• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

5169575838.jpg

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's a nice looking 2 euro coin. Wouldn't mind coming across that one at all.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Many historians consider the Battle of Thermopylae to be one of the most important battles in world history, arguing that if the Greeks had lost, the probable capture of Greece by the Persians would have thwarted the development of Greek — and subsequently European — civilisation, as most modern western civilisation, such as philosophy, science, personal freedom and democracy, has its roots in the Ancient Greek world.

Okay, who the fuck still believe that shit outside right wing "European heritage" people?

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
I'm so having my dad pick up one of these for me from the national bank as soon as they are out.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, who the fuck still believe that shit outside right wing "European heritage" people?

I don't know what the outcome would have been but arguing either side of a big butterfly effect is crazy. If Gavrillo Princip had twisted his ankle that morning we might not have split the atom.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, I'd rather have a coin that talks about the present than one that celebrate a battle fought by people who are long gone and have no direct connection with anyone in the present.
The phrase on the Brexit 50p coin is taken from the inaugural address of Thomas Jefferson. It's no more related to Brexit than the image of a Spartan helmet is to modern Greece.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Is it really a good idea commemorating the death of 20.000 current day iranians?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know what the outcome would have been but arguing either side of a big butterfly effect is crazy. If Gavrillo Princip had twisted his ankle that morning we might not have split the atom.
We do know what would have happened had the Persians won, because you know, they did.
Though honestly, my bigger issue is with this "defenders of reason, science and western civilization" crap that quote was pushing.
By no measure that isn't racist were the Persian empire less civilized or scientifically advanced than Sparta.

The "personal freedom" shit is extra funny since slavery was abolished in the Persian empire but not in Greece at the time.

The funny thing is that they did lose the battle.
The Persians burned Athens after it too.
But something something, 300.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine living under the Archaemenid Empire would have been preferable for 90% of the population.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
The - certainly fewer - persian soldiers who died at the battle are no more current day iranians than the spartan soldiers are current day greeks. We build these connection with the distant past but that's all they are, something that we build. Something artificial.

Constructed connections can still have very real consequences. I mean, we're in here talking about Greeks leveraging the Spartan legacy as a point of national pride.

Not that it necessarily means that this reflects on modern day Iranians, but people identifying with and relitigating ancient conflicts does happen.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Constructed connections can still have very real consequences. I mean, we're in here talking about Greeks leveraging the Spartan legacy as a point of national pride.

Not that it necessarily means that this reflects on modern day Iranians, but people identifying with and relitigating ancient conflicts does happen.

Oh yeah, for sure. The past is often used in service of the present, and personally I think it's more of a shackle than anything. And it can be something much worse.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
euro commemorative coin is a good business. Its cheap to invest in (1 and 2 euros per coin) and easy to store and go up in value fast.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We do know what would have happened had the Persians won, because you know, they did.
Though honestly, my bigger issue is with this "defenders of reason, science and western civilization" crap that quote was pushing.
By no measure that isn't racist were the Persian empire less civilized or scientifically advanced than Sparta.

The "personal freedom" shit is extra funny since slavery was abolished in the Persian empire but not in Greece at the time.

The Persians burned Athens after it too.
But something something, 300.

Those alabaster skinned ivory hued heroes slowed down Persia enough to allow Jesus to make his escape to London.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Those alabaster skinned ivory hued heroes slowed down Persia enough to allow Jesus to make his escape to London.
Leonidas crawled so Jesus could walk.
Jesus walked to Kanye could fly.
Kanye flew so he could get a free water bottle.

The unbroken chain of freedom, liberty and western civilization.