• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
There is an art to building up the proper suspense and crescendo into a game's title drop. We've had a great many games attempt an introductory cutscene that either culminates or pans towards a title-drop, and some are better than others. I wanna know what your favorite game title reveals have been! I'll start:

Rayman 2: The Great Escape
The N64 version of this game is identical to others but the PS1 port, in everything except its music. They had a tertiary composer do the "MIDI-version" of Rayman 2's music and he certainly had some autonomy with it. He completely made up his own intro music, and you can't deny the sense of "epic" and chills as the "RAYMAN 2: THE GREAT ESCAPE" hit the screen. However I'm even cheating. A YouTube composer remastered the midi arrangement with extra oomph but it still gets the point across.

Halo 5: Guardians
So, I actually think the full intro cutscene is way overdone and the game itself is shallow. However, if you imagine it cuts off a little after the "Halo 5" reveal screen, as the soldiers about to land (and it seamlessly lands you in gameplay into a warzone) you could imagine how great this would've been. And nonetheless the initial suspense that leads into the Halo 5 screen is like the resonance of a church bell ringing across a city. There's something grandiose and outstanding about it. Even if you don't like Halo 5, this is a memorable title reveal.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The one in NieR: Automata.

You know the one I'm talking about šŸ˜

It's not an opening, but it sorta feels like one, as if everything before this was leading up to this moment. Like the real game begins now.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nier Automata

When it drops it's just like...wow.

"holy shit I just played a 20 hour tutorial"

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
FFVII wins this for me. That whole cutscene was mindblowing at the time

Cant wait to see it in the Remake

Edit: Gold Arsene nailed it

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
nier automata has a self contained sequel with its own title drop mirroring its contemporary

it is queen

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
0Oidago.png

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
The title reveals for Life is Strange were all very good, but the one in the first episode hooked me hard, just really well done.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Came here to post Doom (2016) but already beaten.

It's a fucking rip-snorter though, and then followed up with that cocking of the shotgun perfectly timed to the music. Makes you want to take a massive bite out of your gamepad/mouse.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
ojWU58w.png

Love the music and camera angles on the opening of Shenmue 2. Makes it feel pretty epic especially after the first game and struggle of getting here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
FFVII, BotW, KH2, and AC2 are all top notch

I love Final Fantasy XIV's commitment to framing the expansion titles with important landmarks after a dramatic opening monologue, too

GIXXcJN.jpg

Also Bravely Default's mid-game twist, you know the one if you've played it. That's technically a reveal of a different sort.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i dont care how hard others may campaign, but Nier:A C's was just perfection

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
It has to be when NieR: Automata dropped its title reveal like 30 hours into the game.