• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta admit I wished he stopped doing the voice or didn't do it at all as I liked what he said but that shit is grating.

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
hilarious. damn man if only the academy was not up it's own ass. Sandler Oscar speech would have been amazing

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome speech.

Who was the white actress presenter? I have seen her somewhere but I can't place her.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
That was definitely a good speech, and genuinely funny. Very humanizing and genuine. As someone who hasn't been a fan of Sandler in a long time, I think he's an incredibly underrated dramatic actor. I can do without his modern comedy work in film, but his dramatic performances are always solid. I still need to see Uncut Gems.

DJMicLuv

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It reminded me of the first few comedy albums he made. I used to love those fuckers. He looks 'alive' again.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Haha that was pretty good

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
spirit awards continue to be the bright light amongst the meh of awards season.

shots out to the lighthouse for winning cinematography and supporting actor (two prizes it should be winning tomorrow)

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
The Safdie's acceptance speech for Best Director is fuckin' mint too. I love these guys.

e: fuck beaten by heaps.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That was definitely a good speech, and genuinely funny. Very humanizing and genuine. As someone who hasn't been a fan of Sandler in a long time, I think he's an incredibly underrated dramatic actor. I can do without his modern comedy work in film, but his dramatic performances are always solid. I still need to see Uncut Gems.

The award is 100% deserved. Just make sure you're in the right mood when you go see it.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I feel like everyone is always surprised when a comedy actor does well in drama, but it's usually always the case that they do.
Comedy is harder than Drama.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean not the greatest in the least but yeah it was nice. Glad Sandler and crew won something for the film. It's a tough film to break through in the mainstream circles though. It legit makes you feel dirty watching it. Not positive feelings. Same thing with Good Times. Just bad people all around. They had a lot of award hype though before the big ones starting hitting.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
shots out to the lighthouse for winning cinematography and supporting actor (two prizes it should be winning tomorrow)

Nah, I love The Lighthouse, it's my second fav film of the year, but in these two categories 1917 is downright witchcraft and Brad Pitt was brilliant in OUaTiH, even if Defoe is better than any other of the 4 nominees.

A24 should really get it's act together re: awards season though, after Moonlight won it fucked up chances of at least a dozen potential Oscar nominees

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I love The Lighthouse, it's my second fav film of the year, but in these two categories 1917 is downright witchcraft and Brad Pitt was brilliant in OUaTiH, even if Defoe is better than any other of the 4 nominees.

A24 should really get it's act together re: awards season though, after Moonlight won it fucked up chances of at least a dozen potential Oscar nominees
I can't for the life of me figure out what people are seeing in Brad Pitt's turn in OUaTiH. I've outright loved his work in a handful of films over the years, but in that one he looks gorgeous, affects an unconvincing drawl, and does practically nothing else.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I can't for the life of me figure out what people are seeing in Brad Pitt's turn in OUaTiH. I've outright loved his work in a handful of films over the years, but in that one he looks gorgeous, affects an unconvincing drawl, and does practically nothing else.

He's gonna win because he's done a bunch of good work and never won for acting before so they'll reward him for this. Especially since he's older now. Oscars does this a lot.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I have Good Time and Uncut Gems queued. Are all the Safdi films worth checking out?

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The speech was very funny but the voice was cringe worthy. Is it a reference to some Sandler character from the past? Sounded like he was trying to play a Baptist minister badly.

Oct 25, 2017
He's gonna win because he's done a bunch of good work and never won for acting before so they'll reward him for this. Especially since he's older now. Oscars does this a lot.
Probably right! But yeah, I still see quite a few people throwing roses at his feet for the role in particular. No offense to them, of course, but I just personally don't get it.

The Sandler voice is very similar to one he would sometimes sport in his early film and SNL days. A bit of a throwback.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Make 20 shitty comedies to enrich himself and his buddies.

Make 1 good movie. "We forgive you, king!"

I see you, Adam Sandler.

Uncut Gems is a gem

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently people love the stupid voices he makes. I'm not one of those people.