backing up Colin for far to long.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This feels so disconnected from the reality that many people of colour face in Europe. Just a cursory search will reveal article after article of how PoC are treated, not just by 'old people', but by police and others who hold positions of authority.

Hell, the UN is concerned about the levels of racism in Sweden.

https://www.thelocal.se/20180511/un-concerned-about-level-of-racism-in-sweden

Not to mention this...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46369046

I could honestly post dozens of links to videos, articles, etc highlighting just how bad racism is in Europe and how it's growing among all age groups, but I won't derail the thread.

Ehm okay?

I'm sorry my personal experience doesn't match your research?

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
To be completely fair, just because you follow someone on Twitter doesn't mean you're going to see everything they tweet. Doesn't excuse her for not doing the research before the show, and I'm not sure how she wouldn't have seen what he's said elsewhere, but my point is that her following him doesn't really mean anything. She follows over a thousand people.
If it was someone like trump I could understand the idea of following them because they are important but Notch?

What exactly does following him give you other than bigoted bullshit?

Maybe she followed him years ago and just never unfollowed him but the 'follow doesn't mean endorsement' argument doesn't wash with someone like him who isn't part of the industry anymore.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
If it was someone like trump I could understand the idea of following them because they are important but Notch?

What exactly does following him give you other than bigoted bullshit?

Maybe she followed him years ago and just never unfollowed him but the 'follow doesn't mean endorsement' argument doesn't wash with someone like him who isn't part of the industry anymore.
"Notch? He used to make Minecraft! Sure, I'll follow him."

It isn't necessarily any deeper than that. Could be, but we don't know.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
If they're only there because of Minecraft content, it seems strange for them to primarily address the non-Minecraft content.
I said "used to" for a reason. It isn't that weird to follow someone because of past work that you're familiar with, even if they aren't doing said work anymore.

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
User banned (3 days): Inflammatory posting, dismissing concerns surrounding intolerant rhetoric.
I will also say, the eagerness with at which some people want to 'cancel' Greg & Andrea in this thread is genuinely off-putting to me. It's one thing to express disappointment, it's another to use this as a moment to brag about how you never liked them in the first place.

This is my problem with this situation for sure. One wrong step and ResetERA's lynch mob comes out in droves. What they said was stupid, but let the punishment fit the fucking crime.

Way too many people here think they're judge, jury and executioner and it's both pathetic and annoying.

Oct 25, 2017
Andrea is absolutely one of the worst people in the gaming industry these days. I roll my eyes into the back of my head every time I see her doing PR for games. Her antics about Anthem was embarrassing, and her staying radio silent on Twitter is no surprise.

Sums her up pretty well.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I unsubbed from KF a few days ago after not watching for a few weeks. The continual tight-rope walking of the crew around social issues was always a frustration, and every time Andrea was added into that mix it immediately became a yikes factory. These developments do not surprise me in the slightest.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is my problem with this situation for sure. One wrong step and ResetERA's lynch mob comes out in droves. What they said was stupid, but let the punishment fit the fucking crime.

Way too many people here think they're judge, jury and executioner and it's both pathetic and annoying.
What's pathetic and annoying is you and others automatically giving them a pass, they don't deserve and they certainly haven't earned it.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Such wacky stuff. In fairness, I personally continue to believe she could easily be unaware of these examples, but that does not excuse how she came off, and I think handwaving this, intentionally or not, is dangerous and warrants some anger and disappointment.
Stop saying shes ignorant. Even if we assume for her sake that shes unaware of the very rhetoric hes spewing on the platform she consciously follows him on, you don't know so much about notch that you can talk about his personal life like she has and be left unaware of his notoriety over the past 10 years. And she even says he has said "wacky" stuff online so shes aware of whats hes said. Its ridiculous the lengths people are going to to defend this. Shes not ignorant, she doesn't get that excuse and honestly neither should greg.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I said "used to" for a reason. It isn't that weird to follow someone because of past work that you're familiar with, even if they aren't doing said work anymore.
Okay, but again, the person we're talking about was saying that he posts wacky stuff and that it was taken out of context. I'd understand that maybe someone might follow him just to see if any Minecraft information comes up - but that's not what happening in this case. She's looking at the other content and not just filtering it out in searching for Minecraft stuff. Why would we look at the act of following them in a vacuum when it isn't happening in a vacuum?

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Andrea is absolutely one of the worst people in the gaming industry these days. I roll my eyes into the back of my head every time I see her doing PR for games. Her antics about Anthem was embarrassing, and her staying radio silent on Twitter is no surprise.

Sums her up pretty well.

Well tbf she's not radio silent.

She's just shillin'

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Borderlanda 3 thing interfering with KFGD today, or is it later in the day? I really hope Greg re-addresses this whole thing on the show today, because he needs to. Andrea needs to as well, but I know better than to expect her to admit that she's in the wrong.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
"Notch? He used to make Minecraft! Sure, I'll follow him."

It isn't necessarily any deeper than that. Could be, but we don't know.
I used to follow Ricky Gervais, then I noticed the amount of shit on my feed years after the fact and unfollowed.
Like at some point if you're still following notch after all this time, you like what you get.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

What punishment? People criticise them for their stances.

Besides Andrea apparently knows about all of Notchs personal life, stances, why he doesnt write autographs and attends cons, but just says his tweets are whacky.
Sure. QAnon, IQ differences, "heterosexual pride day" etc. are just whacky.

Who else but Notch?

He's Notch, Notch
You never really know what
He's gonna do next
He's Notch, Notch
Giggity-giggity-giggity-giggity, Nazis and Commies are bad!

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

Glad to see your sole contribution to this thread has been to show your ass. Why even bother if you're just here to finger wag at the people who are angry at *reads notes* dismissing and handwaving away known racists/sexists/bigots.

Oct 27, 2017

I dont think people have a problem with Greg in particular, but please understand that a lot of folks are rightfully tired and fed up with influential white people giving a pass to bigots.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, LebGuns--

I'm sorry that you walked away from this episode thinking that I didn't take a stand on this. I'd hope that my past efforts on all of these issues would speak to my stance on them, but if they haven't, let me be clear: fuck being a bigot.

In the episode, I say never say the N-word, I say that Notch seems like an asshole, and I echo the message I've said on so many shows of "be better to each other." If that wasn't clear, I missed the mark and failed at being the man I want to be. End of story.

The conversation I was trying to have Monday wasn't "Why does the internet got to be so complicated when people get successful?" in regards to people who use the n-word. Fuck that. That's simple. It was more "How is this a lesson people have to learn in 2019?"

But again, that didn't ring true to you. I'm sorry.

I hope you know how much your comments mean to me. That goes for everyone here. Please, don't hesitate to tag me in posts about my content or ask me questions online. Talking to you is what my career is based on -- it's why I used You're Wrong (the live submission section of Kinda Funny Games Daily) in this episode to get the input from viewers about the side of the story I was missing.

I don't know it all. I try not to act like I know it all, but I don't mean for that to come off as if I don't care about or shrug at bigotry.
Greg
Please read this post again, Gregg. There is a good reason people are upset here, and it's not because we're crazy SJWs who can never be appeased. The below post says everything I wanted to, so I'll re-post:

The problem is when left as basic and blunt as this is puts equal responsibility on the side of victims to be 'better' to bigots.

Talking about bigots, racists and transphobic people before pushing the "better to each other" message is simply flawed. You're taking a situation where one side is projecting abuse and intolerance at the other, standing between the two and saying "why can't we get along".

We understand you don't ask a bullied child to be nicer to their bully and hope it goes away, I'm not sure why this is more complicated when applied to adults, racists and bigots. The onus on improvement and betterment is on the abuser.

You may be trying to say 'why can't we all just get along' meaning humans as a whole but it falls flat in the face of the above and is a somewhat redundant and frankly childlike statement to make. When used directly in relation to someone using hateful and hurtful language to demean and suppress others and entire races it's entirely misplaced. "Why can't we all get along?" - ask the people that persist in ensuring we can't. Not pose the question of how we can 'be better' to victims and people who aren't bigots.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Yea....no.... I do not believe Greg is a Racist or a bigot, even if this video did suck. The issue with Greg and the rest of KF is that they only seem to care about money and growing the business. Any reaction, any change, the break with Colin, responding to this mess, the way they run their multiple kickstarters, its all focused on min/maxing their income....not on being best friends or being on the right side of being against bigotry and hate.

edit: to make clear I do not support bigotry or hate.
Well I don't blame him for wanting to make money, being a beacon of morality isn't going to pay his bills. He very much knows Notch and Pewdie Pie are scum. He says several times he's bad, he even mentions they covered it in the past.

i remember Greg treating Colin the same way he treated the Andrea bit with Notch.

Giving the person every possible opportunity to walk shit back, multiple openings to do so, and they just keep digging a deeper hole. I mean he kept saying "notch" and "transphobic" in the same sentence multiple times and she just wasn't seeing the rope he was trying to save her with.

The Pewdie Pie shit is inexcusable, I don't even follow anything about him yet I know he leans hard reich Nazi shit

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I used to follow Ricky Gervais, then I noticed the amount of shit on my feed years after the fact and unfollowed.
Like at some point if you're still following notch after all this time, you like what you get.
Its seriously absurd people are now going so far to paint the narrative that shes simply ignorant that theyre suggesting shes following him only because of minecraft, when he left the project over 10 years ago and in that time has posted nothing but vile shit, but yeah totally she has no idea about any of this. But somehow she also knows what kinds of public events he likes to do or what his personal preferences are for meeting people.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Na sorry, the above post explains why you have no weight here with these comments.

We NEED to stand up to this 100%, not 60%, not 70%... not with ambiguous messages, or appeals to "be better to each other", but with outright condemnation of bigotry.

If this alienates part of your audience, you still need to do it. There are no excuses here.

I don't think Gregg should lose his platform or anything, but he does need to understand this. If he continues with this way of dealing with it, it helps support the things h claims to be against because he's not clear enough with his message and is letting it lie a little ambiguous so he doesn't fully commit and tell part of this audience that they're absolutely wrong.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Its seriously absurd people are now going so far to paint the narrative that shes simply ignorant that theyre suggesting shes following him only because of minecraft, when he left the project over 10 years ago and in that time has posted nothing but vile shit, but yeah totally she has no idea about any of this. But somehow she also knows what kinds of public events he likes to do or what his personal preferences are for meeting people.
It's they don't know how twitter works or something and have the absolute most positive view of anything they do.
"Oh PDP didn't know about the sign, he just scribbled shit at random and it ended up advocating genocide on the sign he wanted these poor people to film themselves"

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

What the hell are you talking about? All people are doing is expressing disappointment in this thread. As far as I can tell nobody is harassing them over twitter or anything.

What more interesting to me is how any and all criticism of someone for bad behavior is exaggerated and treated like folks going are sending people death threats and the like by certain posters.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The fact you'd equivocate anything in this thread to lynching says so much about you and it's all bad.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Based off the OP alone

Greg's comment come off typical American moderate. Is 100% unaffected, probably has people really close to him affected, knows it bad but doesn't full grasp how bad. Like people die bad.

Andrea: Seems like the type to go 'people calling them racist are the real racist'.

Mistake are my phone autocorrect giving me 'holy shot'. Get real calling what PDP or Notch say/do mistakes.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, but again, the person we're talking about was saying that he posts wacky stuff and that it was taken out of context. I'd understand that maybe someone might follow him just to see if any Minecraft information comes up - but that's not what happening in this case. She's looking at the other content and not just filtering it out in searching for Minecraft stuff. Why would we look at the act of following them in a vacuum when it isn't happening in a vacuum?
That's fair. If she knows as much about his words as she acts like she does, and just passes them off as whacky, then that's a big problem.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But people i likes on the nets can't be baaaaad! Because then i'm baaaaad!

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Borderlanda 3 thing interfering with KFGD today, or is it later in the day? I really hope Greg re-addresses this whole thing on the show today, because he needs to. Andrea needs to as well, but I know better than to expect her to admit that she's in the wrong.

You know they are not going to say anything about it. They are there as hired staff for Gearbox, they are not going to go off script.

I'm personally skipping the pre- and post-show sections. These people deserve nothing.

Give me a break.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017

It's not like KF is entitled to viewers.

Resetera is allowed, as a largely mildly center-left community, to discuss as a community whether or not the hosts of a piece of media they consume are no longer matching the things they are looking for. If that means the community deciding that "hey, maybe these people are questionable" it's their right to discuss it and discuss no longer consuming those pieces of media.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Stop saying shes ignorant. Even if we assume for her sake that shes unaware of the very rhetoric hes spewing on the platform she consciously follows him on, you don't know so much about notch that you can talk about his personal life like she has and be left unaware of his notoriety over the past 10 years. And she even says he has said "wacky" stuff online so shes aware of whats hes said. Its ridiculous the lengths people are going to to defend this. Shes not ignorant, she doesn't get that excuse and honestly neither should greg.

I don't think your arguments to say it's impossible are very strong. I do still think she could easily be ignorant of the worst things notch has said, but I don't think it's an excuse. If she wasn't ignorant or doubles down though, it's pretty unforgivable to downplay that stuff. I mean, look at the example tweets posted above.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After reading that response from Trending Gamer Of The Year 2015 Greg Miller, for me it firmly put him in Boogie2988 territory. Hope he comes to the realization of why his response was bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.