• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
What's a good build for a mage other than going up the skill tree line for the shadow magic bolts? I know to avoid the one skill that extends the range of your blast until you are able to also get the skill after it to correct the bug. Does the 1 handed heavy weapon compliment magic or is it best just to focus on the shadow blasting line along with the stasis/heal? Are science and lockpicking the best things to focus on, I kind of want charisma to for talking but spreading out the points too much usually makes a jack of all trade that sucks at everything.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Holy fucking shit those fucking bats are the most broken enemy I have ever encountered in any video game. There is one pack of them in the gloomy lair near singing waters and I just could not kill them. The toughest enemy in this game bar none so far.
About to start the game. Anything I need to know? Any decisions I should or should not make? Points I should invest in?
Dont take charisma in the beginning.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
What's a good build for a mage other than going up the skill tree line for the shadow magic bolts? I know to avoid the one skill that extends the range of your blast until you are able to also get the skill after it to correct the bug. Does the 1 handed heavy weapon compliment magic or is it best just to focus on the shadow blasting line along with the stasis/heal? Are science and lockpicking the best things to focus on, I kind of want charisma to for talking but spreading out the points too much usually makes a jack of all trade that sucks at everything.
It's up to you how you play. The heavy one-handed weapons can be useful, and you'll want something to fall back on when you run out of mana (especially early on), but it's not worth investing too heavily in since you won't be wanting to put points into strength (which is what any better heavy weapons will require). Just treat it like a crutch until your spell-casting ability really takes off.

And due to the cap on talents, it's honestly better to generalize. You want to rely on your companion bonus and your gear for getting 3 levels; there is no companion bonus for lockpicking, so that's one you definitely want to get to 2 (but it's also the easiest to get gear for). They're all useful in their own way, so it's really tricky to give any general rule beyond not taking craftsmanship. The ideal setup for the end is probably going to be 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1, assuming they have it capped the same as Technomancer (it seems you currently stop gaining points in anything after Level 45, but I haven't calculated the precise number of talent points yet), allocated in whatever fashion you prefer.

Last edited:

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
It's up to you how you play. The heavy one-handed weapons can be useful, and you'll want something to fall back on when you run out of mana (especially early on), but it's not worth investing too heavily in since you won't be wanting to put points into strength (which is what any better heavy weapons will require). Just treat it like a crutch until your spell-casting ability really takes off.

And due to the cap on talents, it's honestly better to generalize. You want to rely on your companion bonus and your gear for getting 3 levels; there is no companion bonus for lockpicking, so that's one you definitely want to get to 2 (but it's also the easiest to get gear for). They're all useful in their own way, so it's really tricky to give any general rule beyond not taking craftsmanship. The ideal setup for the end is probably going to be 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1, assuming they have it capped the same as Technomancer (it seems you currently stop gaining points in anything after Level 45, but I haven't calculated the precise number of talent points yet), allocated in whatever fashion you prefer.
Thanks for the information. I will aim for talents to be more generalized then and rely on bonuses to hit 3. I started with Science and will do Lock Picking at level 5, then expand to the rest.

Oct 25, 2017

So, like, with magic... you really want the purple rings that take level 4 magic power, and b-line it to the final skill. The secret damage of that skill is that it creates a magic debuff on all the enemies you hit, making them take a shit ton more damage with your regular magic cast. Like, not to put too fine a point on it, but it makes stasis a mostly useless skill late game, because it does what stasis does, as an AOE, and creates a debuff.

If you don't get lucky with the drops you can buy a level 4 ring pretty early from one of the tribes when doing
Siora's moms quest
. It'll cost you 700 gold, but worth every penny.

A big warning to you: you will literally ruin the game doing this. I haven't died or even been touched since I started rolling with this. It makes the game FAR too easy. Also, make sure to drop 4 points into willpower as well because you'll want a necklace that has 20 m/s regen and the health buff or damage buff.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
They should put up wanted signs with your character on it.
Wanted: Legate De Sardet
Suspected to be the notorious, serial crate thief of Teer Fradee

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I wish I knew many hours ago that there are ore veins scattered in rocky areas.

Their glows are pretty weak compared to other gathering points. Only visible at close.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Also, there are actually board quests too in this game too. Just found a couple from a small camp. I wonder if I missed a bunch of them previously.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Finally a mod for this. It's been bugging me for a while.

20-1568417203-150514865.jpeg

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi, yeah, quick question - why are my hands suddenly glowing red/on fire? I've only played for maybe 30 minutes and yet any time I'm in combat this is happening.

Why?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I went full charisma, a Chest with the Vigor upgrade, another for science and the lockpicking one. Then crafting gloves.

3 Charisma makes the charisma rolls really easy, but also makes the vendor prices much better AND buffs your companions

You can order crafting of any upgrade or potion anyway so u don't really need points in crafting/science, at least as a mage. And the money you save makes up for the money you make with lockpicking.

Another trick is to save 1 talent point (or 2, I guess) and whenever you find let's say a chest that needs lockpicking, or a path you need to cross with vigor, save first, spend the point, open the chest to see what's in i, and see what are you missing before reloading your last save. I mean mostly if you're a super curious person like me, I always end up not spending the point anyway just in case I need it in another spot :P

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you who have played a good bit, how is the story?

In my opinion, the game doesn't really have a single, large-scale story to follow -- it's a setting, an island, and a setup: colonization. Other than that, the story is ... the events in the world, the characters around you, their problems, your companions backstories, etc. There are a first larger threads to follow, I guess. If you have played Witcher 3, it's more or less like that sans the Wild Hunt stuff. If that sounds appealing, you'll get a lot of mileage out of the smaller stuff. If not, then... well, I don't think you'll like what's on offer.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
In my opinion, the game doesn't really have a single, large-scale story to follow -- it's a setting, an island, and a setup: colonization. Other than that, the story is ... the events in the world, the characters around you, their problems, your companions backstories, etc. There are a first larger threads to follow, I guess. If you have played Witcher 3, it's more or less like that sans the Wild Hunt stuff. If that sounds appealing, you'll get a lot of mileage out of the smaller stuff. If not, then... well, I don't think you'll like what's on offer.

Good info, thanks. So no Big Baddy?

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
A big warning to you: you will literally ruin the game doing this. I haven't died or even been touched since I started rolling with this. It makes the game FAR too easy. Also, make sure to drop 4 points into willpower as well because you'll want a necklace that has 20 m/s regen and the health buff or damage buff.

I don't know. I respecced to pure Mage, went to the Arena at Level 13. I was out of mana immediately and still died at Stage 4.

The DLC for this game needs to be a horse. The PC runs fast and fast travel is well done, but I'm getting tired of it.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I've been pure magic, but looking at the melee tree, it kinda seems odd how you level up one handed, to unlock two handed, yet none of the bonuses from one handed work with two? Everything on the magic side meshed, or at least nothing seemed like wasted points to unlock something else.

Starting to build up skill points now that all the magic ones are unlocked....not sure what to take. Weapons seem pointless since I wouldn't even have the attributes to use them, so maybe traps I guess.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't start any of the side quests for my team members. They always say I'm busy doing something and I can help them later. I completed a few main missions and tried again, same thing. Any fix for this or am I missing something?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I've been pure magic, but looking at the melee tree, it kinda seems odd how you level up one handed, to unlock two handed, yet none of the bonuses from one handed work with two? Everything on the magic side meshed, or at least nothing seemed like wasted points to unlock something else.

Starting to build up skill points now that all the magic ones are unlocked....not sure what to take. Weapons seem pointless since I wouldn't even have the attributes to use them, so maybe traps I guess.
Yeah, they treat two handed sword as am upgrade from one handed. I don't want to use two handed, but there are super useful skills in the end of the sword tree.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't start any of the side quests for my team members. They always say I'm busy doing something and I can help them later. I completed a few main missions and tried again, same thing. Any fix for this or am I missing something?
You already have an active companion quest. While one is active, you can't remove that companion from party and accept another companion quest.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Yeah, they treat two handed sword as am upgrade from one handed. I don't want to use two handed, but there are super useful skills in the end of the sword tree.

You already have an active companion quest. While one is active, you can't remove that companion from party and accept another companion quest.

Well, this sucks. The one I have active is bugged. I'm supposed to "scout the harbor master" but nothing ever happens. The waypoint puts me in the middle of an area but there's nothing to do.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The further I play this game the more I wonder if some reviewers standards are a bit too high or if I am easier to please and this having almost none of the issues from Technomancer and being an improvement in almost every conceivable way is enough to make me love it so much.

I think Spiders biggest weakness with these past two titles, save for limited unique items/models due to budget, would be that they have yet to reach anywhere near the highs of companion dialogue as Bioware. You barely can talk to companions in here.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
For the love of everything good in this world please stop telling me that I need to drink a mana potion or that you need healing companions. Also, companions are almost completely useless on the highest difficulty level.

Just wanted to add that the quest are great in this game despite many other factors working against the game. Man, would I love to see this team's work on a larger scale budget.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I've finally put some time into the game again and reached the island (it took me a while, I can't abandon sidequests).
The second I set foot into the wilderness I couldn't put the game down! I've been thirsty for this kind of game for a while, apparently.

Also fuck bats! We were wiped out in seconds wtf?!

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
The further I play this game the more I wonder if some reviewers standards are a bit too high or if I am easier to please and this having almost none of the issues from Technomancer and being an improvement in almost every conceivable way is enough to make me love it so much.

I think Spiders biggest weakness with these past two titles, save for limited unique items/models due to budget, would be that they have yet to reach anywhere near the highs of companion dialogue as Bioware. You barely can talk to companions in here.
This reminds me of Mad Max because it got bad reviews, but I think it is really the fact that reviewers are not looking at games the same way us normies are. They get easy access to games and their views are skewed and they nit pick the smallest things. This game has its flaws for sure, but I've spent more time with this game in the last few years over a lot of other games (RPGs). It's just fun and interesting to keep playing despite it's flaws.
For the love of everything good in this world please stop telling me that I need to drink a mana potion or that you need healing companions. Also, companions are almost completely useless on the highest difficulty level.

Just wanted to add that the quest are great in this game despite many other factors working against the game. Man, would I love to see this team's work on a larger scale budget.
This.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Yeah, some of the reviewers were already setting the high standard while reviewing and were constantly comparing it to the greatest RPGs. For example, the PC Gamer review keep mentioning Dragon Age at every chance they could, of course it makes everything look worse.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I rescued Bastien in Vasco's storyline, but now I have no objective and talking to him doesn't do anything. Anyone know a solution?

EDIT: Nevermind, fast-traveling a few times made him randomly approach me. lol eurojank

Last edited:

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I rescued Bastien in Vasco's storyline, but now I have no objective and talking to him doesn't do anything. Anyone know a solution?

EDIT: Nevermind, fast-traveling a few times made him randomly approach me. lol eurojank

He spoke to me as I left the alley - but you gotta love a bit of eurojank.

*edit* "A bit of poison on my blade, then let's go!"

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm about 10 hours in now and really enjoying it. Starts out slightly, slightly rough but toward the end of the prologue it really clicked with me.

Having a pretty great time.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a weird issue as a mage where previously I had pretty decent fire rate for my spells going but suddenly I can only cast one at a time. Anybody know what this is about? I'm not over-encumbered or anything

Also T-Pose Turkey
38843559C20FF2CED332CC98E9F20BFBD39ECE9A

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
More I play it, more it reminds me on Witcher 1. I really hope that BigBen Interactive will give Spiders more money and freedom after this game because I know that Focus would do it.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Anyone knows any alternative for the pre-order hat that gives +1 inituition? I'm getting sick of the stupid hat and I have to see it in every cutscene and dialogue.

I can't get rid of it as I need the intuition.

OP
OP
Stiler

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm having a weird issue as a mage where previously I had pretty decent fire rate for my spells going but suddenly I can only cast one at a time. Anybody know what this is about? I'm not over-encumbered or anything

Also T-Pose Turkey
38843559C20FF2CED332CC98E9F20BFBD39ECE9A

The spellcasting speed decrease is a known issue when you are upgrading that path, when you get the next point in that line it will go back to normal.

Oct 25, 2017
It really feels like the leveling is completely broken, at least as a mage.
I'm 8 hours in (and that includes a restart after two hours) and I have completely maxed out my mage skill tree, at least the things I want. There is nothing else there that seems useful in any way (Stasis is nice but not useful at all, and the other skill is even worse). So I guess I'm just gonna dump the rest in firearms cause what else am I going to do?
It's really a bummer that there is no variety to magic at all. There is no lightning or fire or ice, it's just the one attack and nothing else.

Really feel like I'm gonna get bored soon because combat hasn't been great so far and realizing that nothing is going to change from hereon-out is really a bummer.

The spellcasting speed decrease is a known issue when you are upgrading that path, when you get the next point in that line it will go back to normal.
Yeah, I just got that next upgrade and things are fine again. I was really getting frustrated cause the already not very exciting combat now crawled to a halt.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
So, my magic bar at some point went from being 3 bars to 2 bars. This seems like a downgrade, and I'm not sure what caused it. Used a respec crystal to see if it was a sideeffect from spending points on guns, but no dice. Any ideas?

Not sure if you've already got your answer, but I think you mean the fury bar? The gold one? You'll be wearing a piece of equipment that essentially increases the cost of each fury use. So yeah it's a downgrade but (in my case) they came on rings with big damage upgrades so its worth it.