• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
So No Way Home had the Goblin not use a mask cuz it allowed for Willem Dafoe to be more expressive. However, what if he had a mask like these:

nom4nr84y0781.jpg

green_goblin__original_mask____no_way_home_by_jalonct_deybke3-fullview.png

I was wondering, do you think this could have worked

Oct 25, 2017
sure it would have been okay
but when your actor already has a goblin face you fuckin use it
especially when that actor is willem
a 20 year old mistake finally rectified

astro

Oct 25, 2017
One of the things they messed up in the original film was covering up Dafoe's face too much. So no, they took the better solution.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
When they eventually introduce an MCU proper Green Goblin, I'd love to see a comic-accurate mask and outfit.

But for Dafoe? Nah, I want to see his face in this movie.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I don't think either of those look better personally. Dafoe just nails the character so I preferred the no mask by far. If it was another actor, mask. Dafoe, let him shine.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If it was a new actor sure, but Dafoe absolutely doesn't need it

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I actually don't really understand why Hollywood, atleast for certain kinds of characters, doesn't think to use masks more. They act like faces are paramount to enjoying a character, and I don't think they are. At the very least, you could definitely have mitigate some of the lost expression by emphasizing body language. And it would probably save on actors too. A lot of actors charge stupid high rates, so there is an implied need to use their face, but to me that's more of a justification to find a more obscure or up and coming actor whose more willing to act through body language to get the job done.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Imagine casting one of like, 4 people on the planet that can do a goblin face without a mask...and then you give him a mask.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I actually don't really understand why Hollywood, atleast for certain kinds of characters, doesn't think to use masks more. They act like faces are paramount to enjoying a character, and I don't think they are. At the very least, you could definitely have mitigate some of the lost expression by emphasizing body language. And it would probably save on actors too. A lot of actors charge stupid high rates, so there is an implied need to use their face, but to me that's more of a justification to find a more obscure or up and coming actor whose more willing to act through body language to get the job done.
actors don't like hiding their faces

studios are paying to use these actor's famous faces

they have no reason to hide the actors faces more then they have to

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
They could've just had him go to Home Depot and buy a tub of green paint to dunk his head in. Justify it as him getting rid of the last remnants or Norman, or something like that.

But they didn't need the mask.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i need to see every single centimeter of willem dafoes face

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
The mask is corny. But then again they tried to make the goblin more than he is and it didn't really work. Seemed like they just wanted a great performance over a great character. But it was just standard Dafoe.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
And miss the manic smile he gives to Tom-Peter when he strikes him in the face during the apartment building beatdown?

Fuck no, Dafoe is fine without the mask.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
I think the mask made sense in the original, as Norman's identity needed to be hidden, but Dafoe's facial expressions really bring the character out, so I'm glad they didn't use it again

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So No Way Home had the Goblin not use a mask cuz it allowed for Willem Dafoe to be more expressive. However, what if he had a mask like these:

nom4nr84y0781.jpg

I was wondering, do you think this could have worked
The mask honestly looks really out of place with the suit redesign. Imo, it just further makes it clear that they made the right move getting rid of it. And they did it in a pretty appropriate way in the film. I really enjoyed that we got one more scene of Norman talking to the Goblin through the mask, before smashing it.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Because in live action masks are more effective when trying to maintain mystery or conceal an identity from the audience. The audience enjoys all the unspoken language communicated through facial expressions.

Did you think as to why they always went for a shot inside the helmet when Tony Stark had his Iron Man suit fully on?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
When they eventually introduce an MCU proper Green Goblin, I'd love to see a comic-accurate mask and outfit.

I honestly think we will never see that or Doc Ock after No Way Home to be honest.

But I think would actually be kind of cool though was to have Dafoe paint his face green after he became the goblin again. Much like Norman would do in the comics when he was the Iron Patriot.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Because in live action masks are more effective when trying to maintain mystery or conceal an identity from the audience. The audience enjoys all the unspoken language communicated through facial expressions.

Did you think as to why they always went for a shot inside the helmet when Tony Stark had his Iron Man suit fully on?
Yeah, man, I know. It's no mystery.

I'm just saying that I'd like to see an attempt to act through masks and body language. It can be another valid avenue of acting. But everyone always defaults to prioritizing facial expressions for various reasons and I think it's a missed opportunity.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think we're going to get an MCU native Green Goblin. Or a Doc Ock. Or any of the villains used in NWH. They don't want to repeat themselves like that.

Will we see a Spider-Man vs. Green Goblin film again? Sure. But we'll probably have to wait for the next version of Peter Parker after Tom Holland.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

I'm just saying that I'd like to see an attempt to act through masks and body language. It can be another valid avenue of acting. But everyone always defaults to prioritizing facial expressions for various reasons and I think it's a missed opportunity.
Curious what they'll do for Doctor Doom tbh.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

I mean, you've got Darth Vader, but again, he's supposed to be a mysterious faceless villain.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I honestly think we will never see that or Doc Ock after No Way Home to be honest.

But I think would actually be kind of cool though was to have Dafoe paint his face green after he became the goblin again. Much like Norman would do in the comics when he was the Iron Patriot.

I don't think we're going to get an MCU native Green Goblin. Or a Doc Ock. Or any of the villains used in NWH. They don't want to repeat themselves like that.

Will we see a Spider-Man vs. Green Goblin film again? Sure. But we'll probably have to wait for the next version of Peter Parker after Tom Holland.

You both might be right but I do think we'll eventually see at least one of them in the MCU.

But I mean, I don't expect it for quite some time. Like, at least post-college trilogy if that's the next plan.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
The fake cure that Peter stuck him with should have further enhanced his goblin powers, but turned his skin green and eyes yellow.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Imagine covering this

Would've been a huge mistake

RecentVelvetyHamadryad-max-1mb.gif

Lmao facial expressions are the pillar of human interaction

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you've got Darth Vader, but again, he's supposed to be a mysterious faceless villain.
Not really. I mean, I grew up at a time when Darth Vader's entire history, childhood, sand hatred, etc, was known, but the Original Trilogy never played up his mystery, it built up his rage, remorse, and ominousness. There is no mystery to him in the first movie, there is no real mystery to him in the second because the entire twist comes from Luke's end, it's not like Vader, and the only mystery in the third is whehter there is enough good in him for Luke to turn him against the emperor.

Which is why I think this kind of acting is underrated. Vader isn't a mysterious villain in the slightest, and he works just fine. So, what other avenues of emoting are possible with body language but no face. I think it's worth exploring, but it would require Hollywood to take a risk, and we know they aren't wont to do that.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You both might be right but I do think we'll eventually see at least one of them in the MCU.

But I mean, I don't expect it for quite some time. Like, at least post-college trilogy if that's the next plan.

I honestly think after the next batch of movies that Holland is done. They'll bring in Miles Morales after that.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. I mean, I grew up at a time when Darth Vader's entire history, childhood, sand hatred, etc, was known, but the Original Trilogy never played up his mystery, it built up his rage, remorse, and ominousness. There is no mystery to him in the first movie, there is no real mystery to him in the second because the entire twist comes from Luke's end, it's not like Vader, and the only mystery in the third is whehter there is enough good in him for Luke to turn him against the emperor.

Which is why I think this kind of acting is underrated. Vader isn't a mysterious villain in the slightest, and he works just fine. So, what other avenues of emoting are possible with body language but no face. I think it's worth exploring, but it would require Hollywood to take a risk, and we know they aren't wont to do that.

It seems to work more for stoic characters like Mandalorian and Vader, but not so much for more manic villains like Goblin.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
It seems to work more for stoic characters like Mandalorian and Vader, but not so much for more manic villains like Goblin.
I wouldn't call Vader stoic in the first movie. Second and third, moreso, yes, but this is his first scene ever given.

He pissed. He's generally expressive through his vocals through the film imo.

Also, it can be really, really funny.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I honestly think after the next batch of movies that Holland is done. They'll bring in Miles Morales after that.

Oh, I definitely don't agree with that. Or rather, I don't think they'll replace Peter with Miles. If Holland is done after a potential college trilogy, I think this is a character they'll recast.

They can't always just kill off a character when the actor is done and Feige has mentioned in the past that they would "James Bond it" with characters when needed.

We'll get Miles but I don't think they take the Ultimate route and kill Peter. I actually think that Feige and Marvel Studios want to keep Peter in the MCU as a true constant from high school to college to post-college and beyond.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

There was no mystery with Darth Vader for you precisely because you knew his entire history.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I definitely don't agree with that. Or rather, I don't think they'll replace Peter with Miles. If Holland is done after a potential college trilogy, I think this is a character they'll recast.

They can't always just kill off a character when the actor is done and Feige has mentioned in the past that they would "James Bond it" with characters when needed.

We'll get Miles but I don't think they take the Ultimate route and kill Peter. I actually think that Feige and Marvel Studios want to keep Peter in the MCU as a true constant from high school to college to post-college and beyond.

I didn't say that I think they'll kill Holland's Peter. Because I don't think they'll do that. But I do think that Miles will take the reigns as MCU Spider-Man after the next set of Holland led movies. I don't know what the fate of Holland's Peter will be after that. He could get cameos. Or he could simply not appear. But I fully expect Miles to take over as the MCU Spider-Man after a few more films.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
There was no mystery with Darth Vader for you precisely because you knew his entire history.
No, wondering what a characters backstory independently from the story at hand is something else.

The story of the SW Original trilogy is almost entirely indifferent to Vader's backstory. It's only as concerned with it so long as they need to include it to give you the gist of where Vader is now, why he uses a lightsaber now, why he feels conflicted about fighting Luke, etc. The movies weren't treating his backstory as a mystery, because to the OT, it didn't matter the specific how of why ended up as a fallen jedi, it just mattered that he did.

If I had grown up before the prequels, then maybe I'd say that I wonder wtf happened with vader, sure, but that'd still wouldn't be the story playing the character as mysterious, it'd just me being an overly invested SW fan.

You might as well say Immortan Joe from Mad Max Fury Road is a mysterious character because the movie never explained how he came into power. No, that character's backstory, other than gesturing towards some kind of past as a military general to explain why he has an army, doesn't matter to the story, so it's not bothered with.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call Vader stoic in the first movie. Second and third, moreso, yes, but this is his first scene ever given.

He pissed. He's generally expressive through his vocals through the film imo.

Also, it can be really, really funny.

I suppose with Vadar it's more the "trying to look stoic while failing at that and flying into explosive rages" dynamic, where he works better when you can't see the rage building until he's already choking a guy.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose with Vadar it's more the "trying to look stoic while failing at that and flying into explosive rages" dynamic, where he works better when you can't see the rage building until he's already choking a guy.
I guess a valid interpretation, but I honestly just don't see Vader as particular stoic in the first film. His body language or voice acting in is indicative of what he's thinking or feeling, and I don't get the sense that he holds anything back. But that's just me.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
as they did it was probably the best choice made in the entire movie. Kept people connected to both of Norman's sides without any boundaries.