• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
joy-con-ending-production-Japan-Nintendo-1024x520.png

Production has ended on several Nintendo Switch Joy-Con colours with the Nintendo Switch Grey, Neon Yellow, and Red Joy-Con Controller Sets (L+R) all no longer being manufactured according to wording (生産終了) on the Nintendo accessories page.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Grey was a mistake and probably exists just because Nintendo wasn't sure the Neon Joycons would stick with the audience, but shame about the colored variants (and for the people that liked the inferior, boring Grey Joycons too).

Last edited:

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? So if I have to replace the ones from my grey console I have to get colored ones now? Unless they just have an enormous back stock.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they retire all the Joy cons and create something actually durable this time.

Just throw the design into the trash and redo it from scratch.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Stopping producing grey joycons seems weird since they came with a LOT of consoles.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Arms 2 will have a different color scheme

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
fuck me, I've been hesitant about sending in my yellow joycons for fear they wouldn't send a yellow one back, now I really don't know what to do.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Grey was a mistake and probably exists just because Nintendo wasn't sure the Neon Joycons would stick with the audience, but shame about the colored variants (and for the people that liked the inferior, boring Grey Joycons too).
This doesn't make sense when the entire console is grey. The console might as well be multicolored.

EDIT: OK, the console is black, but it's the only color joy-con to match it.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I hope this means they are stopping production to "fix" the structural issue that causes joy-con drift. I hope it DOESN'T mean they will no longer offer these color variants period. I only have one pair of Joy-cons and that's the ones that came with my console. I only want gray, I have no interest in any of the colored variants and unless Nintendo produces a solid black Joy-con, I don't want to settle for a unnecessary colored one.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Got my yellow from GameStop in a 2 for $40 on used ones, and they're in great shape.

I had originally looked at getting them at $70, but that's $130 shy of a Yellow Switch Lite -- which I ended up getting too.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
y'all picking gray are boring

mismatched colors is where it's at

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Doesn't explain why they didn't just go with black or white. That grey just blows.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I ordered the gray system in a rush to get a launch-day Switch. It's on the list, next to some of my big relationship breakups, of my biggest regrets.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
Grey is the best because it doesn't bother my sight when looking at the console.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they retire all the Joy cons and create something actually durable this time.

Just throw the design into the trash and redo it from scratch.
Actual analog sticks instead of these weird nubs, a real d-pad on the left controller, and a slightly larger build so they have a more natural grip. These things are a terror on the wrists.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You had me right up until "PlayStation layout". The controller would need to be dramatically revamped for that to be comfortable. I'd get thumb cramps in minutes.
To each their own I guess. I find the dpad being on top to be way more comfortable.

Nintendo have the potential to give us different options for everyone. I am not sure why they are not doing that cause there is a lot of money to be made.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Believe it or not some of us want our Switch to not look like a Picasso disaster underneath our TV

I really wish Nintendo would offer some more muted/boring color options. I'm sure they're not as popular but surely there's as much of a market for them as neon pink

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
I have grey smashed themed ones and yellow.
Love both pairs.
Yeah same, they're both great. I luckily snagged my Smash pair and imported them back in November of 2018.

Quite surprising that they are ending production of the standard Grey Joy-Con honestly, pretty interesting decision on Nintendo's part. I won't really be bothered by it though, as I've already got some and I'd much rather have colored Joy-Con, but still intriguing.