• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
What would be the starting class for this kind of build, or does it even matter?

Well, what I did is start as a mage. I wanted to start as a warrior and then learn some magic, but swords are dependant on Agility, and warriors recommended stats are Strength and Endurance.

But I didn't like the Technical archetype, which focuses on Agility, so I started a s a mage and hopefully I can learn how to use swords later on, and dump points in Agility.

I didn't want to spoil myself doing too much digging, but I'm sure you can do that

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
If anyone is interested, here is a Reshade which tones down the brown/sepia effect (works for the PC version of the game):

https://www.nexusmods.com/greedfall/mods/1

1-1567811036-1838522248.jpeg

Courtesy of Sneezes.

I wish we had this mod on consoles. :/

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Couple of tips I discovered after a few hours. Just got to the main island.

If the camera feels "floaty" on PC, turn down sensitivity 2-3 notches.

Take your first skill in lockpicking since there are some chests that require it and i don't believe you go back to the starting town. Nothing major in those chests, but I hate leaving them behind. Alternatively your first companion has a chest with +1 lockpicking on it that you can equip when needed.

You can craft abilities like lockpicking, crafting, science onto gear if you get lucky with drops (ruby, obsidian, etc). Though you still have to select those abilities in order to progress into that tree.

You can pause in combat which pulls up a sub menu to choose actions. I haven't used it much, but it's implemented well.

The first town has lots of fire and ash floating so you may miss the sparkling chests that contain loot as I did initially. They look similar to fire sparkles.

Just found a combat arena in the Coin Guard barracks in the new island. Appears to be a gauntlet of foes for some easy XP. Found it just by exploring the area (you get sent there for a quest).

There is some fast travel and a campfire option to organize your party of 2 others with a shared stash similar to Dragon Age.

Block.Block.Block. That seems to be the key to combat. On PC the right mouse is a quick block depending on what weapon you have. It appears to mitigate all damage and cost no resources to use. The only factor is timing since you can't hold a block, so you just have to time it which is not that hard or twitchy. So far it appears you can block ALL attacks. Haven't fully tested for AOE damage yet.

If you run into doors you don't have to press the door open button.

Last edited:

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
The armor/weapon upgrading is really cool in this game. Instead of your typical sockets that you slot gems into, you choose between individual pieces of gear that physically show up on the item and do different things.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
For someone that put a little more time into the game, is this going to be a case where you find or acquire upgrades through quests and just sell all your gear, or is it worth it to buy an upgrade to your weapon/ring/amulet as soon as you see one in a shop in a new area? Just started the new area after the prologue.

people

Oct 27, 2017
We know anything about how lengthy the game is?
My last save before the ____________ says: (Game time: 2d 6h 22m 46s), so that's ~50+ hours for a 'pretty complete' playthrough. That is with all side-quests (25+), all companion quests, lots of exploring /uncovering the map, and re-visiting those places for a story/quests later. That's on Extreme difficulty and doing things 'thouroughly' and blind, following the main quest(s) and/or lower difficulties will surely be faster.

Last edited:

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
My last save before the ____________ says: (Game time: 2d 6h 22m 46s), so that's ~60 hours for a 'pretty complete' playthrough. That is with all side-quests (25+), all companion quests, lots of exploring /uncovering the map, and re-visiting those places for a story/quests later. That's on Extreme difficulty and doing things 'thouroughly' and blind, following the main quest(s) and/or lower difficulties will surely be faster.

That's cool, so basically 30-40 hours on average for lesser difficulty and general playthrough.

andyp2

Nov 3, 2017
They don't appear to have fixed the Xbox One X 4k issue :-( Great game so far just annoying to have to use a workaround to play the game.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For someone that put a little more time into the game, is this going to be a case where you find or acquire upgrades through quests and just sell all your gear, or is it worth it to buy an upgrade to your weapon/ring/amulet as soon as you see one in a shop in a new area? Just started the new area after the prologue.
Depends on the gear. Some items give bonuses to things so you might want to keep it around if it helps your build

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm missing something, but is there a way to craft/make traps?

Edit: Just figured it out, it can be bought from merchants, it's just not called "trap" but "alchemical mix".

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Played a bit more this morning. Definitely loving the game. Did as much as I can realistically do side mission wise in the starting/main city but I have to head to work.

If I had to have one complaint right now it would be the main complaint I always have early on in these rpgs: I'm a fucking poor boy and I want to buy/upgrade everything.

Besides that I wish the merchants merchandise didn't rotate. I always wonder if it'd be worth it to reload to see what they have next.

I also wish there were hoods in the game. That's more for fashion reasons though lmao.

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
So at the beginning if I dont have science skill or edurance is there any nonconfrontional method to making the guards leave? I found away into the prison but I cant let out the prisoners

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
So at the beginning if I dont have science skill or edurance is there any nonconfrontional method to making the guards leave? I found away into the prison but I cant let out the prisoners

I know this works for the warehouse, not sure for the prison but try
wearing a Naut Outfit, it will have the blue crest on the tooltip, anything that says "Sailor's ___" should count. Then talk to them.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you change difficulty on the fly a? I'm blowing through things too easily and forgot to check before going to work if I could bump it up.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks... there's actually a quote from her on that press release and she seems pretty happy about it.

I'm not sure what to think about that tweet tbh

Could just be English being her 2nd language combined with a combination of feeling proud but sad she's finished working on the game. Might be leaving game dev after it.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Aaaa fuck, I just bought it, Gears 5 disappointed me somewhat so I can focus on something new.

And that's one concerning tweet, it suggests she's leaving, and just after launching what looks to be their most successful game yet. :(

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who is Maximum Games? They are on my US copy alongside Focus Home, but I don't see Spiders anywhere.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Non-native speakers do like to mix up last and latest so it could indeed be the case. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

100%. I live next to france an we all latin language speakers have just one word for last/latest, so I interpreted her last as latest.

But it's the hurt, pain and grief that bothers me. Maybe a french speaker can shwd some light into that.