• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im 2 hours in and maaaaan this is soo soo gooood. Reminds me so much of Risen 1. Which is one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People told me that Elex was worth buying too, so I'm a little sceptical.

But it was. ELEX is one of the best games this gen.

If you didn't like it, then you might not enjoy GreedFall because there's no hope for you.

...Kidding, at least about the hope thing. Seriously though, ELEX and GreedFall are cut from somewhat similar cloths. GreedFall is a lot less hardcore about the deadly world and has a bit more focus, so it's a bit closer to something like Dragon Age in that respect, but they're similar veins of Eurojank.

Oct 28, 2017
But it was. ELEX is one of the best games this gen.

If you didn't like it, then you might not enjoy GreedFall because there's no hope for you.

...Kidding, at least about the hope thing. Seriously though, ELEX and GreedFall are cut from somewhat similar cloths. GreedFall is a lot less hardcore about the deadly world and has a bit more focus, so it's a bit closer to something like Dragon Age in that respect, but they're similar veins of Eurojank.

See, I think Elex was an absolutely awful mess of a game with zero redeeming qualities.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
This is sounding really great. I'll have to wait a few weeks to pick it up since I'll be playing BL3 for the foreseeable future but hopefully a few patches come along in the meantime and iron out whatever bugs there may be.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Cant get over acg's review that starts with putting Gothic next to Technomancer, Bound by Flame and Two Worlds saying how they released in the shadow of better games and have always been lacking.

To put Gothic, the best 3rd person rpg in existence next to boound by flame and technomancer and say it is lacking ...

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
For the achievements it looks like it requires many playthrough? Or maybe save states in certain places? Anyone got a guide?

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
Hadn't heard of this game, but a Eurojank adventure is sounding good to me right about now. Really enjoyed ELEX.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why anyone is really using Elex as a barometer, this is a game using early console Bioware (and the Witcher 2, which Spiders has aped in every game so far) as a model, which is basically the inverse of Pirahna Bytes style games.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
For the achievements, it looks like it requires many playthrough? Or maybe save states in certain places? Anyone got a guide?

You would at least need to make a few anchor saves.

I think it would be this:

1.) Before the coup because I think you get one for having to kill Kurt? I'm guessing based on the lists.
2.) You would have to anchor before something like Siora's final quest, where you can kick her out of the party, so you can get the imperfect ending for not having all your 'friends'.
3.) Definitely before choosing a high king. Each high king is an ending.
4.) Before the final choice.

You can re-trait multiple times so any trophies for kills/skill usage you could get.
You'd also theoretically have to do all of that on Extreme if you wanted to do everything in a single playthrough.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why anyone is really using Elex as a barometer, this is a game using early console Bioware (and the Witcher 2, which Spiders has aped in every game so far) as a model, which is basically the inverse of Pirahna Bytes style games.

It still has a ton in common with ELEX. The stat and skill system is much closer to it than to any Bioware game, with emphasis on freedom and being a touch obtuse, the choice and consequence of quests is closer to PB than BW, especially the ways you do quests, and the faction system is basically identical.

Wednesbury

Apr 10, 2018
I played for about 2 hours and did a bunch of side quests in the opening area. This game is really beautiful at times despite some of its graphical hiccups. I'm obsessed with the fashion and the customization here is top notch. The only thing that's bugging me a little is the movement, it's not as smooth as I'd like and stopping after running or walking quickly feels a little abrupt. The camera also moves sometimes to inconvenient places when I'm trying to look at stuff to loot. But I'm sure I'll get used to it, I actually don't have any issues with the movement in combat. I like the characters so far, though they don't speak as much as I'd like, its only the beginning of the game, so I guess we'll see what happens. I'm really enjoying it so far. Can't wait to jump back in after work tomorrow.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Olivier Deriviere's work is always the absolute best. I'm so happy he scored the game, it's lovely to be wandering and hear such beautiful music.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
The game really needs a demo.. I am so so about buying it and will probably end up skipping it if I cant try it before purchase.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
To the PC players: KB/M or controller?

always mouse and keyboard. this is never a question. Especially that you have a quickbar here where you can map from 1 to 0 items, weapons, etc. Camera control and movement with the mouse, quickbar, inventory management and so on. unless a dev really fumbles the ball in m\kb implementation theres really never an instance when m/kb isnt obscenely superior in every way

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
hmm 50 euros, for some reason i thought this was going to be a 39.99 euro game. Still tempted though, first need to finish control.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
There isn't any way to disable the camera wobble, is there?

I think this is the first game I've seen that has camera wobble in third person (without being caused by a negative status effect). Between that and the camera acceleration (before I turned camera sensitivity all the way down), I'm getting crazy motion sickness. :/ Hopefully they'll add an option to disable it.

Oct 25, 2017
Just hit level 11. This game is really awesome so far. Pure magic build so far, but getting ready to make sink a few points into single-handed blades and guns. Every time I think I'm gonna deviate from pure magic I think about the final unlock and get cold feet.

Dusker

Jul 6, 2018
Can anybody playing the PC version confirm if there's HDR or not?

I've seen some folks commenting there's no HDR on PC but I also saw one of devs confirming HDR is supported on PC yesterday during their reddit AMA.

I've the game preloaded and ready to go, just a few more hours until I'm off work..

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Hmm.. you are right. I think I might do that in the weekend, though is it safe to use the 1 hour refund limit as a "demo?" Or will it have repercussions?

It's 2 hours of playtime (or 2 weeks, whichever is sooner) and the refund can be used for any reason or none at all. Unless you're taking the piss and making refund requests all the time, it's not going to be refused.

The refund policy is here: https://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

You can request a refund for nearly any purchase on Steam—for any reason. Maybe your PC doesn't meet the hardware requirements; maybe you bought a game by mistake; maybe you played the title for an hour and just didn't like it.

It doesn't matter. Valve will, upon request via help.steampowered.com, issue a refund for any reason, if the request is made within the required return period, and, in the case of games, if the title has been played for less than two hours. There are more details below, but even if you fall outside of the refund rules we've described, you can ask for a refund anyway and we'll take a look.

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
Okay, after 2 hours of gameplay

Positives
- The environments are absolutely BEAUTIFUL
- The fashion is more enjoyable than I initially thought
- So far the characters have been pretty great, and the dialogue is enjoyable
- Building your character seems pretty straightforward and simple
- Guns are really fun
- Story seems interesting so far

Neutral
- Combat, it's not bad but I'm never one to enjoy parrying, I like straightforward button mashing personally.

Negatives
- The movement is not as smooth and '' responsive '' as I'd like it to be
- No jumping, I thought it wouldn't bother me, but it kind of does.
- Character creation SUCKED. The biggest bummer as of yet. I'm going to need at least DA:I tier character customization for me to think it's good, maybe my standards are too high. REEEAAALLLLY don't enjoy my cousin having the same hairstyle as me :c

So my initial impression would be around lower 80s. I'm looking forward to the romance aspect, and it might bump it to high 80s or even low 90s depending on how successful it is.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
GamingBolt gave it an 8/10

GreedFall is a welcome arrival in the fantasy RPG space, a space that has been bafflingly uncrowded of late. But it doesn't just impress because of a lack of alternatives. It successfully delivers nearly everything that one would want to see in a game of this genre, and does so in convincing fashion. Fans of western role playing games who have lamented the absence of many true contenders in the genre this generation, prepare yourselves: a new heir to the legacy of BioWare is here at last.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a sucker for RPG. I enjoyed Elex. Love the Gothic series, jank and all. Elex, Risen, Necro, just gimme...

Oni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting really terrible performance on PC with a i54690k and a Gtx1080ti. Really enjoyed what I played so far but the performance is so bad I had to stop :(

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
Nice to see this game review well, seems like it came out of nowhere (only heard about it a few weeks ago myself)

Hopefully I should get it this week (ordered at base.com for £35, but they ran out of day one stock, they've processed it now so hopefully on it's way soon enough)

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Getting really terrible performance on PC with a i54690k and a Gtx1080ti. Really enjoyed what I played so far but the performance is so bad I had to stop :(

its the cpu usage. Im getting 100% use out of an 8400 at times and get hickups. It has some strange behaviour. Standing still and starting to move in an area i get usage from 45% up to 100% on the cpu. Its really weird and unusual performing

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
If anyone is interested, here is a Reshade which tones down the brown/sepia effect (works for the PC version of the game):

https://www.nexusmods.com/greedfall/mods/1

1-1567811036-1838522248.jpeg

Courtesy of Sneezes.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Surprised but happy to see that not many others seem to notice or dislike the repetitive structure of the cities, interiors and enemies. Sounds like everything else is just so good that it overshadows it. It's definitely a game I'll get eventually, just no way right now.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I don't particularly have an interest in the game, but some coworkers were talking about it, saw some videos, it looks pretty good for this type of game.

Actually does look better than dragon age and a lot of other fantasy type games

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

Was this Kotaku review posted? Seems disingenuous to handwring about the story potentially not dealing with the colonial setting properly when you've only played 10 hours of the game and don't know what all the quests are building up to for the ending.

Isn't this just their impressions? Hopefully they play more of it. However, it seems from reading it they are consciously picking all the safe options to maximize the rewards. So who knows.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
How about total freedom in this game? I saw in the Skill Up review that there are invisible walls and that you can't just go anywhere like you can in Witcher 3 and Skyrim (until you get to that eventual end of the map part). This is definitely a bummer.

How about when you see rivers and such, can you just go in and swim or is it like the first Fable where you just can't enter at all?