• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Stinks, but I appreciate Aaron being upfront about this. Xbox has been fairly good about setting proper expectations and everything.

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah early suggestions were a blog post or interview after the bethesda deal closes, that blew up into a march E3 conference over the last week.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
This makes sense and would be consistent with reasonable speculation that the Bethesda event will be a roundtable discussion similar to what they had when the acquisition was initially announced.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like companies are getting better at leveling expectations for these things ahead of time, especially when you have a lot of people who tend to let their imaginations run wild and then get angry when those expectations aren't met.

Possible Bandai Namco Event

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think it's more likely Bandai Namco holds their own event soon.

They filed a trademark for "Bandai Namco Next" not so long ago, which sounds like an event name to me: https://www3.wipo.int/branddb/en/showData.jsp?ID=EMTM.018365084

They also trademarked this, not sure if related, but just throwing it in here because it looks it could be a new logo or something: https://www3.wipo.int/branddb/en/showData.jsp?ID=EMTM.018355881

uwIChQC.jpg

They have a lot they haven't shown (Elden Ring, Digimon Survive, Tales of Arise, that one Digimon game they've been working on for 84 years, etc.) and recently acquired Reflector Entertainment, a minority stake in Limbic to develop two new IPs, etc. Also a possible new Sword Art Online game was trademarked recently (Variant Showdown).

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
It's weird that he considers Elden Ring a "game announcement or World Premiere", considering it was a "world premiere" at their E3 conference 2 years ago

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feels like companies are getting better at leveling expectations for these things ahead of time, especially when you have a lot of people who tend to let their imaginations run wild and then get angry when those expectations aren't met.

yeah its easy to generate hype, but when it leads to nowhere it backfires spectacularly

Sep 7, 2020
Makes sense. Its always good to temper expectations and be pleasantly surprised as opposed to hyperbolic expectations the assuredly will lead to disappointment. I think any big game announcements will not occur until the summer events.

OP
OP
jbug617

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017

They filed a trademark for "Bandai Namco Next" not so long ago, which sounds like an event name to me: https://www3.wipo.int/branddb/en/showData.jsp?ID=EMTM.018365084

They also trademarked this, not sure if related, but just throwing it in here because it looks it could be a new logo or something: https://www3.wipo.int/branddb/en/showData.jsp?ID=EMTM.018355881

uwIChQC.jpg

They have a lot they haven't shown (Elden Ring, Digimon Survive, Tales of Arise, that one Digimon game they've been working on for 84 years, etc.) and recently acquired Reflector Entertainment, a minority stake in Limbic to develop two new IPs, etc. Also a possible new Sword Art Online game was trademarked recently (Variant Showdown).

thanks. Added thread mark.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I really like Aaron Greenberg getting ahead of rumors like these nowadays, not the first time he does it and I appreciate it every time. Helps keep my expectations where they should be, and I end up much happier when something does happen, big or small :)

I feel like the industry as a whole got a lot better at this, too.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Rather set expectations this way. The internet is a uhhh wild place when it comes to rumors.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I really like Aaron Greenberg getting ahead of rumors like these nowadays, not the first time he does it and I appreciate it every time. Helps keep my expectations where they should be, and I end up much happier when something does happen, big or small :)

I feel like the industry as a whole got a lot better at this, too.

Letting hype from rumors go unchecked just leads to disappointment.

Jul 10, 2020
Bethesda was always going to be a large-scale news days of blog posts, interviews, maybe a sizzle reel, and Xbox Youtube Videoes.

Anybody expecting a SoP or Direct, in March, were fooling themselves.

The Bethesda Xbox marriage will be a big deal, but not "tune into X day at Y time to see everything" type of things.

Lots of interviews, videos from Phil and Todd, and blog posts.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I'm not quite sure why people got to thinking that the "What's New for Gaming" thing would entail game announcements or reveals comparable to a direct or a State of Play.

Jul 10, 2020
I'm not quite sure why people got to thinking that the "What's New for Gaming" thing would entail game announcements or reveals comparable to a direct or a State of Play.

Insiders presented it with no framing of what the event would be, so people went full pedal to the medal.

Anybody who stepped back from the hype ledge would have seen an event like this with that name and say "Yeah, that's a business thing"

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Insiders presented it with no framing of what the event would be, so people went full pedal to the medal.

Anybody who stepped back from the hype ledge would have seen an event like this with that name and say "Yeah, that's a business thing"
For sure. If anything, such an event MAY have inside looks at new UI enhancements, or prototype features for the Series platform - like the 60FPS boost for titles like Fallout 4. Not content reveals.

Feb 15, 2019

uwIChQC.jpg

đź‘€ Are you talking about the new Story game in development since at least 2018 or is there another Digimon game I'm forgetting?

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the info we got sounded more like a press release for the future of Bethesda and all the other studios.

Then it got called an "event" and everyone started thinking Xbox Direct.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
remember when this same guy said that the fable and perfect dark twitter accounts getting reactivated meant nothing but then a few months later new entries for both games got revealed? lol

cogconnected.com

Microsoft Says Perfect Dark & Fable Twitter Accounts Aren't For Upcoming Reveals

An Xbox marketing executive denied that two recently discovered Twitter accounts for Perfect Dark & Fable signified any upcoming announcements.
I do believe that the Perfect Dark handle was actually a fan made one though.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft is holding off until E3, they seem to act like this is really the only place to make game announcements.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018

uwIChQC.jpg

Great find Sal. I saw this trademark way back but never cared to post it cause I felt it could be literally anything. Do you have a good idea if 41 is usually whats filed for live events, pre-recorded stuff?

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
đź‘€ Are you talking about the new Story game in development since at least 2018 or is there another Digimon game I'm forgetting?

Yeah that one. I don't have any inside info about it or anything. I just hope it hasn't been cancelled. It's funny though that Digimon Survive was meant to hold us over until the next Digimon Story, yet here we are nearly three years after its initial announcement and it's still not out.

Great find Sal. I saw this trademark way back but never cared to post it cause I felt it could be literally anything. Do you have a good idea if 41 is usually whats filed for live events, pre-recorded stuff?

Ah, no idea, but one of the descriptors is "presentation of live performances," so there's that I guess.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Utterly ridiculous that the press and community whips itself into such a frenzy that this kind of official reality check needs to continually happen, because of the self-imposed disappointment when this stuff doesn't happen.

Ganado

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Digimon Survive that one Digimon game they've been working on for 84 years?

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I thought it was weird that big announcements wouldn't have been saved for early June when E3 usually happens. I was Surprised Nintendo didn't hold back Pokemon and Monster Hunter stuff till then as well. I agree some of the press or insiders likes to stir the pot for click and views.

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
But the internet was going to keep hyping this up for the next month until it created expectations that couldn't possibly be met!

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Time for another acquisition to save face. I suggest one of:

-Sega
-Capcom
-Konami

Feb 15, 2019
Yeah that one. I don't have any inside info about it or anything. I just hope it hasn't been cancelled. It's funny though that Digimon Survive was meant to hold us over until the next Digimon Story, yet here we are nearly three years after its initial announcement and it's still not out.

Ah, no idea, but one of the descriptors is "presentation of live performances," so there's that I guess.

I'd like to believe they're actually a lot closer to completion on that game than people expect but just don't want to steal the spotlight from Survive. That's what my emotions want at least so we'd get it not too far from Survive :(.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever they do an event I just hope they show off more gameplay, for all it's faults Infinite was still the best thing at their event last year because it was in-game footage.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017

uwIChQC.jpg

Interesting, thanks for this.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Hasn't Greenberg lied for the past few dozen times like this? I don't believe him lol.