• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I was planning on going mage, but magic missile still hits like a wet noodle. I'm level 12 and still using the starting ring. I guess I'll have to try and spec into the attribute that lets you equip better rings. It takes 2 points to get the next ring and I already used a point on something else.

Hoping someone can mod in respec crystals because it would be fun to play around with builds.

The skill that let's your wear better rings also increases your damage by 10% per point. After a while, magic starts to melt faces, at least on hard.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Gamersgate reduced their discount to the bog-standard 14%. So I went with Fanatical copy instead.

Gonna download this tonight when I get home, though I probably won't get around to actually playing it till next week as the weekend's shaping up to be pretty busy.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Game is an art.

66B34F2553B230B8436297EFF8428A50F8198E21

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Utterly love this game and its exactly what's been missing this generation for me, since Bioware/EA have been "out to lunch" for most of the generation. Plus I can forgive the little low budget limitation things (lips that don't always sync right to dialogue, reuse of npc types, interior building layouts recycled, zones instead of full open world, etc.

For me RPGs were always about the stories, character building, and choices, and less about the graphical things, so those things don't matter for me, and this is not an ugly game by any means anyway, and the voice acting plus music is rock solid. And how awesome is it that interiors are already fully loaded in, so no loads when going in and out of houses. And for me the zones of the game world are just right. Big enough to let you "explore", but compact enough that you are never far from a finding a new locale, encounter, loot, etc. Plus frequent opportunity to fast travel if wanted. Way better than having an open world just for sake of having one, but its basically useless, and just pads things out by adding "travel time" (cough Final Fantasy 15).

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really impressed.

They showed the videos, but it didn't really give a good sense of the visuals and the size of the areas. It's a huge leap for Spiders.

There are a few complaints (fuzzy volumetrics—people keep saying film grain—no SSR, slow/mediocre SSAO, poor TAA, no water reactivity), but on the whole, it's just a fantastic-looking game.

(It makes adding chromatic aberration to the launch trailer even more bizarre. Like, why?)

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm really impressed.

They showed the videos, but it didn't really give a good sense of the visuals and the size of the areas. It's a huge leap for Spiders.

There are a few complaints (fuzzy volumetrics—people keep saying film grain—no SSR, slow/mediocre SSAO, poor TAA, no water reactivity), but on the whole, it's just a fantastic-looking game.

(It makes adding chromatic aberration to the launch trailer even more bizarre. Like, why?)
Yeah, they were too focused on releasing a video after video in the marketing phase. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but they neglected the other media in the process, which is screenshots. They actually keep using the same bullshots since the very beginning. Meanwhile, I have dozens of actual screenshots already that can sell the game better than those bullshots.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of disappointed they opted to lock even the magic dodge to only be useful if you have the ring equipped. That means if I switch to my melee weapon to let my magic build up I have to deal with base shitty dodge

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly the base dodge and parry seem good enough that I haven't considered speccing for the magic dodge or the roll.

I'm debating forgoing all magic and putting some points into traps as that kinda seems more interesting to me. I also planned on building towards 2-handed blunt weapons so I could smack fools up with heavy armor, but it kinda seems redundant because I also like guns and those already do a ton of stun and armor damage.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just got 2 handed swords and I'm not really impressed yet. They don't really seem like an upgrade over Sabres. Hope this changes

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the base dodge and parry seem good enough that I haven't considered speccing for the magic dodge or the roll.

I'm debating forgoing all magic and putting some points into traps as that kinda seems more interesting to me. I also planned on building towards 2-handed blunt weapons so I could smack fools up with heavy armor, but it kinda seems redundant because I also like guns and those already do a ton of stun and armor damage.
Base dodge sucks for me. Hit boxes are gigantic and if you're ranged you need to get away from enemies aiming at you asap. If you're melee and can afford to be up close and personal then I guess.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Siori's quest says "Talk to her" as the objective with no indication that I need to advance the story more or wait any time, but talking to her does nothing.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Siori's quest says "Talk to her" as the objective with no indication that I need to advance the story more or wait any time, but talking to her does nothing.

You probably are in the middle of another companion quest that blocks hers from actually starting.

Hopefully they can tweak this a bit to be more clear or work slightly differently.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
You probably are in the middle of another companion quest that blocks hers from actually starting.

Hopefully they can tweak this a bit to be more clear or work slightly differently.

Yes I also have vasco's quest active. I can't tell him to fuck off with it eh? Siora's seems more pressing.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I was planning on going mage, but magic missile still hits like a wet noodle. I'm level 12 and still using the starting ring. I guess I'll have to try and spec into the attribute that lets you equip better rings. It takes 2 points to get the next ring and I already used a point on something else.

Hoping someone can mod in respec crystals because it would be fun to play around with builds.

You can always save before the arena, respec, try the new build, load old save, respecc again etc..

I was planning to do it but I'm having too much fun with mage atm. Storm is a godsend on the arena, thanks to it I could beat it at level 12-13. Freeze all enemies and pick them up one by one

You can get a lvl3 ring at Síora's village. At lvl 12 you should be able to respecc and pick up Storm and all skills up to it, if you picked up some extra skills from the stones in the island (and maybe even without them, I'm lvl 14 and got 4 skills extra after storm)

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
If I give a companion gear with loot chance, will it still affect drops or does it just negate it completely?

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently in San Matheus and I'm struggling to become invested. It all feels so dry. None of the companions are really standing out to me either which is a huge bummer for this sort of game. I'm kind of disappointed every time someone joins the party- Petrus especially. On initial appearance he has the looks and personality of a board.

Oct 25, 2017
Is anybody here playing on Extreme difficulty? After getting accustomed to the combat on Hard I find it quite manageable and since I'm not that far in I'm thinking about starting over on Extreme. That only makes sense if the game doesn't suddenly turn completely unbalanced and unfair tho

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Oof. Magic missile was already kind of underwhelming but all of a sudden the rate at which I can cast it got drastically cut and I have no clue why. used to chain it pretty quick now its like: One cast, wait, One cast, Wait.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
^^^ If you get the skill after ranged shadow impact, it fixes it.

I just want to say punchy teleporting shadow magic hands is as nice as it sounds.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Traps and phials are pretty silly. You can spam them like nothing, and they do pretty significant damage (or apply debuffs).

With the dodge upgrade, you just run up to enemies and spam traps (it does a dodge backward, and then the enemies charge after you and blow up).

The only downside is needing the materials, so you can't go too wild with it all the time. Otherwise, it's just running around and throwing shit on the ground. :)

Base dodge sucks for me. Hit boxes are gigantic and if you're ranged you need to get away from enemies aiming at you asap. If you're melee and can afford to be up close and personal then I guess.
Mage still has a parry.

Just spam it Sekiro-style and you should never get hit (though you can get thrown around a lot).

If I give a companion gear with loot chance, will it still affect drops or does it just negate it completely?
I doubt it does anything, but I don't know anybody could say for sure yet.

Oof. Magic missile was already kind of underwhelming but all of a sudden the rate at which I can cast it got drastically cut and I have no clue why. used to chain it pretty quick now its like: One cast, wait, One cast, Wait.
The upgrade you last took is broken. It will fix itself if you take the next upgrade after it (it restores the original speed).

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Honestly with this game, its less about the dodge and more about the parry-its extremely forgiving and has a long window per press of the button- just pressing O (on PS4) every second is pretty much an invincibility button from all melee and works for a lot of ranged stuff too.

The enemies might stagger and knock you on your butt repeatedly, as you absorb the bigger blows but no damage will occur. Dodge is riskier but more for that "I see that long-winded wind up attacking coming, so I'm going to side step it and punish while the foe can't move for a second to two while they cool down from the attack animation

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'm not far into the game but that first monster wrecked me. I had to cheese him with my pistol. In fact, the combat feels very unforgiving, I might be doing something wrong...

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
^^^ If you get the skill after ranged shadow impact, it fixes it.

Level 10 was a big level. Got the skill you mentioned that fixed my bug and got my mental power up so I could equip a ring that increased my damage X2.5, went from this shitty weakling who did nothing to instantly killing whole groups of enemies.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not far into the game but that first monster wrecked me. I had to cheese him with my pistol. In fact, the combat feels very unforgiving, I might be doing something wrong...
You can parry/block most of its attacks, and you can dodge to the side (most of its attacks only hit the area in front of it, so you can safely dodge to the side and attack from behind, continuing to dance around as it turns to target you).

It's not too big a deal to do poorly here because you'll have party members and better equipment and stats in most fights, but you may want to reload a save (if you have one) and play around with the fight to get more comfortable with the combat. It shouldn't be too tough once you get a handle on the basic mechanics.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I agree - I love this game. Just got a new pistol that absolutely wrecks stuff when combined with 50% extra damage on stasis.

*edit* Jag I love the term Powder Mage you mentioned and she is coming along swimmingly.

unknown.png

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Level 10 was a big level. Got the skill you mentioned that fixed my bug and got my mental power up so I could equip a ring that increased my damage X2.5, went from this shitty weakling who did nothing to instantly killing whole groups of enemies.
Mage keeps getting more powerful as you go. Can cast a mass stasis, then aoe the enemies, or attack them one on one, doing double damage while stunned. I should probably switch to extreme difficulty now, but I'm enjoying the power after starting so weak.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Traps and phials are pretty silly. You can spam them like nothing, and they do pretty significant damage (or apply debuffs).

With the dodge upgrade, you just run up to enemies and spam traps (it does a dodge backward, and then the enemies charge after you and blow up).

The only downside is needing the materials, so you can't go too wild with it all the time. Otherwise, it's just running around and throwing shit on the ground. :)
Yeah I specced into it to see the dodge drop and that seems super good. Materials seem pretty easy to come by but I'd have to put points into Science if I want to do traps and phials consistently.

I think I'll go towards the blades + traps + guns side of tree then for now because it seems the most varied and engaging to play imp. Maybe when I get high enough level I'll respec to the 2H hammer heavy armor guy I originally envisioned playing.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
First impression of Thélème is Roman Catholic Church meets Lord of Light with a smidge of The Healing Church. I detest pretty much everything thing they stand for but it's the most interesting faction, by far, early on. Strong characters too - Father Petrus, Mother Cardinal and Aloysius are fantastic.

I'v always found it more interesting in RPGs to play characters with unique motivations, worldviews, and ideals instead of projecting my own. This De Sardet is a true believer. A talented mage highly blessed with His divine gift...which has already led to some unfortunate decisions being made. But, it's out of my hands. The God of Light must be served.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
You can use all the magic minus lightning dash, and the shadow missiles/impact skills, without a ring. You could use a weapon and heal/shield/stasis/aoe no problem, it's just attributes are tight.
Hmmm, interesting.

How is melee vs magic in this game? Seeing a little disappointment with magic/casters.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
This game is exactly what I needed right now, a big chunky game that I can play on and off until Death Stranding.

Spiders really put their all into this, it plays so well.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm, interesting.

How is melee vs magic in this game? Seeing a little disappointment with magic/casters.

Magic is just (too) slow to get going. You have to just flick shadow missile and use stasis for way too long, and you're out of mana all the time. Later on, you unlock more skills, do more damage, and can make as many magic potions as you'll ever need, so it's good.

Nov 28, 2017
about 4 hours in, traveling from new serene to theleme, and the game feels competent but.. bland? like a solid 7/10. i'll probably finish it, and it'll be a "it's fine." there's good ideas here, some done well, some not.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I specced into it to see the dodge drop and that seems super good. Materials seem pretty easy to come by but I'd have to put points into Science if I want to do traps and phials consistently.

I think I'll go towards the blades + traps + guns side of tree then for now because it seems the most varied and engaging to play imp. Maybe when I get high enough level I'll respec to the 2H hammer heavy armor guy I originally envisioned playing.
Pro-tip: Traps in the arena are dumb.

I just did the entire thing in one sitting doing nothing but throwing down traps (with the trap skills bound to 2-5, you just cycle through the keys and put down a line of traps for as long as you can get away with it) and using the pistol to mop up survivors. Because the traps all stick around, you basically lay down a minefield that the next wave then proceeds to annihilate itself on as soon as you jump down.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pro-tip: Traps in the arena are dumb.

I just did the entire thing in one sitting doing nothing but throwing down traps (with the trap skills bound to 2-5, you just cycle through the keys and put down a line of traps for as long as you can get away with it) and using the pistol to mop up survivors. Because the traps all stick around, you basically lay down a minefield that the next wave then proceeds to annihilate itself on as soon as you jump down.

d...do you know how many times I played through the second to last fight in the Arena

And all this time I could have Solid Snaked it?!?

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Just finished the first batch of Side quests after getting to New Serene.

This game feels like a AA sequel to Dragon Age with a few sensibilities picked up from TW3 with all of the Eurojank you could ask for, and I don't mind that in the slightest.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
I just got a funny, bizarre looking graphical bug where the whole screen, during gameplay, was covered in the overdone DOF effect used on backgrounds during cutscenes, except for my character. It lasted maybe a minute.

Oct 25, 2017
So, my magic bar at some point went from being 3 bars to 2 bars. This seems like a downgrade, and I'm not sure what caused it. Used a respec crystal to see if it was a sideeffect from spending points on guns, but no dice. Any ideas?