• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Greatest trilogies in Gaming?

• Metal Gear Solid Trilogy

• Metroid Prime Trilogy

• Arkham Rocksteady Trilogy

• Mass Effect Trilogy

• Dark Souls Trilogy

• Halo Trilogy

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Gotta be Mass Effect. It's the only trilogy I can think of where each game is consistently good and each one has things that make it better and unique from the others. Very close follow-up in Dragon Age, but I just can't do Inquisition.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
ME easily. MGS is my favorite series but without 4 there's so much left unresolved I can't look at 1-3 as a complete trilogy.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Halo and Mass Effect for me.

Halo 3 and Mass Effect 1 are my favourite games of all time, and they launched within weeks of eachother. The 360's best time.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
$_57.JPG
How was this not a poll option lol

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Curious why Mario and Sonic are absent. Those are the video game trilogies. GTA as well.

Metal Gear, Mass Effect and Metroid are all great picks though.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Halo 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 are pretty mediocre games

So of the choices Metroid? But then Echoes isn't great either.

In terms of consistent quality across 3 games, I guess Gears 1-3? Or the Ratchet and Clank Future Trilogy.

Older games probably Sonic 1-3

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
If you're just putting any 3 games in a series on that list, Uncharted 2-4 is better than any of those. And BioShock is better than all of those as well.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Despite Zero Time Dilemma, it's still Zero Escape. I love the series as a whole even if it has rough spots.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
It's Utawarerumono for me, then Ace Attorney.

Wish Zero Escape could be my second pick, but not when Zero Time Dilemma shits the bed in the final act.
God, I still can't believe how bad it was at the end. The first two games are immaculate and I even enjoyed most of the third one..but then it just falls off a cliff.

Zutter

Oct 19, 2018
I'm gonna cheat and say Dishonored. Death of the Outsider is basically a full game anyway.

also the Zero Escape games!

Apr 21, 2018
Out of the ones listed, Prime easily. It's a near-perfect trilogy, the only real blemish being a minor key hunt in each game.

Oh they also run at perfect 60fps.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
I know people like to dunk on IV but to be honest I don't know how on earth they could've done a follow-up to III without starting over and heading in a different direction. III feels like a definitive statement on that style of game.
The same way Age of Empires II became immortal, and the way the HoMMIII community is evolving the game anyway - endless expansion packs!

...which probably wouldn't have saved New World Computing from imploding, alas.

TechMetalRules

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 11, 2019
United States
I know they don't count yet, but I'm hoping to count Bayonetta and No More Heroes as great trilogies someday.

Street Fighter III:
-New Generation
-Double Impact
-Third Strike

Although obviously similar, each SFIII game offers a unique presentation. As a casual, I find each one charming in their own way, which makes me enjoy playing all of them!

I'm also gonna go out on a limb and say the Modern Warfare trilogy of campaigns would definitely be one of my favorites. I'd love to see them remake the third like they've done we the first two and package the campaigns as a collection.

Last edited:

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Rollercoaster Tycoon Trilogy

I played all 3 and I heavily enjoy all 3, even to this day. They never get old.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Mgs where every have in trilogy is better than last.
Crash same as above.

Finally how I think it's the best of them all

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Sonic 1, 2, 3&Knuckles wins the poll by ease! What do you mean it is not an option?

Ok then, Shining Force 3 then? :(

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing through the BioShock games for the first time (~5 hrs into B2), and I'm having a blast so far. Loved so much about the first game, but what's really surprising me is that I'm actually kinda enjoying its sequel even more... ? Maybe I just talked to the wrong people, because my perception of things was that the sequel was the weakest of the trilogy. I know Infinite has had some pushback since its release, but hopefully it can still hang w/ what I've played so far.

Anyway, yeah... really amazing games so far. I'll hold off on voting until the closing credits of Burial at Sea ;)

FZed

Dec 30, 2019
AC Ezio Trilogy (AC2/Bortherhood/Revelations)

Also best opening ever

(short version)

Jul 24, 2018
Persona 3-5, Metroid Prime and the Ace Attorney trilogy. have a feeling the Hitman trilogy is gonna be one of the best soon too.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I really love the original Ratchet and Clank trilogy. Uncharted too, especially if we can take 2-4 instead of 1-3 :)

Shyranui

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I don't care what anyone says, the Jak & Daxter tirlogy is one of my favs of all time. FIrst one is a classic, the 2nd one is an awesome game and the 3rd is even better.

Last edited:

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Dang at the Arkham games bottoming out the poll, I know people are all about whining about the car or whatever but they really find it more offensive than Mass Effect 3's ending or whatever?

My issue with the Arkham trilogy is the same as with Dead Space trilogy.

The first game absolutely nailed it with a tight design, then the second game went bigger, but lost a lot of the hand-crafted, tight-focused stuff I really liked, then the third game shat the bed

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I wouldnt call most of those a trilogy.

Its either Dark Souls or Mass Effect for me, actually the Quintet deserves a mention as well (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Time/Gaia & Terranigma).

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel vs Capcom

Marvel vs Capcom 2

Marvel vs Capcom 3

Might not be the absolute best for everyone, but still pretty damn great to me. ( I'm including ultimate in that list also )

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Edit: Oops, SH and RE aren't really trilogies. Apologies in advance.

Neither is Metal Gear Solid.

It's like choosing three Harry Potter films and saying they're a trilogy. That's not a trilogy. Lord of the Rings is a trilogy, as is Back to the Future and The Godfather.

As for games, I like the Tomb Raider Legend trilogy, (Legend, Anniversary and Underworld). Those were the last really good TR games where you raid tombs.