• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
My number one is:
la vie en rose louis armstrong

It is a great song. A timeless song but for a stretch it was in what seemed like every cheesy 90s and early 2000s romance flick. Now every time I hear it I can't help but cringe. Does this happen to anyone else?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
My number one is:

It is a great song. A timeless song but for a stretch it was in what seemed like every cheesy 90s and early 2000s romance flick. Now every time I hear it I can't help but cringe. Does this happen to anyone else?

This doesn't happen for timeless songs. When I listen to Louis Armstrong I never feel cringe.

OP
OP
Bruceleeroy

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
This doesn't happen for timeless songs. When I listen to Louis Armstrong I never feel cringe.

During 2002 I was obsessed with Oreos. So much so that I over did it and got to the point where the taste made me nauseous. This was a travesty. With COVID I tried them again for the first time in almost 20 years and you know what, they are amazing. Even the timeless songs can make you nauseous but when they are timeless eventually you'll come back around on them

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Whenever I hear radioactive by imagine dragons my mind immediately says as a reaction that there's a trailer for something on the TV.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Can't think of a single example. I can think of plenty of awful songs made great by films though.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017

This is supposed to be the tune when gladiators enter the coliseum. Now, it's for Clowns.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
During 2002 I was obsessed with Oreos. So much so that I over did it and got to the point where the taste made me nauseous. This was a travesty. With COVID I tried them again for the first time in almost 20 years and you know what, they are amazing. Even the timeless songs can make you nauseous but when they are timeless eventually you'll come back around on them

That is different. You yourself over listening a song is different than being ruined.

Aerosmith - Don't Want to Miss is overplayed

Neil Diamond - Sweet Caroline is overplayed

Eagles - Hotel California is overplayed.

And much more.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico

Not because of the song use though, but because I associate that song now with the movie of the same name that I loved...until it came shortly after it was released that a monster was in the movie.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I can't hear "Stuck in the Middle With You" without thinking about someone's ear being cut off.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
"Don't stop me now".. a decent song, that I CAN'T STAND anymore. Thanks to Shaun of the Dead and others that followed.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
This might be blasphemous but I think the scene in Wayne's World being associated with it harms my opinion of Bohemian Rhapsody just a little bit. It's a good scene, but the song is an all-timer, and genuinely tells an emotional story that I think is kinda undercut by people often associating it with a 90s comedy.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Cat People (Putting Out Fires) by Bowie was ruined for me by Tarantino using it in Inglourious Bastards because I really dislike that film and its misogyny. Every time I try to listen to it now I think of that and it taints it.

Bowie being problematic didn't help in the first place, of course.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
My number one is:

Random but the first and only time I ever heard this song was in WALL-E, lol.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I didnt even watch King Aurther but for some reason I cant seem to think of the Immigrant Song without thinking of that trailer.

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
AC/DC's hollywood trifecta for me. Can't stand Highway to Hell, Back in Black and Thunderstruck, movies ruined those songs for me, so overplayed.

• Hero/Villian is back or want to look badass?, do a Back in Back needle drop.
  • Comedic/Ironic reference to hell and the devil?, put some Highway to Hell.
  • Need that sport/stadium mood and pump?, let's use Thunderstruck again in a motion picture.
Patrick H. Willems has a nice video about good and bad needle drops that touches the overuse of some songs.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Not used in movies that much but fucking "power" by Kanye is so overplayed at this point that I'm surprised he still needs to make any shoes/albums to make money

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
"I Got You Babe" by Sonny & Cher
200.gif

Nov 27, 2020
"Born to Be Wild" by Steppenwolf. It's a good song, but it's been played over shots of characters riding on motorcycles so many times that it's practically a genre onto itself, and it's been happening for over 50 years, since Easy Rider.

Runner Up to this: "Highway Star" by Deep Purple.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
Slightly off topic because it's not a great song but where is my mind by the pixies is audio poison to me after fight club.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Fucking Bad to the Bone is ruined for me wirh all those awful kid comedy and sitcoms we had using it

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Slightly off topic because it's not a great song but where is my mind by the pixies is audio poison to me after fight club.
I like the song, but yeah. Same here.

I don't hate the film, but I think it sucks that Guardians of the Galaxy 2 used Father and Son for its finale.

Such a great song, and now cheaply tied to a blockbuster comedy action film for effective, if not forced, sentimentality.