• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought Greg's lack of interest in politics was just him being a business man and trying not to alienate any of his audience but no apparently he is just a vacuous pop culture shill.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
gameovergreggy

I'm glad you took some time to respond to this. As a big fan of Gamescoop and Beyond podcasts way back, I was saddened to see you and Andrea present such an ill informed take on Notch. All other criticisms aside, what is your response to those of us that would like to see an awareness of the context surrounding these topics when they are discussed on your show? Are you willing to actually do the research on a topic before it is discussed on your show? I don't think you are a bigot, but bigots thrive on the ignorance of the general populace. If you're going to cover hot topics, is it too much to ask that you do enough research to adequately form a nuanced opinion on a controversial topic? Since you launched KFG, I'm not sure if you'd still consider yourself a journalist. But if you do, then perhaps it's worth taking the time to familiarize yourself with the context before doing your audience a disservice. I don't think that's too much to ask, because if you don't know about something, you can always just say "I'll look into it, maybe that's a good topic for the next show". Instead of these hot takes that fall for talking points that bigots use from the streets to the Oval Office, maybe try to do some due diligence so that you don't have to after the fact. Just a suggestion.

Jul 17, 2018
Hey, LebGuns--

I'm sorry that you walked away from this episode thinking that I didn't take a stand on this. I'd hope that my past efforts on all of these issues would speak to my stance on them, but if they haven't, let me be clear: fuck being a bigot.

In the episode, I say never say the N-word, I say that Notch seems like an asshole, and I echo the message I've said on so many shows of "be better to each other." If that wasn't clear, I missed the mark and failed at being the man I want to be. End of story.

The conversation I was trying to have Monday wasn't "Why does the internet got to be so complicated when people get successful?" in regards to people who use the n-word. Fuck that. That's simple. It was more "How is this a lesson people have to learn in 2019?"

But again, that didn't ring true to you. I'm sorry.

I hope you know how much your comments mean to me. That goes for everyone here. Please, don't hesitate to tag me in posts about my content or ask me questions online. Talking to you is what my career is based on -- it's why I used You're Wrong (the live submission section of Kinda Funny Games Daily) in this episode to get the input from viewers about the side of the story I was missing.

I don't know it all. I try not to act like I know it all, but I don't mean for that to come off as if I don't care about or shrug at bigotry.
Greg

Hey, greggy. Don't be a coward, don't say 'fuck bigotry' without condemning bigots by their names.

And don't try that stupid 'why can't we just get along' shtick by playing a moderator in a discussion you are (by your own admission) ignorant about. Not to mention your co-host, who is perfectly happy to defend racists.

PR people holding a discussion on racism, what a joke.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Antagonizing other members, history of excusing prejudice and abuse, previous severe infractions
Read the whole quote

It's saying that the internet is all about "picking sides" creating drama in every turn.

It's saying that people choose "good" or "bad" as black and white terms. And the implication is that those on the "good" side are just as bad because they're just creating fights and drama.

Instead of, you know, fighting bigotry.

It's s classic "centrist" play. The whole "well these people can fight but I'm above this" nonsense of those who can't bear to acknowledge bigotry and hatred when it states them in the face.

The irony is that this thread is 90% people having a go and some podcasters who are essentially well meaning but failed to caveat everything with "BUT THESE PEOPLE ARE ASSHOLES HASHTAG CANCELLED".

It's s classic "internet angry person" play. The whole "fuck these people for not condemning things I don't like" nonsense of those who can't bear to acknowledge people think differently from them when it states them in the face.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The irony is that this thread is 90% people having a go and some podcasters who are essentially well meaning but failed to caveat everything with "BUT THESE PEOPLE ARE ASSHOLES HASHTAG CANCELLED".

It's s classic "internet angry person" play. The whole "fuck these people for not condemning things I don't like" nonsense of those who can't bear to acknowledge people think differently from them when it states them in the face.

"Fuck these people for not condemning things i dont like".

So...your saying not properly condeming racism and bigotry and enabling white supremacists who have committed acts of genocide in their name are now personal opinions we must respect?

Saying that people criticizing Notch and Pewdiepie for enabling(or outright parroting in Notch's case) white supremacist language and actions are just apart of an outrage mob?

My guy.....sincerely.....fuck off.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Racism, homophobia and transphobia are a little more than 'things I don't like', they're things for which active repellent is beneficial. The 'both sides be better' line is flawed, shallow and misplaced when used after discussing bigotry, even if well intentioned.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It's more than "things I don't like"

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017

I'm sorry, could you please look at Notch history on Twitter etc and tell me how far right rhetoric falls under "things I don't like" instead of rampant bigotry?

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017

So "things I don't like"= racism, bigotry, and transphobia now? That is a seriously fucked up statement to make.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg

People die due to transphobia, homophobia, racism, ect. It isn't just unpalatable, it's inhumane and harmful to society. If you don't care enough to speak up, you should care more.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia

You are pretty much stating being a racist, a transophobic, a bigot and promoting white supremacy to the point of people carrying massacres of innocents in their name is just a valid way of thinking.

Go fuck yourself.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Advice to all these internet people, don't comment on things that you do not completely understand or have all the facts on.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Fuck these people for not condemning things i dont like".

So...your saying not properly condeming racism and bigotry and enabling white supremacists who have committed acts of genocide in their name are now personal opinions we must respect?

Saying that people criticizing Notch and Pewdiepie for enabling(or outright parroting in Notch's case) white supremacist language and actions are just apart of an outrage mob?

My guy.....sincerely.....fuck off.
Racism, homophobia and transphobia are a little more than 'things I don't like', they're things for which active repellent is beneficial. The 'both sides be better' line is flawed, shallow and misplaced when used after discussing bigotry, even if well intentioned.
It's more than "things I don't like"
I'm sorry, could you please look at Notch history on Twitter etc and tell me how far right rhetoric falls under "things I don't like" instead of rampant bigotry?
So "things I don't like"= racism, bigotry, and transphobia now? That is a seriously fucked up statement to make.

Listen - we, right thinking people are obviously against racism and bigotry, ok? But it's a personal choice the extent each of us are involved in the politics of engaging with it, there's a spectrum of how it's approached. For some people, it's an everyday crusade, and that's fine. Other people choose not to engage in it actively like Greg and Andrea in this example. But it's not like they're racist bigots is it? They're just guilty in this instance of not engaging with it as strongly as you'd like them to, and that's up to them.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
"European Black man"

What is that like? I'm from the US. I couldn't imagine living somewhere like that. Do they really think there is no racism over there (i.e. do they ignore and downplay it) like certain parts of the internet suggest? Are there black communities? Have you been to the States? If yes: Do you see a difference in the way people treat you?
Please ignore this question if you aren't comfortable with it. I'm just curious.

Racism has never completely died in Europe, its just that the huge majority of people knew exactly what it lead to the last time it went overboard, and no one wants his neighborhood to be a Battlefield again.
The ones using variations of the n-word are mostly old people but even among them, most are aware of the negative connotation it has (based on last week where I spent the entire week being hospitalized).
In the meantime however racism has been on the rise again, and it became painfully obvious after the 2016 US presidential election. The election of Trump gave far-right wingers as well as racist enough ammo to be a little more loose, to actually say what they mean. With all that said, it's still not like there's two groups of people living in the same country, there's still a sense of community.

There are Black communities all over Europe, but the biggest Hotspot for Black communities is definitely France. I myself have family over in France, and from my visits I would say it's not far fetched to say that , based on skin color, black people are the second largest group in France. That's without lokking it up tho.

As for seeing a difference in how people treat me: Generally no. I do say of myself that I'm a nice guy who is respectful towards others, so this might play a role in as why I am able to get along with so many people, but I would be lying if I said that there aren't a couple of small things I occasionally notice that rub me the wrong way. It's small stuff like suggesting mostly black woman for me as dating options based on nothing but skin color, or asking me about weird things other African people did because "it might be a thing in Africa".

But that's really just miniscule stuff.

As for the question if I ever went to the states, no I did not. And to be completely honest: I'm scared to do so. Alone at least.
I know it sounds silly, but all the police brutality stuff makes me scared. I know that the possibility of me running into a racist cop is low, especially on a vacation, but it's the fact that it's not impossible, the fact that the absolute worst possible outcome of looking at a policeman is my own death, makes me hella scared. I'm more than ready to visit Asian countries, who aren't huge on black people as well, but at least in this case I don't feel like asking the police for help is playing Russian roulette. I'm trying to get rid of that irrational fear, but it's gonna take a while.

I hope my answers were satisfying for you. You can always ask me if you want to know anything else :)

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Advice to all these internet people, don't comment on things that you do not completely understand or have all the facts on.
It's not a huge deal to comment on them, just be prepared to be wrong, to modify your views, and to state publicly your wrongness. I've learned a lot by saying wrong things online.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You are pretty much stating being a racist, a transophobic, a bigot and promoting white supremacy to the point of people carrying massacres of innocents in their name is just a valid way of thinking.

Go fuck yourself.

I'm not saying it's valid, but it is a way of thinking. I don't agree with it at all, but you can't deny a significant number of people in the world think like that.

Why do these conversations have to end up in "go fuck yourself" so quickly?

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Listen - we, right thinking people are obviously against racism and bigotry, ok? But it's a personal choice the extent each of us are involved in the politics of engaging with it, there's a spectrum of how it's approached. For some people, it's an everyday crusade, and that's fine. Other people choose not to engage in it actively like Greg and Andrea in this example. But it's not like they're racist bigots is it? They're just guilty in this instance of not engaging with it as strongly as you'd like them to, and that's up to them.
It is up to them but that makes them a spineless coward. My question for you would be why do you want to defend a spineless coward? They are just as likely to turn their back on you when its convenient for them to do so.

Edit: well that was quick.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's not a huge deal to comment on them, just be prepared to be wrong, to modify your views, and to state publicly your wrongness. I've learned a lot by saying wrong things online.

Actually, great point. it is a way to grow as a person. I think this is completely valid. I think your true colours show eventually if you are a POS but man, I'm shocked at what I've seen and read today. :(

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
"its a way of thinking a lot of people have so we should not criticize it". I mean...no, that's what you do. That's exactly what you do. Even if you support free speech, you are free to critisize speech and language that is reprehensible. Right wingers get off on saying that free speech equals they should not be criticized in any measure.

Oct 30, 2017
How is there anything wrong with saying "it's ok to be white"? That seems ridiculous to me
On a separate note, I find Greg Miller incredibly annoying

Oct 27, 2017
KF subscriber describes the N word incident "on stream when someone kills him on stream by accident". Greg wonders if that means PDP does use it. Andrea said some people were adding context on why PDP used it was that because he was Swedish and doesn't understand the connotation of that word
Same old excuse. You don't have to be American or understand "American politics" to know that SJW and the n word have a negative and hateful connotation.

Is it just so difficult for people to not spread hate with words or actions? Is it so difficult behaving like a decent human being?

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
On yesterday's episode of KindaFunny Games Daily, Greg Miller and Andrea Rene discuss the "Minecraft Drama", which is centered on Microsoft announcing that they were not inviting Notch to the 10 year Minecraft anniversary because of his comments and opinions. They also discussed PewDiePie shutting down his subscription campaign. What proceeded from this conversation is thorough handwaving, downplaying, and giving benefit of the doubt to two of the most well-known racists, transphobes and anti-Semites in the gaming industry:
  • Greg points out that Notch has ostracized himself with his twitter comments that included transphobic statements, heterosexual pride day, and "It's ok to be white".
  • Andrea suggests that Notch is willfully choosing not to partake; he doesn't want to be there because he doesn't do public events, not because MS axed him due to his comments. Greg points out that indeed in the press statement, MS announced they cut him and re--reads the statement. Andrea tells Greg that it's not a fair extrapolation to make from that statement. Andrea adds that to her it would be disappointing on MS part if Notch expressed interest in wanting to be involved and MS said no thanks. She adds that MS saying "his comments and opinions do not reflect those of MS" is a disclaimer made for everyone that speaks on behalf of MS, unless they are part of the MS team.
  • Andrea refers to the transphobic and racist things notch mentions on twitter as "wacky", and it's really Notch putting a line in the sand saying he doesn't want to be involved in Minecraft, and it's just MS making themselves look good by saying "yeah, we don't want to be involved with him anymore" and that it's all drama.
  • Greg said he googled "why do people hate notch" and got the top bullet in this OP, and went "what, I don't understand enough, can you give me more". Andrea said Notch's tweets were taken completely out of context and we don't need to analyze his tweets right now.
On the topic of PewDiePie:
  • Greg also mentions that some of the things has done like PDP paying 2 men to hold up a sign that said "death to all jews" and using the N word on a stream is beyond his comprehension, but PDP did apologize. This was followed up with "Why does the internet got to be so complicated when people get successful?" Andrea responds "Because everyone wants to be part of the zeitgeist", and added she's glad PDP apologized. She then removes blame from PDP for all the racist, hateful and anti-Semitic antics he encourages and places it on his community of followers and a few degenerates.
  • Greg says because he doesn't know notch or PDP personally, he doesn't know what their real motivations are, but says that PDP should have closed the subscribe movement since his name is associated with it. And he's glad he was silent on the shooting so he didn't make the shooting about himself, absolving him of any blame.
  • Andrea says PDP gets crucified for his mistakes, his missteps, and an internet lynch mob forgetting we are all humans and make mistakes and that PDP has been a target. She said he does a lot of great work like raising money for charity and a lot of good things.
  • Greg said he's leading with these two stories but he doesn't know everything about the stories and histories but not that hes trying to be ignorant but because it doesn't pertain to his normal every day life, but wants to have a convo about wtf is going on, and why this would happen, and he thinks it differences how we were all raised, not in parenting but how they come up in their careers
  • Andrea said she wants to support PDP because he's the heart of youtube and where youtube came from. "corporations for the win I guess" (in reference to T-Series getting more subscribers than him)
  • KF subscriber describes the N word incident "on stream when someone kills him on stream by accident". Greg wonders if that means PDP does use it. Andrea said some people were adding context on why PDP used it was that because he was Swedish and doesn't understand the connotation of that word; She added she had heard from a lot of Europeans that they use that word - both her and greg shout "that's bad, that's not cool that's not cool, you should stop that!". She said PDP apologized for it, and he's not gonna do it again so its ok now.
More in the video below.

As a person of color, and a very vulnerable minority (Arab American), I cannot support anyone that stands idly by and downplay the hatred Notch and PewDiePie seed into the gaming media. How do you not come down hard on people that say "it's ok to be white" or make transphobic comments or pay 2 people to hold a sign that says death to all Jews? How? I don't understand the train of thinking. I can no longer support Kindafunny. It's utterly saddening to see Greg Miller not take a stand on this.

Have you been in touch with them to express your thoughts and if so how did they respond?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
How is there anything wrong with saying "it's ok to be white"? That seems ridiculous to me

I don't mean to insult you...but are you unaware of the fact that white people convincing themselves of victim status through minorities asking for equal rights is an extremely prevalent aspect of the white supremacist movement at this particular point in time?

Or do you not know about the concern over white birthrates and white genocide(which i'm not sure how you could not know) just by implication of non whites breeding at a different rate?

Have you been in touch with them to express your thoughts and if so how did they respond?

Greg has been in this thread and he's essentially handwaved the whole thing and did not address the concerns raised

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
This is actually a good thing.
Now we know who to stay clear of. It would be worse if people supported them not knowing they're horrible people. Now they've revealed their true colors.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017

Depends on context but your saying its ok to be white in reference to racist remarks said by someone, that makes you suspect.

Edit: Should also point out that saying "its ok to be white" is a tactic used by nazis and white supremsists for decades now so when someone says that people who know the historical context of using a phrase like that immediately question your intention.

Oct 30, 2017
I don't mean to insult you...but are you unaware of the fact that white people convincing themselves of victim status through minorities asking for equal rights is an extremely prevalent aspect of the white supremacist movement at this particular point in time?

You haven't insulted me. I guess I'd have to listen to the context in this case, but saying its okay to be whatever color is innocuous on its own and I'd have to agree with whoever said it

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
You haven't insulted me. I guess I'd have to listen to the context in this case, but saying its okay to be whatever color is innocuous on its own and I'd have to agree with whoever said it

nope. that's not what was said. no random person said 'it's okay to be whatever color.' a white supremacist said 'it's ok to be white' as though whites are victims in today's society.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Trending Gamer Award isn't cursed, it's just that most of these trendsetters and influencers are the worst the internet has to offer and flip flop from one opinion to the next - as long as it gets there name out there and increases their views or subs.

If Geoff continues to honour these folks then The Game Awards have just lost one viewer as he is as bad as them by enabling them.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

I dont know from what nation you hail from, but not all races are seen as equal.

In far right circles, white people generally even see raising the historical crimes done against minority populations as shaming whites. And so it becomes a circumstance where denying the historical and modern priviledge of whites and the oppression of minority populations becomes a key aspect of white supremacy.

"I dont have to apologize for being white", and "i dont have to take responsibility or even acknowledge how history influences the modern era through the oppression of minorities" have become synonymous.

If you want to read up on the rest of Notch's comment history, its a doozy. You'll quickly find that the statement is not as innocuous as you think.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey, LebGuns--

I'm sorry that you walked away from this episode thinking that I didn't take a stand on this. I'd hope that my past efforts on all of these issues would speak to my stance on them, but if they haven't, let me be clear: fuck being a bigot.

In the episode, I say never say the N-word, I say that Notch seems like an asshole, and I echo the message I've said on so many shows of "be better to each other." If that wasn't clear, I missed the mark and failed at being the man I want to be. End of story.

The conversation I was trying to have Monday wasn't "Why does the internet got to be so complicated when people get successful?" in regards to people who use the n-word. Fuck that. That's simple. It was more "How is this a lesson people have to learn in 2019?"

But again, that didn't ring true to you. I'm sorry.

I hope you know how much your comments mean to me. That goes for everyone here. Please, don't hesitate to tag me in posts about my content or ask me questions online. Talking to you is what my career is based on -- it's why I used You're Wrong (the live submission section of Kinda Funny Games Daily) in this episode to get the input from viewers about the side of the story I was missing.

I don't know it all. I try not to act like I know it all, but I don't mean for that to come off as if I don't care about or shrug at bigotry.
Greg
Say literally anything about your co-host.

This was my first introduction to the two of you and I'm struggling to understand how you can come here with an explanation that doesn't address her behavior. Your own was still not as you described it, but it's amazing to me that you felt it appropriate to not even acknowledge what she said.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
If you want to be an unconstructive influencer focused on positivity and selling products, that's totally cool. But then you better stay way from topics such as these. There is no room for fence-sitting. Either prepare and educate yourself on the topic before you speak and formulate a well-researched opinion, or stay away.

Deciding to talk about it because it's the hip topic of the week without properly educating oneself and approaching it the same way you would the new Sonic The Hedgehog movie trailer is just not a good look.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017

It's a white supremacist slogan picked specifically because it sounds benign on its face, and thus makes the people that condemn seem hyperbolic to the ignorant bystander.

Nauren

Oct 30, 2017

Because nobody said this until there were proud of Black heritage movements. "It's ok to be white." has nothing to do with being proud. It's purely in response to black pride movements.

Let's also not forget that being white says absolutely nothing about your origins or even your ancestry. You can be proud to be Irish, German, Russian, etc and that wouldn't be inherently racists whatsoever, but instead, they choose to use the term proud to be white.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Stripped of all context there is nothing wrong with that statement. However, a surface level knowledge of Notch and his personal views along with any knowledge of the phrase and how it has been used to antagonise by racists is extremely telling. The phrase may be inoffensive on it's own but the use of it is far from innocuous.

The slogan has been spread by Fox News host Tucker Carlson, and racist groups including neo-Nazis and white supremacists
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_OK_to_be_white

This is ultimately the main issue with Greg and Andrea not being informed and/or willing to take a stand on the matter. They have a platform to inform and educate their audience, instead of saying "be nice to each other" with all the nuance of a TV show for babies they can use their status to condemn and call out the harmful attitudes of these people, explaining why it is wrong and how we can be better people. By reporting on these issues without the knowledge to take any critical stand on it only serves to legitimise the viewpoints and the people behind them.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Notch was a 4chan guy and built the popularity of Minecraft through the community on /v/. That will always be apart of him and disqualifies him from taking part of polite society where greedy sanitised corporations try to extract the most funds from the middle brow masses through safe family friendly brands. You roll with the pigs, you get mud on you and it never washes off.

Oct 30, 2017
Stripped of all context there is nothing wrong with that statement. However, a surface level knowledge of Notch and his personal views along with any knowledge of the phrase and how it has been used to antagonise by racists is extremely telling. The phrase may be inoffensive on it's own but the use of it is far from innocuous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_OK_to_be_white

This is ultimately the main issue with Greg and Andrea not being informed and/or willing to take a stand on the matter. They have a platform to inform and educate their audience, instead of saying "be nice to each other" with all the nuance of a TV show for babies they can use their status to condemn and call out the harmful attitudes of these people, explaining why it is wrong and how we can be better people. By reporting on these issues without the knowledge to take any critical stand on it only serves to legitimise the viewpoints and the people behind them.

I see. I wasn't sure who said it, I thought it was Greg Miller we were talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.