• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
Every generation starts out with games that were either built for the prior generation and ported, or were built using tools, middleware, and techniques that hadn't really had time to adapt significantly to the new hardware. Every generation begins with complaints that the games don't look all that different from the prior generation. Every generation has a few early games that show promise, but that for some reason or another get dismissed by many - usually having to do with strong preferences for a particular console / genre / art style.

By the end of every generation, the comparisons with the previous console get to be so starkly different and obvious that nobody can believe there was ever a debate. It takes time for everyone involved to learn to make the most of the new system, and only at the very end of the generation will you see games that were started with everyone involved able to hit the ground running.
Exactly 😏

OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
Eye popping posts like these is why I come to Era from time to time. 10/10!

Perhaps next time MS and esp. Sony ought to consult resetera forum members before they invest 10s to 100s of millions of dollars in R&D into HW, SW and related futureproofing so that they can save their costs and both 1st and 3rd party devs can listen to these era consultants and stop whining about how cross-gen games are a bane for some of them because of how they have to have to deal with memory asset management when designing levels so as not burden the last gen systems and start using Unity... cuz it is that easy!

Go Resetera consultants, go!
Lol facts.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Man. I remember the first time I saw the cut scenes for like, Double Dribble on the NES, and thought graphics couldn't get any better. A little while later I played Sonic 2 for the first time and was blown away again.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Ignorant comment IMO, of course avatar is CGI, but old CGI that isn't that impressive today and is missing rendering technology used today. TLOU II and Ratchet RA looks better overall, thanks to PBR and better GI.
My face when people on Era bat for Sony so hard, they think their games look better than Avatar.

Yiazmat

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think effects like these are doable this gen? Or are the consoles still too weak for this stuff?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Ignorant comment IMO, of course avatar is CGI, but old CGI that isn't that impressive today and is missing rendering technology used today. TLOU II and Ratchet RA looks better overall, thanks to PBR and better GI.
What in tarnation??? Avatar is still far far far beyond what's possible in realtime.

Hell, even a character like Davy Jones is way better than anything in a realtime video game. And that was 2005!

That's not the premise…I'm not an idiot…so the sarcasm isn't valid…I simply posted photos of what was beyond what Xbox One and PS4 at the time could do and stated tech specs of the soon to be released consoles…with titles like Death Stranding, TLOU II and the Order 1886 on last gen machines, with 5 times the power on current generation machines we can see titles that resemble the visuals shown. I actually have a background in computer animation and technology…and I'm well informed that we won't get the best rendered CGI level visuals on 10 TFLOP consumer hardware….but with the power these machines have we aren't totally far away as shown with the UE5 demo. Come back to this thread when true next gen titles get released and keep the same sentiment.
The UE5 demo was an incredibly limited environment where they could push things as far as possible without any consideration for playability. If you have an open world scene like this:
KrgGkZ.gif

filled with the same standard of AI established gen, suddenly the UE5 demo becomes impossible. And based on recent trends we aren't moving away from devs pursuing open worlds anytime soon. As quite frankly I can't see linear movie like games from the 360/ps3 era making a comeback anytime soon. Especially as developers prioritize extended playtime.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Bud, come on, this is crazy. Avatar looks far better than any games in almost every way. That's not to say Avatar hasn't aged; it absolutely has, and sometimes looks bad by today's standards. But so much of it is way beyond what we see in realtime game rendering right now.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of over the pursuit of realism. Full stop I think Fortnite is one of the most gorgeous games on the market right now. In 4K with HDR that game looks incredible. I'm much more interested these days in interesting overall art direction.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Umm... let's be serious now.

e587f9c58ce1b0f2e08cb657642f0903.jpg

You can like TLOU II as much as you want but come on now, being OP has gone to your head.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
does op really think PBR is new? the only industry it's new is in videogames. offline cg has had pbr rendering, ray traced lighting, etc for decades

luoapp

Oct 27, 2017
Umm... let's be serious now.

e587f9c58ce1b0f2e08cb657642f0903.jpg

You can like TLOU II as much as you want but come on now, being OP has gone to your head.

IMO, Avatar's skin and hair are worse than the current batch of AAA games. Skin in Avatar, wet or dry, is very plastic-y. The physics of hair is also bad, especially the wet loss strands, usually are just simply stuck to the face/neck. TBH, I was kind surprised how bad it was when I watched the movie first time. Character's facial expressions are also quite stiff. I guess the performance capture technique was not as advanced as what's available for today's AAA game studios.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
What in the fuck hahaha, I would have to massively disagree. not that impressive today? what in the fuck. its still the best quality CGI today and to be fair the only movies that will potentially top it will be the sequels. then to furthermore claim that avatar is in some way a reasonable target for this generation of games is beyond insane. Also PBR is not new at all and has been mainstream used in the previous gen (PS4/Xbox one)

The crazy expectations people have for this generation is fucking stupid. at the moment the UE5 engine stuff is the most impressive tech shown to date, but that technology is so immature that I highly doubt we will see anything even remotely like that this generation. Even the last generation the UE4 techdemos where super impressive but then downgraded for consoles. you WILL see the same stuff happen with UE5.

IMO, Avatar's skin and hair are worse than the current batch of AAA games. Skin in Avatar, wet or dry, is very plastic-y. The physics of hair is also bad, especially the wet loss strands, usually are just simply stuck to the face/neck. TBH, I was kind surprised how bad it was when I watched the movie first time. Character's facial expressions are also quite stiff. I guess the performance capture technique was not as advanced as what's available for today's AAA game studios.
where do you guys pop up from with these insane takes. Drop some examples in this thread, because I would love to know what this AAA performance capture and rendering magic is topping avatar.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
reality check post, don't use offline cgi as your next gen fidelity benchmark.
JIuFDlV.jpg

fwscHDq.jpg
Aq3qBvP.jpg

p1XtFmw.jpg

VB10aBH.jpg

It absolutely is different this time so far. That doesn't mean it won't show at some point, but again by this point in every generation up until now we've had those "shadowfall" moments. There isn't a single one of those yet.
Rift Apart is more impressive in comparison to the previous gen than Shadowfall was to me *shrug*

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

Avatar is far ahead of any game.

reality check post, don't use offline cgi as your next gen fidelity benchmark.
JIuFDlV.jpg

fwscHDq.jpg
Aq3qBvP.jpg

p1XtFmw.jpg

VB10aBH.jpg

Rift Apart is more impressive in comparison to the previous gen than Shadowfall was to me *shrug*

+1 why people continue to compare games with offline rendering movie. At least try with cheap children TV show. The IQ is often better but the shading and details are lacking.

fwscHDq.jpg

Against the pinnacle of realtime.
bastian-hoppe-artstation-bh-07.jpg

Be a little serious game will not look like 12 years old top offline rendering movie.

Avatar - The Computing power behind the movie - RenderNow

Ever wonder what kind of computing power it takes to create fantastic visual effects for movies like James Cameron’s Avatar? The simple answer is, a lot. And when you need superior computing to crunch the numbers for those awesome looking movie effects, major Hollywood movie productions often...

They could take hours to render a frame and they were using renderfarm of Tesla S1070 GPU server.

The visual effects department at Weta comprises of some major processing power consisting of 34 racks, each with four chassis of 32 machines a piece. The combination of those machines comprises a total of 40,000 processors along with 104 terabytes of memory using 10 GB networking adapters. And if you are wondering what type of computers Weta Digital uses, during an upgrade back in the summer of 2008 their system was rebuilt with over 4,000 HP BL2x220c blade computers.

To tackle the task of helping create Avatar, it took the Weta Digital super computers processing up to 1.4 million tasks per day to render the movie, which consisted of processing 8 gigabytes of data per second running 24 hours for over a month. Often each of Avatar's frames took several hours to render. And when you consider that is just one frame out of 24 for every second of film, you can imagine why the major processing power at Weta Digital was needed.

Jacopo Pantaleoni then stationed at Weta's New Zealand headquarters for a few months, helping them develop a pre-computed ray tracing engine to process billions of triangles in Avatar. They named it " PantaRay", derived from the Greek motto "panta rhei" (all things flow). Explained from a non-professional language, this engine greatly accelerates the CG production and rendering process, allowing Weta to use less time to create more complex scenes. For example, there is a scene in the movie where a large group of purple aliens are seen leaping from the helicopter. The background is forest-covered mountains. Using PantaRay, it took only a day and a half to complete the pre-calculation, and the previous rendering method It will take up to a week.

NVIDIA also claims that the PantaRay ray tracing rendering processor can perform up to 25 times faster on the Tesla S1070 GPU computing server than on a normal CPU server

Last edited:

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Next-gen games only either looks like upscaled PS3 games or better than Avatar, crazy stuff.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Devs have gotten very good at pushing cutscene visuals since it's a fixed camera non interactive environment, in game is still far behind something like Avatar though, especially water rendering, Avatar's water looked extremely good.

the_shadow085

Banned
Feb 28, 2020
as a dev, you tend to stay away from destructible environments because they're a pain in the ass to design around. I don't want to toss around the word "gimmick," but that's generally how they feel to me.

Making a world more interactive with destructable enviroments is not a feature I would consider as gimmick. Big empty worlds as you find them in the every AAA game these days without anything to in them (no ways to interact with them) are the true gimmicks these days. They are pointless. Empty and boring.

But it is obvious that deves do not like making such things. They were more innovative at the dawn of poloygonal gaming during the 5 and 6th gen era of consoles. today going bigger is the way to game when a game is made. But at the expensive of true interactive elements.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
IG6yrP.png

The density of the scenery is incredible. The gap is huge compared to last gen game and it is a first year game. We will see better later.
Yes!!
I was just avoiding material from ratchet because I wanted to play as fresh as possible and as a real pessimist guy About this gen still not impressing me visually I have to say I give a proper wow to this image.
If someone said that is from some CG movie I would easily believed.
This scene really looks fantastic and a real next gen game reveal.
Incredible.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree and my first console is a colecovision with donkey kong.

PS3:

IGC2d9.png

E1Qk-zhXIAIafrz

Ratchet_and_Clank-Nexus-2013-08-19-Game-01.PNG

IXP92x.png

R&C PS4 non promotional screenshot
DahSWaL.jpg

Ratchet-_-Clank%E2%84%A2_20160702104653.jpg

Ratchet-_-Clank%E2%84%A2_20160619105624.jpg

1614660083_639840_1614660455_sumario_grande.jpg

b3ee8376a7172206146b79b22a81b60b.jpg

JkIuCvy.jpg

IXPkFQ.png

R&C Rift Apart non promotional screenshot

IG6yrP.png

IG6hio.png

vlcsnap-2021-04-26-08bzj1p.png

ratchetclank_riftaparrxjl5.png

CYmFTZv.jpg

ratchetclank_riftaparsuj35.jpg

51149821629_0698480d72_k.jpg

IXPC0a.png

There is a huge gap again.

And Demon's soul's look like this

ibywRCs.gif

And for the future because games will continue to improve a lot
bastian-hoppe-artstation-bh-05.jpg

bastian-hoppe-artstation-bh-07.jpg

bastian-hoppe-artstation-bh-10.jpg

I don't think that person can tell the difference.

Oct 29, 2017
Every generation starts out with games that were either built for the prior generation and ported, or were built using tools, middleware, and techniques that hadn't really had time to adapt significantly to the new hardware. Every generation begins with complaints that the games don't look all that different from the prior generation. Every generation has a few early games that show promise, but that for some reason or another get dismissed by many - usually having to do with strong preferences for a particular console / genre / art style.

By the end of every generation, the comparisons with the previous console get to be so starkly different and obvious that nobody can believe there was ever a debate. It takes time for everyone involved to learn to make the most of the new system, and only at the very end of the generation will you see games that were started with everyone involved able to hit the ground running.

Killzone Shadow Falls disagrees.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I wish people would stop telling me about how blown away I'm going to be by this generation, if I just keep waiting.

the_shadow085

Banned
Feb 28, 2020
I wish people would stop telling me about how blown away I'm going to be by this generation, if I just keep waiting.

Yes everbody has to decide individually how big the blown way factor is going to be this gen. The last time I have been blown away was the PS3. have not been blown away by ps4 which has has been a small evolution of ps3. PS5 again will be just small evolution of ps4 tech. We are going to get the same stuff as with the ps4 just a bit more beautiful.

There is nothing wrong with that . The games are going to look decent just the wow factor is missing.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I think we are in a post graphics world.

Most games in general look incredible now. Some games look better than others and occasionally someone is going to do something that blows your mind in terms of animation, lighting, complexity of models, etc. But in general its small differences and most of them look great as long as the performance keeps up.

I think thats great because the focus is on artwork, gameplay, etc.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Realtime rendering will never beat offline rendering, no matter what.
RT in realtime is a revolution, don't get me wrong, but there will always be limitations.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm deadass curious as to what game that one poster thinks has better hair, skin, and performance capture than Avatar. Because I would like to play that game.

The last time I have been blown away was the PS3. have not been blown away by ps4 which has has been a small evolution of ps3.
The PS4 was not a small evolution of PS3, not even close. Go back and play any open world game on PS3. And then play a next gen only open world game on PS4. Materials and such looked awful on PS3 and there was a time where something as janky looking as Heavy Rain was considered photorealism. Not to mention performance. The majority of AAA games performed sub-optimally, at sub 30fps. Last gen was a big step forward if only because a stable framerate became the norm. Not to mention the widespread adoption of things like PBR which made the games look way way WAY better than they ever did. Suddenly you had games truly capable of being able to at least partially emulate the soft feel that comes with offline renders.
16399438239_1f727a88d7_o.jpg

On top of that, technology that became widespread during the ps3/360 generation, like performance capture, shined much more because of models with a metric fuckton more complexity. Even open world games which got a huge boost in asset quality that put the best of even the most linear high budget games of that generation to shame:
DJQ7.gif

aca4e9172c50b057309215999ce817eef6b5a84d.gifv

We genuinely got a generation where open world games didn't look significantly worse than incredibly linear games, or in the case of last gen, wide linear games, and that is a huge step up.

It was just as big as a jump between the ps2 and ps3 generation. And it genuinely always reeks of "I haven't actually played a game on that hardware from two generations ago in a long long time" when someone argues otherwise.

Making a world more interactive with destructable enviroments is not a feature I would consider as gimmick. Big empty worlds as you find them in the every AAA game these days without anything to in them (no ways to interact with them) are the true gimmicks these days.
Open world games are currently more systemic than they've ever been, having been influenced by things seen in the immersive sim games and/or games that have immersive sim elements like far cry. Not every game is like RDR2 in terms of interaction but there's a reason why that game is an outlier rather than the norm. One thing I find about the criticism about a lack of interaction is that "interaction" is always incredibly vague, especially with how it relates to the design of the game itself. Like does interaction mean the amount of attention to detail that a big studio can fit into an open world game? When I think of an open world that isn't very interactive, I think of something like CBP2077, which is so unfinished that the police system is less complex than...well most games that include a police system in anyway.

Last edited:

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
honestly, seeing all these obvious improvements during every gen and still seeing people go "I haven't seen a game impress me since the PS3 generation which coincidentally was when I was still a teenager! diminishing returns!" makes me roll my eyes every damn time

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Ark 2 looks close enough to Avatar and is claiming in game assets. It's a pretty long ways from Avatar..yet alone anything attempted on last gen machines.
ARK-2-Reveal-Trailer-4-14-screenshot.png

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

wat

why are you people like this

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Lol no offense but you should watch Avatar again
Yeah, haha, I had to seriously make sure that I wasn't tripping out when I read the last couple pages. I literally went and popped Avatar into my SX last night, watched it, and sat there thinking, "lol yeah no, there's no damn game in existence that looks like this." Maybe near the end of this generation, but even then that's a MASSIVE stretch.

Like, old tech? Do people here know what other "old CGI" movie that came out in the same year as Avatar? The second Transformers film. Is someone going to realistically say that games look better than that, or even close to it? We're talking about render farms used to create whole films and television here. Hell, the giant Devastator Decepticon from Transformers 2 literally destroyed some of the hardware when ILM was trying to render it.

There is a significant gap here, even with "old CGI".

EDIT: Like this, this is from 2009... And some of you all seriously think that even the best looking games come close?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
WhEgxoS.gif

Lc5pxk6.gif

9s9gj9K.gif

uFAPDw5.gif

EmI7BHk.gif

Just shut up about video games looking like Avatar. Jesuschrist.

Last edited:

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (5 days): Driveby hostility, prior ban for hostility
OP should be replaced and bans should distributed for people who don't want to have a legit discussion here, but keep pushing their bullshit. It's also embarrassing. Like are you below the age of 12? Lol...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there are folks who are using physically based materials as why video games are better than some movies??

where the fuck do yall think that shit came from? why do you think the pbr model was called "Disney BRDF"?