• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Codename S.T.E.A.M. never sat right with me.

285095-vvvvvv-linux-fv4jcr.jpg

How do you pronounce this?
"Double You Double You Double You"

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I feel any JRPG with a subtitle could be inserted here.

Trails of the Sky and Cold Steel are my mentions. Great games.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like it when a new game reuses the name of an old classic game without being a remake of it. Two recent examples are God of War (2018) and Prey (2017).

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
I was going to say Demon's Souls or New Super Mario Bros, but this is a much better (worse) one

Full Metal Furies is a great game that absolutely bombed, and the title is likely a significant part of why (in addition to a lack of marketing/hype and a focus on co-op). It's hard to see it and not think "Furries", and even beside that it isn't great. Full Metal Valkyries would have avoided the furry thing, but still would just be too much of a meaningless mouthful. Compare to their previous game, Rogue Legacy, where the title is completely on-the-nose and not creative, but it instantly sold a lot of people on the game. If they had just made Rogue Legacy 2 they would be sleeping on beds of cash right now

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
SMH at people naming Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. The title fits the over the top nature of the game to a T.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose it's reflective of the naming standards of flight sims, but even so, I can't help be feel that "X-wing vs Tie Fighter" is both perfunctory and unwieldy.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I don't like it when a new game reuses the name of an old classic game without being a remake of it. Two recent examples are God of War (2018) and Prey (2017).
I think these in particular are fine because you don't need to play the originals to get the mechanics or what's going on.
Plus a lot of people think of it as "God of War 4" despite there already being at least 4, I don't think they could go with a number

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I adore the trilogy to death but "Mass Effect" is a really weird and confusing title that means nothing out of context and barely means anything in context either.

Horizon: Zero Dawn is a mouthful of a title that was clearly only named such to avoid confusion with the Forza Horizon games. At least the term "Zero Dawn" ends up making sense in context.

Life Is Strange is a really generic title, like a placeholder they forgot to come up with a replacement for.

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
Have to go with Fast Racing Neo. Looks like a fantastic game, and Fast REMIX's title kinda helped, but yea..

It be like if Doom was called Fast Shooting Doom

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
How dare these people dislike Metal Gear Rising Revengeance its the perfect name for that amazingly crazy game, I bet everyone remembers that title on first sight.
Actual bad names are names that are so generic you would not remember them if there were not attached to good games like:

-Horizon Zero Dawn
-Warhammer
-Apex legends
-Monster hunter
-God of War
-Gears of War
-Blank of War
-War of Blank

I dont mind the super weird Japanese titles since they atleast use uncommon words in uncommon ways which can be hilarious.

JetJaguar88

Nov 7, 2017
Yakuza is kind of a dumb title due to most of your time in the series is spent as an ex-Yakuza member. The Japanese title Ryu Ga Gotoku (Like a Dragon) is wayyyyy better

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Yakuza is kind of a dumb title due to most of your time in the series is spent as an ex-Yakuza member. The Japanese title Ryu Ga Gotoku (Like a Dragon) is wayyyyy better
Nah man, Yakuza is much better for marketing and makes perfect thematic sense for when they chose the title with the first game. Like a dragon sounds like a f2p mobile game or a janky b tier RPG.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The Legend of Heroes.

Most generic name ever, Falcom is basically reducing their potential playerbase A LOT using this stupid name and generic anime artwork (Cold Steel 1 and 2 are not appealing "from the outside" at all). Add to that the ugly 3D graphics and the fact that you need to play 7 games to enjoy the last entries and you have the ingredients to a sales disaster (which is not, as they are releasing more and more games, and I love them).

Oct 31, 2017
Stories: The Path of Destinies, This game is fantastic. The way it goes about telling it stories and the different branching lines and multiple endings is very unique and very well written... But it may possibly have the most generic name for a game there has ever been.

JetJaguar88

Nov 7, 2017
Nah man, Yakuza is much better for marketing and makes perfect thematic sense for when they chose the title with the first game. Like a dragon sounds like a f2p mobile game or a janky b tier RPG.

Idk man. Yakuza sounds really generic to me. It's equivalent to naming your game "GANGSTER". Plus I feel like that adds to the problem where people assume its just Japanese GTA or something. And I am not saying that the exact English title "Like a Dragon" would necessarily be better, but I do think that the Japanese title with that meaning has fits way more thematically with not just the first game, but all of the the sequels as well. Especially the games in which you work toward upgrading the Dragon of Dogma fighting style, because you are aiming to become like a dragon. I feel like in a perfect world, the game would have a an English title that sounds unique and incorporates the "dragon" theme into its title.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Any title for a first game in a series with a subtitle. Horizon: Zero Dawn. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Halo: Combat Evolved. All great games. But all of those should just be the first word and nothing else.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Idk man. Yakuza sounds really generic to me. It's equivalent to naming your game "GANGSTER". Plus I feel like that adds to the problem where people assume its just Japanese GTA or something. And I am not saying that the exact English title "Like a Dragon" would necessarily be better, but I do think that the Japanese title with that meaning has fits way more thematically with not just the first game, but all of the the sequels as well. Especially the games in which you work toward upgrading the Dragon of Dogma fighting style, because you are aiming to become like a dragon. I feel like in a perfect world, the game would have a an English title that sounds unique and incorporates the "dragon" theme into its title.
I get your point but in a way it is a Japanese gta, it's a Japanese version of the same sort of idea.

What I mean by that is if I was to imagine how a Japanese developer would adapt GTA into their style in the early to mid 00s it would look like Yakuza. I agree with you on the dragon stuff, it's just very hard to incorporate that in the West without people thinking WRPG. Thematically it would definitely make more sense for the series to incorporate it into the title though.

Oct 27, 2017
On the theme of Full Metal Furies, No Truce with the Furies (which was renamed Disco Elysium sometime last year).
God, what an upgrade. I could not get the image of peace negotiations breaking down with anthropomorphic animals out of my head.

Horizon: Zero Dawn. It's one of those rare games I'm actually gonna replay 'cuz I liked it so much, but you can rearrange any of those words and it'll sound just as screwy. You ever been in a situation where you eat out with friends, but you can't decide on where to go so you end up eating at a restaurant that no one really cares for all that much? I think that's what happened when they came up with the title.

Lol, yeah. Like, it's, in practical terms for marketing to the West, an excellent title. But you're right.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Walt Disney World Quest: Magical Racing Tour is a hell of mouthful but also one of the best mascot racing games of its, or any other, era

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
Halo is a good name for a game, but the "Combat Evolved" subtitle of the first game always stuck out as stupid

Yeah, Tomb Raider too.

Prey is a good name but Prey 2017 shouldn't have used it. Partly because of the confusion it creates and the controversy around the cancelled Prey 2, but also because it doesn't really fit the game very welll. Should have been called Psycho Shock instead, fits the game better and communicates the System/BioShock pedigree

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I guess JRPGs are sort of cheating, but Bravely Default and Octopah Traveler are both clunkers. Someone already mentioned Let Us Cling Together, which is real bad, and Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber sounds like someone put a sentence into Google Translate and didn't bother to localize it.

I can't attest to whether the series is "great" or not, but I've always laughed at the title Killzone. I can't believe that's a straight-faced title -- it sounds like the name of a fake video game from Arrested Development.

Oct 31, 2017
Eugen's Wargame series

Wargame: European Escalation
Wargame: AirLand Battle
And the slightly less terrible Wargame: Red Dragon

All are genuinely fantastic and accesible large scale cold war RTS's, but god do the names suck

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

Need for Speed has managed that three different times within the same series.

The Need For Speed (1994)
Need For Speed (2015)

Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit (1998)
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit II (2002)
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010)

Need For Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
Need For Speed: Most Wanted (2012)

Strictly speaking only Most Wanted is completely identical, but the others are similar enough to raise alarm bells.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It ticks all the boxes
Lacks a colon in the title, making it look like a nonsensical, unstructured mess
Has all the "cool" words
Sounds like a 15 year old's first fanfiction
Rolls off the tongue terribly
Doesn't even inform anything about the game

It's an embarrassing enough of a title on its own but for a major title like this it's laughable.