• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

Looking damn good! I think this game is in a very similar position to The Witcher 2 last gen. A bit too good graphically for current gen, but will be surprassed by a few games in the launch window for next gen. Well the difference will be what the next gen patch brings I suppose. But the world looks superbly realised. Very hyped for this.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Looking damn good! I think this game is in a very similar position to The Witcher 2 last gen. A bit too good graphically for current gen, but will be surprassed by a few games in the launch window for next gen. Well the difference will be what the next gen patch brings I suppose. But the world looks superbly realised. Very hyped for this.
Which next-gen launch window game will surpass Cyberpunk 2077 in terms of graphics, scope and overall polish? Serious question. Obviously, taking into account the game's updated next gen version.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I expect something like this in TLOU 2 or similar to the best parts of FF7 Remake.

The fun part is that we have both games already.

Just add 60 fps to this quality and next gen is a dream come true.

50045821617_fb5c395eb2_k.jpg

50045509736_609ac6b876_k.jpg

Last edited:

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Which next-gen launch window game will surpass Cyberpunk 2077 in terms of graphics, scope and overall polish? Serious question. Obviously, taking into account the game's updated next gen version.

Depends on what metric I suppose? Character models? Well there are already games with more impressive character models, but this game has a lot of models going on. Asset quality, modelling and density? I think what was shown in the Horizon 2 trailer was a bit better in that regard, particularly in the latter. LoD also is a bit lacking, and hopefully will be improved in the next gen patch. Lighting so far is excellent, but I think the materials still look a bit plasticy. Some of the ways light interacts with materials reminds me of Doom 3 for some reason. I am nitpicking, because I think the game looks awesome and can hang with what has been shown. I mean, the same could be said about Witcher 2 on PC last gen, even though I think it was bettered in many ways fairly early on last gen.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Just add 60 fps to this quality and next gen is a dream come true.
Having finished Seattle Day 1 I'm still pretty confident in saying that TLOU2 isn't even close to next gen. It is up there in the best this gen has to offer but it's not next gen in basically anything.
And blurring shots with DOF is the cheapest of tricks - you destroy the actual frame details and let your imagination run wild as to what these details are.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Having finished Seattle Day 1 I'm still pretty confident in saying that TLOU2 isn't even close to next gen. It is up there in the best this gen has to offer but it's not next gen in basically anything.
And blurring shots with DOF is the cheapest of tricks - you destroy the actual frame details and let your imagination run wild as to what these details are.

No need for DOF actually.

50046359757_5360ca69ef_k.jpg

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

I mean if we want to consider what we have seen that looks next gen across all games, I would say it would be:
  • Nanite and Lumen in UE5
  • ray tracing in stuff like Control and Cyberpunk
  • World transitions in R&C
It is early days. TLoU2 looks incredible regardless. I would place it alongside RDR2, Horizon Frozen Wilds and Cyberpunk 2077 as the most impressive visuals this gen.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
What does stuff like "visual", "aesthetic impact", and "visual flair and craft" even mean in the context of one hardware level over another though? A lot of those words to me just sound like praise for ND's art direction more than TLOU2's actual technology. A lot of it sounds subjective. Maybe I need to go back and look at Metro's Taiga chapter, idk.

TLOU2's character animation may very well be something we've scarcely seen before, but that doesn't mean it's beyond the realm of PS4. The fact that it runs comfortably on a PS4 proves it isn't really "next-gen". Not having seen something before doesn't mean it's next-gen in terms of hardware generations. And in all other aspects I still don't see yet how TLOU2 looks better than PC Modern Warfare (even without raytracing).

And in regards to being "next-gen", I think there will pretty immediately be next-gen-only games that blow TLOU2 out of the water. There may be a clear line between games from earlier in this gen and games of the last year or so, but I also think there's a clear line between late-gen games and early next-gen games. This reminds me of how people saw late-gen PS2 games like Shadow of the Colossus and God of War 2. Those games used faked or primitive versions of effects that became common in the PS3 era, and are probably among the best-looking games to ever grace the PS2, but they do not at all look like PS3 games. When we look back, TLOU2 may even be the best-looking game that runs on the PS4, but when we look back I don't think anybody is gonna mistake TLOU2 for a PS5 game (barring any PS5 update).
Can you please post videos and/or pictures from Modern Warfare that show off what you're talking about. I've looked at some YouTube videos and I'm not seeing anything special.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
the mp footage looks decent, but the campaign is impressive

Watched on my phone earlier. Watching on my 4K tv now, and apart from the framerate differences TLOU2 looks so much better, gameplay as well as cutscene before the gameplay graphics. TLOU2 is on another level, but sure it is 30fps, but we all know it will be 60fps in the eventual PS5 patch or remaster. This just looks like a regular PC fps with decent graphics but still looks like a game. So many moment sin TLOU2, custscene and gameplay wise look way better to me. Honestly.

Last edited:

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
So far with regards to ray-tracing we have:

- Ratchet and Clank (reflections)
- Gran Turismo 7 (reflections)

Can anybody name more to add to the list?
a few more from the PS show like Pragmata, probably Spidey, Demon Souls etc.

From the older Xbox show there are quite a few more that we know of as well, I think they actually put out an official list on that front.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
So you're cool with paying more than $60 for a game then, yeah?

Happy to pay $200 for the right game. TLOU or GTA6? No question. Same for Street Fighter 6 or the next God of War, or Cyperpunk 2077, etc. etc. Some games just deserve triple digit $$$ because of the insane value they bring. And I have mad love for those californian/polish/scottish/japanese geniuses.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
The upgrade is huge, but we have to see gameplay to make a definitive judgement.

Nice video again from DF.

OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
Happy to pay $200 for the right game. TLOU or GTA6? No question. Same for Street Fighter 6 or the next God of War, or Cyperpunk 2077, etc. etc. Some games just deserve triple digit $$$ because of the insane value they bring. And I have mad love for those californian/polish/scottish/japanese geniuses.
I agree

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

CP77 looks great but I don't really understand why people are saying PC gamers will need 2080Ti's to get 60fps even at 720p (1080p DLSS).

Out side of the amount of neon signs on the street sections it's a bit of a letdown tbh. The streets are absolutely empty and the bars and clubs have people but groups of two or three. It's a far cry away from the first gameplay where we saw more NPC's on screen than in AC Unity.

It has absolutely horrendous pop in too when driving.

It will be really interesting to see how the game differs from Xbox One to the PC version to the next gen console versions.

I hope the game really drops jaws when it arrives.

It's interesting people are saying TLOU II will be blown away visually by next gen games because it's a PS4 game and it's all art yet CP77 won't be even though it will run on an XB1?

There are very few better artists than ND and Rockstar's artists and they also had long development cycles with almost unlimited budgets so I don't think RDR II and TLOU Il will be blown away by early next gen launch games imo.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
That's not unlike what we've already seen this gen.

Fidelity-wise it close in the broader context but details-wise that is on a different level (hair, NPC texture detail, lack of notable clipping etc). And so is the character, esp. facial animation (very impressive if its almost entirely data driven instead of mo-cap, which is very likely given the enormous amount of dialogue in the game).

OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
Fixed.

It must kinda suck having to follow up TLOU2 so soon, in a way.

It's the overall visual, aesthetic impact that makes TLOU2 look like something beyond the realm of the PS4.

Metro Exodus might ray tracing, but it doesn't even remotely compare to the visual flair and craft of TLOU2. And one really cannot downplay the quality of the facial and character animation in TLOU2, as far as I'm concerned in that aspect it's most certainly a generational difference compared to its peers.
This.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm expecting these visuals next gen tbh.
You might get a game with this, but don't count on many games pulling this off.
A. these things are very dependent on pipeline and artist ability, not all studios are made equal.
This guy has incredible experience working with photogrammetry assets, something even naughty dog isn't doing.
B. Getting this kind of fidelity up is incredibly expensive. even working with packs like quixel, those packs simply don't cover the amount needed for a full game.
C. All of this might run real time, but this is without any game code at all. Adding things like AI, physics, game logic, etc. kills performance drastically
Combine this with these demos being very large in size, which is why a lot of these cool movies of guys making cool scenes in UE4 is something that is possible real time, but you wont see for a while in an actual full game

also what you see there is rendered in engine in UE4, but there is no info to what the frame rate this runs realtime and at what resolution, so that is on PC with a beefy card most likely, and is as I said before without any game code stealing performance underneath. and no the video is not representative to real time, its a trailer made in the UE4 sequence editor and exported via the High Quality Media Export which then renders either frames or full video at whatever setting you like in high quality.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
You might get a game with this, but don't count on many games pulling this off.
A. these things are very dependent on pipeline and artist ability, not all studios are made equal.
This guy has incredible experience working with photogrammetry assets, something even naughty dog isn't doing.
B. Getting this kind of fidelity up is incredibly expensive. even working with packs like quixel, those packs simply don't cover the amount needed for a full game.
C. All of this might run real time, but this is without any game code at all. Adding things like AI, physics, game logic, etc. kills performance drastically
Combine this with these demos being very large in size, which is why a lot of these cool movies of guys making cool scenes in UE4 is something that is possible real time, but you wont see for a while in an actual full game

Thank you for injecting more data for context. Personally, I see that as PS6/XSX2 fidelity (if we still have console generations by then) allied to more widespread use of RT features- And truth be told, even then, it may be rarer than what most people expect given your point, B. Unless developers and/or engine creators find a way to reduce time and cost of implementing these assets with personal touches, en masse, then I really do not see it being the norm.

That said, cost and performance saving innovations have been conceived and implemented over the lifespan of current generation that were foreseen by the general gaming public. Suffice it to say, we may very well see more of it in the next 7 years.

cjn83

Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Thank you for injecting more data for context. Personally, I see that as PS6/XSX2 fidelity (if we still have console generations by then) allied to more widespread use of RT features- And truth be told, even then, it may be rarer than what most people expect given your point, B. Unless developers and/or engine creators find a way to reduce time and cost of implementing these assets with personal touches, en masse, then I really do not see it being the norm.

That said, cost and performance saving innovations have been conceived and implemented over the lifespan of current generation that were foreseen by the general gaming public. Suffice it to say, we may very well see more of it in the next 7 years.

I fear his point "D" will be the main obstacle, even for the second half of the decade. There's no tech on the horizon as far as I'm aware which will alleviate that.

OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
I fear his point "D" will be the main obstacle, even for the second half of the decade. There's no tech on the horizon as far as I'm aware which will alleviate that.
I think that budget will be the biggest issue. According to epic the UE5 demo only uses the same amount of GPU timing as Fortnite on consoles at 60 fps.....Let that sink in...