• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Oh hell yes I was holding off because of Spiders' record but I'm down now. Just need to decide Steam or PS4... Do we know which performs better and will there be a good modding community with this?

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
It's one of those games that I was reviewing and hated that I had nobody else to talk about the game with. Very rare when a game can provide that feeling but I can't wait to see and hear what other people think once they dive in.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So looks like it may end up at around an 8.

Which we all know means it is really a 9 when you take into account the Euro-jank penalty.

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
Nice! I knew I'd like it, but I wasn't expecting it to review well.

Someone should definitely make a review thread.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck I am getting ATROCIOUS stuttering off the bat here

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
About to fire up my copy, but can't decide on controller or mouse + keyboard. This seems like the kind of game that would benefit from m+k, but seeing as it's also being released on consoles, I can see it being built for controller.

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
Watching some gameplay on YouTube, it looks pretty nice. Wasn't expecting to be interested in it, but now...

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
Really liking the game so far after 7 hours on a base PS4. Looks and runs quite well. Can't decide for a build, though. Reminds me of KOTOR and Risen (1), it's great.

This is really making me hesitate even with the positive buzz so far

Risen 1 is one of my least favorite RPGs i've ever played lol

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
So is this another game where PR sent review keys to select outlets first? I was told we wouldn't receive a key until launch day probably. I guess another batch of reviews will roll out post launch.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is really making me hesitate even with the positive buzz so far

Risen 1 is one of my least favorite RPGs i've ever played lol
giphy.gif

Risen 1 is one of the finest exploration and Euro-jank RPGs ever made.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
All companies always choose who to send codes out to. Happens with every single game

Yup, and no matter how big/small you are, nobody is ever able to get codes in early. A lot of people always make the assumption of guaranteed access once you are of a certain size, but thats really not how it works. Also, great review man, still the industry best as far as I'm concerned!

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Please tell me spiders lets us side with the Islanders ..........you can pm me if this is too spoilery

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
For those with stuttering issues on PC, the note I was given with the review copy was basically to make sure the in game v sync setting was set to On if you were playing in borderless fullscreen.

I ended up just switching to Fullscreen and had no problems after, but theoretically Borderless + Vsync on should work. They said it was going to be addressed in a patch.

A quick and dirty benchmark: I played at max settings 4k on a 2080TI/9900k-at-5Ghz, averaging something like 55 fps. 70 and up in indoor areas, down to high 40s a the most intense outdoor areas. Turning down shadows or sliding the dynamic resolution down a tad were both quick ways to gain some easy frame back.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does the game allow you to talk your way out of fights/through quests, or is constant combat expected?
Some not all. In fact you can't count on that and that to me is what they did best. I talk about it in the review. You will trudge off thinking "I GOT THIS" only to most assuredly NOT HAVE THIS

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was optimistic, but healthily skeptical of reviews but... so far...

... it seems we have a major sleeper-hit RPG on our hands. Good job, Spiders!

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
For those with stuttering issues on PC, the note I was given with the review copy was basically to make sure the in game v sync setting was set to On if you were playing in borderless fullscreen.

I ended up just switching to Fullscreen and had no problems after, but theoretically Borderless + Vsync on should work. They said it was going to be addressed in a patch.

A quick and dirty benchmark: I played at max settings 4k on a 2080TI/9900k-at-5Ghz, averaging something like 55 fps. 70 and up in indoor areas, down to high 40s a the most intense outdoor areas. Turning down shadows or sliding the dynamic resolution down a tad were both quick ways to gain some easy frame back.

I'm testing the first area of the city at 4k ultra and I get over 60fps most of the time with some dips in the 50, which are barely noticeable with freesync. If it stays like this, I'd say it's really good.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely was. Too bad the sequels weren't so hot (especially 2).
Lets be honest. The sequels sucked major ass.

One of my biggest gaming disappointments of all time. I couldn't believe how they fucked that up.

Thankfully ELEX was a return to form. Or so I hear. I shamefully still have that game in my backlog.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm testing the first area of the city at 4k ultra and I get over 60fps most of the time with some dips in the 50, which are barely noticeable with freesync. If it stays like this, I'd say it's really good.

I think I got a small but noticeable tick down once I got to the island with all of the foliage likely being a little more taxing. Still runs well. The environmental art and design is downright stunning at times.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Just heard of the game yesterday..? I like open-worlders so I'm eager to read some impressions. Though, I'm not fond of Focus Home, hopefully, they only publishing it.