• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I feel sort of happy and terrified for them because we have essentially folks who are expecting AAA Bioware quality out of this not taking into account its a studio that doesn't have the same work force or budget. Some haven't even played their previous titles like Technomancer which is solid but clearly a AA Eurojank game with a heart of gold. Like it might be good, but context is everything
Well, after showings like Mass Effect Andromeda, I think Greedfall might be viewed quite favorably by jaded Bioware fans.

I'm not expecting triple-A Bioware... but I don't even expect that of Bioware themselves anymore. If it can scratch that same itch though, regardless of budget, I think fans of those old games should be very happy and pretty forgiving of the rougher, less polished elements.

I mean, classic Bioware was the same way. For every great moment in Mass Effect, there was a slow elevator or inventory hassle. For every Dragon Age story beat that thrilled, there was a Fade. But the good far outweighed the bad to make them great experiences.

If Greedfall nails what's important, I'll be happy. I could already point out tiny things from the trailers that bug me (for some reason, the big one for me is the lack of water deformation when you run through wet areas), but it's the combat, story choices, and quest variety that's promised that has piqued my interest.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Cant wait. Early impressions sounds good and looks like the console versions are not shit. Atleast the pro version

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I feel sort of happy and terrified for them because we have essentially folks who are expecting AAA Bioware quality out of this not taking into account its a studio that doesn't have the same work force or budget. Some haven't even played their previous titles like Technomancer which is solid but clearly a AA Eurojank game with a heart of gold. Like it might be good, but context is everything

I'm expecting an experience more similar to if I would go back and play KOTOR or Jade Empire for the first time today, with similar polish and combat jank.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting an experience more similar to if I would go back and play KOTOR or Jade Empire for the first time today, with similar polish and combat jank.
Honestly probably not too far off. The writing and world building in technomancer was decently on point, particularly setting up the system and lore. The issue stemmed more from the voice acting, and the combat needed some work as it was punishing hard early on.

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah it's gonna be interesting. I think about this every time someone asks about the cape physics... Like it's awesome that Spiders has created something that is really impressing people and prompting comparisons with megabudget blockbuster RPGs. But gamers can be demanding folks. If people come into this game expecting The Witcher 4 it's going to be interesting times!

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's gonna be interesting. I think about this every time someone asks about the cape physics... Like it's awesome that Spiders has created something that is really impressing people and prompting comparisons with megabudget blockbuster RPGs. But gamers can be demanding folks. If people come into this game expecting The Witcher 4 it's going to be interesting times!
Unrelated but you talking about the cape physics with a name dealing with aerodynamics made my day lmao

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hoping they finally nailed it out of the park but feeling it in my gut this is gonna be another Bound by Flame which also had some "People that don't play Eurojank" hype and then it actually came out and everyone forgot it existed 2 weeks later.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping they finally nailed it out of the park but feeling it in my gut this is gonna be another Bound by Flame which also had some "People that don't play Eurojank" hype and then it actually came out and everyone forgot it existed 2 weeks later.
Bound By Flame could just as easily be a different beast because if I recall correctly that came out and attracted the Dark Souls crowd. And so many fans of Dark Souls can't ever appreciate anything subpar when compared to Souls quality.

That's not to say I found the game particularly amazing but seeing the way they improve from title to title has been a treat

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Gears 5 today for XGPU and on the 10th if you don't have XGPU
Borderlands 3 on the 13th
MHW Iceborne today
NBA2K20 today

Don't see any of those audiences with a huge overlap with this. If this title does well it'll be through word of mouth and over a period of time as opposed to aaa titles that are more front loaded in sales.

Many of us hadn't even heard of this game until recently.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
This looks really promising but will wait on reviews, make or break for me is whether world exploration is rewarding, I just can't do 40+ hr games anymore without a well crafted world with a wealth of unique locations to discover. Reading earlier this has zones similar to Inquisition has me a bit wary but I'm still optimistic, the combat looks a lot more fun than the former so that's already a plus.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that we get more games like this (or even sequels) from Spiders if this turns out well. This game fits neatly in my wife's rather narrow gaming niche.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
The chromatic aberration, on the other hand ... 🤢
Yeah, that better not have made its way into the game.

Other than that, a very fine trailer.

I feel sort of happy and terrified for them because we have essentially folks who are expecting AAA Bioware quality out of this not taking into account its a studio that doesn't have the same work force or budget.
After their last couple of games, I'm not sure the gulf in quality is large enough anymore that Spiders can't eke out a win here.

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
Gave in and pre-ordered on Steam. Still going to read reviews before I cross the 2-hour playtime threshold.

That should be enough to decide whether or not it's worth supporting the devs at full price or refunding and picking it up later down the road.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Gave in and pre-ordered on Steam. Still going to read reviews before I cross the 2-hour playtime threshold.

That should be enough to decide whether or not it's worth supporting the devs at full price or refunding and picking it up later down the road.
Yup, that's my plan as well. There's no risk for pre-ordering games on Steam, we can even try it for 2 hours before deciding.

andyp2

Nov 3, 2017
Got my xbox one x copy delivered today, game won't boot passed the focus logo, hangs then turns console off... Awesome start.

andyp2

Nov 3, 2017
Fixed it, nothing to do with patch. Reinstalled, moved from external storage and redownloaded patch. All working.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fixed it, nothing to do with patch. Reinstalled, moved from external storage and redownloaded patch. All working.
Strangely enough in the last 5-6 games I have been playing or reviewing on the XboX this has been happening. Like something goes wrong with the install itself. It is troublesome for sure

Kratos2013

Jan 25, 2018
Trailer looks great. Preordered yesterday; looking forward to release. Best wishes Spiders. We need more single player stories games like this.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Hopefully this will be the breakthrough game for Spiders, and hopefully their contract with Focus Home allows them to retain some money from the game's sales if it's a success, so that they would be able to grow. We desperately need a studio to fill the Bioware-shaped hole.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this will be the breakthrough game for Spiders, and hopefully their contract with Focus Home allows them to retain some money form the game's sales if it's a success, so that they would be able to grow. We desperately need a studio to fill the Bioware-shaped hole.
Of course they'll get royalties (assuming their game makes more than the 5 million they got in advance).

However, they were recently acquired, so they're no longer an independent studio (for better or worse). Their future (and funding) is tied to the company that bought them, unless they manage to buy themselves back at some point.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Of course they'll get royalties (assuming their game makes more than the 5 million they got in advance).
Well, there are cases, like the Fallout: New Vegas case, when there are bullshit clauses in the developer-publisher contract which severely limit royalties; hopefully, it's not the case here.

However, they were recently acquired, so they're no longer an independent studio (for better or worse). Their future (and funding) is tied to the company that bought them, unless they manage to buy themselves back at some point.
Yeah, I know about that, this is certainly worrying. Still, if Greedfall is a major success, BigBen might be motivated to give Spiders a cart blanche and some serious funding for their next project. Or, in the best case, Spiders might manage to buy themselves back at some point. I guess we'll see.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
crazy that a game by spiders is receiving this much hype. their games are...rough.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Initial impressions (x) are really positive for me.

-High production values. Dialogue and voice acting is surprisingly good
-Proper RPG with huge scope for different play styles and customisation
-Combat takes a bit of getting used to but after a couple of hours I have got the hang of it. It seems like there is a lot of scope to mastering it
-Really enjoying the story and the characters
-Runs well on X. Seems like it is 4K? It is very sharp. HDR support is also there. Only complaint is there is very minor screen tear at times.

Overall I'm impressed. Can see myself putting a huge amount of time into this. Comes recommended if you like action RPGs with a good story and lots of choices and customisation.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Tearing? Oh god please no. Im gonna play it on pro tho.

Hows the HDR implementation?

andyp2

Nov 3, 2017
Turns out my reinstall on the X was a temp fix as it crashed when I returned. It seems to be a 4k issue as it works great if you untick 4k for initial load and main menu, then retick it in game. Going back to the games main menu with 4k ticked causes xbox to crash. This will need a patch.

There is a post on the focus website with others detailing this issue so it ain't just me.

ChaosSmurf

GLHF
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Horsham, United Kingdom
Turns out my reinstall on the X was a temp fix as it crashed when I returned. It seems to be a 4k issue as it works great if you untick 4k for initial load and main menu, then retick it in game. Going back to the games main menu with 4k ticked causes xbox to crash. This will need a patch.

There is a post on the focus website with others detailing this issue so it ain't just me.
Got a message from QA this morning that they're working on this. No ETA (beyond soon), but hopefully these workarounds continue to be successful for now.