• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Because nobody said this until there were proud of Black heritage movements. "It's ok to be white." has nothing to do with being proud. It's purely in response to black pride movements.

Let's also not forget that being white says absolutely nothing about your origins or even your ancestry. You can be proud to be Irish, German, Russian, etc and that wouldn't be inherently racists whatsoever, but instead, they choose to use the term proud to be white.

People often forget Black Pride exists because most African Americans quite literally do not know where they are from because you know...SLAVERY.

White pride exists from a completely different and much more insidious anxiety.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been able to watch KFGD in a few weeks due to work, but now I'm thinking that was a blessing in disguise. I would have been appalled listening to this episode. Really disappointed in Greg and Andrea right now. Especially Andrea.

Last edited:

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
Greg wonders if that means PDP does use it. Andrea said some people were adding context on why PDP used it was that because he was Swedish and doesn't understand the connotation of that word; She added she had heard from a lot of Europeans that they use that word

Hahahaha, as an european citizen, this is the dumbest shit I´ve heard in years. Nobody uses that word here, nobody except extremely far-right people and outright nazis use that language here. Everyone knows the god damn connotation and meaning.
Stop getting your world view and context from anonymous sources (aka trolls or worse) in your chat room ffs. Pathetic.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The idea that europeans wouldnt understand racism is laughable. Europe is so racist you can be the wrong type of white.

Also Sweden has a literal chocolate snack called "n-word balls", so they are very aware of the word and its meaning.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is now a good time to mention that Greg Miller always seemed like a spineless corporate-shill to me that never takes a stance on anything that's done against consumers but typically defends, or gives the benefit of the doubt, to any publisher or corporation that is doing shady shit?

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, LebGuns--

I'm sorry that you walked away from this episode thinking that I didn't take a stand on this. I'd hope that my past efforts on all of these issues would speak to my stance on them, but if they haven't, let me be clear: fuck being a bigot.

In the episode, I say never say the N-word, I say that Notch seems like an asshole, and I echo the message I've said on so many shows of "be better to each other." If that wasn't clear, I missed the mark and failed at being the man I want to be. End of story.

The conversation I was trying to have Monday wasn't "Why does the internet got to be so complicated when people get successful?" in regards to people who use the n-word. Fuck that. That's simple. It was more "How is this a lesson people have to learn in 2019?"

But again, that didn't ring true to you. I'm sorry.

I hope you know how much your comments mean to me. That goes for everyone here. Please, don't hesitate to tag me in posts about my content or ask me questions online. Talking to you is what my career is based on -- it's why I used You're Wrong (the live submission section of Kinda Funny Games Daily) in this episode to get the input from viewers about the side of the story I was missing.

I don't know it all. I try not to act like I know it all, but I don't mean for that to come off as if I don't care about or shrug at bigotry.
Greg

I watched he episode and felt really disappointed. Which is kinda strange right, I mean, you don't know me but I've been watching your content and been a subscriber from back when you were on IGN. I think I expected a more unequivocal stance from you when it comes to the hatred these guys spew.

No ifs ands or buts.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
What kind of stupefying pop culture bubble do these fucking morons live in? What a miserable myopic existence.

Greg Miller has stronger feelings about the MCU than he does about white supremacy.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The irony is that this thread is 90% people having a go and some podcasters who are essentially well meaning but failed to caveat everything with "BUT THESE PEOPLE ARE ASSHOLES HASHTAG CANCELLED".

It's s classic "internet angry person" play. The whole "fuck these people for not condemning things I don't like" nonsense of those who can't bear to acknowledge people think differently from them when it states them in the face.

Found the PragerU graduate LOL

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I watched he episode and felt really disappointed. Which is kinda strange right, I mean, you don't know me but I've been watching your content and been a subscriber from back when you were on IGN. I think I expected a more unequivocal stance from you when it comes to the hatred these guys spew.

No ifs ands or buts.

lol.

Hey Greg - where's Andrea's press release on this matter? She seems to be aggressive in making excuses for the bloated hateful hermit and the YouTube idiot boy.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
OK, I get some spineless youtuber hesitating or downright refusing to say something naughty naughty about the piece of shit that is Kjellberg. It's good for business to stay on the good side of pieces of shit with large followings, wouldn't want the brainless legion to *gasp* unsubscribe from your channel or something terrible like that. Fuck morals, acquire currency amirite? (I'm not rite.)

But standing out for Persson? Does he even have a following that could turn on you? Dude's gotta be more obsolete than floppy disks. How spineless do you have to be?

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
every day some poor person learns about their fav youtuber being not so great huh

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed. It was a mistake putting trust in you guys after colin shitbag left. I really thought you guys turned a great leaf but this just makes me feel like an idiot. I'm kinda done with kinda funny now. :(

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, LebGuns--

I'm sorry that you walked away from this episode thinking that I didn't take a stand on this. I'd hope that my past efforts on all of these issues would speak to my stance on them, but if they haven't, let me be clear: fuck being a bigot.

In the episode, I say never say the N-word, I say that Notch seems like an asshole, and I echo the message I've said on so many shows of "be better to each other." If that wasn't clear, I missed the mark and failed at being the man I want to be. End of story.

The conversation I was trying to have Monday wasn't "Why does the internet got to be so complicated when people get successful?" in regards to people who use the n-word. Fuck that. That's simple. It was more "How is this a lesson people have to learn in 2019?"

I hope you know how much your comments mean to me. That goes for everyone here. Please, don't hesitate to tag me in posts about my content or ask me questions online. Talking to you is what my career is based on -- it's why I used You're Wrong (the live submission section of Kinda Funny Games Daily) in this episode to get the input from viewers about the side of the story I was missing.

I don't know it all. I try not to act like I know it all, but I don't mean for that to come off as if I don't care about or shrug at bigotry.
Greg
If you don't know enough about it don't make a topic out of it on your podcast

And if you have to talk about it, then educate yourself first

It ain't that hard, is it

Also, take sides, there's nothing more admirable in this day and age than public figures using their influence to take stand against bad shit. Do it

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad the majority of this thread doesn't have the platform Andrea and Greg have as the takes in here are hot to a degree far beyond uninformed. I hope they will do a follow up with the feedback they've gotten, but they are personalities and not journalists and the expectation that they can't read a gaming news story without being prepared to tackle related political issues beyond their understanding is unreasonable.
You. Don't. Have. To. Be. A. Journalist. To. Condemn. Bigotry. And. Hate.
That's not even journalists' job.

Failing to do that, insisting on the notion of "out of context", and also refusing to address any context is tantamount to acceptance or agreement to that hate. Fuck that.

Jul 17, 2018
Congrats to Gearbox for choosing both of these clowns to host the Borderlands 3 event. I love my PR delivered by people who defend white supremacists.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
Stop saying Europeans don't understand how bad a word is. That's fucking insulting. These two appear to be idiots at best.

The idea that europeans wouldnt understand racism is laughable. Europe is so racist you can be the wrong type of white.

Also Sweden has a literal chocolate snack called "n-word balls", so they are very aware of the word and its meaning.

Had. There's been an enormous push to normalise chocolate balls instead. Only snowflake racists get upset by this though.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
gameovergreggy if you're willing to play the "both sides" angle here, I'm frankly not sure why you and Colin parted ways, seems like you two would be fit for business.

Like is the money that bad that you need to compromise with people who are white supremacists? Or are you trying to not "burn bridges", which is a funny way of saying you don't give a shit what they think, long as you can stay in business.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Being uninformed or ignorant about something this blatant is not an excuse in an age where you have instant access to any piece of information you could possibly want sitting in your pocket. Especially not when it's dealing with an industry you are supposed to cover.

Yeah, this is the most disappointing part. How do you not inform yourself on something like this and then just hand wave a lot of the key issues?
In comparison the GB guys always tend to take a stand on key issues like this without trying to tip toe around it.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Im pretty sure the "Europeans don't understand racism" comes from the same propaganda machine that says "Europe is being overrun by immigrants."

It's a narrative (I guess from USA) of creating an innocent European land, which some Americans have a historical connection with, that is being attacked and criticised by the liberal elite who don't understand the real issues.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I don't think Greg comes out of this looking bad (after watching the discussion instead of just reading the summary), but Andrea does seem bit "wishy washy". Especially as she says herself "companies are afraid to take a stance and rock the boat to upset the business". But that's exactly how it felt to me she handled it. Now of course I understand that her being an invidual instead of corporation "rocking the boat" and getting the likes of alt-right harassing her, is definitely a scary thought and the kind of attention nobody wants to "invite" on themselves. But taking that kind of stance is really important for public figures that she is, she also has a platform. Microsoft did take a stance, not sure why she is so adamantly bringing up "Notch doesn't want to be there" or "they did it to look good". It's very simple thing, how can she be so lost on it.

Last edited:

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Yup. They're both spineless, amoral cowards, but Andrea is really adamant to prove how ignorant she is. Just shocking.

Also pewdiepie LIVES on the internet, so anyone who pulls the "he's European, he doesn't know better" is 100% full of A-grade bull shit. Also he lives in England.
Im Swedish and I can confirm its not ok to use racist slurs, our population has a great number of immigrants and people of all colors. (nearly 25% of our population is born abroad).

Its in the EU countries where they have no immigration and where mostly everyone is white that you will find it to be "accepted" with that kind if language.

Andrea is being really careless and uneducated to defend PDP.

I dont think Greg has said anything bad though.

Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey, LebGuns--

Greg

Will Andrea host/guest the show again in the future? Will you give her this platform?

paddyk84

Banned
Jan 31, 2019
You won't find a more just, caring level headed person than Greg Miller. The abuse he's getting is ridiculous but sadly predictable from the ResetEra bubble.

How do you not come down hard on people that say "it's ok to be white"

I don't understand what is bad about this statement, maybe someone can enlighten me? Are you saying it's not ok to be white? That certainly seems like the attitude here whenever a white video game protagonist is revealed.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I've listened to ever KFGD episode since it began and was really disappointed and bewildered by this segment. I'm not out to character assassinate anyone here and I do genuinely like both Greg and Andrea, but they (especially Andrea) totally missed the mark on this story. As many have been saying, there's nothing to be gained by not taking an unequivocal stance against people who spew racist, vile, and homo/transphobic bullshit. Do I think this segment was a way for Greg/Andrea to slyly expose their secret love of Notch/PewDiePie? No, of course not. But I think it showed a total misread of the situation and a missed opportunity to condemn these people in the strongest terms.

Still a KF fan and I'll still listen to the show, but I hope Greg can acknowledge the criticism and be more mindful of this going forward. Don't tip toe around this bullshit, there's nothing in it.

Sep 12, 2018
I don't understand what is bad about this statement, maybe someone can enlighten me?
Here you go:

Because it's a reactionary kneejerk against discussions of racism and entertains the notion that white people are somehow under attack in society.
Depends on context but your saying its ok to be white in reference to racist remarks said by someone, that makes you suspect.

Edit: Should also point out that saying "its ok to be white" is a tactic used by nazis and white supremsists for decades now so when someone says that people who know the historical context of using a phrase like that immediately question your intention.
It's a white supremacist slogan picked specifically because it sounds benign on its face, and thus makes the people that condemn seem hyperbolic to the ignorant bystander.
Because nobody said this until there were proud of Black heritage movements. "It's ok to be white." has nothing to do with being proud. It's purely in response to black pride movements.

Let's also not forget that being white says absolutely nothing about your origins or even your ancestry. You can be proud to be Irish, German, Russian, etc and that wouldn't be inherently racists whatsoever, but instead, they choose to use the term proud to be white.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You won't find a more just, caring level headed person than Greg Miller. The abuse he's getting is ridiculous but sadly predictable from the ResetEra bubble.

I don't understand what is bad about this statement, maybe someone can enlighten me?
Nothing wrong with this statement in isolation. It's usually what comes afterwards that's really bad.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Is it level headed to discuss a serious issue involving bigotry on your games podcast without doing any research and handwaving away concerns people have with the subject at hand or the history of the people being discussed?

Is it level headed to then come out with some both sides bullshit of labeling legitimate opposition to bigotry and right wing extremists as 'sjws vs bad guys'?

paddyk84

Banned
Jan 31, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory false equivalencies surrounding race, defending rhetoric associated with hate movements, account still in junior phase
"entertains the notion that white people are somehow under attack in society."

You don't believe they are? Look at any thread on here whenever a white male is revealed as a game protagonist.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

I don't understand what is bad about this statement, maybe someone can enlighten me? Are you saying it's not ok to be white? That certainly seems like the attitude here whenever a white video game protagonist is revealed.
There are posts in this thread if you would care to educate yourself

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
I've never watched anything Kinda Funny related prior to this -- is the quality of the conversation always along these lines because if so, I can absolutely see how this train wreck happened.

I made it about 15 minutes in...can't speak for the entirety of the show but it appears Andrea seriously derails and instead of nipping it in the bud, Greg runs with it. Bad call, bad look. I've no desire to check out any of their content based on this, and honestly, this is just pretty shit. Are you people still watching that desperate for content?

Status
Not open for further replies.