• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
unchartede284a2-4_-a-thief_s-end_20160515143357.png

Horizon-Forbidden-West-Announcement-Trailer-PS5-webm-20200614-150416-465.png

it really doesn't look like uncharted 4
The scale of HFW is much bigger and dense. It has a Pre-Rendered look sometimes along with Kena, Spiderman and Ratchet and Clank.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Thinking about the PS5 Future of gaming event, I watched the stream live as it happened, then each of the trailers 2-5 times afterwards on Youtube in 4K.

Here's my thoughts regarding the graphics/tech that was shown:

Best display of next gen:
Ratchet and Clank
. On the initial stream, this game looked not good, but watching on Youtube later, and it's really an amazing looking game. The graphics as super crisp and detailed. That combined with that dimension warping, this was the "next gen" highlight of the show for me.

Games that gave me next gen vibes:

Project Athia, Returnal, Pragmata (minus the hair on the girl character) and Horizon Forbidden West. At first watch, I didn't think HFW looked "next gen" but after rewatching it and paying attention certain details (such as the clouds) as well as comparison shots (like below), it's a great looking game.

Games I would have a hard time telling if it was PS5 or a great looking PS4 Pro game:
Demon Souls, NBA2k21, Hitman 3, Jett, Godfall, Oddworld, Kena, Destruction Allstairs, Stray, Spiderman MM, GT7 (external view looked great, but I was dissapointed by the cockpit view), Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo

Games which looked closer to a current gen game:
Bugsnax, Resident Evil Village, Sackboy, Astro Playroom, Solar Ash

Aloy.jpg

HZD against HFW

The hair, shading, ears, eye everything is better.
Images like this really help to show the next gen leap of HFW. I think when watching the trailer I had a hard time noticing elements that showed how it was a "next gen" title, which for this game I think come down to the vivid, colorful artstyle of this series. In close up shots, the detail is definitely there.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Amazing news.
There wasn't a Killzone Shadow Fall moment where you knew right away it was a gen apart from the PS3, but we can still get one eventually with a more linear title like say Uncharted 5 and whatnot.
There were Killzone moments in my opinion with Ratchet and Horizon 2 specifically. Some other games looked awesome, but these two blow my mind.
I thingk many people have rose tinted googles on about how good a game looks. This isn't just about blooborne.
I think you are right on the money and imo people remember their favorite game graphically much better than they actually are. While Horizon 1 for example is incredibly impressive for a PS4 game, Horizon 2 is a expected and clear leap. Case in point Chris comparison.
Aloy.jpg

HZD against HFW

The hair, shading, ears, eye everything is better.
The leap is really staggering and when I watched the stream this was visible aswell. I guess people remember their favorite games Gears, Horizon, ... looking much better than they actually do.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I thought Horizon clearly looked next-gen. Also, Stray looked phenomenal. I think the reason most people were disappointed was that apart from Ratchet n Clank, none of the games really showed over-the-shoulder gameplay. Which made it really difficult to get a 'feel' for the graphics. We already have cutscenes that look great on current gen consoles, and CGI trailers have muddied up our ideas about graphics in a game trailer. True gameplay would have made a far stronger impression.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Amazing news.
There were Killzone moments in my opinion with Ratchet and Horizon 2 specifically. Some other games looked awesome, but these two blow my mind.
I think you are right on the money and imo people remember their favorite game graphically much better than they actually are. While Horizon 1 for example is incredibly impressive for a PS4 game, Horizon 2 is a expected and clear leap. Case in point Chris comparison.
The leap is really staggering and when I watched the stream this was visible aswell. I guess people remember their favorite games Gears, Horizon, ... looking much better than they actually do.

Hey Please did this a comparison between an old videogame cg and Horizon 2 cutscene. Horizon 2 looks very good.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It didn't, really. Here's the announcement trailer, it's pretty representative of the game we've got.
The intro that you see in that trailer is actually from the intro of the game which is a pre rendered video.
Though there were some upgrades to the engine after that trailer which improved the appearance of that pre rendered video in the final game.

Like this cutscene in the game is pre rendered

Last edited:

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019

People definitely always tend to develop rose-tinted memories of the games they liked as time goes by. That, combined with lower-res broadcasts and streaming compression, not to mention just people maybe not having great internet or watching the shows on shitty screens, makes it difficult for people to actually be able to recognize how much of a leap there really is.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

Non-technical, but I think it does a good job of highlighting the obvious differences that exist. The difference in this gens transitions, is that games already look good enough to hold up pretty well for a long time. Next gen games are just going to look that much better, really making strides in areas that this gen still had evident weaknesses in. LoD, geometric detail, asset density with scale

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Non-technical, but I think it does a good job of highlighting the obvious differences that exist. The difference in this gens transitions, is that games already look good enough to hold up pretty well for a long time. Next gen games are just going to look that much better, really making strides in areas that this gen still had evident weaknesses in. LoD, geometric detail, asset density with scale

When we wll have the console and begins to play a few next generation game, current gen games will looks outdated. This is good to feel this because this is probably the last time it will arrive.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's strange to me the way Hellblade II was dragged over the coals when it was revealed yet Horizon II (which isn't as jaw dropping visually in my personal opinion) seems to be getting a free pass when showing what appears to be in engine cut scenes.

Ratchet was the real show stealer imo due to it showing actual gameplay although I'm playing the original at the moment on PS4 Pro for the first time and it feels extremely unresponsive to me in part because of how much they focused most of the processing power on the visuals. I looked up the original PS2 game on YouTube and it instantly looks much better due to it being 60fps. It's a real shame consoles seem to be sticking with 30fps yet again for another seven years.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
It's strange to me the way Hellblade II was dragged over the coals when it was revealed yet Horizon II (which isn't as jaw dropping visually in my personal opinion) seems to be getting a free pass when showing what appears to be in engine cut scenes.

Ratchet was the real show stealer imo due to it showing actual gameplay although I'm playing the original at the moment on PS4 Pro for the first time and it feels extremely unresponsive to me in part because of how much they focused most of the processing power on the visuals. I looked up the original PS2 game on YouTube and it instantly looks much better due to it being 60fps. It's a real shame consoles seem to be sticking with 30fps yet again for another seven years.

This is cutscene not in-engine trailer it runs at 4k 3 fps not 60% of 4k at 24 fps and some part of the trailer is like AC Vahalla trailer or Spiderman Miles morales probably gameplay from a cinematic viewpoint camera.

jO2Utm.gif

Jf78Rfd.gif

videoplayback13.gif

And maybe this
Untitled-6eeaf316b0b5a94d0.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is cutscene not in-engine trailer it runs at 4k 3 fps not 60% of 4k at 24 fps and some part of the trailer is like AC Vahalla trailer or Spiderman Miles morales probably gameplay from a cinematic viewpoint camera.
And maybe this

24fps, really lol?

Horizon II is cut scene / in engine or whatever else they term non gameplay footage until they show proper gameplay like the original Horizon E3 reveal gameplay. The Horizon II footage is no different from Hellblade II. Not gameplay.

I'm sure both games will look similar to the in engine / cutscene footage they've shown.

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Horizon and Ratchet looked spectacular, even though they both appeared to be entirely in-game cinematics. Still, I have no doubt that gameplay for both games will look amazing.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Horizon and Ratchet looked spectacular, even though they both appeared to be entirely in-game cinematics. Still, I have no doubt that gameplay for both games will look amazing.
What are you talking about? They specifically showed gameplay for Ratchet and even talked about it. The blazing fast loading was also in the gameplay

Nozem

Oct 27, 2017
I think people need to go and look at the game trailers in 4k. this is not even close to current gen.
Well that's the thing right? With previous generations you could clearly see the difference even on a low res video, because of its contents: bigger worlds, more enemies, better animation, etc. If you need a 4k stream to spot the improvements that means we're looking at mostly the same things as the previous generation, just in higher resolution.

I personally think next gen looks pretty good, but I can understand people's disappointment.

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are you talking about? They specifically showed gameplay for Ratchet and even talked about it. The blazing fast loading was also in the gameplay

Yeah I get that, but we've been down this road before with so many other games. I'm going to be skeptical about any company's claims until I see somebody with a controller that is actually playing the game (ie God of War reveal ).

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019
People are talking about Ratchet and Horizon but this was the most impressive looking game to me. Everything about it is extremely impressive. It looks like high end CG.

49996076396_af818dc790_k.jpg

49995557468_a8f8c9b225_k.jpg

49996076326_414cded7c9_k.jpg

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's the thing right? With previous generations you could clearly see the difference even on a low res video, because of its contents: bigger worlds, more enemies, better animation, etc. If you need a 4k stream to spot the improvements that means we're looking at mostly the same things as the previous generation, just in higher resolution.

I personally think next gen looks pretty good, but I can understand people's disappointment.

I disagree, I think all the games looked next gen when compared to current consoles and it was pretty obvious. And the cinematics looked insane. The disappointing part of it was when you looked at the gameplay they actually showed and then you compared it to some of the best looking PC games out now. The game play they showed look very comparable to the PC versions of games like Control, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and RDR2 at 4k max settings. It's not immediately obvious until you go back and play the console versions, but the PC versions of games have really pulled away from their console counterparts in the last couple of years. Still I have no doubt that the games will look amazing at launch, but I think we're going to have to wait till we move past the cross-gen phase before we see some truly next-gen visuals (I think most of us expect that to be the case).

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
24fps, really lol?

Horizon II is cut scene / in engine or whatever else they term non gameplay footage until they show proper gameplay like the original Horizon E3 reveal gameplay. The Horizon II footage is no different from Hellblade II. Not gameplay.

I'm sure both games will look similar to the in engine / cutscene footage they've shown.

The Horizon II cutscenes look like they were taken from a game in an advanced state, they are almost certainly real time. Some of the stuff like posted above was even gameplay just at a cinematic camera angle, i.e., transverse shots. The Hellblade 2 trailer was likely an engine test. Rendered at 24 fps, is weird though...I suspect it was rendered offline with real time assets, but not sure. I mean the fact that they were like 'we are going to be shifting to UE5' which won't be available to late next year suggests it is 2022 or beyond. So to me it seemed like an engine test.

Ken_matthews: really? I think the issue is it is not clear exactly what was gameplay. H2 looked like it had gameplay sections, and those looked considerably better than RDR2 on PC. Environmental geometry for instance is higher. It is pretty obvious where compromises with RDR2 were made at scale, they were just made very cleverly.

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
They should have redesigned Aloy, changed her clothes and hairstyle or something, that would have made the upgrade more obvious imo.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the confusion by some. Isn't it obvious already that all cut-scenes are realtime? As in not pre-rendered? I mean, yeah, they're improved and enhanced just like pretty much all cut-scenes this gen, and gameplay won't look quite as good, but they are running on the game engine, they're just not as taxing.

Gameplay will never look as good as cut-scenes unless developers purposely do so, but most improve them whether with better textures, shaders, lighting, etc. Particularly AAA games.

Either way, gameplay will look great next gen and it will be a big step above from this gen even if not as obviously apparent.

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ken_matthews: really? I think the issue is it is not clear exactly what was gameplay. H2 looked like it had gameplay sections, and those looked considerably better than RDR2 on PC. Environmental geometry for instance is higher. It is pretty obvious where compromises with RDR2 were made at scale, they were just made very cleverly.

If there was any actual gameplay in the Horizon trailer, than yeah, it beats any game out now by a mile, no question about it. It looked insane. But like I said I'm skeptical until I see some guy or gal with controller in hand.

Zoyos

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They should have redesigned Aloy, changed her clothes and hairstyle or something, that would have made the upgrade more obvious imo.

This is a silly line of thought, particularly from someone wanting to make a graphical comparison. The original game had numerous outfits for the character providing variety for the players and the second likely will have at least the same. Keeping the styles and outfits consistent in promotional materials provides a direct comparison for individuals who want to evaluate differences regarding how things like cloth physics, lighting, geometry density, texture quality, etc. have been changed in their engine.

I can't tell you the number of times I have seen a promotional image or video and heard someone complain about how the art direction, lighting, models and textures, time of day were changed for artistic purposes so significantly that comparisons for certain aspects become very difficult.

Side Note: Based on the total amount, variety, and accuracy of simulation it appears very likely to me that Guerrilla is using neural networks in some fashion to improve the speed at which the sims are running. Hair, cloth, fluid (water and air), particles, clouds all in a single shot when trying to brute force some of these at full accuracy by themselves would normally tank performance.

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
This is a silly line of thought, particularly from someone wanting to make a graphical comparison. The original game had numerous outfits for the character providing variety for the players and the second likely will have at least the same. Keeping the styles and outfits consistent in promotional materials provides a direct comparison for individuals who want to evaluate differences regarding how things like cloth physics, lighting, geometry density, texture quality, etc. have been changed in their engine.
Well yeah, I know I played the original, I'm just saying the impact would have been greater for the casual crowd, i know my wife said "It looks exactly the same". But yeah I guess this is not the kind of discussion going on here, apologies.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
If there was any actual gameplay in the Horizon trailer, than yeah, it beats any game out now by a mile, no question about it. It looked insane. But like I said I'm skeptical until I see some guy or gal with controller in hand.

Fair play to that! Hopefully we see more gameplay footage soon. R&C looked pretty darn impressive though, since the trailer did show gameplay, albeit mostly a linear cinematic section.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
People are talking about Ratchet and Horizon but this was the most impressive looking game to me. Everything about it is extremely impressive. It looks like high end CG.

49996076396_af818dc790_k.jpg

49995557468_a8f8c9b225_k.jpg

49996076326_414cded7c9_k.jpg

Btw it's made by this person:

www.youtube.com

koooolalala

hk-devblog.com

STRAY Devblog

The one you have been obssessed by posting his videos and tech demos. I was aware he was making this game for years and I told you he was doing a game years ago.
And this is cross-gen btw.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
Wait until the next gen engines start to pour in. The UE5 Demo was CGI quality (literally)guys and this is early in the gen..... and I think HFW is near pre-rendered quality tbh only thing is the IQ (jaggies) which doesn't match CGI.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope everyone doesn't look like a real person. It gets boring having all these face models and the lack of much artistic style.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
probably a single 2080Ti. don't think UE4 scales with multiple cards all that well
Nice, now i wonder what needs to be downscaled to work on an RTX 2080 ish card, which i expect the PS5/XSX to have, a slight resolution downgrade, lower textures?

In fact i think a checkerboard solution coupled with VRS can get this sort of fidelity on the next gen consoles.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I actually kinda hate the push for photo realism and I think it's a net negative for the industry.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually kinda hate the push for photo realism and I think it's a net negative for the industry.
everything has their place. photorealism is probably the best way to show hardware progress. personally, I'd like to see someone use a more cartoony style with solid colors and push ray tracing effects. solid colors would make bounce lighting pop a whole lot more