• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Haven't really been a fan of any of their previous games so I'm not in the hype train, but that trailer was good.

Also, I'm almost certain the soldier at 1:13 has the same voice actor as Caleb Menge in The Witcher 3. Really distinctive voice.
He does, I've replayed TW3 so many times that I instantly recognized the voice.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
tumblr_ornej58ln21s3eqy0o2_r1_500.gif

The wait is killing me...

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say, having seen native people on tumblr criticise this game, I'll be interested to see what the reviewers make of the colonialism aspect.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I have to say, having seen native people on tumblr criticise this game, I'll be interested to see what the reviewers make of the colonialism aspect.
What native, American? I thought this is fantasy.

Anyway, we play the role of the diplomate in this game. So it's our job to make sure that the colonist and native can coexist peacefully.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As a native man, I'm interested to see the final product before passing any sort of judgment on how they handle the colonial aspect, because it's made clear that xenophobia, racism, and colonialism are big themes of this game, but that doesn't mean it supports the history that inspired it.

Oct 25, 2017
Pre-ordered through Greenmangaming. Fingers crossed they get their keys before launch.

Really eager and looking forward to this game.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
The difference is that some people have this weird expectation that every game under the sun is going to be just given to them and that's all the value they bring to these discussion threads. Instead of generating hype it just sours them with give me free stuff! It just goes against the grain, for me in any case.

1. Gamepass isn't free.

2. Given that Gears launched on gamepass, it's a fair question.

And 3. Are you their fucking accountant or something? Why the moral posturing at such an innocuous question?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
What native, American? I thought this is fantasy.

Anyway, we play the role of the diplomate in this game. So it's our job to make sure that the colonist and native can coexist peacefully.
It being fantasy doesn't give it a free pass on the history it clearly mirrors in certain ways. Touchy subject to address no matter what.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

They'll ignore it, as western/white game reviewers always do. Doesn't matter how blatantly disgusting and disrespectful the take on colonialism and conquest is.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They'll ignore it, as western/white game reviewers always do. Doesn't matter how blatantly disgusting and disrespectful the take on colonialism and conquest is.

The writer is acutely aware of the dynamics of the storyline and why It's sensitive material. It's not like they "lol what about colonizers, that was an awesome time right?"

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
From everything I've seen of this it's very likely to allow you to work towards a conclusion of your choosing. Be that siding with the natives of Teer Fradee and leaving your colonising nation to suffer its self inflicted fate. Or quite the opposite and most certainly something in between depending which of several factions your end up working with. It has been mentioned that there isn't a good or bad ending, with positive and negatives either way.

I definitely think this is going to try and address sensitive subjects with the thoughtful discourse they require. But hey, I'll be ready to criticise it if it doesn't.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, I can't wait for this game. Aesthetically it's hitting every single right button for me, I just hope gameplay is up to the task.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta admit, that was a good trailer. If this reviews well I could definitely see myself picking this up

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome trailer.

Feels like the game has improved the more and more I see of it, so I can't wait for next week.

Oct 25, 2017
Really awesome trailer, wow!

Please let us disable the awful chromatic aberration, though. It's ruining the beautiful atmospheric effects.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I have my reservations bc of the team behind it but I really really really hope it turns out to be good

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I don't mind if reviews aren't until release if they don't mind me waiting for reviews. Hope this is awesome.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
It's like a throwback to another time.

Go Greedfall.

There's gotta be a Witcher 1 before a Witcher 3.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I was NOT expecting to spend money on a game and a dev i only knew it existed since last week. WTF. Seriously sleeper hit. Waiting for reviews, but it looks great.
Teaching Bioware how to make Bioware games.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Oh sad, what are the implications?

I am not sure whether Spiders own the IPs for their games, or if Focus does. I am presuming the latter, because that's how it normally works.

We are yet to see how much money BigBen is willing to invest in RPGs- I primarily know them for publishing FrogWares' Sherlock Holmes games (and most recently, The Sinking City).

They also bought Cyanide (another developer that used to be associated with Focus), and their next game, "Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory" is due out next year. I'm guessing that'll be an indication of how serious BigBen is about getting into the RPG game.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They mentioned that colonialism is part of the narrative, but not the entire conflict.
"We're brought to a new land, to discover a new civilization connected with nature and we have to investigate a disease that ravages the continent we came from. We're a mercant nation and it seems that in this new land that has been discovered by navigators there is a possibility to find a cure."

This motivation, that you're trying to find a cure to a disease, is something that ultimately does something to move the game away from a theme of colonialism. You're not necessarily driven by greed (in spite of the title). When the game was first shown, many thought it would have more of colonialist theme to it.

"People are not just settling on this island to steal gold from people who live there", explains Jacq. "They had to find a solution, because the old continent is dying. So there's all that constant clock ticking for the player, will you be able to find the cure, will you be able to save the old continent."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope that this game is going to be successful.

It will be. Remember Focus Home games dont need to have alot of sales to be successful because of the budget. And this game is generating.very good hype pre launch. Unless the game is really broken or really bad.
It will be a success.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Please be fucking good!!
I feel sort of happy and terrified for them because we have essentially folks who are expecting AAA Bioware quality out of this not taking into account its a studio that doesn't have the same work force or budget. Some haven't even played their previous titles like Technomancer which is solid but clearly a AA Eurojank game with a heart of gold. Like it might be good, but context is everything