• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 20, 2017
aimT-aQOiUl5wDqQ3BEl3ToylQrqPKFnDTWxuJqOwPM.jpg

Someone posted this in the other thread and it sums up how every single character was utterly useless both good guys and villains
Fallout 3 is a terribly written story when it comes to plot contrivances (having you be captured, having you sacrifice yourself prior to the dlc retcon), but the stakes of conflict do make sense- as long as you're familiar with the plot of Fallout 2. The usual MO of the enclave is to genocide everyone in the wasteland who isn't 'pure'; Col. Autumn is an outlier in the organization. The brotherhood of steel knew this from fallout 2. It's not a stretch that James, who worked extensively with the brotherhood, would have known this as well (when the enclave shows up, he doesn't question the fact they exist, just the fact they're present at the purifier). James and the Brotherhood immediately trying to stop the Enclave from seizing the purifier makes sense; they're assuming that they know the Enclave's real intentions (about which they are more or less correct; at that point in the game the President-who wants to do the usual genocide- still has control over the enclave).

May 22, 2018
Jogurt from Shining Force. As a kid I put time into him thinking he would evolve into something crazy. Nope. Still just a 1 hp, 1 tile move, 1 attack damage bag of useless shit. I was too young and naive to recognize the troll.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Miles "Tails" Prower

He's just tags along in Sonic 2.

I'm sure you're perfectly cool in person, but man, this ranks among the worst takes I've *ever* seen on Era. Tails defeats Eggman and saves Station Square singlehandedly in Sonic Adventure and is the smartest character in the series alongside Eggman himself.

Dude's always inventing useful stuff and tuning up the Tornado for Sonic, and he can airlift Sonic in various games to get him to places Sonic otherwise couldn't reach. Hell, Tails is the only reason Sonic is even able to fight Eggman at all in Sonic 3's Marble Garden.

In the games he's playable, he can explore parts of levels Sonic can only dream of and generally has an easier time because of his flight ability, and he's mostly able to keep up with Sonic speed-wise too (to a point).

Tails is one of the best, most justifiably useful and skilled best friends/sidekicks/player twos *ever*.

Yes, Sonic Forces randomly ignores most of this and suddenly turns him into a sniveling coward out of nowhere, but we don't talk about Forces because it's Forces.

Last edited:

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
DQXI main character has a lots of points worth of absolutely nothing, for instance that super power he learns in limbo to defeat the main antagonist and then he never uses it nor it's mentioned ever again. the chained power with his grandpa? also useless.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
aimT-aQOiUl5wDqQ3BEl3ToylQrqPKFnDTWxuJqOwPM.jpg

Someone posted this in the other thread and it sums up how every single character was utterly useless both good guys and villains

At least they "fixed" that in the Broken Steel DLC, but as I recall a few people still get on your case about not killing yourself and sending Fawkes, RL-3 or Charon in instead (with literally no drawback).

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure you're perfectly cool in person, but man, this ranks among the worst takes I've *ever* seen on Era. Tails defeats Eggman and saves Station Square singlehandedly in Sonic Adventure and is the smartest character in the series alongside Eggman himself.

Dude's always inventing useful stuff and tuning up the Tornado for Sonic, and he can airlift Sonic in various games to get him to places Sonic otherwise couldn't reach. Hell, Tails is the only reason Sonic is even able to fight Eggman at all in Sonic 3's Marble Garden.

In the games he's playable, he can explore parts of levels Sonic can only dream of and generally has an easier time because of his flight ability, and he's mostly able to keep up with Sonic speed-wise too (to a point).

Tails is one of the best, most justifiably useful and skilled best friends/sidekicks/player twos *ever*.

Yes, Sonic Forces randomly ignores most of this and suddenly turns him into a sniveling coward out of nowhere, but we don't talk about Forces because it's Forces.
I'm sure he's helpful in other games. I specifically said in Sonic 2 and did not mean the entire franchise.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Silver the hedgehog is a character since his debut , has never actually been useful and has piggypacked of the contributions, both in game and popularity wise of better characters. I Wont hold sonic forces against him, everyone in that game including sonic is fucking useless. But even in the comic his contributions come off kind of nothing in the grand scheme of things.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Irvine in FF8 fits the bill. Dude understood everything that was going on the whole time and doesn't tell any of you damaged idiots.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
DQXI main character has a lots of points worth of absolutely nothing, for instance that super power he learns in limbo to defeat the main antagonist and then he never uses it nor it's mentioned ever again. the chained power with his grandpa? also useless.
The moves you learn at that point stop being useful gameplay wise after awhile, but as a character it's kind of the point that he starts out very useless and need of constant help, but by the end of the game all of his hardships and things he's learned have built him into a very capable hero.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I mean... there's a very good reason for that linked to what the other poster mentioned...

it's been decades and Irvine still gets shit for that moment lmao.
I know. But he had one job. If he couldn't do it for personal resons, he should have said so, so they could have gotten another sniper.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
The moves you learn at that point stop being useful gameplay wise after awhile, but as a character it's kind of the point that he starts out very useless and need of constant help, but by the end of the game all of his hardships and things he's learned have built him into a very capable hero.

Oh I totally understand the skill losing its worth as you progress, what I did not understand is why they did a whole story around that skill and then they never used it. I was led to believe that they'll use that skill in a story fashion but nope, nothing else happens with it.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of a very few instances The Fifth Fleet in MHW just leaves you to fight everything on your own and shows up when it's dead to tell you good job(Palico aside).
5a35d8ed152c05154d3d0bcd4531e088.jpg

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm sure he's helpful in other games. I specifically said in Sonic 2 and did not mean the entire franchise.

Fair enough, but even if we're only talking about Sonic 2, without Tails there Sonic could never have even made it to Wing Fortress and ultimately the Death Egg to defeat Eggman and save the world. Even if you play as Sonic alone, Tails swoops in (literally) to fly him to Eggman's airborne battleship because there's no other way Sonic could have gotten there.

Also, Sonic 2 is just one of a few games where Tails literally cannot die if a second player controls them, which means free boss wins if the Sonic player can avoid getting hit/keep a ring if they do.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
Does Van ever do something in XII itself that's useful? I never beat it but I just recall him being there. Penelo I think I can some cool dagger or something so shecwascat least useful in combat.

Someone didn't play KH3.
Played it to completion that does not negate how fucking useless he is in critical mode in almost half a dozen other games.

Nice try tho

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
87887368_644422143020030_4511289243509479013_n.jpg

Her and her fricking waking sands.

I just finished the Heavensward MSQ (on the bridge to stormblood ones now) and it still annoys me all these hours of story later how she basically never demonstrated any value during ARR. All the other Scions did *something* of value at some point in ARR and I had figured she could do something big besides handing out quests and just sorta being there, but nope. Her grand emotional moment fell flat with me cause she never really achieved anything to that point.

Also her outfit is terrible.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
lmao that's dumb, using a mode that's supposed to be really challenging to gauge how useful an AI companion is.
Lemme spell this out for you champ.

there are two main AI companions in KH games. Donald is one of them. Nowhere did I mention the other. Which means he seems pretty useful in the very same modes compared to Donald.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
This is simply not true.

Raiden is by far the most important character in the series in terms of impact to the story.

He is a key character in all modern MK games.
His key value in the story is constantly fucking things up, though.

His most significant character growth came in MK11 when he realized how not to fuck things up, and it's only because the villain told him how he kept fucking up.

Oct 27, 2017
This is simply not true.

Raiden is by far the most important character in the series in terms of impact to the story.

He is a key character in all modern MK games.
Of course he is, he's not useless in that sense, but in the sense of how his conga line of bad decisions, misunderstandings and general incompetences in MK9 led to him obliterating the destined hero on accident.

MKX was him collapsing under the weight of all of his fuckups.

For what it's worth I actually kind of like it as a character arc, it's interesting to portray a god that way.

I was also being lighthearted so I wouldn't take it too much to heart.

Ovaryactor

Nov 20, 2018
While we're here, please allow me make a case for why you should reconsider your position.

(For Mitsurugi in particular it's worth noting that there's probably historical context informing this. On the general level, Soul Edge is set in the end of the period wherein samurai actually had things to do, so Mitsurugi's complete uselessness is a precursor to how the samurai will be completely useless drains on society in coming years. More specifically, he's based off of Miyamoto Musashi, who was fairly young when the samurai lost their value and ended up failing to impress the shogunate with his craft, which was really the only thing you could really do with it at that point. He retired as a painter.)

Hehe, it's funny but your post has further solidified my love for Mitsurugi!

I didn't know his backstory and as a kid I was entranced by his part in the opening Of Soul Calibur II where he's charging a line of riflemen on the water by hopping from boat to boat. But, as someone who doesn't find the typical caricature of a video game persona to be that interesting, the face he was based off of such an interesting slice of history, and that he isn't a typical fighting game shonen success, makes it all the more appealing.

Great thread, based on all the responses, too.

OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I went looking for the Soulcalibur timeline because I was pretty sure I got the year of Soul Edge's setting wrong. It doesn't even mention Mitsurugi on it as far as I can see:

latest

Last edited:

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USgJI3P.png

Here is Gordon from FFII, who is the Proto-Edward, but extra useless because he is a guest character in FF2 that joins after Josef. You can power him up, but that's a lot of time that could be better spent not using Gordon.

But at least he's not a Dragoon that can't jump, I suppose.

Boy, going through Heavensward and Stormblood again sure did reveal how much I preferred her before The Reveal.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think he gets too much hate.

Yes he leaves everyone behind at the start, but he also gives you the rocket launcher to defeat the Tyrant. Chris/Jill would have died without his help at the end.

Yeah I agree. Brad as a character fascinates me and I think people are too quick to give him shit. Probably my favourite non main character in the series.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
His key value in the story is constantly fucking things up, though.

His most significant character growth came in MK11 when he realized how not to fuck things up, and it's only because the villain told him how he kept fucking up.
Of course he is, he's not useless in that sense, but in the sense of how his conga line of bad decisions, misunderstandings and general incompetences in MK9 led to him obliterating the destined hero on accident.

MKX was him collapsing under the weight of all of his fuckups.

For what it's worth I actually kind of like it as a character arc, it's interesting to portray a god that way.

I was also being lighthearted so I wouldn't take it too much to heart.

It really isn't.

In the original timeline, Armageddon happens, everyone dies(in all realms). In the altered timeline, he manage to secure a future, a whole new generation is born(Kombat kids), there are some bad events and casualties, but he did his best given the situation. Every realm destroyed vs some casualties here and there, which is better?

In 11, he sacrificed his own godhood to stop Kronika, Raiden always did what he could, some misfires are bound to happen, specially when you are dealing with ancient gods and multidimensional threats at every turn.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Minfilia's arc gets more frustrating before eventually paying off well.
Lyse will never make sense as the figurehead of the resistance but that made more room for Alisaie so whatever.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
OTIS WASHINGTON (DEAD RISING)
annoying-chars02.jpg

Easily the most frustrating side character in a game and I've struggled through Ashley (RE4) and Sheva (RE6). He always called you at the most inopportune time.

Like seriously Otis, I'm trying to fight a dual mini-chainsaw wielding psycho clown with a stick, I'm all out of orange juice and I have a group of idiots following me to the safe house. I don't need to hear about that item that is located at the other end of the mall right now.