• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Greatest trilogies in Gaming?

• Metal Gear Solid Trilogy

• Metroid Prime Trilogy

• Arkham Rocksteady Trilogy

• Mass Effect Trilogy

• Dark Souls Trilogy

• Halo Trilogy

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
How is Metal Gear in any way a trilogy

Might as well add Final Fantasy VI, VII, VIII to the poll

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't played the Souls nor MGS2/3 yet.

God of War is the most consistently great for me. Then, Professor Layton.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
bookimg.png

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Xenosaga I/II/III is my fav trilogy (Yeah, II is great yadda yadda).

From the poll, Dark Souls and Metroid Prime wins for me. MGS trilogy probably mean 1/2/4, right? If it's 3 instead of 4, that would be my pick.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
All the options in the poll have weak entries. The first three Monkey Island games, on the other hand, are all killer with zero filler.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Really? If you can say that even compared to the other two, this really could be the best trilogy in gaming.

I know some people prefer #2, but yes #3 really reaches the highest highs. And it has one of the best endings in the medium, which elevates the value of the trilogy as a whole.

Then #4/5/6 happened and it was like going from LOTR to the Hobbit.

Oct 25, 2017
I know some people prefer #2, but yes #3 really reaches the highest highs. And it has one of the best endings in the medium, which elevates the value of the trilogy as a whole.

Then #4/5/6 happened and it was like going from LOTR to the Hobbit.
LMAO. At least they're somewhat separate, never bothered with watching The Hobbit, and I suppose I could do the same with the 3DS series.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since the poll is stretching the definition of trilogy anyway, I'm going with the Genesis/Mega Drive Shinobi trilogy: Revenge of Shinobi, Shadow Dancer, and Shinobi III.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Since the poll is stretching the definition of trilogy anyway, I'm going with the Genesis/Mega Drive Shinobi trilogy: Revenge of Shinobi, Shadow Dancer, and Shinobi III.
I'll stretch further and say the trilogy of the Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast

They arguably have a better story arc than any of the trilogies in the OP

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Halo is the most consistent trilogy that I've played. Metroid Prime is probably my favorite game ever, but MP3 was a letdown.

rale_kan

Aug 27, 2020
The Witcher series. Yes, even the first game is great.
I played the first Witcher game this year for the first time. The combat is unique and I found it to take a little bit of getting used to it, but the learning curve was rewarding. The game is fantastic. Absolutely recommend it.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid Zero Mission. The actual best Metroid trilogy.

But yes MPT is great too.

Also the DS Castlevanias. Dawn Of Sorrow, Portrait Of Ruin, Order Of Ecclesia. That's just back to back quality right there.

apps.615.67362291782661543.eb0267ee-9235-487a-b697-5cc49c0703c1.327dcfde-8472-4f0e-b91e-9b4856238352

My answer every time this comes up.

Holy hell yes. So amazing.

BigDaddyCool

Nov 29, 2020
MGS and Metroid Prime

Mass Effect 1 is one of my favorite games ever made, 2 was a fun but disappointing follow-up, and 3 was poopoo. So as a trilogy it doesn't stand strong for me. Off that list I'd put Halo behind MGS and MP.

Also, SMB 1-3

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Witcher is my favorite too. The first game tends to get bad rap these days. I didn't play it while it was still new, only well after the enhanced edition. And that was when I fell in love with the franchise. I do think it's a great RPG, even with it's odd tempo based combat (I even prefer it to the 2nd game).

Another shoutout will go to the Monkey Island trilogy. While Gilbert himself wasn't involved with the Curse, I think they did excellent job upgrading the game to it's new look and the game remained as hilarious as ever. Unlike the 4th game which was a visual downgrade and Monkey Kombat was no proper replacement for Insult Sword Fighting.

I wish that in some years I can add Deus Ex Adam Jensen trilogy on my list of favorite trilogies. Get on it Square Enix, I beg you!

JankyNedelko

Oct 15, 2020
The Netherlands
Off the top of my head:

SSX (Original, Tricky, 3) / Tony Hawk (Pro Skater 1, 2 & 3)
The pinnacle of arcade extreme sports with perfect gameplay, feature-rich content and impressive production values. These games still hold up.

Skate Trilogy
The only stronghold for quality extreme sports games, provided by a dev team that gave their all within a limited time and budget (EA really didn't need to milk three titles between 2007-2010) during the PS3/360 generation, as other franchises withered away (Amped, SSX, Tony Hawk post-Neversoft) or never got up to begin with (Shaun White). Shaky mission design aside, it had everything for everyone: great open world with enough spots, lines and gaps; gameplay which catered for both hardcore and arcade folks (everything from producing your own professional skate promo to going nuts with the Hall of Meat); and - just like Tony Hawk, SSX, Amped, and Aggressive Inline before it - a lot of passion and respect for the sport. Doesn't get enough love in core gaming circles, imho...

GTA 3D Trilogy (III, Vice City & San Andreas)
Self-explanatory.

TimeSplitters deserves some love too. Pure arcade FPS bliss.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Metroid Prime for me. Best part is, the games are consistent in mechanics but change things up just enough so that you can play through all three right after each other without being fatigued

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Halo is by far the best choice in that poll. I'm lowkey salty at the results 😂

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
I voted Halo and Other, which includes:

1. Mario Bros.
2. Uncharted
3. Warcraft
4. Diablo
5. Trico (Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian)

There are several other series with three consecutive titles which are arguably top tier games (e.g. Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask), however the list in the OP seems to be limited to the first three entries in a series.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
Every. Single. Entry. in the Halo Trilogy had some kind of major innovation that every game takes for granted today.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Shining Force 1-3

......or I guess just Shining Force 3? How do you define a trilogy within a trilogy?

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017

Dang. I still need to figure out a way to play 0 one of these days. I missed it at the time, but absolutely loved 4 and 5 and this is probably right up there with the GTA III trilogy, SSX/Tricky/3, and the first three THPS games.

I don't want to jump the gun, but the final chapter of the Hitman World of Assassination trilogy is coming in a couple of weeks and that's bound to be very high on my list.

Jan 11, 2018
How are they trilogies? Most of those series have more than three games. Unless you are just talking about the first three games in any series?