• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.metalsucks.net/2020/07/...th-no-mask-or-social-distancing-requirements/

On February 20, 2003, Great White performed at the Station nightclub in Rhode Island using pyrotechnics that were not approved for the small room. The venue caught fire during the first song, and 100 people would lose their lives (with an additional 230 injured) in the ensuing rush to escape, burned alive, suffocated or trampled in the stampede.

This past Thursday, July 9, Great White once again displayed their disregard for human lives by performing a concert for hundreds of fans crammed together without any requirements for masks or social distancing.

What's another hundred deaths to them?

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I was wondering if this was the The Station fire band and of course it is. What a fucking tone deaf thing to do so many years later.

For context, be warned it's devastating. There's video footage documented by a local reporter covering the fire from start to end and it will shake you to the core.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Imagine dying because you really wanted to listen to Great White.

At least when they were killing people by setting venues on fire it only killed the people in the venue, and not anybody the people came into contact with afterwards.

Is the COVID-19-igoring band here really named Great White?

...am I being trolled?

It's based on the shark, but it's definitely taken on another meaning, yeah. The audience in the video attached to the article is pretty telling.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I didn't know they were still around, the Station Nightclub for video is horrific

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Why would any venue... how are they ...why are still allowed to perform live? I can't wrap my head around all the shit I reading today. I just can't.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
"We do not have restrictions, believe it or not, we don't have any. It's one of those things where if people feel comfortable coming down and mixing and mingling, that's their personal choice. We're leaving it up to everybody that chooses to attend."

I'm getting fucking sick of this shitty justification. It's someone's "personal choice", but what about all the people who will need to interact with the person after they attend the concert? I'm sure most people would rather not interact with someone dumb enough to go to a maskless concert in the middle of a pandemic - what about their "personal choice"?

People are so fundamentally broken. America is insanely nationalistic, but somehow this only exists as a justification to do whatever they want, and not as a way to actually benefit or support their nation.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I was just watching a video on that fire a while back. I'm impressed any fans would watch them live again.

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
Good grief. Check out the book Killer Show about the Station nightclub fire, such an easily-avoidable tragedy.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa these are the same guys from the club fire? Those videos were horrifying. And they're still on their dumb shit?

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
R-4174593-1476532234-4312.jpeg.jpg

🤔

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
The story behind the fire at their show, and it's accompanying video, is absolutely horrifying. They rightfully got a lot of flack from that but clearly all their talk since of being responsible was bullshit. Fuck these guys I hope they drop off the face of the earth

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Band is called Great White
Band and management cause horrific nightclub fire that kills and disfigures hundreds of fans
Band apparently does not reflect on safety in the intervening two decades
Band decides to create giant sweaty superspreader incident during a pandemic

Boomers mate, boomers

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
That's a name I'd hoped never to hear again. How do you not learn from having destroyed so many lives previously?

Raziel

Alt Account
Banned
May 28, 2019
How someone could be that stupid to go and listen to a band when so many are dying. Most of europe are fully open and I still see alot of people just avoiding going to crowded areas and in US happens this bullshit.

I really think you guys in US should have 2 countries instead of one.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
I was wondering if this was the The Station fire band and of course it is. What a fucking tone deaf thing to do so many years later.

For context, be warned it's devastating. There's video footage documented by a local reporter covering the fire from start to end and it will shake you to the core.
I saw that video when i was in my late teens and it cost me a lot of sleep for a long time, it's absolutely fucking harrowing. Truly nightmareish. It boggles the mind this band would risk creating even the impression of an unsafe concertgoing experience after that, but I suppose there is a clue in the band name what kinda folks "Great White" might be

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
If a difficult accomplishment to be the geek among hair metal band nostalgia acts. Great White has done this by digging up such (rightfully) forgotten hits as Rock Me and Once Bitten Twice Shy (lol.)

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
If a difficult accomplishment to be the geek among hair metal band nostalgia acts. Great White has done this by digging up such (rightfully) forgotten hits as Rock Me and Once Bitten Twice Shy (lol.)
both those songs are staples on classic rock radio. Hard to really say Great White is any geekier than like Poison or Bon Jovi from the 80s hair metal scene to be honest.

Though I will say I tend to confuse Great White with Ratt. At least Ratt has that Geico commercial currently.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
both those songs are staples on classic rock radio. Hard to really say Great White is any geekier than like Poison or Bon Jovi from the 80s hair metal scene to be honest.

Though I will say I tend to confuse Great White with Ratt. At least Ratt has that Geico commercial currently.

Fella.... Nothing But A Good Time and Living on a Prayer smack the shit out of Great White. This is like comparing apples to a fruit no one has heard of.

Plasticine

Oct 25, 2017
They killed 100 people with their original singer. Guess they want to top that with the new guy.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" isn't even their song. It's a cover.

Yup, Ian Hunter's is still the best.

In the end alot of bands from that ER while individually talented took what bands like Def Leppard were doing and ended up oversarurating and ruining the scene.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
So after reading into the original fire I don't think it's really the bands fault. Like I 100% get the irony of them learning nothing from the accident, but it sounds like it was the fault of the manager/club owners mostly and the band seemed to own up to it/be involved in the aftermath. They also lost their guitarist in the fire.

So the original article seems pretty trashy in that regard and is greatly misrepresenting the band in that they implied they would be of any fault in the fire, which they weren't. Unlike now where they are clearly encouraging dangerous and irresponsible activities.