• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
London
First impressions, game is good and there are multiple ways to resolve quests (disguises are a thing, and you can certainly avoid combat and talk your way out if you want). Only real complaints for now are how the character creation isn't very varied, you've only got a few face options to choose from and you can't edit those presets, there is some noticeable clipping with the outfits and you can see reused assets for random NPCs. Haven't got very far so I can't tell you how choices work yet. I imagine I'll have to pick sides late game.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching somw streams since Im too poor at the moment, female De Sardet has an amazing voice actress.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
First impressions, game is good and there are multiple ways to resolve quests (disguises are a thing, and you can certainly avoid combat and talk your way out if you want). Only real complaints for now are how the character creation isn't very varied, you've only got a few face options to choose from and you can't edit those presets, there is some noticeable clipping with the outfits and you can see reused assets for random NPCs. Haven't got very far so I can't tell you how choices work yet. I imagine I'll have to pick sides late game.
Yeah right now I feel so good since I'm able to lie to people's faces and get away with it lmao.

But I'm telling you right now if I had to choose a side, it sure as hell won't be the hyper Christian guys lmao.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
How is the quality of combat? I see the bioware reference in the thread title, but it looks very actiony so I guess we're not looking at Dragon Age 1. Is it Good action rpg, or is it Dragon age 2 / inquisition (bad action rpg).

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super early spoilers [first boss]

Shit, this game's all about the Wallpaper-worthy screenshots:
nhd1Vl.jpg

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is the quality of combat? I see the bioware reference in the thread title, but it looks very actiony so I guess we're not looking at Dragon Age 1. Is it Good action rpg, or is it Dragon age 2 / inquisition (bad action rpg).

It's kind of Witcher 3, moreso. Or a jankier Assassin's Creed Odyssey with guns. Vampyr is the closest comparison I can give.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
So what's everyone''s overall impression of it so far? I'm right on the fence about buying it since I love Bioware type games, but a bit hesitant all the same.
Still in the starting city, but my impressions so far are:

- While textures are not great, I'm LOVING the visual direction
- Combat is fast and fluid, but not great either, loving the emphasize on dodging and parrying
- LOTS of quests already, and they offer multiple ways to complete
- Lots of cutscenes and conversations, even with unimportant characters in side quests
- Voice acting is great, but the lip-sync left a lot to be desired
- Menu navigation is a bit confusing at times, there's main tab and sub-tab with different buttons
- No shortcut for map as far as I know, and I need to open it quite often
- The game runs great on my modest PC with everything maxed out, but I heard that it gets more demanding later

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
This.

These hot take half way or less reviews grow more and more trite as they roll out.

Finish a game, digest its + and -, then let us know you scathing opinion by all means.

I'm well into the game, and loving it...does have jank though. Each to their own, but know the product before clickbaiting I say.

It's very frustrating to have even further political debate on this rather than the game itself.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Played for about 2 hours and I'm loving it so far. I don't mind the jank at all. Since I'm still at the beginning I will restarted the game with the female protagonist to see which one I like better.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
This.

These hot take half way or less reviews grow more and more trite as they roll out.

Finish a game, digest its + and -, then let us know you scathing opinion by all means.

I'm well into the game, and loving it...does have jank though. Each to their own, but know the product before clickbaiting I say.

This is very clearly an early impression of the game and not a review. I don't see any problems with the article. The author is conveying everything that is good and bad with the game for them, through 10 hours played.

Having not played Greedfall yet, I found the article pretty helpful. I'll probably wait it out and see how impressions continue to play out as folks finish the game here.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Sooo, the stars seem to be aligning this week:
  1. Game pre-ordered and ready on Steam
  2. New laptop arriving today
  3. New monitor arrived yesterday
  4. New keyboard and mouse ready and waiting
  5. New desk on its way
  6. I am feeling sick, *gasp*, must takes several days off
  7. Did I just jinx everything with this list?

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't mind me. Just sitting in the main menu listening to that kickass theme.

Last time I did that was Spider-Man.

There NEEDS to be a PS4 theme that incorporates this music.

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Dang, this looks really interesting. Too poor at the moment though since I just paid of a loan. I was watching streams for a bit and I would of jumped on this in a heartbeat.

Oct 29, 2017
Nice, thanks mate! Will proceed to purchase, then.

It's a nightmare to own a regular PS4 sometimes.
Spirderms, Control, and Metro Exodus come to mind.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
How we roll:

Ten minutes in, I said a tearful goodbye to my ultrarich family and proceeded to take my armorclad bodyguard into the slums to murder some random hobos with my rapier and spells.

Murder in self-defence naturally. Did I mention my family rules here?

Last edited:

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Super interested in this, but I'm a little wary of the extremely typical Warrior/Mage/Rogue Red/Blue/Green archetyping. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Still in the starting city, but my impressions so far are:

- While textures are not great, I'm LOVING the visual direction
- Combat is fast and fluid, but not great either, loving the emphasize on dodging and parrying
- LOTS of quests already, and they offer multiple ways to complete
- Lots of cutscenes and conversations, even with unimportant characters in side quests
- Voice acting is great, but the lip-sync left a lot to be desired
- Menu navigation is a bit confusing at times, there's main tab and sub-tab with different buttons
- No shortcut for map as far as I know, and I need to open it quite often
- The game runs great on my modest PC with everything maxed out, but I heard that it gets more demanding later
m is the shorcut for the map on pc.
Agree with nearly all your points. It's not a graphical powerhouse, but the overall atmosphere is superb.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Whilst I still need a little bit longer with the game to finalise my review, my feelings on the game after a ton of time with it are incredibly strong.

The game is almost a 17th century Dragon Age in many of the ways that made DA:O so great. The writing and quest lines are brilliant, combat is fun and world is intriguing. Some rough edges but overall I've loved my time with it.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I played 6 hours just quit for the night. Random Impressions:

-the game has a serious Risen/Gothic vibe to me for some reason
-I think graphics are great. On PC 4K max settings and I was expecting far less than this
-main theme is godly. Rest of music has been good but way more in the background
Playing mage on normal and you die in very few hits. Imma have to get dodge and block down ASAP.
-skill trees you can pick what you want I looked over it all and eh it just looks ok some good things peppered in with little incremental upgrades to stuff
-movement is a bit loose it's not horrible but a bit janky
-TAKE LOCKPICKING if you don't want to stare at like 2 dozen locked chests in the first few hours. I didn't take it and hate not being able to open them lol
-story seems cool so far not mindblowing but interesting enough to want to see where it goes.
-there are multiple ways to solve things usually which I love
-I wish Run was a toggle not holding button
-character models for main crew seems pretty good my main guy is so hot it's distracting lol. NPCs though oh wow they are lol level. Lip synching is odd looking and everyone's LIPS are also very strange looking maybe in combo with their teeth I don't know I just keep staring at them
Seems to be a nice deep faction system in place which will add another layer to all your actions in the game.

-I have run across several misspelled words, some words not separated by a space, just some grammar issues I hope they get patched up

- the voice acting and text so far though is wonderful - another unexpected surprise.

This game is an easy 8 at this point and I can see myself liking it more the more I play. It's fun, pretty, engrossing, and well I'm just shocked at the step up this is from their last games. It's like nearly Witcher 1-2 to 3 based on the other games of theirs I've played.

If you want a AA fantasy big ole grand adventure, I think this is a safe buy :)

Nov 2, 2017
I've been hearing a bit of buzz here and there but seeing the Spiders logo pop up now has me super wary. Their jank is usually a step too far for me.

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Game sounds so good. I will spend my entire working day lurking in this thread wishing I'd thrown a sicky to stay home and play.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, same here. It's not very clear.

Also, is anyone else's game blurry (PC)? Have it at 1080p with all settings max with AF at 8x and game looks a bit blurred. Can't tell if this is engine or AA related or what else.

Still in opening town if that matters.
It's the filter, or maybe the AA. You can use Reshade to sharpen the IQ.

I've been hearing a bit of buzz here and there but seeing the Spiders logo pop up now has me super wary. Their jank is usually a step too far for me.
I mean, reviews are already out in the wild, you can read and/or watch them and decide.

For me, Bethesda games are far more janky than GreedFall, and yet people would still drove to pre-order. Outside of facial animation, this is generally on par with The Witcher 3 with the alternate movement animation.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, reviews are already out in the wild, you can read and/or watch them and decide.

For me, Bethesda games are far more janky than GreedFall, and yet people would still drove to pre-order. Outside of facial animation, this is generally on par with The Witcher 3 with the alternate movement animation.

I dunno about that, having played Witcher 3 last week it moves a bit smoother than Greedfall.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Really getting more and more interested in this, especially after the Eurogamer review. Any impressions of the PS4 Pro performance? Dunno if I should go for it or on PC.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

lol no it isn't, come on..

Tsubasa

Apr 29, 2018
Greedfall is worth your money. It's complete, the story is really interesting and design is simply brutal. Spiders has the same technicall issues all Focus Home teams have, but you're going to love it.