• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
SomosXbox 8.7
GreedFall is the game BioWare fans have been waiting for. Spiders manage to bring us a complex story, deep characters and confronted factions that show real political and religious problems. Despite its technical issues, GreedFall is what fans of RPG have been waiting for.

Hobby Consolas 84

A solid proposal to any fan of action RPGs. It's not groundbreaking and it takes almost all of its ingredients from other games, but it sure delivers a profound and versatile experience.

https://www.hobbyconsolas.com/reviews/analisis-greedfall-juego-rol-accion-ps4-one-pc-488695

GamePro Germany 80
The biggest drawback, probably due to the budget, is the game world itself, which looks too uniform and empty. Often we just run from one point to another as if on rails, fighting in the fun and varied combat system against too light standard opponents to reach the real highlight of the game - the different factions with their stories.

Multiplayer.it 8/10

PlayStation Universe 8/10
GreedFall stands as Spiders' most successful game to day, bar none. Despite its issues, nothing gets in the way of this game's ambition and heart. Anyone looking for a standout, deep action-RPG will find it in GreedFall. With its different narrative paths and various ways to build your character, there are so many reasons to play through multiple times.

The Games Machine 8/10
GreedFall is a charming RPG with a beautiful setting and an engaging plot. It's a bit rough on the edges, but it represents the pinnacle of Spiders' productions so far, even if there's still room for improvement.

Windows Central 8/10
GreedFall delivers an experience that is as satisfying as it is ambitious, although it does falter in some notable ways.

GameWatcher 8.0
Greedfall, even with its flaws, is a game that's very easy to sink time into without regret. For a game about fighting a horrible disease, it ironically grows on you. It would be difficult, even impossible, to make an unproblematic game about colonialism. But the one Spiders made is engaging and a lot more open about the sordid nature of it than expected. If you're craving that type of BioWare-esque game and want to pretend Anthem doesn't exist, Greedfall has you covered. It's a wonderful addition to any RPG lover's library and will be well worth their time.

RPGSite 8/10
I don't know if it's appropriate to think of Greedfall as a sort of substitute, merely as a replacement for some other RPG. While it shares several of the same trimmings, I ended up finding an experience that was unique and stands on its own merits. I feel like it's an easy game to criticize for lots of reasons that I wouldn't disagree with -- but I was thoroughly impressed with the handling of the setting, the tone of the narrative, the character interactions and how those meshed with the underlying systems and mechanics, that I simply found myself uninterested in clinging on too strongly to a list of imperfections. Greedfall is an ambitious game that punches above its weight, one that RPG fan owe it to themselves to try

GameSpew 8/10
GreedFall certainly left me wanting more; while its story may be a bit shallow in places, it's still got a lot of depth, a fluid, intuitive combat system and enough morally-grey missions to bring me back to Teer Fradee some time soon. Forget waiting for the next Dragon Age, GreedFall is an impressive debut for what could well become a classic series.

Vandal 8/10
Not only is it the best Spiders game, Greedfall is on its own merits a very fun RPG and the surprise of this season. No fan of the Western role should let it out.

Generación Xbox 7.6

GreedFall is a highly recommended title for all those who are fans of RPG titles and enjoy a remarkable artistic section, managing to create a world of dark fantasy set in the era of imperialism.

IGN Spain 7.8
Finally Spiders show their great quality with Greedfall. A remarkable Action-RPG full of content, which will give hours of fun to the genre. With an even bigger budget, it could have aimed higher.
https://es.ign.com/greedfall-xbox-o...de-greedfall-para-playstation-4-xbox-one-y-pc

CGMagazine 7.5

While occasionally caving under the weight of its ambition, Greedfall delivers a world worth exploring inhabited by characters and stories just as memorable.

Wccftech 7.5

GreedFall is the best game made by Spiders yet and a worthy RPG in its own right. While definitely not without faults in some areas, it delivers great writing, arguably the most refreshing setting seen recently in a fantasy game, and solid combat.

PSX-Sense.nl 7.5

GreedFall is worth your time, mainly because of its intriguing world, which is full of interesting stories and political mindgames. Some bugs detract from the experience, though - as does the unpredictable AI.

Eurogamer Italy 7/10
Greedfall is overall an action RPG open world that lacks in originality. Overall it's a well crafted game, but is marred by atrocious dialogues.

TheSixthAxis 7/10
Greedfall has an ambitious story, but it's not backed up by the clearly repeated environments, simple combat and dull abilities that take ages to unlock. Seasoned RPG players might well be able able to look past those flaws in favour of the interesting, well written stories about political manoeuvres and oppression that make up the bulk of the quests in this pretty dark, deep world.

Push Square 7/10
GreedFall is Spiders' best game by some distance, and it's impressive how far the developer has come in just a few short years. It successfully scratches that BioWare itch with an intriguing world, likeable characters, and rock solid gameplay. However, aside from its unique setting, nothing about GreedFall truly stands out. Its combat is good but not great, its role-playing is largely fine but ultimately stunted, and its writing is competent but sometimes boring. GreedFall is right on the cusp of being something special. RPG fans will find a lot to like, but don't go in expecting the genre's next masterpiece.

Screen Rant 7/10
GreedFall is a solid if not especially remarkable game, with an engaging story in a unique setting that borrows heavily from real history, and is sure to be satisfying to those in need of a BioWare-style, action RPG fix.

PC Invasion 7/10
While it's true that GreedFall has some serious problems with variety and bizarrely re-used assets, the story is great and the combat and game systems are quite good. Anyone willing to look past its problems and dig into the narrative will likely have a good time with it.

God is a Geek 7/10

Greedfall is held back by performance issues and a tendency to fill its space with tedious padding, but it's saved by fun combat and an intriguing story.

Everyeye.it 6.7
Spiders' latest game succeeds in lifting itself from the terrible mediocrity that enveloped The Techomancer, but it does so with an effort that, although commendable, is still not vigorous enough.
https://www.everyeye.it/articoli/recensione-greedfall-nuovo-gdr-spiders-45272.html

DualShockers 6.5
GreedFall takes place in an amazing and intriguing world but fails to be interesting on the gameplay front

Gamekult.com : 6/10

Jeuxvideo.com
13/20

Eurogamer Recommended
GreedFall has more than its fair share of faults, and its curious mix of the sweet and the sour is far from a roleplaying revelation. But the elements that matter have been imbued with such love and care - so much so that I quickly forgave this ambitious RPG its shortcomings.

Review In progress:

IGN
There are still glitches, awkward character models, immersion-breaking re-use of assets, and an overall lack of polish that keep it from threatening Geralt's crown, and I'll need to find out how the story wraps up before I can pass final judgment on it. But I can already say this is going to be a crowd-pleaser for those of us who still shake our canes and talk about how the genre peaked a decade ago. We may have to eat our words before long.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/09/greedfall-review

Game Informer
From what I've played thus far, GreedFall is a big step up from Spiders' last game Technomancer, even if its skeleton is similar in design. I'm curious to see where things go in this monster-filled world that is inspired by 17th-century Europe baroque art. The setting works, the RPG systems are nice and deep, and I just have to see if the story and gameplay hold up as my quest unfolds. The good news: I'm looking forward to jumping right back into it.
https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/09/09/wheres-our-greedfall-review

Destructoid
Is Greedfall janky? Yes. Does it detract from the overall enjoyment of the game? Not yet! The framerate also chugs more than I think it should, but I haven't played around with the options too much yet to find out the perfect selection of options. For now, I will continue to max out my charisma as much as possible and (hopefully) talk my way out of just about every encounter I come across.

GamesBeat
Two of its major aspects, character progression and narrative choice-making, will take some more time to get a full read on, but I will say I've run into some great scenarios so far that have made me feel like the choices I'm making in both of those areas will have real consequences. If that's the case, Greedfall could be an RPG sleeper-hit.

Video Reviews:

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
dest review is
i've played i t for 5 hours
i don't play single player games much at all so if a game holds my attention for more than an hour it's doing something right
i can't stop thinking about it i just wanna play more

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About what I expected.

I am a bit busy with my Resident Evil series replay so I might have to wait a bit before trying it.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Hoping for somewhere in the 70s.

It's really cool to see ERA kind of really behind this game and I feel it has a lot to do with people being tired of having to rely on huge publishers and certain AAA devs who have sent many beloved franchises on a downward spiral.

I'm wishing the best for Spider here. Not gonna keep looking at them as the underdog because I think they are on the cusp of greatness.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm amazed at how big of a step up this is from their prior efforts. They not only cracked out of the 50 barrier, but they did it all the way to mid seventies! Congrats to spiders for their first consistently praised game.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Liking these scores, especially for a Spiders game. Played for a few hours last night and other than a few QoL things that they hopefully patch in over time, I'm loving the world and characters.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Good scores, I guess the only disappointment is that there seems to be a ceiling on the reviews at very good - nobody seems to want to venture into the great/outstanding realm. Sounds like the biggest limitation is the development resources, so a purchase could help make their next game or a sequel review even higher.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice reviews for the most part, especially compared to their previous titles.

I'm really enjoying the game so far.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
After some hours of playing it, it definitely feels like a 8/10 RPG game.. my main problems with the game are lack of idle animations for various NPCs in the game world, stiff animations (but that's not a big problem in combat), facial animations and very, very few NPCs around in the big cities.. I mean yeah, budget, but even The Sinking City has way more NPCs roaming the main city than this game and they had probably similiar budget..
But other than that, game is really, really good and addictive.. you clearly see the heart that was put into the game

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
SomosXbox 8.7
GreedFall is the game BioWare fans have been waiting for. Spiders manage to bring us a complex story, deep characters and confronted factions that show real political and religious problems. Despite its technical issues, GreedFall is what fans of RPG have been waiting for.

IGN Spain 7.8
Finally Spiders show their great quality with Greedfall. A remarkable Action-RPG full of content, which will give hours of fun to the genre. With an even bigger budget, it could have aimed higher.
https://es.ign.com/greedfall-xbox-o...de-greedfall-para-playstation-4-xbox-one-y-pc

God is a Geek 7/10
Greedfall is held back by performance issues and a tendency to fill its space with tedious padding, but it's saved by fun combat and an intriguing story.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Gah this looks so good. A friend of mine mentioned this game in passing and it sounds so up my alley... These review scores are just making me want to play it more :(.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The Spiders devs must be loving the acclaim. I hope it leads to a notable sales uptick as well, given the higher risk they undertook with the larger budget

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Karak sold me on the game heavy with that brilliant review - jumped in last night, and been having the best time. It's a beautiful game - and the soundtrack is lovely !

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
This is great for Spiders - hope folks through their money behind this, because I, for one, love what they're doing.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Yeah I am definitely buying this. Looks like they've finally landed in the "solid" category, and I enjoyed the Technomancer.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Buying. Looks aweaome and like something a few updates could really improve and would love to see what these devs do in the future.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hoping for somewhere in the 70s.

It's really cool to see ERA kind of really behind this game and I feel it has a lot to do with people being tired of having to rely on huge publishers and certain AAA devs who have sent many beloved franchises on a downward spiral.

I'm wishing the best for Spider here. Not gonna keep looking at them as the underdog because I think they are on the cusp of greatness.
Everyone does love a good underdog story, and there's a lot at play here.

Greedfall sounds like it's great on its own merits, but it's also coming out at a time where these sort of "classic" RPG games are few and far between. The torchbearer of this formula was Bioware, and they've moved so far away from the type of experiences that made fans love them that there's little hope they'll return to that formula anytime soon. Many of those elements are sprinkled into other games - like AC: Odyssey, Horizon, or Witcher 3 - but not quite scratching the itch left by classics like KOTOR or Dragon Age.

So this year we had Bioware - with the backing of EA's massive marketing and publishing arm - a developer of over 800 employees - who spent six years on a project like Anthem, which is almost the antithesis of everything that once made them great... and now we have Greedfall, a game that takes huge inspiration from those classic games, made by an uproven developer of mostly middling titles, with about 20+ employees, making an ambitious, story-driven RPG that aims to stand toe-to-toe with the RPG giants, and is currently getting favorably received by both critics and RPG fans.

That's... really insane, given the absolutely massive scale discrepancy between triple-A studios and Spiders. And yet, when the dust settles, it looks like this game is going to be far better received than the newest works of Bioware or Bethesda, two of the giants of the industry.

I'm sure Greedfall is far from perfect - limited by resources, budget, and manpower - but the critic who says it's punching far above its weight is spot-on. The fact the game is apparently so good makes it even easier to root for, but them even being in the same conversation as their competition right now wasn't something anyone thought would be possible even a few short months ago.

They may not win any GOTY awards (or they may, who knows?), but having Greedfall and its team put out such an impressive showing is beyond commendable at this point.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Oldhand

Oct 28, 2017

Greedfall sounds like it's great on its own merits, but it's also coming out at a time where these sort of "classic" RPG games are few and far between. The torchbearer of this formula was Bioware, and they've moved so far away from the type of experiences that made fans love them that there's little hope they'll return to that formula anytime soon. Many of those elements are sprinkled into other games - like AC: Odyssey, Horizon, or Witcher 3 - but not quite scratching the itch left by classics like KOTOR or Dragon Age.

So this year we had Bioware - with the backing of EA's massive marketing and publishing arm - a developer of over 800 employees - who spent six years on a project like Anthem, which is almost the antithesis of everything that once made them great... and now we have Greedfall, a game that takes huge inspiration from those classic games, made by an uproven developer of mostly middling titles, with about 20+ employees, making an ambitious, story-driven RPG that aims to stand toe-to-toe with the RPG giants, and is currently getting favorably received by both critics and RPG fans.

That's... really insane, given the absolutely massive scale discrepancy between triple-A studios and Spiders. And yet, when the dust settles, it looks like this game is going to be far better received than the newest works of Bioware or Bethesda, two of the giants of the industry.

I'm sure Greedfall is far from perfect - limited by resources, budget, and manpower - but the critic who says it's punching far above its weight is spot-on. The fact the game is apparently so good makes it even easier to root for, but them even being in the same conversation as their competition right now wasn't something anyone thought would be possible even a few short months ago.

They may not win any GOTY awards (or they may, who knows?), but having Greedfall and its team put out such an impressive showing is beyond commendable at this point.
giphy.gif

This could be the first game I ever buy because the story behind the game is a great one. Great post sir/ma'am!

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

giphy.gif

I endorse this post 💯%.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Looking good.
I wouldn't have time to finish it before The Outer Worlds though, but I'll get it in the future.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
it just might win "Best RPG". The pickings are pretty slim this year, especially with Disco Elysium MIA

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
it just might win "Best RPG". The pickings are pretty slim this year, especially with Disco Elysium MIA

Haven't played it yet but I'm hoping it gets some recognition. A lot of the issues I'm reading about sounds like it's due to budget, manpower, and resources. Things that can definitely be addressed in a follow up or a rerelease with more capital behind it.

I'm guessing Pokemon and FE would be potential candidates for this award? Then again those seem entirely different genre wise.

Nov 18, 2018
The reviews sound really solid which is great to see. I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into this after I finish Control. Hopefully this will be a success for Spiders and they can build on this in the future (although I don't know how their recent acquisition will affect their future plans) because we need more games like this being made.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Man, this game looks wonderful. Spider is a really great developer with great ideas just starved on cash. Wish some big publisher signs with them so we can get a great game from them

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

RPS gives it a "The first 3 hours kind of suck, but it gets better after that, though not all that great" review.

So yes, GreedFall is better than The Technomancer. But being better than The Technomancer isn't exactly the hardest thing in the world. And despite its clear attempts to be, GreedFall isn't better than the BioWare classics either. This is a step in the right direction for Spiders, but they still have a lot of work to do.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I can say that in the first few hours, the quests I have done are more involved than the entirety of the time I spent playing Dragon Age Inquisition

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Steam reviews (yes yes I know) have risen from mixed to very positive. I've been wishy washy about picking this up, but fuck it might as well support the underdog and reward their work!

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can say that in the first few hours, the quests I have done are more involved than the entirety of the time I spent playing Dragon Age Inquisition
Yeah. While inquisition may win in other regards, this game is aching more towards dragon age origins and II in quality of sidequests (more towards Origins than II) and even then it might have even a bit more freedom at points to choose how you tackle a quest. It's not always you get multiple options to do something, but it has happened more often than not.

The voice acting has been phenomenal so far. The biggest drawback to anything out the gate is there is definitely some jank in combat and movement , the face movement is off for conversation, and the textures/visuals vary wildly with quality and assets reuse. Which was all things I was expecting from a limited budget AA title.

It's Spiders best title to date from what I've played and I hope the twitch viewers translate to sales. They deserve a big break with this

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok can someone tell me or link me to a review that mentions the way they handle the colonists vs natives part of the story? That's the only thing left that has kept me from getting it

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ok can someone tell me or link me to a review that mentions the way they handle the colonists vs natives part of the story? That's the only thing left that has kept me from getting it
Kotaku has some impressions 10 hours in where someone who puts a lot of weight into the topic wasn't thrilled that it didn't go far enough if I recall correctly. I haven't seen a review from someone who goes in depth, but if it's something you consider very important you might want to read those 'early' ( I don't know how long the game is) impressions from her.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Gotta read some of these reviews. If it's just like an average Bioware game with some additional jank, I'm excited for it.

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kotaku has some impressions 10 hours in where someone who puts a lot of weight into the topic wasn't thrilled that it didn't go far enough if I recall correctly. I haven't seen a review from someone who goes in depth, but if it's something you consider very important you might want to read those 'early' ( I don't know how long the game is) impressions from her.
I will do that, thank you

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Why is anyone taking seriously articles from screenrant? If comicbook starts doing gaming reviews, are we going to post them too?

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
These are better than I expected. Not that it sways my opinion as I already had it pre-ordered, but I'm pleased for the devs.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These are some great scores, if they keep it up, they can become a pretty big deal in the WRPG space in the coming decade.

Real

Oct 28, 2017

giphy.gif

You should write more. I don't know why, but this was a really enjoyable breakdown.