• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Greatest at an instrument is not something I believe in, as far as music appreciation goes, there's so many ways to play any given instrument that one can only be "greatest at playing the instrument the way they want to play it", I don't expect or want Derek Bailey to also be able to play Cannibal Corpse songs, and I don't expect the guys in Cannibal Corpse to be able to play free improv well.

So, with that disclaimer out of the way, let me sell you on Terrance Hobbs. He's far from the showiest guitarist, but as far as style, clean picking, and sheer song writing chops, I'm a huge fan. He (and Mike Smith on drums) effectively invented both modern technical death metal and slam metal in 1990 when Suffocation as we know them today really got started. His song writing is where he shines and many of the bands that copy his style only bother to copy his rhythms and not the hooks, but he's got both rhythms that turn a crowd into wild mosh pit, he's also great at melody, structure, and soloing.

for example, here in Liege of Inveracity, we get both the intricate fast technical melodic bit that starts around 1 minute in, which leads into a mid paced part that hints at the climactic mosh part, then a break down, into a related-but-different fast melodic bit, into solo... everything is built around engaging the listener, song first, but packed with details for people actively listening to the notes.. and then at 2:50 we get the part that launched a thousand pits. (Pardon the production, in 1991 people didn't know how to record Death Metal yet.)

and here's a more recent video from decades later that show he's still got it.

Sure, there are flashier guitar players playing stuff that's absurdly difficult, but Hobbs deserves credit for catalyzing the switch from Thrash to Death metal for technical players in the first place. (sure, death metal starts with Possessed and Mantas/Death in 1984, but even Death isn't playing in a truly technical style until 91... and it's Suffo that more bands took cues from long term.)

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
Prince is a great player and its a little bit of a disservice to his quality as a musician that he's vaulted into the consciousness of the social ethos essentially because one video went viral.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Tom Verlaine is my favourite kind of guitarist: exceptional, innovative, and from a technical standpoint not especially good. Like he's never going to do a sick Jimi solo or whatever and a lot of what he does is very simple but if you like The Strokes or Interpol or whoever, well, they basically owe him their entire sound
The second part of Marquee Moon is some of my favorite guitar work in anything. When 8:42 hits I'm in heaven. I watched him play the album in full at Primavera Sound, was great.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Some love for modern female guitar heroes:

Marissa Paternoster of Screaming Females

Yvette Young of Covet

Kida "Motifour" Motoko of tricot

And I also want to shout out the combo of Lee Ranaldo/Thurston Moore in Sonic Youth (also joined by Jim O'Rourke in this particular era of the band):

Not super technical, but really creative and with some interesting sounds.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Prince is a great player and its a little bit of a disservice to his quality as a musician that he's vaulted into the consciousness of the social ethos essentially because one video went viral.

even with my above disclaimer in not truly believe in "greatest musician" being a real thing, Prince was clearly one of the greatest all-around multi-instrumentalists we've had the luck to hear recorded over the course of decades.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
The Vais, Gilberts, & Satches are great, but they delve in one style mostly.

The most in-demand guitarist living today is easily Steve Lukather (Toto) - the guy can play any style from classical, jazz, country to rock.
He's on more albums than anybody can count. They say everybody has at least one record in their collection with Lukather on it playing guitar. You want to nail the guitar parts in your recording, you call Lukather.

DSync

Oct 27, 2017
Joe Bonamasa is really good

John Frusciante is my personal favourite guitarist of all time

Nov 11, 2020
Larry Carlton, a guitarist with an amazing catalogue of his own work, but probably the most famous session guitarist ever. Putting aside his incredible work with Steely Dan (not just solos, rhythm playing as well), just look up where and who he's featured with, as it's a long and incredible list. Not just with bands and artists, but his TV theme work with Mike Post.
Some key albums that feature him.

Steely Dan:
  • The Royal Scam - Probably his most famous work; the highlight being his incredible solos on Kid Charlemagne, and Don't Take Me Alive.
  • Aja - Listen to the rhythm playing on Black Cow, and Deacon Blues.
Joni Mitchell:
  • Court and Spark
  • Hissing of Summer Lawns - features my favourite track with Larry, Edith and the Kingpin.
  • Hejira
The main reason he's my favourite guitarist, is because he plays it like he's a piano player rhythm-wise (listen carefully to how he voices chords) and a saxophonist in terms of solos. His playing never gets in the way of anything, and his solos never just sound like patterns around a scale, but like a new vocal melody around the song itself; like he's having a conversation with you.

EDIT: His nickname is 'Mr 335' (derived from his main guitar being the Gibson 335). ;)

gappvembe

Oct 27, 2017
Not the best, but a guitar hero:
Ace_smoke.jpg=s0

Along with Ace, every KISS guitarist had their own flavor, my favorite being Bruce Kulick:

Along with Vivian Campbell mentioned above, his band mate Phil Collen:

And of course who he had to unfortunately replace: Steve Clark

gappvembe

Oct 27, 2017
Part 2:
The Hawkins Brothers from The Darkness

I was directly in front of Dan and his amps for one show. It wasn't great. All I could hear was his guitars for the whole show. Made for a unique experience, but won't do that again.

And finally, I think is one of the most underrated is Sascha Paeth:

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Larry Carlton, a guitarist with an amazing catalogue of his own work, but probably the most famous session guitarist ever. Putting aside his incredible work with Steely Dan (not just solos, rhythm playing as well), just look up where and who he's featured with, as it's a long and incredible list. Not just with bands and artists, but his TV theme work with Mike Post.
Some key albums that feature him.

Steely Dan:
  • The Royal Scam - Probably his most famous work; the highlight being his incredible solos on Kid Charlemagne, and Don't Take Me Alive.
  • Aja - Listen to the rhythm playing on Black Cow, and Deacon Blues.
Joni Mitchell:
  • Court and Spark
  • Hissing of Summer Lawns - features my favourite track with Larry, Edith and the Kingpin.
  • Hejira
The main reason he's my favourite guitarist, is because he plays it like he's a piano player rhythm-wise (listen carefully to how he voices chords) and a saxophonist in terms of solos. His playing never gets in the way of anything, and his solos never just sound like patterns around a scale, but like a new vocal melody around the song itself; like he's having a conversation with you.

EDIT: His nickname is 'Mr 335' (derived from his main guitar being the Gibson 335). ;)

Not to mention he got shot in the neck, suffered severe nerve damage and had to relearn how to play all over again. A legend for sure.

Nov 11, 2020
Not to mention he got shot in the neck, suffered severe nerve damage and had to relearn how to play all over again. A legend for sure.
Forgot to put that in (was watching the inauguration whilst typing it lol), but thanks for sharing. :)
As an aside, he's also a real gentlman and was more than happy to stop and chat when I saw him at a gig back in 2006. There's a great interview with him here, from Rick Beato on youtube:

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
My personal favourite is B.B. King.
But from a technical standpoint and power and all of that, Stevie Ray Vaughan was absolutely insane.

Currently, John Mayer is easily one of the best, and the best part of it, is that he talks a lot about his process and music as a whole on instagram and other types of interviews.
Seriously, go search "John Mayer instagram live" on youtube, there's tons of content from him. It doesn't get any better than that.
But you know, you're just starting so maybe save that to a year or two from now.

For now, it's really better if you just do the basic stuff.
Altough learning songs you like is one of the best ways to learn guitar, so maybe listen to some Mayer...

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big fan of George Harrison, but his guitar work is admittedly a bit more on the subtle and less flashy side of the bar.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I can't exactly relate to people saying Townsend, Frusciante, or Mayer (they're all good guitarists, though). Prince, Methany, de Lucia, Satriani, Gilbert, McLaughlin, Eric Johnson, Buckethead... those are all really great picks.
I know the usual bases will be covered, so I'm gonna throw out a newer name: Tosin Abasi.
Thank you for posting someone who is actually really fucking good at playing guitar.

--
I'll also point to some rarely mentioned contenders. Although the first two are quite young, they show a lot of promise, and I think they're well on their way to being some of the best guitarists of all time.

Tim Henson
Totally capable of shredding with the best, but he puts a lot of focus into less common rhythm and chord progressions. His technical prowess is absolutely incredible with perfect sweeps and taps. He's got the metal techniques down, but he uses them effectively in his own style.

Ichika Nito
I'm not sure that I've seen any guitarist with such an extensive understanding of their instrument.

He's into taking weird challenges from people to completely change how he's playing.

He impressed other Japanese musicians enough to join a supergroup with Kyuujitsu Kachou, Enon Kawatani, and Chan Mari, who are also phenomenal.

Also, he makes some good Djent.
www.youtube.com

Heaven Metal

My new band ichikoro's music video "James?" is officially out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lc2fEhH25gCheck it out!Follow :â—Ź Spotify: Nito http://urx3.nu...

Fitzgerald

Feb 23, 2018

No mentions of the holy trifecta of British folk music Jansch - Renbourn - Graham? :( these are by far my favorite guitarists, Bert Janch probably on top (probably my favourite folk musician anyway)

Kid Night

Oct 27, 2017
Miyavi is up there for me as one of the best. Not just technicially proficient (which is is insanely skilled), but makes it sound great too

I think Steve Vai is also insanely good.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
Slash, particularly during his GnR days. Not sure if he is the greatest, but I always loved his solos and the guitar work.

A lot of great guitarists mentioned in this thread.

ShiftyHermit

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of guitarists in this thread will be massive. So many of them have done amazing things with the instrument. To me, it's whomever inspires you and makes you want to play.

I'm currently learning to play myself. My ultimate goal is being able to play anything by Tom Morello and Stevie Ray Vaughn, but their sound is more than just playing proficiency. Tom mixes effects and spends a ton of time trying to get any type of sound out of the instrument, SRV used very heavy gauge strings early on and had a death grip apparently, which is the opposite of what you are taught (also started having trouble with his hands). As others have stated there are tons of influences.

B.B. King - Joe Satriani - Hendrix - Jimmy Page - Steve Vai - Eddie Van Halen - Dimebag - Nirvana - John Mayer - Polyphia

Those are just a small handful but they all brought something interesting and unique to the art of playing the guitar, they had different takes on cord shapes, timings, technical skills.

For every popular musician there may be many people technically better at the instrument but never became popular. I love every genre of music, so learning to play those different styles will be enough to inspire me to keep playing and learn a wider appreciation of the different styles.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
The Vais, Gilberts, & Satches are great, but they delve in one style mostly.

The most in-demand guitarist living today is easily Steve Lukather (Toto) - the guy can play any style from classical, jazz, country to rock.
He's on more albums than anybody can count. They say everybody has at least one record in their collection with Lukather on it playing guitar. You want to nail the guitar parts in your recording, you call Lukather.
I don't agree with the genre pegging take one Vai, Gilbert, Satch et all, but Lukather is an excellent choice and criminally underrated.

Netflix had a doc called 'Hired Gun.' He was one of the featured session guys. Its a great watch. There are several basically unknown musicians featured who are incredible.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Didn't see anyone mention Richard Thompson yet which is an actual crime against taste

Vince-DiCola

Banned
May 22, 2019
Culloden
Joe Satriani, Guthrie Govan, Marty Friedman and Ron Jarzombek for pure ability.

I like Mikael Akerfeldt and Frederik Akesson's style though. Opeth have such a unique sound, so varied, inventive and just cool.

Shout out to Frederik Thordendal and Marten Hagstrom for blowing my mind back when Meshuggah dropped Destroy Erase Improve. Shit was bonkers

*edit can't believe i forgot Adam Jones.
One of the most original sounding guitarists out there imo

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone before or after Jimi Hendrix changed the game that much. What he did transcends what most musicians have or ever will do to music. So, if I had to make the closest thing possible to an "objective" pick, it would go to Jimi.

If I had to pick the person who has mastered guitar like one speaks a language, it would go to Guthrie Govan. He definitely has the widest repertoire of techniques while seemingly being able to use all of them at the highest level, it's not a gimmick, he can really just pick up just about any technique and use them as well as any of its best proponents. That guy BREATHES music. And, players like him usually lack the skill in writing, and yet somehow, he also writes great music.

If I had to pick my favorite, just who I like to listen to play the most, maybe Dave Davidson, Guthrie Govan or Marty Friedman? Impossible to choose, really.

So, long story short: Jimi Hendrix for impact on music, Guthrie Govan for mastery of the instrument and musical knowledge in general.

Also, Prince to me is like Frank Zappa - great guitarists, but they were definitely more songwriters than guitarists. They are outclassed by many on the instrument but few in terms of writing abilities.