• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finished my replay of two earlier today. The end still gives me goose bumps and feels to this day.

Gravity Rush 3 when???

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we get a sequel I think that Raven should be the main character. It only makes sense after the 2nd game.
Would be cool if you play as Raven for the year without Kat for a quarter or so of the story only for Kat to show up afterwards and we learn more about the world. After that they should make both of them playable in their own missions (think GTA 5 or Nier Automata).

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Huge fan of the first game, I've always hold off to finish it because I didn't want it to end. Finally caved in to be able to play the sequel... man what a letdown of an ending. It's like they ran out of tape and were like "oops, gotta go no time to explain anything", while not even taking the time for a proper epilogue, it being split screen with the credits. Now, time to finally tackle the second game.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Huge fan of the first game, I've always hold off to finish it because I didn't want it to end. Finally caved in to be able to play the sequel... man what a letdown of an ending. It's like they ran out of tape and were like "oops, gotta go no time to explain anything", while not even taking the time for a proper epilogue, it being split screen with the credits. Now, time to finally tackle the second game.
I thought you were talking about the second game in that last part of the comment and was a bit confused. I feel like you're gonna love the second one, despite some of its (minor imho) flaws.

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Finally got around to playing the Raven DLC after sitting on it for like a year, and my thoughts are rather... mixed.

The emotional core of the narrative is pretty sound - in theory. There's definitely a good amount to explore regarding how the trauma Raven had experienced in her past reflects on her psyche. She's a much more guarded and emotional person than she might initially let on, so digging deeper into that was a pretty strong creative choice. There's also the fact that the moments in GR2 proper where Raven takes matters into her own hands are some of my favorites, and speak to the voracity of her character. I was eager to see her in the spotlight again, and while I ultimately come out with a slightly greater appreciation of her character, the actual journey was rather messy.

I think the biggest flaw was the overbearing nature of L O R E. There are certain some interesting aspects to Gravity Rush's mythos, but it starts feel kinda self-indulgent when the emotions of the our characters aren't in the spotlight, or when the whims of the L O R E start to override the real, human choices that makes character driven storytelling so effective. And that's kind of where this DLC started to lose me.

It starts off well-enough - you really feel Raven's desperation in wanting to unlock the Ark, but what proceeds is a bunch of opaque musings about how parts of Raven's past/personality are lost because of time and space breaking down or whatever. And the next thing we know, Baby Raven is doing boring platforming to collect orbs, interacting with props, and dodging toy robots to get snippets of her past. The bits you do get are certain effective at adding some texture and giving an idea of the things Sachiya and Zaza went through, but when you compare it to, say, playing through Kat's position of royalty, and really feeling the monotony and lust for something more, that return to normalcy... it just pales in comparison. I don't really know what their bond was like, so it's hard for me to get really invested outside of saying, "Man, that's pretty sad :(".

I'm not necessarily saying that it had to match up to that moment, but why not actually let us *play* through the trials and tribulations Sachiya and Zaza went through rather than having us do bitch-basic platforming? It would enhance the emotional core of the story while also helping to curb the excess of L O R E.

Story stuff aside, playing as Raven again was fun, but this overall felt like "Worst Hits of Gravity Rush 2" as a gameplay experience. I love the base game, but it's not without its heavy flaws, and this unfortunately draws a lot from its flaws. Lots of gimmicky sections that are more annoying than anything, attempts to add variety that don't really land, and boss fights that bring out the worst in this game's camera system. The penultimate boss fight was kind of the nadir of it all, tbh. That, or the weird tower-defense-esque section.

Overall, though, it was nice to see Raven get some closure on her regrets and insecurities, even if it wasn't the most earned conclusion.

---------------

I also went back and mopped up the remaining side quests I hadn't finished, and it further cemented Kat as one of my all-time favorite protagonists. To see someone who believes so unabashedly in the goodness in people, to see someone who sticks their neck out so much for the downtrodden, the troubled, and those who have *any* need, really, is so damn inspiring.

It damn near brought a tear to my eye to see her sing "A Red Apple Fell From the Sky", and remind a bitter old man of his more wistful, optimistic days, culminating in a positive change in his life. To see him make an effort to enrich his own life and those around him due to an act of sheer kindness and youthful optimism. That moment was quintessential Gravity Rush.

It's doubtful that we're ever going to see a new entry in the series. But if we do, whether it continues the story of Kat and Raven, or brings us somewhere completely new with fresh faces, I hope that earnest, hopeful quality is never lost.

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember much of gravity rush 2s lore but ravens gameplay was definitely lacking. I was hoping to play ah Yuna at some point but again, lore wise it makes sense.

Raven definitely had more to lose in the story and her losing her brother was pretty sad iirc

Last edited:

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
I remember a really annoying boss fight in Raven's DLC, where you fight 2 peopel at once and have to do some type of stupid gimmick where you go through rings or something.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Recently started this up and am around chapter 17 where you guide the gringos. I am not having fun. Mission objectives are just so awful: take photos, don't get detected, defeat enemy, ask random people until you find the direction to go, fly for 1 minute in one direction and then 1 minute in the other and watch some YouTube vids in the meantime because you're doing nothing else... The new gameplay styles are mostly just annoying. Side missions are just a variety of these annoying tasks. It feels like the game is going out of its way to waste my time.

Every mission objective I get I just find myself thinking "ffs can you not give me an annoying task for once?". I just don't get it, did the devs just think up the worst gameplay elements possible and think it was a good idea to make most of the game revolve around them?. This is a superhero game, why am I doing such menial tasks for such a large proportion of the game? The first game was kinda the same but it was short, sweet and charming, so it was over before it really got to you. Can't say the same here, it's drawn out, bland and purposely annoying. Idk if the story is going to come together either, but there really hasn't been much in the way of actual plot so far, so it can't even contribute to my enjoyment.

I think style and atmosphere are the only things I can praise with this game, because it's just not fun in any sense. They really screwed up with this sequel and I'm quite disappointed they were unable to build upon the first game at all despite it being a full console release. I don't tend to drop games because I always want to give stuff (especially with a cult following) the benefit of the doubt, but I just don't see any reason to continue based on what the game's shown me so far. There's nothing here and I'm like 10 hours in.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
GR2 wraps most loose ends from GR1, adds more to the plot/setting and leaves some new loose ends for us to dream.

I too mostly used the alternate styles only when demanded, like when it's the only one available or due to some mechanic (other users being for challenges and to fuck around superman-style with Lunar), regular style regularly felt the most confortable to run. That said, I wasn't bothered by the jupiter-only-in-closed-space part most people complain (there are GOTY games that have it worse, but ok), so I might be more tolerant. Also I absolutely loved GR2 so yeah.

But can't really help if you find the random quests a waste of time. You'll likely want to skip all side quests and focus on the main one if you still want to finish it, because most side quests are Kat helping people with random/silly stuff (with dialogue that really builds her character way beyond most action game protags, but maybe it's not what people are after in the genre).

I too don't like to drop games I paid for and really try to push for it, but sometimes it's for the best.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Recently started this up and am around chapter 17 where you guide the gringos. I am not having fun. Mission objectives are just so awful: take photos, don't get detected, defeat enemy, ask random people until you find the direction to go, fly for 1 minute in one direction and then 1 minute in the other and watch some YouTube vids in the meantime because you're doing nothing else... The new gameplay styles are mostly just annoying. Side missions are just a variety of these annoying tasks. It feels like the game is going out of its way to waste my time.

Every mission objective I get I just find myself thinking "ffs can you not give me an annoying task for once?". I just don't get it, did the devs just think up the worst gameplay elements possible and think it was a good idea to make most of the game revolve around them?. This is a superhero game, why am I doing such menial tasks for such a large proportion of the game? The first game was kinda the same but it was short, sweet and charming, so it was over before it really got to you. Can't say the same here, it's drawn out, bland and purposely annoying. Idk if the story is going to come together either, but there really hasn't been much in the way of actual plot so far, so it can't even contribute to my enjoyment.

I think style and atmosphere are the only things I can praise with this game, because it's just not fun in any sense. They really screwed up with this sequel and I'm quite disappointed they were unable to build upon the first game at all despite it being a full console release. I don't tend to drop games because I always want to give stuff (especially with a cult following) the benefit of the doubt, but I just don't see any reason to continue based on what the game's shown me so far. There's nothing here and I'm like 10 hours in.
Sounds like it's just not for you. I never played the first game, but I loved GR2. Though, I didn't go in with the mindset of it being a superhero game. It looked like a charming casual game where I could enjoy messing around with gravity, and that's what I got.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
GR2 wraps most loose ends from GR1, adds more to the plot/setting and leaves some new loose ends for us to dream.

I too mostly used the alternate styles only when demanded, like when it's the only one available or due to some mechanic (other users being for challenges and to fuck around superman-style with Lunar), regular style regularly felt the most confortable to run. That said, I wasn't bothered by the jupiter-only-in-closed-space part most people complain (there are GOTY games that have it worse, but ok), so I might be more tolerant. Also I absolutely loved GR2 so yeah.

But can't really help if you find the random quests a waste of time. You'll likely want to skip all side quests and focus on the main one if you still want to finish it, because most side quests are Kat helping people with random/silly stuff (with dialogue that really builds her character way beyond most action game protags, but maybe it's not what people are after in the genre).

I too don't like to drop games I paid for and really try to push for it, but sometimes it's for the best.

Yeah, even when the side missions are clunky or out of place mechanically, I prefer it over them copy/pasting the use of the game's regular mechanics with only context. The dog mission could be frustrating but working with a mechanic specifically designed for that mission made it feel like a thoughtfully designed piece of the game.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020

Oh yeah, don't get me started on that Jupiter-only part. The Lunar style bit has been my favourite so far so I was quite excited for another similar section, but it ended up being one of the messier parts of the game (note: not messiest, because there are multiple occassions just as finnicky in the game which is a problem in itself...)

I think what I'm having issues with is that even the main missions feel like side missions due to all the silly, menial, annoying tasks you get given. There's not really any difference between the two at this point. It's an entire game of side-mission-like tasks with a tiny bit of plot thrown here and there.

Sounds like it's just not for you. I never played the first game, but I loved GR2. Though, I didn't go in with the mindset of it being a superhero game. It looked like a charming casual game where I could enjoy messing around with gravity, and that's what I got.
It's just a shame because the first game was for me, yet I've found the sequel such an unpleasant experience. I 100%'d the first game DLC and all in 6 days I enjoyed it so much, but I've already spent 1 week on GR2 and I've barely got halfway through the story and don't want to continue with it.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is a shame a Gravity Rush 3 might never happen. I am mostly satisfied with the story of the second game but I really would like more of this world and characters.

I would love to explore Eto at the very least.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is a shame a Gravity Rush 3 might never happen. I am mostly satisfied with the story of the second game but I really would like more of this world and characters.

Kat is such a great character with a fantastic design.

Would be a shame if this gen is the last that we see of her.

Mentioned this before but Platinum Games would be a fantastic pick to make her next game (with Toyama moving on to Silent Hill and all).

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kat is such a great character with a fantastic design.

Would be a shame if this gen is the last that we see of her.

Mentioned this before but Platinum Games would be a fantastic pick to make her next game (with Toyama moving on to Silent Hill and all).
I would be down for that!

I really like the combat in the series but it could be even better with some more character action mechanics. Kat is a very flexible character so it would work really well and could allow her to be even more of a stylish badass than she already was.

There are some loose ends they can pickup from GR2 but I would be fine with any story as long as it is about Kat and company. Kat especially is such a charming main character and I wish we would get more of her.

Hopefully one day we get something.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Oh yeah, don't get me started on that Jupiter-only part. The Lunar style bit has been my favourite so far so I was quite excited for another similar section, but it ended up being one of the messier parts of the game (note: not messiest, because there are multiple occassions just as finnicky in the game which is a problem in itself...)

I think what I'm having issues with is that even the main missions feel like side missions due to all the silly, menial, annoying tasks you get given. There's not really any difference between the two at this point. It's an entire game of side-mission-like tasks with a tiny bit of plot thrown here and there.

It's just a shame because the first game was for me, yet I've found the sequel such an unpleasant experience. I 100%'d the first game DLC and all in 6 days I enjoyed it so much, but I've already spent 1 week on GR2 and I've barely got halfway through the story and don't want to continue with it.

Both games have some pacing issues but I think it is less noticeable in GR due to it being a shorter game overall. Or maybe it was that I could stop and play/suspend on the Vita at the time.

For GR2, I too struggled to get into it. I'm not sure when or how. I think when I stopped trying to push and expect things to happen and I just started to have fun and mess around. It is interesting about the point about having Kat do odd menial tasks. While it is somewhat comical and the mechanics make it a bit frustrating. I really enjoyed it. Sometimes characters doing these things feel out of place but for Kat, this seems to be 90% of her life here. It is what gives her character, the way she meddles and gets involved with all people and their problems no matter where they are or the differences they have.

Kat getting involved and building up her name is part of her characterization and story building. The combat on its own probably wouldn't be able to hold my interest for so many hours.

Any ways. I really dislike recommending games with the caveat that it gets better later. I do hope you continue and manage to find enjoyment in it as I did though. GR2, despite all the problems it has is still one of my favourite games this generation. I know it feels counter intuitive to the problem of being bored and feeling like nothing is happening, but the only suggestion I have is to relax and go at your own pace for comfort.

Mist what was the ban banner for GR3 non-believers? 😼

Oh wait-
Hopefully one day we get something.

Nevermind.
*puts hammer away*

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both games have some pacing issues but I think it is less noticeable in GR due to it being a shorter game overall. Or maybe it was that I could stop and play/suspend on the Vita at the time.

For GR2, I too struggled to get into it. I'm not sure when or how. I think when I stopped trying to push and expect things to happen and I just started to have fun and mess around. It is interesting about the point about having Kat do odd menial tasks. While it is somewhat comical and the mechanics make it a bit frustrating. I really enjoyed it. Sometimes characters doing these things feel out of place but for Kat, this seems to be 90% of her life here. It is what gives her character, the way she meddles and gets involved with all people and their problems no matter where they are or the differences they have.

Kat getting involved and building up her name is part of her characterization and story building. The combat on its own probably wouldn't be able to hold my interest for so many hours.

Any ways. I really dislike recommending games with the caveat that it gets better later. I do hope you continue and manage to find enjoyment in it as I did though. GR2, despite all the problems it has is still one of my favourite games this generation. I know it feels counter intuitive to the problem of being bored and feeling like nothing is happening, but the only suggestion I have is to relax and go at your own pace for comfort.

Mist what was the ban banner for GR3 non-believers? 😼

Oh wait-

Nevermind.
*puts hammer away*
Hammer?!?

Gave me a shock that I saw a vision of the future!

Proof:
89960074_205327467550066_1694194326020214380_n.jpg

-Kat giving presentation about Gravity Rush returning!

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yessss.
HIcC6SF.gif

I should totally RTTP GR1+2 one day.
I gotta do that too.

Each time I remember the series I feel the urge to replay it.
The end of the Unreal Engine 5 reveal was very Gravity Rush-esque. Unfortunately that's not a game either.

That demo just made me think how cool it would be to see similiar tech for Gravity Rush 3.

The scale of the games are already very impressive and big so just imagine an even bigger world that you can traverse with a very fast gravity fall.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
So today I finished the game, and just now Raven's DLC. Seems I made my post at the wrong time, because the game drops all the nonsense at precisely chapter 18 lol. I really enjoyed the entire game from that point onwards, and I'd even say it was the best part in the series. The origin story was done quite well, I'm just a bit annoyed it was so short. Felt like the game should've started around there, and then they expanded it out rather than ending on it. The good stuff is probably only the last 1/4 of the story missions in regards to length (Like 2-3 hours), and it's such a shame they just rush through it and give it no time. It was over before it even started. There's so much about that whole section they could've expand upon, hell they easily could've made an entire game on it. So I'm just really perplexed with the direction they took.

Feels like the first 3/4 of the story was just filler. I enjoyed Lisa, but not really Cecie, and they didn't really have a role in the end beyond "friend comes and gets a hit on final boss". And the entire third act is just an excuse to give Cecie relevance, despite her not at all being important to the final plot. Raven totally gets shafted the entire game, and then they give you 10 minutes to play as her in the end which is such a tease because her move set is so much better than Kats... So it was good we got her full story in the DLC, but I certainly feel like we should've seen more of her in the main game.

So my final thoughts are that it is simultaneously an awful game, and it pretty good game. All my complaints still stand and the game sucks until chapter 18. It's actually even worse now that I know there is a good game in here, but it's such a tiny portion of the overall game. Feels like it had a strong identity crisis honestly.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
So today I finished the game, and just now Raven's DLC. Seems I made my post at the wrong time, because the game drops all the nonsense at precisely chapter 18 lol. I really enjoyed the entire game from that point onwards, and I'd even say it was the best part in the series. The origin story was done quite well, I'm just a bit annoyed it was so short. Felt like the game should've started around there, and then they expanded it out rather than ending on it. The good stuff is probably only the last 1/4 of the story missions in regards to length (Like 2-3 hours), and it's such a shame they just rush through it and give it no time. It was over before it even started. There's so much about that whole section they could've expand upon, hell they easily could've made an entire game on it. So I'm just really perplexed with the direction they took.

Feels like the first 3/4 of the story was just filler. I enjoyed Lisa, but not really Cecie, and they didn't really have a role in the end beyond "friend comes and gets a hit on final boss". And the entire third act is just an excuse to give Cecie relevance, despite her not at all being important to the final plot. Raven totally gets shafted the entire game, and then they give you 10 minutes to play as her in the end which is such a tease because her move set is so much better than Kats... So it was good we got her full story in the DLC, but I certainly feel like we should've seen more of her in the main game.

So my final thoughts are that it is simultaneously an awful game, and it pretty good game. All my complaints still stand and the game sucks until chapter 18. It's actually even worse now that I know there is a good game in here, but it's such a tiny portion of the overall game. Feels like it had a strong identity crisis honestly.

Did you get the second credits? The game is a little weird in that it sort of has two endings. The first ties up the main story in GR2 while the second sort of wraps things up.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been playing GR2 for the last few weeks, loving the game, transversal is awesome and the music and artstyle are god-tier. I've just got to Chapter 3 (Hekseville) but I just had to vent that Black Eagle (Episode 12) was the worst experience I've had with the game so far, I'll keep playing of course but I'm hoping there aren't many more missions like this ahead. This game isn't suited to in-door environments, and you couple that with time challenges and it just becomes frustrating, I like the concept of Jupiter Style but it doesn't help that the area where you first get it is just bad from both a gameplay and visual standpoint (which is a standout in itself considering the game has some really creative locations).

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Someone sent me a link to this, looks awesome.
raven_gravity-rush-2_gallery_5c4b9e5d940e5.jpg

raven_gravity-rush-2_silo.png

www.sideshow.com

Gravity Rush 2 Raven Statue by Prime 1 Studio

The Raven Statue by Prime 1 Studio is available at Sideshow.com for fans of Gravity Rush 2 and video games.

I don't buy this stuff but the details there looks great.

So I've been playing GR2 for the last few weeks, loving the game, transversal is awesome and the music and artstyle are god-tier. I've just got to Chapter 3 (Hekseville) but I just had to vent that Black Eagle (Episode 12) was the worst experience I've had with the game so far, I'll keep playing of course but I'm hoping there aren't many more missions like this ahead. This game isn't suited to in-door environments, and you couple that with time challenges and it just becomes frustrating, I like the concept of Jupiter Style but it doesn't help that the area where you first get it is just bad from both a gameplay and visual standpoint (which is a standout in itself considering the game has some really creative locations).
Late to reply but there aren't many sections like the tunnel Jupiter training bit if that is what you're referring to. I think Jupiter needed more work. As is, the concept is fine but I think most of us were in the other forms and only used jupiter primarily for slightly faster island travel.