• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a better instance of a video game company eating another company's lunch than Cities: Skylines. Just swooped in and did Simcity but better at a time when Simcity was not too well-liked. I don't know if they actually outsold Simcity but they definitely took a sizable chunk away. And, you know, Cities: Skylines is still here and they'll probably keep making em.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Thought the topic would be about lunches in video games...

I wanted to come in and write "FF15 the thread", but alas.

The second trilogy of Tomb Raider games started in 2006. Uncharted came out in 2007 and was a runaway success, certainly more than Tomb Raider 2006 was.
The third trilogy of Tomb Raider games are heavily inspired by Uncharted.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This should probably be on the Gaming board!

Anyway, Stardew Valley just did it better than Harvest Moon.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Call of Duty has really been eating Battlefield's lunch lately with its large-scale vehicle-heavy maps and modes.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
ddoi7gq-f8a4dd96-5479-470b-b496-bdaeebe0fb95.jpg

tumblr_ozr8ueMjh41vxw3rpo2_540.png

450_1000.jpg

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft kept holding off on doing the feudal Japan setting that everyone was asking for, and well...

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
While certainly not as succesful, Digimon Story : Cyber Sleuth is still the best Pokémon game since Crystal imo, but I'm not sure if that counts since it's not like it's stealing market shares from Pokémon.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017

They kinda fixed it in the remaster/remake :P

Not exactly what OP was looking for, since I thought it was originally a food in gaming thread whoops lol

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Epic deciding to shoehorn in a battle royal into their base building survival game fortnite ate some lunches.

Monster Hunter arguably has best in game lunches.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded

They kinda fixed it in the remaster/remake :P

Not exactly what OP was looking for, since I thought it was originally a food in gaming thread whoops lol

Oh God this scene.

This is the scene that broke my brain when I was thinking about past scenes from most recent to earliest in the game, and what they mean now after Zanza gave away the name of the game for the first time (Literally) in his chat with meyneth.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
While certainly not as succesful, Digimon Story : Cyber Sleuth is still the best Pokémon game since Crystal imo, but I'm not sure if that counts since it's not like it's stealing market shares from Pokémon.

Ignoring the other obvious ones (Platinum, Gen 5, Emerald etc), how is Crystal better than HGSS when the latter is better in every conceivable way? Just going by your opinion I mean. Is it the visual style? Because that's the only difference I can think of.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ignoring the other obvious ones (Platinum, Gen 5, Emerald etc), how is Crystal better than HGSS when the latter is better in every conceivable way? Just going by your opinion I mean. Is it the visual style? Because that's the only difference I can think of.
Sure you can count HGSS as well, I just wasn't counting remakes, but even those games are like 10 years old by now, right?

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spiderman and Spiderman Miles Morales took everything that the Batman Arkham games did and did it better. I say that as someone who prefers Batman over Spiderman.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
Stardew Valley made every other farming RPG irrelevant. Straight up bodied Harvest Moon.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Spiderman and Spiderman Miles Morales took everything that the Batman Arkham games did and did it better. I say that as someone who prefers Batman over Spiderman.

huh, I absolutely disagree. The stealth and combat—relative the character's abilitie—were much more refined and balanced in the Arkham sequels.

Arkham has features like the stealth takedowns being slow+quiet, but can also be switched into a faster yet loud knockout helps balance that experience—in Spider-Man 2018, you can do a zip takedown from far away that's lightning fast, but also silent, whereas the actual "sneak up behind enemy" takedown always has a long animation that can sometimes register as a punch if they turn at the wrong moment. And that's just one aspect, ignoring how SM's basic attacks only hit one enemy at a time, even when a given kick seemingly swings through nearby enemies, or the more lopsided enemy-type counter attack system where big dudes and energy whip guys lock require really specific normal attacks, but certain gadgets are universally effective ... not to mention in Arkham, you could also use gadgets without going into a menu. And SM somehow has wonky controls for smoothly climbing up walls or off ledges, or quickly crawling from a platform onto a railing/the underside of said platform, all of which Arkham does more reliably (with Batman and Catwoman for landing on railings, and Catwoman for crawling underneath walkway platforms).

there's just so much Arkham series does more reliably and more streamlined (again, relative to character abilities and powers). If this is pure about the first Arkhamgame, then I'd agree, but City and onward? Then nah

If anything, it's the other way around, where the Arkham series manage to comprehensively nail its subject matter better than the SM games did up until then. You had the incredible webslinging of SM2 PS2, and the fantastic-for-its-time SM 2000, but most aspects of those games fell short, whereas the Arkham series felt cohesively quality all around

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really like the Grandia meal-time scenes.

3-Update_45_(3).jpg
odWe_qpJVsRduTN4v3KjtHDAjsEpto4Fxd6oSAy4S7C3VkCYqic4TJlqAYfasHqiiXeRtvoXgXwwQhbPoVQuJx7rviljy-B7wZqudHxqw3-Z-f9PVhST2OEAyA

This should probably be on the Gaming board!

Anyway, Stardew Valley just did it better than Harvest Moon.

If you mean the modern ones by Natsume, sure. The classic stuff by Marvelous it's obviously inspired by? Eh, some hit and miss.

Last edited:

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Playstation to Nintendo and Sega

Not meant to be a console war post, but in the mid 90s they came in and took over the market