• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Uh...grey is the only one that I'll buy because it's the only one that doesn't look gaudy or shitty.

This sucks.

Agreed. I don't understand. Glad I kept my grey covers when I reskinned my joy conns. This means I'm always going to feel like reskinning my joycons when I buy new ones cause I don't like any of the color options. Well except grey cause it made it look more modern/less child's toy. Even when one side has a color I like I dislike the other side. Plus I like symmetry.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I just bought my first pair of replacement joycons last month, the nice dark blue/yellow ones. If yellow could be on the way out, glad I got mine when I did.

The orange/purple pair would've been a fine choice too though.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yellow are the best ones.
This sucks.

I wish they were the same tone as the N64 yellow controller:

s-l400.jpg

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Team gray since launch. I can't imagine having the gaudy mismatched colors. Wife definitely would let me have my switch out on the TV display otherwise

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't replaced my greys, but the drift is awful. Can't send them in for a repair anymore... I'd buy the AC pair if they'd let me, they're essentially perfect.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the red/blue variant was much more popular so no point to continue the grey.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
Ah, I still remember the days of first reveal when various internet polls showed way more people prefer grey to neon red/blue. The asymmetrical neons really took some time to sink in. But ever gradually it became around 6:4 by launch in favour of neon red/blue and since then became so popular that it's used for most general Switch marketings and posters.

Koppai

Oct 25, 2017
If they are getting rid of the gray when the Switch has always came in Neon Red and Blue or Gray bundles, does that mean yet another hardware revision is incoming?

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Just get a split pad pro. It's not pretty, but it's pretty damn excellent.
I already have. They're great, but not quite what I'm looking for. The joycons are too small and the SPP is too big. I'd rather joycons were bigger, had a more natural shape for gripping, and used real analog sticks (that are still small) like those on the Oculus Touch. Have the surface area be just enough that the directional pad and right analog stick are slightly closer to the center of the controller, and we'll have a winner.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
I already have. They're great, but not quite what I'm looking for. The joycons are too small and the SPP is too big. I'd rather joycons were bigger, had a more natural shape for gripping, and used real analog sticks (that are still small) like those on the Oculus Touch. Have the surface area be just enough that the directional pad and right analog stick are slightly closer to the center of the controller, and we'll have a winner.
Fair enough, it's just about the perfect size for me. Feels like a Pro controller but with dat sweet hori dpad! ^^

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually need a new set of joy cons. Guess I should buy a grey set soon before I'm forced to use one of the ugly colors. I will never disgrace my switch like that!

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
They're stopping production on less than a third of the active colors and you guys are expecting a redesign? It feels more likely they just have too many colors to efficiently manage supply.

new model, new standard colors for sure ;)
There's no evidence of a new standard model. Also note Neon Red is still in production, regular Red was the color from the special Odyssey Switch (it was also available separately in some regions).

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
As I said in the other thread, I almost forgot that the grey Switch existed and it was actually the first one revealed. The double colour one became iconic, I think it really helped the console's success and recognizability.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like my Neon joycons and my gray joycons. Any discontinuation is a loss since all joycon colors have their fans.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad to have the passionate Mario red joycons from the Walmart bundle.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Why end Gray? Gotta have something for people who don't want to carry around brightly colored consoles.

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
I like colorful but I like to use the greys on games that are darker in tone. Would be nice if they're indeed doing this because they're making some kind of successor joy-cons.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
How can you end the production of one of the colors the console comes with? That's like Sony announcing an end of production for black PS4 controllers, lol.

Got myself the neon yellow ones last week but if they would have been available, I would have bought the standard grey ones again.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
I got the grey at launch and can confirm that they are inferior to any of the color variants

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
They are having productions issues due to the high demand and Coronavirus. Every color that they remove is another production line they don't need, which cuts down on their costs so they can afford more production lines producing parts for the main console units (which is why game consoles don't tend to come in multiple colors at launch in the first place).

So my bet is this is exactly what they are doing, and it's a temporary measure. They probably looked at the least popular colors and halted production until things return to normal.

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
Very interesting that they're ending production of one of the default colors.

I wonder if this means they're moving away from Gray as a default color — in Japan at least.

Last edited:

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I think if they shorten the board and the battery they might be able to squeeze in a full size joystick that fills the entire housing

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Do the newer Joycons have better reception signal wise? I'm using my launch grey ones, and find that during Ring Fit, if I walk like 20 steps away, it has to resync the controller when I come back.

Same with weird line of sight stuff sitting 8 feet away from it, with a laptop screen in between the console and joycons. I'd love to fix it.

For me liking the joycons at all is incomprehensible. Great idea but terrible execution, worst controllers Nintendo has ever put out.
They're the most comfortable controllers I have, with their split design and how they rest in the hand. I know everyones hand sizes are different, but these just fit like a glove. I wish Sony and Microsoft offered split controllers.

Last edited:

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
They're the most comfortable controllers I have, with their split design and how they rest in the hand. I know everyones hand sizes are different, but these just fit like a glove. I wish Sony and Microsoft offered split controllers.

I love the split design (was a big fan of the Wii for that reason), I just absolutely hate the sticks, dislike the clicky triggers/bumpers and small face buttons and above all, I really, really dislike the positioning of the right stick and the dpad, they're absolutely atrocious. I know different hand sizes will change this but I have small hands so I can only imagine how much more bothersome it'll be for someone with big ones. The shoulders/bumpers and small face buttons I could live with, but the crappy sticks and the uncomfortable positioning for the right stick and dpad are just dealbreakers for me.

It's rather unfortunate that these controllers ended up in a system that gets so much play time from its owners.
I live in a post-joycon world. All I ever use are the Pro controller and the split pad pro, the joycons are there as a crutch for multiplayer when there's 8 of us but other than that they're completely ignored.