• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What kind of player are you?

• Hook 'em all

Votes: 223 81.7%
  • More into jetpacks. Prob still remembers the combo for the tank cheat (GTA)

Votes: 25 9.2%
  • Moon jump. Anyone used this?

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Giant head mode. This kind of player actually enjoys video games

Votes: 20 7.3%

• Total voters

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I've been a grappling hook truther since Bionic Commando. They're always good.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I'm not coming up with a single instance where using a grappling hook wasn't fun... actually, I do: The Legend of Zelda series.

Titanfall, Doom Eternal, Batman Arkham games, Sekiro... Spider-Man (kinda). Pudge (Dota 2), Roadhog (Overwatch), Pathfinder(Apex Legends)

C'mon, show me some unfun hook games out there. Imagine adding grappling hooks to... Rocket League or something. FIFA/PES with hooks could make of it some Captain Tsubasa stuff
Grappling hooks were often limited in Zelda games for what services you can attach to but they were still fun, especially the double grappling hook in Twighlight Princess.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Huh... I remember this thing being slow and not very useful. Maybe I just didn't try it out enough.

In general, I don't care for it just being added willy nilly. Halo's addition seems pointless/arbitrary to me, same with Doom Eternal (though in that case I may be projecting my dislike of other additions). Otherwise, a good and integral grappling hook is nice. One that lets you do shit like in that video are what games should aim for if they're adding these things.
But it's cool.

Oct 27, 2017
It's physics based and preserves momentum. It's built primarily to swing from rather than simply ride until the end. It's a thing of beauty. Can also be used very effectively for tight mid air turns.
Yeah, I see that now. I clearly wrote it off too quick at the time. Damn, I missed out on good times.

A lot of the new shit in Doom Eternal put me off. Admittedly I stopped just after the grappling hook was introduced, but I it didn't grab me (ba-dum-tss) either.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I put it in the same catagory with double jump and BOTW's climb anywhere system. Anything that makes traversal easier and gives you the illusion of being able to "break" the game is fun.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Dying light has the best I have ever seen. The grappling hook in that game is a joy to use and should be copied by any game that incorporates one.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
The OG grappling hook...kind of...

61zK7USzOLL._AC_SX522_.jpg

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm still amazed Halo got this before Gears of War did. As I said last year:

I still feel strongly that the [Gears] series would be a blast if it kept all the weapons and controls the same, then added a room-warping grappling hook in order to speed up movement and add more vertical intensity.

arstechnica.com

Gears 5 review: An obvious gaming recommendation—if you already paid for it

What's that old saying about chainsaw-gun combat trying to please everyone?

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Grappling hook is a top tier tool. Titanfall 2 and Pathfinder in Apex are SO MUCH FUN. I love to swing! Ninja Rope in Worms is great too!

Pulling things and zipping up to places are cool too, but let me swing swing swing.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
A good grappling hook can make for an amazing experience but, man, a bad one just makes things miserable. I hate the way Megaman Zero 2's grappling hook felt, despite loving the rest of the game.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I believe it is required that a game needs to have a Grappling Hook of some form to be considered a Game of all Time. If it doesn't have one, doesn't qualify.

So hurry up Tetris and put a Grappling Hook in already.

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
Ya know, Valkr in Warframe has a grappling hook/tether as her first ability. I never used it because it took too much time to aim it (played on Switch, which is probably why).

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing better than a grappling hook is the air dash and arguably the wall jump. Ideally, all games should have these three traversal options.

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
The grappling hook is a great and fun way to make vertical gameplay fun. Jumping, air dash and whatnot is too slow and flying, jet pack, different machines is too easy.

The grappling hook is the perfect in between. It's easy to learn, but hard to master and you get the feeling that it requires skill. The controls are also often really good. Flying is often too easy or too hard. Often you can either easily get from A to B or else you end up fighting against the controls.

And the grappling hook can be used in and out of combat. It's equally as fun as a traversel tool as it as in combat.

I'm a grappling hook fanboy!

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
Add a grappling hook you get twice the fun. Add a hang glider you also get twice the fun.

Add BOTH and you get 10x the fun!

Simple math.

Also I Hope they add a Hook Shot to the Breath of the Wild sequel!

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Well idk about simple. Probably pretty hard to implement. Anyway, it has me more interested in a Halo game in a long time. Looks like fun.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just Cause 2 finalized the grappling hook by combining it with Physics. It has yet to be toped.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hell yes. And 2. Hook shot cancels all day. Hook shot cling to VSs, planting that sticky and back flipping off to put a round into it is beyond satisfaction.

Freedom Wars' Thorn is pretty amazing too, allowing you to retract toward foes for a collision shot. It's watered down in Freedom Wars 2... erm Sword Art Online Fatal Bullet, but it's still good fun to hook shot circles around enemies and get vertical where the game allows it.

R8GifIJ.gif

Last edited:

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
It's exactly what I wanted for the grapple beam in Metroid in the day.

Also a new Red Steel with a grapple beam would be 11/10.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think Sekiro's is my favorite one, although that's more of a linear hook shot, rather than a grappling hook you swing from.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Grappling hook is a really satisfying gameplay element, and I'm glad Halo is adding it. Gameplay formula was getting a bit stale so this is exactly the sort of addition I would have done myself.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
The double hook in Twilight Princess is goat.

Though after playing UC: Lost Legacy I kinda want a lasso in BOTW, traversal would be even more fun.