• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA

Lantern, a one-hour drama, has been given a 10 episode straight-to-series order. It hails from Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television. Greg Berlanti and Geoff Johns, the comics author-turned-DC show creator, were involved in the 2011 Green Lantern movie as was Guggenheim. While the movie didn't shine green at the box office, the show is being seen as a way to course correct and re-introduce one of the longest-lasting names in superhero comics.

The makers are describing the show as a saga spanning decades and galaxies And will feature a host of Green Lanterns, the galactic police officers that patrol the known and unknown universe. The show will focus on Earth-centric Lanterns Guy Gardner, Jessica Cruz, Simon Baz, and Alan Scott and will also have alien Lanterns such as fan-favorite Kilowog, as well as Sinestro, a former Lantern now turned villain.

No Hal or John yet? Saving them for season 2 I hope.

EDIT - Orrrrrr saving them for the movies

Last edited:

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
It was obvious but I can't believe we're seriously going to get Hal Jordan (and John Stewart) as the movie lantern. Every character listed there is a better choice.

Jessica Cruz is a DC breakout hero waiting to happen if they give her the right push.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
A drama about Green Lanterns I will take.

Please make it Justified in space.

Please, please, please.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Thats a weird choice for the main characters. I would have at least expected them to go with John as the main character, with the rest of those as his supporting cast. Not even Kyle lol? I bet they do the thing where Hal, John, and Kyle have all gone missing and they are spending the whole season trying to track them down. Just seems like a weird choice to not go with at least one of the main 3 that even non comic readers might recognize.

And what is the showrunner known for? Looks like he is the genius behind Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Starting with standalone Alan Scott in the past just on earth should be fun, then him recurring with his immortality through the other eras

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't try to turn Guy into Hal.

And I hope they have a budget

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Life as a Kyle Rayner fan.

Ed90L1UU0AA_LPL.jpg:large

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
John Stewart might be the only DC character to give Barry Allen a run for his money in being boring. Hal is at least a scumbag, so is interesting in that respect

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that Kyle's not mentioned. I'd be down for a movie with him, Hal, & John as a trio.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
I watched the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern a couple days ago for the first time. While it wasn't a great film by any stretch, it wasn't awful. There was some cheese and odd looking CG, but watchable.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
All the good lanterns, save Kyle. I like it.

Sadly, this means the eventual movie will definitely have Hal and John boring us all to tears.

It was obvious but I can't believe we're seriously going to get Hal Jordan (and John Stewart) as the movie lantern. Every character listed there is a better choice.

Jessica Cruz is a DC breakout hero waiting to happen if they give her the right push.
Agreed. The only thing stopping Jessica from being a big female hero is that she's a Green Lantern, and thus is never going to be pushed ahead of Hal or John.

Let's hope she's a breakout character for this show.

Last edited:

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Will it follow the trend of a good year 1 budget for special effects and then get punted to the WB for intergalactic warehouse battles?

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I watched the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern a couple days ago for the first time. While it wasn't a great film by any stretch, it wasn't awful. There was some cheese and odd looking CG, but watchable.

GL's biggest problem is Marvel movies existed at that point, and people were starting to expect a little more.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
John Stewart might be the only DC character to give Barry Allen a run for his money in being boring. Hal is at least a scumbag, so is interesting in that respect
Funny that Hal and John are alike in that the most interesting thing either of them ever did was cause massive amounts of death (Parallax and Xanshi), only for everyone to bascially treat it like "whoopsie" later.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Funny that Hal and John are alike in that the most interesting thing either of them ever did was cause massive amounts of death (Parallax and Xanshi), only for everyone to bascially treat it like "whoopsie" later.
John always managed to marry out of his league, boy might be color struck
John-Stewart-and-Merayn-Dethalis-darkstars-41441577-642-953.png

3025690-5675164423-tumbl.jpg

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can see everybody asking where Kyle is. Maybe he'll be saved for the movies like Hal and John.

(Probably not. *Sigh*)

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Kyle will be in season 2 of this before he's in the movies.

John and Hal are the only Lanterns I expect to see in the films for a good long while unless one of the others is a breakout character from this show.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Just thinking about the special effects budget for all the ring wielders makes me wince. Hope it succeeds.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Alan Scott? that's a bit weird should sub him out for Kyle. Hopefully this turns out well Johns run really turned me into a fan of the Lanterns.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Will the budget for this show be on par with the MCU D+ shows?
And hopefully this means that Hal, Kyle, and John is either saved for later season or the movies.

Justice_DP

Jan 28, 2020
Life as a Kyle Rayner fan.

Ed90L1UU0AA_LPL.jpg:large

Indeed.

But try being a Kyle Rayner fan who loves Conner Hawke, Wally West, Dick Grayson and Donna Troy as well....

(To be honest: Kyle has the problem that he was created for the spotlight and as a leading man built on the history of the franchise. Therefore his chance for a media spotlight was gone the moment Hal returned- Evem before he was no easy sell - I stil lament that we did not get Morrison's mangnficent seven for the Justice League cartoon, especially since I love "architect"-John and find "marine"-John insufferable)

Oct 27, 2017
Thats a weird choice for the main characters. I would have at least expected them to go with John as the main character, with the rest of those as his supporting cast. Not even Kyle lol? I bet they do the thing where Hal, John, and Kyle have all gone missing and they are spending the whole season trying to track them down. Just seems like a weird choice to not go with at least one of the main 3 that even non comic readers might recognize.

And what is the showrunner known for? Looks like he is the genius behind Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter.

That dude has an incredible agent. ALVH was fine pulpy nonsense, but this is an impressive career move.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
That dude has an incredible agent. ALVH was fine pulpy nonsense, but this is an impressive career move.
Sounds like he was attached to The Flash movie for awhile. He probably made some connections while there and had a great pitch for this show.

Also sounds like they are specifically trying to build the show around the new GLs, rather than relying on the big 3. I mean, I get it. I like Alan Scott and Jessica Cruz a lot. Just would have liked to see John or Kyle have some sort of role. Hopefully im right, and they are searching for at least one of them and find them for Season 2.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Just need to give David Ramsey some time, and bring him on in the second season.

Oct 25, 2017
Pitch Cruz and Baz a little bit to me please, I know a bit about them and I'm glad the shows using them.

GL as a DC property has never been my fave but it's still amazing nonetheless.

The sector Earth is in would seem to be especially crime-ridden as opposed to say, Kilowogg's, so off-world stuff would need to feature prominently.