• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
For those with stuttering issues on PC, the note I was given with the review copy was basically to make sure the in game v sync setting was set to On if you were playing in borderless fullscreen.

I ended up just switching to Fullscreen and had no problems after, but theoretically Borderless + Vsync on should work. They said it was going to be addressed in a patch.

A quick and dirty benchmark: I played at max settings 4k on a 2080TI/9900k-at-5Ghz, averaging something like 55 fps. 70 and up in indoor areas, down to high 40s a the most intense outdoor areas. Turning down shadows or sliding the dynamic resolution down a tad were both quick ways to gain some easy frame back.

With a 2080 Ti @ 3440x1440, I'm only getting like 70fps in the first city and not even at ultra. Had to turn down settings to get the stuttering to stop despite the v-sync settings and it being at Fullscreen.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
such a neat looking game

im saving up my money a bit for fall games but I'll have to make some room for this in the next month or so

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe how this thing snuck up on me like this. I only really heard about it like a month or two ago.

Very happy at the initial reviews. Sounds like Spiders has something special here.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
The game has some of the best quests in a game I have seen in years folks
IN YEARS
RealisticFragrantHerculesbeetle-size_restricted.gif

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Looks amazing on PC. My only issue so far is character movement feels "floaty". Anyone else think so?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Watching Karak's review now.

How strange that the inside of the city it's so empty. Was really expecting a good amount of NPCs doing their daily and nightly things. I believe even Technomancer had NPCs doing their stuff. Also how interiors of some buildings are almost exactly the same is a bummer, reminds me of DA2. But I can live with that.

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
Jesus. I'm going to spend 15 minutes of my 2 hour Steam refund window just listening to the title screen music.

I think we have a keeper.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Watching Karak's review now.

How strange that the inside of the city it's so empty. Was really expecting a good amount of NPCs doing their daily and nightly things. I believe even Technomancer had NPCs doing their stuff. Also how interiors of some buildings are almost exactly the same is a bummer, reminds me of DA2. But I can live with that.

i think it's probably best to go into this with expectations in check. Expecting things like NPC detail or interior room variety to be on the level of a bioware AAA game or similar is probably not realistic.

Even DA2 is impressive for what it is when you consider the entire thing was made in less than a year.

Velociraptom

Product Manager at Focus Home Interactive
Verified
Jan 18, 2018
Yo we are so PUMPED. Cheers for the support everyone, enjoy the game.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
So is there a max level?

By the end of the game (being exhaustive in terms of quests and exploration) I was right around level 40. Companion characters "max out" in terms of learning new talents at 33. I'm not sure if there is an explicit cap, but you won't easily reach it. By the late 30s you pretty much have every useful unlock for your build and are just filling in nodes at that point.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have to say its been ages. AGES since I caught myself thinking before talking in a game. It is crazy how often you think one thing and its another here. They don't even go with the typical tropes of NEWCOMERS ARE BAD all the time either. Very welcoming.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just think, if a small AA developer like Spiders can make this with a purported $5 million budget imagine what Bioware could do if they actually tried.

Frankly devs don't typically start out as AAA powerhouses, I can see Spiders being on the path to great growth and improvement if GreedFall is indicative of their heart and vision.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Karak

Your praise for the quests sounds great to me. Would you say that some of the quests and the stories of them get near Witcher 3's? I've been playing it a lot lately and some quests, especially the characters and the stories in those are just superb.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just think, if a small AA developer like Spiders can make this with a purported $5 million budget imagine what Bioware could do if they actually tried.

Frankly devs don't typically start out as AAA powerhouses, I can see Spiders being on the path to great growth and improvement if GreedFall is indicative of their heart and vision.
I am not 100% sure the addition of money or subtraction of it would matter. I think folks have different talents and I am not sure Bioware currently would have that kind of success.

Quesa

Oct 25, 2017
Just plugging my own review here, don't mind me!

Witcher fans have a lot to like here. Replace "inspired by Polish folklore" with "inspired by Spanish colonialist/first-contact history" and you have a decent idea of what to expect.

Although much of its aesthetic is inspired by the Baroque period of history, many of Greedfall's narrative threads pull from European colonization narratives, and it's a fascinating backdrop for an RPG. Several quests deal with the repercussions of outside nations settling on native lands, and don't shy away from alluding to their harsher implications; natives are regularly captured by Thélème and forced to convert to the teachings of Saint Matheus or die, a surprisingly direct allusion to Spanish conquistadores' subjugation and conversion of Native Americans.

Allusions to real-world racism aren't new for an RPG, but when the allusions hit so close to their real-world inspirations (Thélème armor tends to look Spanish in origin, and the nation even has its own "Inquisition,"), those references become more direct and powerful as a result. Greedfall explores those ideas with some nuance as well; the natives of Teer Fradee are split into multiple clans and settlements, and often don't agree about how to approach settlers. Some villages opt to work in tandem with them, others "convert" overtly to avoid punishment but secretly maintain their native beliefs. The various settlers also have their own motivations, which often means having to play the religious, merchant, and sailor factions against each other.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Just wanted to say I'm 3hours in and loving it so far! A true RPG, and the story is fantastic.

Playing it on hard and it's certainly challenging at the beginning...

Edit: Wanted to add, a nice touch that I loved is that I found a plate armor that I couldn't wear, equiped it on my companion, then in turn I equiped my companion chest armor, wich had +1 Lockpicking, which in turn allowed me to open doors and chests that I couldn't open before. That's the kind of thing that makes this game so great!

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get the Dragon Age comparison, but at least it's closer than Witcher 3 getting compared to Dragon Age. Looking at Skill Up's video right now.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nice title hehe.

I will 99% buy this at the start of October because I don't have time to play it now.Looks good

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lets be honest. The sequels sucked major ass.

One of my biggest gaming disappointments of all time. I couldn't believe how they fucked that up.

Thankfully ELEX was a return to form. Or so I hear. I shamefully still have that game in my backlog.

Yeah, I have it in my backlog, too. I played about an hour but got sidetracked by something else and haven't gone back.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I was going to wait till the end of the week, but it looks like I'm going to pick up my copy tomorrow, seeing the glowing impressions.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Impressions seem very positive from some of the bigger streamers. It looks very similar to a dragon age mixed with Risen type game.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
welp, looks like I'll be playing the game much sooner thanks to one of you lovely angels

2rK4i8b.gif

you're the best, era

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I was expecting customization options to be way more detailed than what was given to me, but I still ended up happy with the way my character looks like in the end, even though I could have spent hours on sliders like I always do, if they existed in the first place like in DA:I.

vyQdyD7.jpg

b7BFaAl.jpg